What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New England: Your Thoughts (1 Viewer)

If the Patriots win the Super Bowl is Tom Brady the GOAT?

• Yes.

Votes: 77 70.6%
  • No.

Votes: 22 20.2%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 10 9.2%

• Total voters
Yes to all.

Can't discount the ref smiling and cheering with the pats after a TD and patting old Tommy boy on the back after the game.

Brady is a combination awesome quarterback plus numbers compiler. Some guys were never that great but they had longevity and their overall numbers look awesome at the end of their careers. Other than a knee injury, Brady has been very fortunate, injury-wise. His game doesn't really leave him vulnerable to injury. Never runs, Superfast release, and mostly short routes with three step drops. So he's still playing well at 40 where other great quarterbacks never got that chance. So the Championships and statistics that Brady is racking up are getting ridiculously impressive. So you have a top 5, talent-wise, quarterback of all time who is still playing great when is competition was tailing off or out of football together. So I would put him as top 5, everything being equal, but his longevity makes him the greatest of all time. 

So the team the NFL hates the most, that has so many haters across the NFL fan base is going to sanction the Ref's to help the Patriots win ?

LOL

Yeah that makes sense that the NFL is helping the Patriots after targeting them over the years

But hey - give the Patriots more fuel and fire for the Super Bowl - I love it

So the team the NFL hates the most, that has so many haters across the NFL fan base is going to sanction the Ref's to help the Patriots win ?

LOL

Yeah that makes sense that the NFL is helping the Patriots after targeting them over the years

I agree that there's no way the NFL is telling the referees to call things in New England's favor. That's ridiculous.. But I do see a little bit of the Michael Jordan effect happening in the last few years as far as the Patriots go. I think referees are human and I think they can be intimidated by greatness just like the other teams can be. I don't think they want Belicheck screaming at them. Where I don't think they really give two craps if most other coaches do. To watch the games, you can't possibly deny that the Patriots get a lot of iffy calls. Especially down the stretch. But again, absolutely zero chance that the league wants it that way or that it's pre-planned.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about the AFC:

- How in the hell is no one able to force the Pats out the playoffs before the AFFC game every year? Seven straight AFCC appearances?

- How in the hell is no one able to force the Pats out the playoffs before the AFFC game every year? Seven straight AFCC appearances?
A lot of it is simply the fact that Brady and Belichick are both so great at what they do. That can't be discounted. But another factor is that the rest of that division has been so pitiful for so long. All the other divisions have teams that rotate being good and the competition changes. New England has such a cake divisional schedule, that they're 6-0 or 5-1 before the season starts. So they have an upper hand on home field advantage every year. And we all know how big that can be in the playoffs

I realize he's had a very healthy career overall, but its still crazy to think that his numbers and accomplishments are missing that entire 2008 season, when he was arguably at his peak with Moss and Welker, etc. That's probably another historical year, just lost to the leg injury. He didn't need that year, but his career would look even more ridiculous if it hadn't happened.

A lot of it is simply the fact that Brady and Belichick are both so great at what they do. That can't be discounted. But another factor is that the rest of that division has been so pitiful for so long. All the other divisions have teams that rotate being good and the competition changes. New England has such a cake divisional schedule, that they're 6-0 or 5-1 before the season starts. So they have an upper hand on home field advantage every year. And we all know how big that can be in the playoffs
Their winning percentage vs the afc east must be way higher than the other divisions, huh?

LOL

I don’t believe the refs favour the pats but let’s remember Goodell destroyed evidence against them. So give the witch hunt crap a rest.

Presumably the debate here is whether Brady is GoAT QB or GoAT North American team athlete.

Jordan played alongside a top 50 all-time player his entire career. Once the Bulls got past the Pistons on their 4th attempt, they never had a serious challenge for 8 years (other than the Birmingham Barons.)

Outside of Moss for 3 years, has Brady ever played with another top 250 all-time player? Guess you could make a case for Viniteri being an all-time great clutch kicker. Back when he was a “system QB”, that guy + the Tuck Rule were the only reasons he had any rings. :rolleyes:  You guys think Teddy Bruschi or Troy Brown going to Canton anytime soon?

We know what would happen if you removed either from their team, because it happened. The Bulls (off-memory) won like 55 games the first year Jordan was playing baseball & they won a playoff series both years. The Patriots went 11-5 (missed playoffs) and 4-0 with Jacoby & Jimmy - moderate success, seems like a wash.

