Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
randall146

USA Shootings

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, jonessed said:

He walks a fine line with a lot of his posts.  

Wasnt for a post apparently. 

Just using the like button. 

Edited by Endowed

I guess we are seeing why some people stockpile ammo. With some stores being deemed non essential, gun owners are finding it difficult to buy any ammo. Much less stockpile it. 

The 2nd Amendment is going to get a boost once we get past this pandemic. 

8 minutes ago, KCitons said:

I guess we are seeing why some people stockpile ammo. With some stores being deemed non essential, gun owners are finding it difficult to buy any ammo. Much less stockpile it. 

Just curious as someone who has never even touched a gun, what do you consider a stockpile of ammo? If you own a basic handgun, how much ammo do you think is good amount to have to ensure you can defend yourself? 

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Just curious as someone who has never even touched a gun, what do you consider a stockpile of ammo? If you own a basic handgun, how much ammo do you think is good amount to have to ensure you can defend yourself? 

Three months ago, I would have said that 300 rounds per gun was an acceptable amount. Today, I think that number is much, much higher. perhaps 1000 rounds per gun. That also would depend on the gun. A single shot or revolver would go through less rounds. Where a semi automatic would go through more. The same way Vietnam soldiers fired more rounds than WWI soldiers. 

We don't know what the next 6 months hold. Remember the conversations a few years ago about the impossible task of standing up against our mighty military? That same military could get decimated by an invisible virus. Could that weakness leave us susceptible to attacks from other countries? Maybe. If that happened, how much ammo would you want?

The other scenario is the deterioration of police forces across the country. We are starting to see it in NY. We could see pockets of civil unrest as things progressively get worse. If there is no police to protect you, and a percent of the population is without basic necessities because their $1200 stimulus check didn't go far enough, how much ammo would you want?

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I shoot quite a bit so it may skew what is typical, but I re -order ammo when I get down to 1,000 rounds of 5.56, 9mm, or 45acp and at 2,000 of 22lr.  These are what I shoot most of.  I probably have 200-300 for my various hunting rifles on hand at any time as well.  I don't consider this stockpiling though.  If I was stockpiling it would be around 10K rounds of the common stuff and 50K of 22lr.  It just doesn't take much space to store that much ammo and for the last couple years it has been ridiculously cheep to buy.  

1 hour ago, abbottjamesr said:

I shoot quite a bit so it may skew what is typical, but I re -order ammo when I get down to 1,000 rounds of 5.56, 9mm, or 45acp and at 2,000 of 22lr.  These are what I shoot most of.  I probably have 200-300 for my various hunting rifles on hand at any time as well.  I don't consider this stockpiling though.  If I was stockpiling it would be around 10K rounds of the common stuff and 50K of 22lr.  It just doesn't take much space to store that much ammo and for the last couple years it has been ridiculously cheep to buy.  

I wouldn't consider that stockpiling since you are using them. I was just thinking more for the person who has the gun for protection but doesn't regularly go to a range. 

On 3/29/2020 at 10:04 AM, Ilov80s said:

If you own a basic handgun, how much ammo do you think is good amount to have to ensure you can defend yourself? 

Sorry, I missed the last part of your question.  I think a box or two of ammo would typically be enough to have on hand for everyday carry and/or home defense.  Under normal conditions you can get practice ammo at the range when you go.  

On 3/29/2020 at 8:54 AM, KCitons said:

100% agree

that said ... I'm very surprised there hasn't been rioting in big cities and massive spikes in crime ... and it could still come 

• Laughing 1

17 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

100% agree

that said ... I'm very surprised there hasn't been rioting in big cities and massive spikes in crime ... and it could still come 

Why?

