Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
randall146

USA Shootings

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

odd how trump and pompeo come out with immediate defense of the saudi crown.....

I remember when Obama leaned a little too far in on a bow with the king of Saudi Arabia, and he got Roto-rootered for it. This reaction is indeed puzzling.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

odd how trump and pompeo come out with immediate defense of the saudi crown.....

link ?

 

thing is, if Trump blasted the US for allowing muslims to come in and train like this, he'd be called a racist wouldn't he ? 

Edited by Stealthycat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bananafish said:

he banned all muslims from entering the US

link ?

stopping radical muslims from coming into the US isn't racist - and being muslim is a choice (religion) not a race anyway

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston Police chief: condemns the republican stance on gun control

Quote

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo demanded U.S. senators from Texas choose sides in an ongoing gun control battle Monday morning.

"Make up your minds," Acevedo asked of GOP Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz. "Whose side are you on? Gun manufacturers? The gun lobby, or the children who are getting gunned down in this country every single day?"

At the funeral of a Houston police officer, shot and killed when responding to a domestic violence situation

Quote

Acevedo is angry the U.S. Senate hasn't renewed the federal Violence Against Women Act. A provision of the bill, passed in the U.S. House, would close the so-called "Boyfriend Loophole." Federal law currently prohibits felons and domestic abusers married to or living with their victims from buying firearms.

Dating partners not living with alleged victims are not affected. Under current law, they can still pass a background check.

The U.S. Senate has stalled on the legislation prompting Acevedo's outrage.

"I don't want to see their little smug faces about how much they care about law enforcement when I'm burying a sergeant because they don't want to piss off the NRA," said Acevedo.

The response can be summed up in the classic "now is not the time to discuss gun control, thought and prayers"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, msommer said:

Houston Police chief: condemns the republican stance on gun control

At the funeral of a Houston police officer, shot and killed when responding to a domestic violence situation

The response can be summed up in the classic "now is not the time to discuss gun control, thought and prayers"

Love this chief calling out the do-nothing republicans and the Russian backed NRA.

"I don't want to see their little smug faces about how much they care about law enforcement when I'm burying a sergeant because they don't want to piss off the NRA," said Acevedo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Bomb squad investigates stolen U-Haul from the scene

The bomb squad is examining a stolen U-Haul from the scene, according to the Jersey City Police Chief Michael Kelly.

The U-Haul, which has removed from the scene, may contain an incendiary device, he said.

Kelly said the shooting investigation will "take weeks, maybe months."

“The crime scene is very extensive and is at three locations at least,” he said. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its not legal to kill people - we have laws against it

for every person killed with a gun this week, how many were beaten to death? choked to death? killed with a knife or car? how many overdosed on illegal or legal drugs ? died from elective surgeries? 

media glorifies violence and death when guns are used for political agenda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

its not legal to kill people - we have laws against it

for every person killed with a gun this week, how many were beaten to death? choked to death? killed with a knife or car? how many overdosed on illegal or legal drugs ? died from elective surgeries? 

media glorifies violence and death when guns are used for political agenda

1.  do you know the answer to your question?

2.  why are you starting with the position that it's not legal to kill, but are including examples of people dying during legal or elective means?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

1.  do you know the answer to your question?

2.  why are you starting with the position that it's not legal to kill, but are including examples of people dying during legal or elective means?

 

the answer is some to many .... nobody is concerned with all those dead people so you just don't see it on the news and its not used for political agenda so, ....  :(

the problem is the exceptionall small % of people who want to hurt others

today 99.999% of gun owners did nothing wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

the answer is some to many .... nobody is concerned with all those dead people so you just don't see it on the news and its not used for political agenda so, ....  :(

the problem is the exceptionall small % of people who want to hurt others

today 99.999% of gun owners did nothing wrong 

So you cant answer either question.  Looks like you are also posting these questions for a political agenda as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is like the lite version of the impeachment thread.

Nobody is changing their stance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol: at the ####show forming in Virginia. 
 

I told you guys for years Law Enforcement wasn't going to enforce unconstitutional gun control laws. 

Now the group that invented "Sanctuary cities" are throwing a tantrum over "Sanctuary counties"

Little tip, the National Guard isn't going to come enforce your law either 

 

#popcorn 

Edited by [icon]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [icon] said:

:lol: at the ####show forming in Virginia. 
 

