What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alex Smith to the Redskins. wow! (1 Viewer)

They signed him to a cheaper deal than Cousins would have gotten on the tag and they will get a 3rd compensatory pick for him, sounds like they are done being held captive by Kirk.
But kirk is better. And even if they were done with kirk, why not just draft a qb? Wtf does Smith except handcuff their cap?

They signed him to a cheaper deal than Cousins would have gotten on the tag and they will get a 3rd compensatory pick for him, sounds like they are done being held captive by Kirk.
Right. I don't get the whole "Redskins are crazy for giving up a number 3 for Smith."  Smith is just as good as Cousins and could be 5-7 million dollars cheaper per year, which gives major flexibility to build the rest of the team.  That flexibility is absolutely worth a number 3.  What  it's not worth is a number one...that would be the crappy move.  But a number 3...I don't think that's so bad.

Is the 23.5 million extension an actual reported, confirmed number or just come from Internet trolling?  That salary does appear high...I'm hoping that they keep Smith at 20 M per year range.

A lot of rumors, speculating, and trolling happening right now.  But whether this is a good value or bad value trade will play out between now and March I suppose.  

Assuming they don't throw a lot of money at other free agents.. 

And I don't think the comp pick would be until 2019.

Cousins had absolutely NOTHING to work with on offense last year
I'm not saying Kirk sucks.  I think he's good.  I also think Alex Smith is good.  But I'll be honest with you, the Redskins are a team that needs help in a lot of areas.  They are better off with Smith and cap flexibility to build the rest of the team than to blow the wad on Kirk.  The thing is, Kirk is not the guy that will lift the rest of the team up...as you imply, he needs guys around him. THAT is why he's not worth blowing the wad on (see Flacco, Joe).  If Smith and Cousins are in the same basic range (which I believe is true), then better to take the guy where you can build the rest of the team.  

Looking at QB in isolation is not realistic IMO...it still is a team game.

Right. I don't get the whole "Redskins are crazy for giving up a number 3 for Smith."  Smith is just as good as Cousins and could be 5-7 million dollars cheaper per year, which gives major flexibility to build the rest of the team.  That flexibility is absolutely worth a number 3.  What  it's not worth is a number one...that would be the crappy move.  But a number 3...I don't think that's so bad.

Is the 23.5 million extension an actual reported, confirmed number or just come from Internet trolling?  That salary does appear high...I'm hoping that they keep Smith at 20 M per year range.

A lot of rumors, speculating, and trolling happening right now.  But whether this is a good value or bad value trade will play out between now and March I suppose.  
It's not that they're crazy for giving up a 3rd. They're incompetent for not signing Cousins to an extension 2 years ago. They paid out the wazoo for 2 years and let him walk for practically nothing with no succession plan.

They could be paying 30 yo Cousins 23 mil next year instead of 34 yo Alex Smith. 

And only one of  those guys will throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield.

I'm not saying Kirk sucks.  I think he's good.  I also think Alex Smith is good.  But I'll be honest with you, the Redskins are a team that needs help in a lot of areas.  They are better off with Smith and cap flexibility to build the rest of the team than to blow the wad on Kirk.  The thing is, Kirk is not the guy that will lift the rest of the team up...as you imply, he needs guys around him. THAT is why he's not worth blowing the wad on (see Flacco, Joe).  If Smith and Cousins are in the same basic range (which I believe is true), then better to take the guy where you can build the rest of the team.  

Looking at QB in isolation is not realistic IMO...it still is a team game.
No problem of they wanna move on without cousins but they are better off without Smith

No problem of they wanna move on without cousins but they are better off without Smith
Yeah, they will ultimately have to move on from Smith soon anyways.  I'm still hoping they draft QB this year or next year.  In a way, I'm a little surprised at the trade in the sense that at 13 they might have gotten someone like Baker Mayfield...maybe they'll still go there but does seem less likely now.

Yeah, they will ultimately have to move on from Smith soon anyways.  I'm still hoping they draft QB this year or next year.  In a way, I'm a little surprised at the trade in the sense that at 13 they might have gotten someone like Baker Mayfield...maybe they'll still go there but does seem less likely now.
Yup. How soon will be the question. If he only starts for 2 years then this becomes a 35mil a season deal after the lost draft picks.

The thing is, Kirk is not the guy that will lift the rest of the team up...as you imply, he needs guys around him. THAT is why he's not worth blowing the wad on (see Flacco, Joe). 
I agree there's not a big difference is talent level between the two, both are good and neither is elite or will become elite, but they are different types of QB. I think Cousins is a better QB for the current Redskins. He can do more with less. Smith with the current weapons on the Redskins is a putrid offense.  I would put no faith in the Redskins putting pieces around Smith to make him successful - Snyder's track record is awful. 

It's not that they're crazy for giving up a 3rd. They're incompetent for not signing Cousins to an extension 2 years ago. They paid out the wazoo for 2 years and let him walk for practically nothing with no succession plan.

They could be paying 30 yo Cousins 23 mil next year instead of 34 yo Alex Smith. 

And only one of  those guys will throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield.
Clearly they f'ed up that contract years ago.  I wanted them to sign Kirk for 20 M years ago when they had RG3, but it's too late now.

It's a SEPARATE question as to whether this deal is good or not.  It's too late to undo the past so you can't use that to evaluate the current deal on the table.

Not saying it's the right thing to sign Smith.  Personally, I was ready for them to draft rookie, start him, and rebuild.  But if this deal can be done while giving the team cap flexibility to build the rest of the team, while also grooming a young guy for the future, it may not be a disaster.  

Only time will tell...

Clearly they f'ed up that contract years ago.  I wanted them to sign Kirk for 20 M years ago when they had RG3, but it's too late now.

It's a SEPARATE question as to whether this deal is good or not.  It's too late to undo the past so you can't use that to evaluate the current deal on the table.

Not saying it's the right thing to sign Smith.  Personally, I was ready for them to draft rookie, start him, and rebuild.  But if this deal can be done while giving the team cap flexibility to build the rest of the team, while also grooming a young guy for the future, it may not be a disaster.  

Only time will tell...
If they did guarantee him 70 mil the future is a long way away...

Only time will tell...
Not when the Cousins fiasco forced you into trading for a guy the week before the Super Bowl. And then signing him to the extension  you wouldn't give the last guy.

Cousins will likely become the highest paid player in the NFL and the Redskins are fortunate to not be the ones paying. 
This! 

It is not about Smith but about making Cousins the highest paid QB in the NFL.  Smith is very serviceable.  They  Redskins will be as good with Smith as with Cousins for about 50 million less over the course of the deal.

Not when the Cousins fiasco forced you into trading for a guy the week before the Super Bowl. And then signing him to the extension  you wouldn't give the last guy.
I don't understand this argument.  There is no option TODAY of signing Cousins to an extension of 23 M per year.  You can say they messed up in the past (true) but the decision TODAY may be 20 M per year for Smith vs. 28 M per year for Cousins. 

You cannot say the decision TODAY is to either sign Smith or go back in time and pay less for Cousins.

It's the fallacy of sunk costs...

Yeah my bad. Congrats on giving up future assets for a QB who will be 34 coming off a career year and paying him 23.5 mil.

And he doesn't have Tyreek Hill to turn his 7 yard out into a 72 yard TD anymore.

Really great haul for KC. They get out of paying Smith $20MM, acquire a 3rd round pick, and get a stud slot CB on a rookie deal. Only concern is how well Fuller can adjust to KC’s man-heavy scheme after playing a lot of zone in Washington.

Users who are viewing this thread