3 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Why?

shortages of food / TP etc ... in the inner cities I'd think even a 5% dip in unemployment would be huge but ... so far, I'm wrong and people are not doing it

if/when food EVER becomes a real shortage? it will be mass chaos, people will do anything to eat and/or feed their families 

12 hours ago, Stealthycat said:

shortages of food / TP etc ... in the inner cities I'd think even a 5% dip in unemployment would be huge but ... so far, I'm wrong and people are not doing it

if/when food EVER becomes a real shortage? it will be mass chaos, people will do anything to eat and/or feed their families 

I don't see food shortages becoming an issue at all unless we shut down transit.  Unemployment and people being stuck at home with nothing to do is more of a concern for me.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I don't see food shortages becoming an issue at all unless we shut down transit.  Unemployment and people being stuck at home with nothing to do is more of a concern for me.

you don't see the panic and hoarding and overbuying ?  literally sugar, flour, beans, frozen entree's, meats .... gone off the shelves in every store, paper towels, toilet paper, all alcohol's and fever medicines .... and that's just the pre-covid-19 rush

what if it got real ? What if it mutates into a 20% kill rate virus? me? I have two refig's and a deep freezer and I can survive 2 months on what food I have. Those small inner city apartments? How long do you think they'd last and then ??

I'm just saying ... its real. People are buying guns to protect what they have. I'd guess a lot of them maybe never had guns before. They see the real too

Edited by Stealthycat

20 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

you don't see the panic and hoarding and overbuying ?  literally sugar, flour, beans, frozen entree's, meats .... gone off the shelves in every store, paper towels, toilet paper, all alcohol's and fever medicines .... and that's just the pre-covid-19 rush

what if it got real ? What if it mutates into a 20% kill rate virus? me? I have two refig's and a deep freezer and I can survive 2 months on what food I have. Those small inner city apartments? How long do you think they'd last and then ??

I'm just saying ... its real. People are buying guns to protect what they have. I'd guess a lot of them maybe never had guns before. They see the real too

If it mutates and kills more then, yes, there will be a bigger panic.  If it stays the course right now, I don't see things getting too bad when it comes to supplies.  I don't think it hurts to be prepared though.

44 minutes ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

This dude thinks he's watching the nightly news when really he's had a copy of RoboCop stuck in his VCR since 1993.

I'll buy that for a dollar.

54 minutes ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

This dude thinks he's watching the nightly news when really he's had a copy of RoboCop stuck in his VCR since 1993.

am I "this dude" ??

you mean like this ?  

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/march-shatters-monthly-gun-sales-record-as-u-s-faces-down-threat-of-coronavirus/

March Shatters Monthly Gun Sales Record as U.S. Faces Down Threat of Coronavirus

More than 2.5 million guns sold in March"

40 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

am I "this dude" ??

you mean like this ?  

https://freebeacon.com/coronavirus/march-shatters-monthly-gun-sales-record-as-u-s-faces-down-threat-of-coronavirus/

March Shatters Monthly Gun Sales Record as U.S. Faces Down Threat of Coronavirus

More than 2.5 million guns sold in March"

I'm curious how many people bought those 2.5 million guns?

19 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm curious how many people bought those 2.5 million guns?

yeah I don't know but, people who have guns I'd think wouldn't be as afraid ... I mean we can protect our families right now. The people not having any means? I'd think they'd be more apt.

I think this is the right thread for this comment. 

If we can argue opening the country up, even though lives will be lost, then we can apply the same concept when determining any gun bans. If the economics out way the deaths, then it should be simple. 

Guns, ammo, hunting accessories, licenses, etc is a roughly a $50-100 billion industry.  

9 hours ago, KCitons said:

I think this is the right thread for this comment. 

If we can argue opening the country up, even though lives will be lost, then we can apply the same concept when determining any gun bans. If the economics out way the deaths, then it should be simple. 

Guns, ammo, hunting accessories, licenses, etc is a roughly a $50-100 billion industry.  

My guess is most that want to open up are also pro-gun, so I am not sure where the argument or debate would really come from. 

On 4/1/2020 at 3:04 PM, Stealthycat said:

100% agree

Bump