I told you guys for years Law Enforcement wasn't going to enforce unconstitutional gun control laws. 

Now the group that invented "Sanctuary cities" are throwing a tantrum over "Sanctuary counties"

Little tip, the National Guard isn't going to come enforce your law either 

 

#popcorn 

I live right in the middle of a lot of this.  It's gotten crazy here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, KCitons said:

 

Nobody is changing their stance. 

Such a bad post.  You have changed your opinion on this matter and love pointing out that fact.  I have posted about changing my position on this topic too, as have others.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Such a bad post.  You have changed your opinion on this matter and love pointing out that fact.  I have posted about changing my position on this topic too, as have others.  

 

 I was referring to your conversation with Stealthycat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, KCitons said:

 I was referring to your conversation with Stealthycat. 

Not trying to change a stance, just want him to answer a direct question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not trying to change a stance, just want him to answer a direct question. 

it was somewhat rhetorical in nature and you know that

we know what the media feeds us - all the things that happen the media doesn't give us we don't know about - we are slaves to information and that pipe is controlled in many ways by political agenda

I'm telling you, if the news flooded every night people being stabbed withing 3 months people would be asking why we don't have strong knife control laws

they don't care about it right now - flood the media ? then they care because its what in front of their faces

 

do you agree ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not trying to change a stance, just want him to answer a direct question. 

Truth is, I never quoted you in my comment.

Sorry you took offense to my comment and called it "such a bad post".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KCitons said:

Truth is, I never quoted you

True, which is why I thought you were talking about the thread in general. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

True, which is why I thought you were talking about the thread in general. 

Which I was. Yet your response was:

4 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Such a bad post.  You have changed your opinion on this matter and love pointing out that fact.  I have posted about changing my position on this topic too, as have others.  

 

And

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not trying to change a stance, just want him to answer a direct question. 

????

 You made it personal, not me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, if you were talking about this thread in general and nobody changing their minds, then yes - it was a bad post, especially coming from you who has talked about their mind being changed on the topic.  

If you were talking about me and SC griping back and forth then it's probably a little more true.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

it was somewhat rhetorical in nature and you know that

we know what the media feeds us - all the things that happen the media doesn't give us we don't know about - we are slaves to information and that pipe is controlled in many ways by political agenda

I'm telling you, if the news flooded every night people being stabbed withing 3 months people would be asking why we don't have strong knife control laws

they don't care about it right now - flood the media ? then they care because its what in front of their faces

 

do you agree ?

You aren't living in the 40s and dependent on the one local paper giving you info.  You aren't a slave to anything.  It's been mentioned a few times in here, and I have seen it in multiple threads now where somebody linked and talked about that media bias chart.  There is plenty of ways to get info without or with very little  Right/Left lean, and that doesn't even cover books, podcasts, etc..   I don't have much sympathy if somebody gripes about political content in news, is shown that chart, and still uses Daily Kos or Fox News as their main news source.   They are then the problem.  

I do agree that there can be a big influence both positive and negative by the news we consume.  I think doing the above is a big step to correcting a bit of that.  In the long run, these news sources are about getting eyeballs, clicks, and ad revenue.  We have a lot more say in it than you seem to be presenting - people can stop going to those places, stop linking them here/Facebook/Twitter so people click on them and get even more traffic, etc.   They want to make money - if we click mostly on fluff and b.s,  fluff and b.s. is what we will get.   

Yes, I will say that you can get a skewed perspective about the frequency of something happening if that is the only thing that you see and consume - hence the importance of the above,  the importance of people being able to read and digest information well, and the importance of having honest debate.  I think all 3 of those are really lacking in this country which is a huge problem.  

Not sure I would go so far as to say people will be calling for knife bans if they see stabbings every night, but I get your point.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you do realize many people still get ABC, NBC and CBS as their primary news right ? 25% - 30% of the nation don't have computer access still. How many liberals REALLY do go to conservative sites and how many conservatives REALLY go to liberal sites ?

I've seen so many here say Foxnews isn't a news source and/or CNN isn't either

 

people focus on what they hear/see, and often don't even question it. Its pathetically sad :(   I've been guilty of it too I might add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

you do realize many people still get ABC, NBC and CBS as their primary news right ? 25% - 30% of the nation don't have computer access still. How many liberals REALLY do go to conservative sites and how many conservatives REALLY go to liberal sites ?