Cheating, Refs showing impartiality...gotta be honest, neither seems credible as sole or primary reasons the Patriots have had an unbroken streak of 17 years of dominance. There’s nothing comparable in the 98-year NFL history. Haters gonna hate.

Their winning percentage vs the afc east must be way higher than the other divisions, huh?
28-3 vs the bills

25-7 vs the Jets

21-10 vs the dolphins

74-20 vs the East, .787

196-57 overall, .774

122-37 against other divisions, .767

Yep.  To be fair, when your winning percentage is over 77%, there isn't much room to be "way higher". 

This is not true. Their winning percentage outside of the AFC East is nearly indentical to inside the division and the AFC East has not been any worse than any other division over the years. NYJ, Miami and Buffalo have all made playoff appearances along with New England during this run.

I don’t believe the refs favour the pats but let’s remember Goodell destroyed evidence against them. So give the witch hunt crap a rest.
People bring this up from time to time.

Once the league made its decision and executed its punishment, the issue is closed. I don't see why it should keep a bunch of videotapes that don't need to be viewed again.

This is not true. Their winning percentage outside of the AFC East is nearly indentical to inside the division and the AFC East has not been any worse than any other division over the years. NYJ, Miami and Buffalo have all made playoff appearances along with New England during this run.
I'm not sure that's entirely true. The bills, fins and jets are all in the bottom 12 over the past decade. And have 8 winning seasons between them. httpsw.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417

Of course they played the Patriots 20 times in those 10 years (regular season). A better argument can be made that the Patriots make those 3 look worse than they'd be in any other division.

1 - I wish my favorite team cheated more
Pats are my team. Hope they win the championship and there's a controversial call for all the haters to whine about during the off-season. As long as it doesn't result in injuries, I'm fine with every team trying to get an edge however they can. Get caught, get punished. Don't get caught, good for you.

2 - no
A silly accusation IMO.

3 - undecided
Too hard for me to compare across eras as the game has evolved.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. The bills, fins and jets are all in the bottom 12 over the past decade. And have 8 winning seasons between them. httpsw.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417

Of course they played the Patriots 20 times in those 10 years (regular season). A better argument can be made that the Patriots make those 3 look worse than they'd be in any other division.
What can’t be debated is that over the last 15 years the QBs in the AFC East other than Brady have been the absolute worst of any division in football.

Others have already covered the Pats winning percentage against other divisions. However, people also forget that the AFC East teams are all but guaranteed 1 loss and many times 2 losses before the season starts as well. It's a lot harder to get to 10 wins in 14 games. And for those saying the Pats get a free 6 wins, they rarely go 6-0 in the division. With Brady, they have gone 28-3 against BUF, 21-10 against MIA, and 26-8 against NYJ (including 2 post season games) = 75-21 (.781). That's 4.7 wins a year within their division. If they had been in the AFC South, they likely would have won an extra game a season (as that division in the past decade has been very weak against the rest of the league),

20% of 6 games is 1.2 games.  If the earlier poster's numbers were correct, that is most definitely a big difference. Give the Pats 1.2 fewer wins/year over their last 7 seasons, and they lose the #1 seed (but keep a bye) in 3 of those season, and they lose a bye in 3 of the other seasons.  In the 7th season, their playoff seeding wouldn't have changed.  

Bayhawks said:
20% of 6 games is 1.2 games.  If the earlier poster's numbers were correct, that is most definitely a big difference. Give the Pats 1.2 fewer wins/year over their last 7 seasons, and they lose the #1 seed (but keep a bye) in 3 of those season, and they lose a bye in 3 of the other seasons.  In the 7th season, their playoff seeding wouldn't have changed.  
Not sure what you are trying to show with your math. NE's winning percentage in division vs. out of their division is in the order of .005. No matter where you put them in terms of a division, they would still win at a rate between 12-13 games.

Not sure what you are trying to show with your math. NE's winning percentage in division vs. out of their division is in the order of .005. No matter where you put them in terms of a division, they would still win at a rate between 12-13 games.
.787 vs .767

16 games at .767 is still 12 wins per season.  

16 games at .787 is 12.5

So yeah, not much of a difference.

Bayhawks said:
Your math is incorrect.

