What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official Indianapolis Colts 2019 thread** Finally something to get excited about (2 Viewers)

Ben & Jerry's

Footballguy
Assuming Josh McDaniels becomes the new head coach, let's consider what options Chris Ballard will have.

I don't see Indy passing on Barkley, even with so many other holes. However I have my doubts that he makes it past The G-men @ 1.02. 

Chubb is an option that addresses a need, but I doubt he is the pick. It would appear the Colts may switch to a base 4-3 with Eberflus coming from Dallas.

Orlando Brown also makes sense but would be a reach @ 1.03.

If Barkley is on the board, I think his name is called. Irsay has a penchant for the splash move at RB, overpaying for guys like Eric Dickerson and Trent Richardson. Dealing Marshall Faulk away for peanuts was another signature Irsay move.

If am Ballard, I would love for the Colts to trade down (possibly with the QB-needy Jets @ 6) and draft Quenton Nelson.

An interior line of Nelson, Kelly and Mewhort would be solid. Anthony Castonzo is a liability at LT but is serviceable. Ideally I would love to be able to upgrade there and move him to RT.

In this scenario, I would look at the possibility of trading back into the end of Round 1 and grabbing OT Mike McGlinchey to pair with Nelson. Maybe he falls to 2.35. Opinions seem mixed on where he goes.

Signing free agent OT Nate Solder could also be an option but will likely be overpriced if NE lets him walk. 

I don't think the Colts could go wrong drafting Quenton Nelson. The problem is getting into position to make it happen. I think Gallup would be available in the middle of Round 2 as might Sony Michel. Either would be good additions.

Trading down seems like their best option regardless which direction they decide to go. I think Ballard will prove his worth in this draft. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming Josh McDaniels becomes the new head coach, let's consider what options Chris Ballard will have.

I don't see Indy passing on Barkley, even with so many other holes. However I have my doubts that he makes it past The G-men @ 1.02. 

Chubb is an option that addresses a need, but I doubt he is the pick. It would appear the Colts may switch to a base 4-3 with Eberflus coming from Dallas.

Orlando Brown also makes sense but would be a reach @ 1.03.

If Barkley is on the board, I think his name is called. Irsay has a penchant for the splash move at RB, overpaying for guys like Eric Dickerson and Trent Richardson. Dealing Marshall Faulk away for peanuts was another signature Irsay move.

If am Ballard, I would love for the Colts to trade down (possibly with the QB-needy Jets @ 6) and draft Quenton Nelson.

An interior line of Nelson, Kelly and Mewhort would be solid. Anthony Castonzo is a liability at LT but is serviceable. Ideally I would love to be able to upgrade there and move him to RT.

In this scenario, I would look at the possibility of trading back into the end of Round 1 and grabbing OT Mike McGlinchey to pair with Nelson. Maybe he falls to 2.35. Opinions seem mixed on where he goes.

Signing free agent OT Nate Solder could also be an option but will likely be overpriced if NE lets him walk. 

I don't think the Colts could go wrong drafting Quenton Nelson. The problem is getting into position to make it happen. I think Gallup would be available in the middle of Round 2 as might Sony Michel. Either would be good additions.

Trading down seems like their best option regardless which direction they decide to go. I think Ballard will prove his worth in this draft. 
This is exactly what I was hoping they would do.  Now I wasn't sure where they should target a trade down with, but I wanted more draft capital while still nabbing one of the 2 bets OL.  I hope this is what they do.  My second favorite pick would be Chubb.  Barkley I think will be excellent, but a mistake for the Colts.

In.   As you guys have already said, I’m also hoping they trade down and pick up some additional picks.  

It does seem like McDaniels is our guy.  Not sure I feel about that.  He flamed out in DEN and no BB coach has had success outside of NE.   Can Josh be the first in Indy?

In.   As you guys have already said, I’m also hoping they trade down and pick up some additional picks.  

It does seem like McDaniels is our guy.  Not sure I feel about that.  He flamed out in DEN and no BB coach has had success outside of NE.   Can Josh be the first in Indy?
I don’t know. Bill O’Brien been pretty good for what he’s had to work with imo.

ESPN's Mike Wells believes Penn State RB Saquon Barkley will be in play for the Colts with the third overall pick.

With Frank Gore headed for free agency—he also turns 35 in May—the Colts will be seeking a workhorse in the upcoming draft. Barkley checks off all the boxes, though there's a remote possibility Cleveland would consider taking him first overall. The Browns are in desperate need of a franchise quarterback but could still draft one with the fourth overall pick. If Barkley is unavailable, Wells believes the Colts would likely pivot to NC State DE Bradley Chubb.

Wow, a great player at a position of need might be in play for a team to select?  Breaking news!

I hate the offseason.

fruity pebbles said:
I don’t know. Bill O’Brien been pretty good for what he’s had to work with imo.
Jury is still out on O’Brien but 3 seasons at 9-7 in a weak AFC South and then 4-12 last season.  Not exactly stellar stuff.  Yeah they had a ton of injuries but still not impressed with them yet.  