I've seen so many here say Foxnews isn't a news source and/or CNN isn't either

 

people focus on what they hear/see, and often don't even question it. Its pathetically sad :(   I've been guilty of it too I might add

If you look at that chart - the 3 you listed are in the top middle in the Neutral - Fact reporting box, so I am not sure what your point is here.  I don't think those are the sources people are arguing about around here - it's mostly CNN, Fox etc, and the likelihood that somebody on a certain side of the aisle is using those outlets for their news.  

Point taken on the internet thing, but last I saw it was about 10% of the country doesn't have internet/computer, but a good portion of that was the elderly and/or people who chose not to have it.  Also does that factor in somebody that might not have a computer but has a smart phone?  

I don't know the answer to the other question, but my guess is way too few try to seek out neutral sites or try to go to different sites.  I guess my response is:  is this really a problem, and depending on the sites used, do we really want that?   I mean what's better - somebody using  3-4 outlets in the middle or somebody using  Fox News and Info Wars, but also going over to Daily Kos to seek out a liberal point of view?  

Just saying that for the vast majority of people it takes minimal effort to find decent news, and it's not all biased in the same way or to the extreme that people seem to like to make it out to be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

you do realize many people still get ABC, NBC and CBS as their primary news right ? 25% - 30% of the nation don't have computer access still. How many liberals REALLY do go to conservative sites and how many conservatives REALLY go to liberal sites ?

I've seen so many here say Foxnews isn't a news source and/or CNN isn't either

 

people focus on what they hear/see, and often don't even question it. Its pathetically sad :(   I've been guilty of it too I might add

Smart phone ownership is over 80%. Most young people don't get their news from the major networks. It's from FB, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. What are FoxNews and MSNBC viewership? In the low millions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I don't know the answer to the other question, but my guess is way too few try to seek out neutral sites or try to go to different sites.  I guess my response is:  is this really a problem, and depending on the sites used, do we really want that?   I mean what's better - somebody using  3-4 outlets in the middle or somebody using  Fox News and Info Wars, but also going over to Daily Kos to seek out a liberal point of view?  

Just saying that for the vast majority of people it takes minimal effort to find decent news, and it's not all biased in the same way or to the extreme that people seem to like to make it out to be.  

we really don't know, we can only guess

I'll say that few of the liberals I know click Fox News and few of the conservatives I know click CNN - most are very set in their ways 

another thing on this side topic is data mining. Its amazing how much information will pop up for you when you click on certain sites. I bought an expensive silk lingerie set recently and for the next week I was bombarded with high end lingerie advertisements and pop ups. 

if I'd purchased a gun, I'd get gun advertisements. I donated to the Save the Redwoods League a few weeks back and again, bombarded with ad's, especially facebook. 

my point is - we are in a world now that sometimes we GET information sent to us as well and don't even ask for it ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

Smart phone ownership is over 80%. Most young people don't get their news from the major networks. It's from FB, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram. What are FoxNews and MSNBC viewership? In the low millions. 

read above :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

we really don't know, we can only guess

I'll say that few of the liberals I know click Fox News and few of the conservatives I know click CNN - most are very set in their ways 

Again, I'd rather neither of those sources were used.  It would be better if liberals and conservatives used the top middle of the chart.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

we really don't know, we can only guess

I'll say that few of the liberals I know click Fox News and few of the conservatives I know click CNN - most are very set in their ways 

another thing on this side topic is data mining. Its amazing how much information will pop up for you when you click on certain sites. I bought an expensive silk lingerie set recently and for the next week I was bombarded with high end lingerie advertisements and pop ups. 

if I'd purchased a gun, I'd get gun advertisements. I donated to the Save the Redwoods League a few weeks back and again, bombarded with ad's, especially facebook. 

my point is - we are in a world now that sometimes we GET information sent to us as well and don't even ask for it ! 

What a forthright admission.  Does it make you feel pretty?

 

I see KarmaPolice beat me to it.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Nice.  How'd it fit?  

like it was made for her specifically - top end silk is beautiful on women 

 

11 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

What a forthright admission.  Does it make you feel pretty?