I was obviously trying to show you that I'm bad at math, and even worse when it's super early & I haven't had my coffee yet. :bag:

SaintsInDome2006 said:

They generally have home field. Terrible division they play in. They lost at denver twice to peyton in afccg. Baltimore the joe flacco miracle year beat them in foxboro

My thoughts, great team made difficult to love by the foibles of their coach and a percentage of their fans.

Greatest of all time .... that beatification can not come from a teams fans or a teams media, it must come from the teams opponents and rivals.  The insistence with which homers push this stands in the way of its recognition.

I sometimes wonder if the lack of a core of players throughout the run hurts their ascendance to icons.  The Packers were Starr, Nitschke, Davis Wood, Taylor Hornung, Gregg, Kramer and half a dozen others.  They also had some legendary characters like McGee, and a legendary ranting and loving coach.  The Steelers were Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Harris, Greene, Lambert, Ham and the legendary Cowboys and Raiders as Rivals.  They were a coke commercial.  They were Immaculate reception memorable.  The Pats, they are Brady, Belichick, and force fed blandness by the hoodie.  They are not interesting.  They are winners, but they are remote and boring. We do not know them because they insist that we do not.

JuniorNB said:
Brady is a combination awesome quarterback plus numbers compiler. Some guys were never that great but they had longevity and their overall numbers look awesome at the end of their careers. Other than a knee injury, Brady has been very fortunate, injury-wise. His game doesn't really leave him vulnerable to injury. Never runs, Superfast release, and mostly short routes with three step drops. So he's still playing well at 40 where other great quarterbacks never got that chance. So the Championships and statistics that Brady is racking up are getting ridiculously impressive. So you have a top 5, talent-wise, quarterback of all time who is still playing great when is competition was tailing off or out of football together. So I would put him as top 5, everything being equal, but his longevity makes him the greatest of all time. 
It's a lot more than longevity and aggregate numbers.

Saw a stat the other day on QBs and how many times Brady vs. others have overcome 2TD 4th quarter comebacks. It wasn't even close.

It's not just the stats, but how he's compiled them. I mean, how many times has Brady gotten the ball late, and comeback in the clutch? It's to the point where it's taken for granted. 

He's not just the GOAT. He's the GOAT when you absolutely need him to be the GOAT. 

To say Brady is not the GOAT at this point is short-sighted.  A handful of years ago I would have said Montana is the greatest QB.  Times change and now it's Brady.  Someone will pass him too someday.  I'm not a NE fan by any means, but Brady is special and I don't think that can be denied.  For now.  

brun said:
People bring this up from time to time.

Once the league made its decision and executed its punishment, the issue is closed. I don't see why it should keep a bunch of videotapes that don't need to be viewed again.
Because nothing was ever made public and nobody knows for sure what they did. So it was destroyed before anyone outside the NFL head office viewed it. If it was just sideline footage it's one thing. But if they were filming team practices and walkthroughs it's a lot different. And that evidence was destroyed in a way that makes me suspicious that there was something really bad they didn't want made public. 

Why would they ever have destroyed the evidence. What about appeals or court cases? Makes no sense unless you wanted to hide the fact that maybe their super bowl wins were tainted. If that went public it would have killed the NFL.

Because nothing was ever made public and nobody knows for sure what they did. So it was destroyed before anyone outside the NFL head office viewed it. If it was just sideline footage it's one thing. But if they were filming team practices and walkthroughs it's a lot different. And that evidence was destroyed in a way that makes me suspicious that there was something really bad they didn't want made public. 

Why would they ever have destroyed the evidence. What about appeals or court cases? Makes no sense unless you wanted to hide the fact that maybe their super bowl wins were tainted. If that went public it would have killed the NFL.
Because at the time, New England had squeaked out a couple of 3 point Super Bowl victories and the league had no idea how to handle things if it was proven that the cheating affected those games. It was a string they didn't want to start pulling on. 

