What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Professor insisting to call themselves Doctor (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
So, this semester, I have a couple of History professors in my Graduate department that have demanded me to address them as “Doctor” instead of "Professor" or "Mr".  I didn't have this experience in undergraduate and most professors went by Prof. A few went by their first name only because we're close.

I feel a tad bit unsure what's the proper call here. What do you say FFA?

Last edited by a moderator:
And about thing- what's with IT guys calling themselves architects? I mean, I'll call them doctor if they have a phd, but an IT guy with a phd?

So, this semester, I have a couple of History professors in my Graduate department that have demanded me to address them as “Doctor” instead of "Professor" or "Mr". 

Are you a student, a fellow teacher, or the janitor?

This isn’t rare. I called my undergrad professors Dr. and my law school professors Prof. my history professor n college told me that he got better seats in restaurants in the US with Dr, but better seats in Europe with Prof. 

For some reason in the Cal State system most instructors are addressed as “doctor”. No idea why.  One of my instructors came from out of state and said that it was weird to her. :shrug:

Oh and before anybody belittles a PhD in history...

It’s not any easier than getting one in any other of the humanities.  

So, this semester, I have a couple of History professors in my Graduate department that have demanded me to address them as “Doctor” instead of "Professor" or "Mr". 

“Oh Dr.? I was wondering if you could take a look at some boils I have on my gluteus maximus?"

Being one of them (though in accounting), I get the request to use something other than "Mr."  But demanding "Doctor" instead of "Professor" is kind of dumb.  They ARE professors, so calling them such is respectful and appropriate.  Most of my students use "Professor."  I work hard to build good relationships with my students ...demanding that a certain title be used would send a signal of arrogance and a desire to stay rather disconnected.  

What Andrew 74 and Ramsay Hunt said. Except I called them "Professor" in undergrad. It never occurred to me to call anybody but an M.D. "doctor" back then. 

Basically, call him or her "doctor." Go along to get along in this case

Both my parents have PHDs and my father also is an MD.  I call all PhDs doctor as that is the world I was raised in and I think of it as a sign of respect.

Both my parents have PHDs and my father also is an MD.  I call all PhDs doctor as that is the world I was raised in and I think of it as a sign of respect.
Why exactly do PHDs deserve a special title? I’ve always found it odd that someone with a PHD in English literature deserves this title of respect while ‘Mr/Ms’ is good enough for a brilliant entrepreneur who starts a business and employees hundreds or thousands of people. 

no, they're not asking to be called architects are they?  Thats so bizzarely believable I give you props for top schtick if so!
Information architects. 

Check the want ads for "architect" and most of them will be for IT positions. I wish this wasn't schtick.

Why is this a dumb analogy?

In our society, "doctor" = medical doctor.  No one gives a #### about your PhD.  I used to work with a woman that had a doctorate in something, and when she would call someone on the phone she would say, "Hello, this is Dr. ______".  

S T F U
What does this have to do with not calling someone with a masters degree Master ________?

“I have of a Bachelor’s. You don’t call me bachelor do you?”

Why is this a dumb analogy?

In our society, "doctor" = medical doctor.  No one gives a #### about your PhD.  I used to work with a woman that had a doctorate in something, and when she would call someone on the phone she would say, "Hello, this is Dr. ______".  

S T F U
I have a Ph.D. and I agree that is ridiculous. However, if you have an MD and you answer the phone doctor outside the office you are an ###.

However, if you are a student addressing your professor as dr is appropriate and be prepared to fail if they want you to and you don't.

Don’t think it’s a big deal in an academic setting. Now if they demand or use the term in the real world, they’re a pompous buttmonkey

Information architects. 

Check the want ads for "architect" and most of them will be for IT positions. I wish this wasn't schtick.
I work in IT, we have a ton of architects at my office. They typically are responsible for designing an application/solution. 

I have a Ph.D. and I agree that is ridiculous. However, if you have an MD and you answer the phone doctor outside the office you are an ###.

However, if you are a student addressing your professor as dr is appropriate and be prepared to fail if they want you to and you don't.
Failing a student under false pretenses just because they didn’t address you the way you liked sounds like a tremendous abuse of power that would warrant a lawsuit.

no, they're not asking to be called architects are they?  Thats so bizzarely believable I give you props for top schtick if so!
The title of my position at work is Sr. Platform Architect - I don’t ask anyone to call me that but I do drop the Costanza line, “You know that I always wanted to pretend to be an architect” at least once a quarter.  Usually I get blank stares from the room full of Indian guys but I still laugh.

This is the norm in Europe, or at least in Germany, so I could understand it if they’re from Europe. It strikes me as pompous, but it’s just the way it’s done over there - everyone with a doctorate degree is addresses as “doctor.”  Unlike us, they have separate terms to indicated medical doctor, so they don’t have that confusion. 

For a professor to demand or require his students to address him as “doctor” in this country seems silly. That said, there is an important lesson to be learned. If you want to get ahead and be successful in school and the business world, one of the more important skills is to learn is that when you are young you are dog eat and you have to eat #### from your superiors, the folks who are in control of your success or failure. This is true nearly universally, until you become one of them. 

This is the norm in Europe, or at least in Germany, so I could understand it if they’re from Europe. It strikes me as pompous, but it’s just the way it’s done over there - everyone with a doctorate degree is addresses as “doctor.”  Unlike us, they have separate terms to indicated medical doctor, so they don’t have that confusion. 

For a professor to demand or require his students to address him as “doctor” in this country seems silly. That said, there is an important lesson to be learned. If you want to get ahead and be successful in school and the business world, one of the more important skills is to learn is that when you are young you are dog meat and you have to eat #### from your superiors, the folks who are in control of your success or failure. This is true nearly universally, until you become one of them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So, this semester, I have a couple of History professors in my Graduate department that have demanded me to address them as “Doctor” instead of "Professor" or "Mr".  I didn't have this experience in undergraduate and most professors went by Prof. A few went by their first name only because we're close.

Maybe it depends on the college?  I resided in the math, physics, biology and chemistry depts and every one of my professors insisted on me calling them by their first names.  In a large setting most of them were fine with Dr. whatever, but in a small group or individually they bristled at being called Professor or Doctor whatever.  They didn't even want to be called Mr or Mrs/Ms.  Maybe science professors are more down to earth than history professors, I don't know.

I think the only people I would call Doctor who aren't actually doctors are Dr Who and Dr Kreiger.

Users who are viewing this thread