I don't know about "pretty" but she loved it and I feel good that I could provide it for her, that I picked it and she loved it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.sportsmensalliance.org/news/georgia-legislation-bans-common-hunting-clay-bird-shooting-guns/?fbclid=IwAR2IlNTdXhq36v_AnjL4vsVuFu8F8ePhcta47cWSiiGZS5IvRZ62SLRC9gk

 

State Senator Donzella James, (D-Atlanta), has pre-filed legislation that would ban the possession of semi-automatic firearms. The prohibitions in Senate Bill 281 would even ban common semi-automatic shotguns used for bird hunting and trap shooting. Any person convicted under this new law “shall be punished by imprisonment for a period of 5 years.”  SB 281 has yet to be assigned to a committee

 

what the ..... left has said they'd NOT do this ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

One Senator is "the left"? 

No. "The left" is what many think is the group of people that are overextending gun control laws. 

But, many of those people are not actually "the left". They are actually in the middle. However those people are not going to stand against any overextending gun control laws created by Democratic lawmakers. Even though they assured gun owners that they didn't want to ban guns or certain types of guns. 

It's exactly the same when someone in the middle doesn't take a stand against the lack of laws created or passed by Republican lawmakers. I can want common sense laws. But, I don't see a ban on all semi automatic weapons as being common sense. 

Should we both throw the baby out with the bathwater? Or should we find common ground and hold both sides (including our own) to that common ground?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been nearly two years since my older daughter and I participated in the March for Our Lives protest. That was an amazing day. There were huge crowds all over the country. Where I was, in Huntington Beach, thought to be a conservative bastion, you could barely move. There were so much energy in the air, and so many young people were involved. The feeling was that anything was possible. 

The specific purpose of that protest was to change federal laws on gun control- not state or local laws, but federal laws, as the only way to truly make a difference. That’s why it was a national protest. We had the support of nearly 80% of the country, still do. (To put this in perspective, 80% of the country doesn’t support anything short of war or Presidential approval after a calamity- its an astounding figure.) 

Nearly two years have gone by and nothing has happened. There’s been no change to federal laws. Nothing has even been considered. There’s been plenty of shootings in between. After El Paso President Trump said some changes would be considered- remember? And nothing. The House has passed some bills and all of them have been blocked by McConnell- not considered, not debated, not voted upon- just blocked. 

How much longer are we going to put up with this? 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It’s been nearly two years since my older daughter and I participated in the March for Our Lives protest. That was an amazing day. There were huge crowds all over the country. Where I was, in Huntington Beach, thought to be a conservative bastion, you could barely move. There were so much energy in the air, and so many young people were involved. The feeling was that anything was possible. 

The specific purpose of that protest was to change federal laws on gun control- not state or local laws, but federal laws, as the only way to truly make a difference. That’s why it was a national protest. We had the support of nearly 80% of the country, still do. (To put this in perspective, 80% of the country doesn’t support anything short of war or Presidential approval after a calamity- its an astounding figure.) 

Nearly two years have gone by and nothing has happened. There’s been no change to federal laws. Nothing has even been considered. There’s been plenty of shootings in between. After El Paso President Trump said some changes would be considered- remember? And nothing. The House has passed some bills and all of them have been blocked by McConnell- not considered, not debated, not voted upon- just blocked. 

How much longer are we going to put up with this? 

As long as the Senate (and probably the POTUS) is GOP controlled. 

Tim, I'm curious how you feel about the proposed law to ban all semi automatic weapons by Senator James? Do you feel this would be overextending the common sense gun laws that your marched for and that 80% of the county agrees with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KCitons said:

As long as the Senate (and probably the POTUS) is GOP controlled. 

Tim, I'm curious how you feel about the proposed law to ban all semi automatic weapons by Senator James? Do you feel this would be overextending the common sense gun laws that your marched for and that 80% of the county agrees with?

Yes. I’m not in favor. 

But I would warn you that these sorts of proposals are a direct result of Republicans refusing to accept common sense gun laws: it hardens the attitude on the other side and makes it more extreme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Yes. I’m not in favor. 

But I would warn you that these sorts of proposals are a direct result of Republicans refusing to accept common sense gun laws: it hardens the attitude on the other side and makes it more extreme. 

The reason doesn't matter. If the GOP controlled senate doesn't handle the impeachment properly, it doesn't justify actions by Dem lawmakers to make over extending laws. Right is right. 