Wow, a great player at a position of need might be in play for a team to select?  Breaking news!

I hate the offseason.
If rhe Brown are smart they draft Barkley at no 1 and get theur qb at 4, but since when have the Browns been smart?

PFT's Mike Florio reporting "increased chatter" that McDaniels may have changed his mind and will remain in New England. Ugh.

If true wonder if related to Lucks health
Either that or Belichick is planning to announce his retirement and Kraft wants Josh to take over. BB remembers how he felt leaving the Giants only weeks before Parcells stepped down. 

PFT's Mike Florio reporting "increased chatter" that McDaniels may have changed his mind and will remain in New England. Ugh.

I’ve seen McDaniels as a HC first hand.  Believe me, that would be a huge boon to IND.  McDaniels may be a superb OC but he’s a trainwreck as a HC.

How does that saying go?  Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.

I’ve seen McDaniels as a HC first hand.  Believe me, that would be a huge boon to IND.  McDaniels may be a superb OC but he’s a trainwreck as a HC.

How does that saying go?  Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.
Maybe he learned from the mistakes.  What was he then, like 32?

Indy is an accident waiting to happen..McD isn't good outside of BB's wingspan..Luck is finished, it really looks like one of those career ending deals..month after month of 'maybe soon he'll be back' to 'he's on IR for the remainder of the season' ..then he's in Germany and comes back heavier, whatever that's supposed to mean ( is he stronger or fatter?)..

just my guess, but I think BB resigns tomorrow...heads to TV or to GM role for  a team somewhere. or goes to work with Coughlin in Jax..:shrug:

Well, you IND guys got your wish.  Hope it turns out like you want, though I’m not optimistic.  You’ll need all the luck you can get...

If Luck never returns back to form we could be looking at the new Cleveland Browns. Talent-void roster, terrible front office, and currently no coach. The Browns have hope with talent. Colts with no Luck may be in for a long road to nowhere.

If Luck never returns back to form we could be looking at the new Cleveland Browns. Talent-void roster, terrible front office, and currently no coach. The Browns have hope with talent. Colts with no Luck may be in for a long road to nowhere.
Maybe they draft Barkley and build around him?

The Colts are fortunate to have Chris Ballard as GM. Very impressive.

I think best case for Indy would be to hire Frank Reich as HC and he brings DeFilippo along as OC.

Wishful thinking. If Reich is coaxed away, I think DeFilippo gets offered the OC job in Philly and stays. 

Not sure what is more sad..that McDaniels gave them the bird of that Ballard could not be bothered to put on a suit for the presser. Come on bro, your franchise is at a major turning point and your the face of the franchise at least for now. Walk to the closet and put on a suit or at least a nice shirt. Showing up in a t-shirt? Come on Bro....seriously. 

If your going to have egg on your face, at least LOOK PROFESSIONAL..... :wall:

Ben & Jerry's said:
The Colts are fortunate to have Chris Ballard as GM. Very impressive.

I think best case for Indy would be to hire Frank Reich as HC and he brings DeFilippo along as OC.

Wishful thinking. If Reich is coaxed away, I think DeFilippo gets offered the OC job in Philly and stays. 
how about you put on a suit for the press conference? Seriously? 

Ben & Jerry's said:
Jim Irsay is paying for the funerals of Edwin Jackson and the Uber driver. Substance abuse notwithstanding, Jimmy is a good dude.
yeah? that's the same as you dropping a penny from your pocket for him. not impressed. 

Let's see him do something like the Falcons do with respect to affordable game experiences then we can talk about him being a "good dude",. 

Not sure what is more sad..that McDaniels gave them the bird of that Ballard could not be bothered to put on a suit for the presser. Come on bro, your franchise is at a major turning point and your the face of the franchise at least for now. Walk to the closet and put on a suit or at least a nice shirt. Showing up in a t-shirt? Come on Bro....seriously. 

If your going to have egg on your face, at least LOOK PROFESSIONAL..... :wall:

Geez, could you be more jaded?  You know how many hours a day these guys are putting in right now pouring through FA and college players’ tape?  Your last few remarks are not making a very positive impression.

Aw c’mon.  You can dislike a guy and still admire and acknowledge a good deed, can’t you?
All he did was buy some free press and some "good dudes" from the community for the same cost to him of buying a cup of coffee to us. Big deal. Besides he will probably just deduct it form his taxes  :rolleyes: ..or raise the drink costs 10 cents at the stadium. Probably both. 

Geez, could you be more jaded?  You know how many hours a day these guys are putting in right now pouring through FA and college players’ tape?  Your last few remarks are not making a very positive impression.
It takes 5 minutes to put on a suit. I do it every day and I'm not speaking in front of the world for a BILLION dollar company. This is not some scout or trainer, its the GM. Act like it. 

It takes 5 minutes to put on a suit. I do it every day and I'm not speaking in front of the world for a BILLION dollar company. This is not some scout or trainer, its the GM. Act like it. 
YOU do it everyday because it is required of you. Pretty sure Ballard can get away with it. He's clearly comfortable in his own skin.