These practice/walkthrough tapes never had any evidence beyond an "unnamed source".  And Patriots video guy who taped on the sidelines denied it to Goodell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d808590d5/article/boston-herald-writer-expresses-regret-over-false-report

A lot of teams still believe the Patriots bug their locker rooms.  No evidence was ever found, unless the NFL is also suppressing that too.  I mean, we never see the actual reports from the bug-sweeping guys used by the NFL.  :P

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/30/9644900/patriots-jets-bug-cheating-locker-room-nfl

These practice/walkthrough tapes never had any evidence beyond an "unnamed source".  And Patriots video guy who taped on the sidelines denied it to Goodell.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d808590d5/article/boston-herald-writer-expresses-regret-over-false-report

A lot of teams still believe the Patriots bug their locker rooms.  No evidence was ever found, unless the NFL is also suppressing that too.  I mean, we never see the actual reports from the bug-sweeping guys used by the NFL.  :P

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/30/9644900/patriots-jets-bug-cheating-locker-room-nfl
Yeah and if they made the evidence public we wouldn't have to guess what happened. You really have no idea what Goodell did or didn't know. Should have been an independent investigator who made their findings public. Problem for the NFL is that could have led to billions in losses if serious things were found. The tough act later is just pr, to make it look like they're really tough on cheating, nothing else.

From what I remember, there was talk at the time that the videos showed defensive coordinators hand signals and then shots of the scoreboard to show down, distance, and field position. (over and over again). One of the reasons (allegedly) things were destroyed is that on some of the videos, the cameraman zoomed in on a cameraman FROM THE OTHER TEAM and they waved to each other. So one of the possible explanations would have been that by releasing the videos, it would have shown other teams doing similar things. I also heard rumors that the camera guy would zoom in on attractive women and made crude comments about them.

The other thing that gets lost in all of this is that the league didn't really care what teams were doing at the time. Some teams were trying to do more than others (and it's pretty clear NE tried to push the limit on absolutely everything). The league finally issued and distributed a memo that all of these videotaping efforts needed to stop and teams needed to conform to the rules.

The Patriots didn't listen, and they taped the Jets coaching staff in game FROM THE FIELD. NE could have done the same thing from someplace else in the stadium, it was doing it on the field that really went against the rules. As BB said afterwards, they were taping in from of 60,000 people, how secret was it? So the only rule they really broke was filming from the wrong place and that one game against the Jets. Prior to that the league knew and up until then didn't care and didn't try to stop it.

Of the material Goodell collected, there were notes and charts that tried to connect the dots between hand signals, tenancies, audibles, etc. To the best of my knowledge, no videotape of a practice or a walk through has ever surfaced. Doesn't mean the Pats didn't videotape practices, but for now there is nothing to show that they did. And other teams have been known to try to spy on or tape practices, so this one isn't unique to NE either.

In that regard, there is so much video of actual game film that I would wonder how much value there is in taping a team's practice. I suppose that there could be access to a team learning a new play, but I would think the huge majority of a team's playbook has already been run in actual games.

Personally, I believe that many teams do a lot of things that are borderline cheating. IMO, it's mostly a game of trying to come up with a way to get that extra 0.01% of an advantage. Put me in the category of everybody was doing SOMETHING (which  is different than everybody was doing IT). People will say I am biased as a NE fan, but I would have the same opinion if other teams got caught doing stupid stuff. As a fan, if the league wants to punish them so be it. While I think much of the outcry and backlash has been somewhat overblown, technically they broke the rules so they should have been penalized. IMO, the penalties were a little harsh, but so be it.

To that end, part of the reason any of the Spygate or Deflategate stuff became a big deal was because it was the Patriots. If the Browns were doing it, people would have gotten a good laugh, it would have fallen out of the news in a day and a half, and there would have been no penalties. Since the league started using helmet microphones, the whole taping coaches signals thing is pretty much irrelevant.

Make no mistake, it's not just fans that hate the Patriots, it's 31 other franchises. The owners, the players, the coaches, the league office, and pretty much anyone you can think of wants NE to lose. They just do. I get it, NE wins a lot and other teams usually have a good season or two before they fall back. So the logical explanation that the Patriots are still cheating. I am sure the next allegation will be that Brady is on the juice or is taking something synthetic, as no othe QB was this good at 40.

So when dirt comes out on NE, people want to emasculate them. I feel pretty confident that they have done way more than what they have been caught doing, and I would hope that fans of other teams would encourage their team to try to do more things that are borderline against the rules.

As far as the refs giving NE special treatment, it was pointed out on sports talk this week that both short term (this season) and long term (in their extended run), NE actually was about 50%/50% on penalties called against them and their opponents. After the Jags came, that may have pushed the balance in their favor by like 2 penalties on the season. There's a reason why they say calls even out eventually.

I don't think the Pats do anything to influence the calls or the refs. So if they make a dumb call or overturn a play on replay, that's on them, not NE. IMO, they get a few extra calls playing at home, but so do most home teams.