You state that you are not in favor of the proposed law. Yet, in your above post, you spoke about the march and the lack of new federal laws. It would give the impression that you wouldn't be concerned enough to take a stand. Or perhaps march or physically protest against it, should the same law be proposed in your state. 

Isn't that the same thing that people here say about Trump supporters? By doing nothing when the see a wrong, it seems as though they are condoning the action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KCitons said:

The reason doesn't matter. If the GOP controlled senate doesn't handle the impeachment properly, it doesn't justify actions by Dem lawmakers to make over extending laws. Right is right. 

You state that you are not in favor of the proposed law. Yet, in your above post, you spoke about the march and the lack of new federal laws. It would give the impression that you wouldn't be concerned enough to take a stand. Or perhaps march or physically protest against it, should the same law be proposed in your state. 

Isn't that the same thing that people here say about Trump supporters? By doing nothing when the see a wrong, it seems as though they are condoning the action.

It’s not the same because that law has absolutely no chance of passage. If it did maybe I would consider getting involved. But it’s just a politician trying to make a name for himself. I don’t care. 

The difference between myself and Trump supporters, in this regard, is that unlike this foolish politician Trump is actually doing real damage to the country, to our allies, etc. in that case, indifference really is condoning bad behavior. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

It’s not the same because that law has absolutely no chance of passage. If it did maybe I would consider getting involved. But it’s just a politician trying to make a name for himself. I don’t care. 

The difference between myself and Trump supporters, in this regard, is that unlike this foolish politician Trump is actually doing real damage to the country, to our allies, etc. in that case, indifference really is condoning bad behavior. 

Sorry, but this sounds like "do as I say, not as I do". 

Gun regulation that you want (universal background checks or assault weapons bans) also appear to have no chance of passing. Why? Because of the GOP controlled Senate and White House. Are you 100% certain, if the Dems controlled all 3 branches, that they wouldn't pass an over extending law? You've already said:

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Yes. I’m not in favor. 

But I would warn you that these sorts of proposals are a direct result of Republicans refusing to accept common sense gun laws: it hardens the attitude on the other side and makes it more extreme. 

I don't disagree with your assessment. I warned about this issue over a year ago. Around the same time that I said that NRA would lose power as other anti-gun lobbying groups grew. But, you use it as an excuse. The GOP could blame the Dems for not creating a viable solution to the immigration issue to address the Southern border. Therefor, they took an overreaching approach to a solution that they felt was necessary. 

The pendulum swings further and further. Not out of necessity, but out of spite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KCitons said:

Sorry, but this sounds like "do as I say, not as I do". 

Gun regulation that you want (universal background checks or assault weapons bans) also appear to have no chance of passing. Why? Because of the GOP controlled Senate and White House. Are you 100% certain, if the Dems controlled all 3 branches, that they wouldn't pass an over extending law? You've already said:

I don't disagree with your assessment. I warned about this issue over a year ago. Around the same time that I said that NRA would lose power as other anti-gun lobbying groups grew. But, you use it as an excuse. The GOP could blame the Dems for not creating a viable solution to the immigration issue to address the Southern border. Therefor, they took an overreaching approach to a solution that they felt was necessary. 

The pendulum swings further and further. Not out of necessity, but out of spite. 

Again the difference is that the GOP solution to the border is not meaningless. It affects real people. This proposed law doesn’t because it has no chance at passage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Again the difference is that the GOP solution to the border is not meaningless. It affects real people. This proposed law doesn’t because it has no chance at passage. 

You don't now this for certain. Especially "no chance". I heard people say the same thing a few years ago about Trump being elected POTUS. And those people were experts. With all due respect, you're not an expert in this arena. Therefore, your "no chance" carries no more weight than my "it's possible". 

Regardless, you won't be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube once it's out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.foxnews.com/world/new-zealand-assault-weapon-ban-mosque-attack-collection

 

50,000 turned in

but

 

1.5 million guns exist in New Zealand

 

I say this now - in 3 years and 5 years, people will look back and see that there is no fewer killings and no less violence. This ban will make no difference except legal law abiding people will be shackled more in what they can own, shoot, hunt with and defend themselves with

 

criminals win here  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CBS News Dallas reporting that at least 3 members of their church drew their firearms and shot the suspect.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.