YOU do it everyday because it is required of you. Pretty sure Ballard can get away with it. He's clearly comfortable in his own skin.
He looked like some schlub and not the GM of a major NFL team. What a joke. You get paid Millions to look and act professional. This was a major PR issue for the team and he should have looked professional. 

Well its not like it was a Tuxedo t-shirt.

I figure he wanted to present a image of a guy hard at work, to busy to put on a business suit for others, sort of image. He wanted to project that he has been at the office around the clock, cleaning up the damage caused by the ill mannered child and is far to busy to worry about style.  he wanted to project that he ran down with updates and is going to run back upstairs and get back to work immediately, with no distractions.

Or, you know, he hates suits.

I figure he wanted to present a image of a guy hard at work, to busy to put on a business suit for others, sort of image. He wanted to project that he has been at the office around the clock, cleaning up the damage caused by the ill mannered child and is far to busy to worry about style.  he wanted to project that he ran down with updates and is going to run back upstairs and get back to work immediately, with no distractions.

:rolleyes: ....I Tuxedo T-Shirt would at least be funny. These are BILLION dollar companies...what's next shorts and flip flops on stage at the NFL draft? Maybe if he looked that part I could have taken the "rivalry" comment seriously...it just came off weak.....like his out fit. 

:rolleyes: ....I Tuxedo T-Shirt would at least be funny. These are BILLION dollar companies...what's next shorts and flip flops on stage at the NFL draft? Maybe if he looked that part I could have taken the "rivalry" comment seriously...it just came off weak.....like his out fit. 
I'm from a suit and tie generation. he may be trying to appeal to a new, younger demographic.  I hear what you are saying.  It rings true with me, but I simply am acknowledging that I may not be the target audience. Sort of like when the league ruins the flow of the championship game to pander to audiences that, let's face it, they will never capture in an ongoing way.  I miss being pandered to.  stupid marketers moving on into the future.  I hates them! :angry:

Dude, he is practically new for crying out loud.  He has only participated in one draft.  Do your research before spouting such nonsense.
I'm aware that he is new. Did he make any amazing picks in the draft, some big trades? did he improve the competitive nature of the team? I have seen nothing that makes me impressed. Any don't give me the "Luck was hurt", we just saw a team lead by a 3rd strong QB win the SB. 

Let's see: 

2016: 8-8

2017: 4-12 

I take that back..great job GM!  :thumbup:  at this rate 0-16 is only a season away. 

I'm from a suit and tie generation. he may be trying to appeal to a new, younger demographic.  I hear what you are saying.  It rings true with me, but I simply am acknowledging that I may not be the target audience. Sort of like when the league ruins the flow of the championship game to pander to audiences that, let's face it, they will never capture in an ongoing way.  I miss being pandered to.  stupid marketers moving on into the future.  I hates them! :angry:
The 40-65 crowd is the demographic for most NFL fans and certainly  season ticker holders. I'm sure this crowd would agree with me. 

I don't think the optics were as bad as the OP described (I just saw some video clips and I was expecting a white t-shirt out of the underwear drawer, but it looked new, was black, tight fitting and helped project the image that he is no nonsense, down-to-earth, hands-on administrator who is more concerned about the running the franchise than making the next issue of GQ.

And he does seems to have the sound bites down, ending the PC with "The rivalry is back on" https://twitter.com/IndySportsOne/status/961281293098070017 and before that when asked on whether or not Josh McDaniels gave him a reason for backing out: "I live in a black and white world. Either you're in or you're out. I didn't want the explanation." https://twitter.com/SInow/status/961274069424463872

As a Pats fan, I dont frequent other team threads, only here to acknowledge that McDaniels did not show class here.  Peace.
There you guys go again. Another Pats fan being more or less reasonable.  I even started a thread about it.  Damnit you guys are ruining my fun.  Can't a few of you have a melt down?

I don't think the optics were as bad as the OP described (I just saw some video clips and I was expecting a white t-shirt out of the underwear drawer, but it was looked new, was black, tight fitting and helped project the image that he is no nonsense, down-to-earth, hands-on administrator who is more concerned about the running the franchise than making the next issue of GQ.

And he does seems to have the sounds bites down, ending the PC with "The rivalry is back on" https://twitter.com/IndySportsOne/status/961281293098070017 and before that when asked on whether or not Josh McDaniels gave him a reason for backing out: "I live in a black and white world. Either you're in or you're out. I didn't want the explanation." https://twitter.com/SInow/status/961274069424463872
So throwing on a suit is "the next issue of GQ"? Oh brother...... He knew the night before he was making this press conference. If I just had my coaching search thrown in the garbage and was coming of a 4-12 season I'd do everything to look the part. Not like I just happened to stop by a last minute meeting. 

Just for laughs I did a search: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=NFL+GM%2C+press+coverence

What do I see? PROFESSIONAL ATTIRE like 90% of the time, the other 10% team gear. NO T-SHIRTS. 

Users who are viewing this thread