We've had many threads discussing who the GOAT is. This game should have no bearing on anyone's opinion of Brady. Either you think he is or he isn't, so win or lose this game shouldn't move the needle any.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

See their division and an easy bye for Saturday night home field advantage in the divisional round. 

Plus, they're good.  

The league has never had a good answer for this, and we'll never know because billions are at stake. 

Yeah and if they made the evidence public we wouldn't have to guess what happened. You really have no idea what Goodell did or didn't know. Should have been an independent investigator who made their findings public. Problem for the NFL is that could have led to billions in losses if serious things were found. The tough act later is just pr, to make it look like they're really tough on cheating, nothing else.
I don't agree with this unless the league did a full audit and investigation of ALL teams to air their dirty laundry as well. If all the other teams had skeletons in their closet or were doing the same things as NE was, then to release only the dirt on the Pats would make them look deplorable. People like to think that NE is the devil and 31 other teams are the girl next store, sweet 16, and never been kissed.

Plenty of people have indicated what other teams did over the years, just like lots of QBs have come out and said what they did to manipulate the footballs. Other than the fact that THE MANUFACTURER gave a suggested range of inflation for football pressure (that the league cut and pasted into the rules), there has been nothing to show conclusively that changing the ball pressure had any real impact on playing of the game. Some QB's like a football with more air, some with less. What's next, citing teams for having the grass on the field a quarter inch too long? I get it, people want to hit NE up for breaking the spirit of the rules or the balance of fair play. The league has penalized them on that, so let's all just move on.

If the league should release any information, it should share their study results on air pressure in footballs. But they haven't, because it would only support what the Patriots were saying. If the study showed NE to have been at fault, they would have released that by now.

Taping practices is blatant cheating in that it shows your game plan for that week and any new plays you plan to use. Maybe there was nothing to it but an independent investigator should have been brought in.

As much as other teams hate the patriots, losing a ton of money on your billion dollar company keeps them from wanting any proven scandal coming out.

I don't agree with this unless the league did a full audit and investigation of ALL teams to air their dirty laundry as well. If all the other teams had skeletons in their closet or were doing the same things as NE was, then to release only the dirt on the Pats would make them look deplorable. People like to think that NE is the devil and 31 other teams are the girl next store, sweet 16, and never been kissed.
Yup, just a few weeks ago, the NFL swept the Packer's obvious rule-breaking under the rug without any investigation at all.  There was no evidence that Rodgers had any new injury at all, and certainly didn't have a new serious injury that would sideline him for 6+ weeks.  A 6+ week injury could easily be verified or not by an independent NFL doctor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/12/24/nfl-teams-reportedly-think-the-packers-should-have-to-release-aaron-rodgers-over-ir-move/?utm_term=.d241d69f18bc

"...Teams are taking issue with this because Rodgers reportedly suffered no new injury and NFL rules require that a player must have suffered a new injury that would sideline him at least six weeks to be placed on injured reserve. If that is not the case, the team is obligated to release the player when he is healthy."

Yup, just a few weeks ago, the NFL swept the Packer's obvious rule-breaking under the rug without any investigation at all.  There was no evidence that Rodgers had any new injury at all, and certainly didn't have a new serious injury that would sideline him for 6+ weeks.  A 6+ week injury could easily be verified or not by an independent NFL doctor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/12/24/nfl-teams-reportedly-think-the-packers-should-have-to-release-aaron-rodgers-over-ir-move/?utm_term=.d241d69f18bc

"...Teams are taking issue with this because Rodgers reportedly suffered no new injury and NFL rules require that a player must have suffered a new injury that would sideline him at least six weeks to be placed on injured reserve. If that is not the case, the team is obligated to release the player when he is healthy."
Different rules for different players. I'm not sure if the Packers even knew this rule existed. I can just imagine the chaos in the league office when they discovered what had just happened. Had that been Jeff Janis, the league would have deemed him a free agent.

Different rules for different players. I'm not sure if the Packers even knew this rule existed. I can just imagine the chaos in the league office when they discovered what had just happened. Had that been Jeffrey Janus, the league would have deemed him a free agent.
I have no idea whether the Packers knew the rule.  An investigation would determine that.  Even if they didn't, that's too bad for them: the rule should still be enforced the same for every team.

Users who are viewing this thread