What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

That's amazing, and why he's a fan favorite already.
I love JuJu and what he brings to the game.  Full disclosure : even though I hate the Bengals, I was always a Chad Johnson/Ochocinco fan.  I like people who aren't milquetoast and mix things up a little.

That said, why do I feel like in today's popular culture/NFL culture, it's only a matter of time before he crosses some imaginary line and gets himself suspended for something like this?  Not that I think that he SHOULD be, only that he WILL be....

I love JuJu and what he brings to the game.  Full disclosure : even though I hate the Bengals, I was always a Chad Johnson/Ochocinco fan.  I like people who aren't milquetoast and mix things up a little.

That said, why do I feel like in today's popular culture/NFL culture, it's only a matter of time before he crosses some imaginary line and gets himself suspended for something like this?  Not that I think that he SHOULD be, only that he WILL be....
I don't know, the NFL is trying to be more "fun" so perhaps they loosen their control over off the field antics. 

In other news, it sounds like most mocks right now have either Ronnie Harrison or Rashaan Evans going to the Steelers. Is there any chance we trade back? If the Jets pass on a QB in the 1st, they could try to get back into the 1st to get Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson. Right now it looks like Harrison or Evans could still be there and we might be able to get another solid pick in a year where we need defensive help badly.

I don't know, the NFL is trying to be more "fun" so perhaps they loosen their control over off the field antics. 

In other news, it sounds like most mocks right now have either Ronnie Harrison or Rashaan Evans going to the Steelers. Is there any chance we trade back? If the Jets pass on a QB in the 1st, they could try to get back into the 1st to get Mason Rudolph or Lamar Jackson. Right now it looks like Harrison or Evans could still be there and we might be able to get another solid pick in a year where we need defensive help badly.
I think it's a great idea, but they never seem to do it.

Ryan Shaizer  was discharged from the rehab center today.

"

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier was discharged Thursday from the UPMC Rehabilitation Institute, Ben Schmitt of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

Shazier, 25, underwent spinal stabilization surgery after suffering an injury Dec. 4 in Cincinnati in a Monday Night Football game against the Bengals.

Throughout January, he has shared photos and videos on social media of himself in a wheelchair. However, UPMC doctors have not given a prognosis on his recovery.

In a lengthy Instagram post that shows him standing with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Shazier thanked his family, teammates, trainers and doctors.

"I've had a lot of 1st downs at UPMC, but you know being the defensive guy I am, my mind is on 3 and out. With that being said, I want everyone to know that I'm moving on to the next step of the process. Today's a big day for me as I'm officially being released from the hospital," Shazier's post said.

"I want to take a moment to thank the people who have helped me the past two months. First and foremost, I want to thank God because at the end of the day I don't think I'd be making progress without His vision and hands protecting me and my family. I will continue to trust in Him and thank Him, because it all starts with Him." 

http://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/68124/Steelers-linebacker-Ryan-Shazier-discharged-from-UPMC-rehab-institute

Last edited by a moderator:
Evilgrin 72 said:
I didn't realize that the 2017 thread had been re-named for 2018.  Personally, I think we should start clean with a new thread.  The ongoing threads that have 38 pages over 5 seasons are for teams with weaker fanbases than ours.
As a Steelers fan, get out of here with your self-righteous speech.  A thread is a thread that has current information.  All you did by creating this one is divert attention and split the content.  Not what should be done.  

As a Steelers fan, get out of here with your self-righteous speech.  A thread is a thread that has current information.  All you did by creating this one is divert attention and split the content.  Not what should be done.  
I promise, it's going to be OK. 

I've been posting here for roughly 15 years. Every year we have a new thread. I also didn't realize the 2017 thread had been re-named. I swear this is all on the up and up. 

Renamed the old thread. Hope that stops the confusion.

Also, good to see Shazier on his feet!

Glad we resigned Berry.

It would be nice if we could come out of this draft with a starting Safety, a starting ILB, an OLB who could start next year, and a Guard who could start next year.

Renamed the old thread. Hope that stops the confusion.

Also, good to see Shazier on his feet!

Glad we resigned Berry.

It would be nice if we could come out of this draft with a starting Safety, a starting ILB, an OLB who could start next year, and a Guard who could start next year.
I'd be even happier if I could tell Shazier was standing on his own.  The photo makes it look as if Ben might be propping him up.  It's a good sign either way, but if he were standing without holding on to anyone, I'd be happier still.

This seriously got you all worked up?  Give me a break.  

I'd be even happier if I could tell Shazier was standing on his own.  The photo makes it look as if Ben might be propping him up.  It's a good sign either way, but if he were standing without holding on to anyone, I'd be happier still.
I saw another pic of Ryan with the UPMC staff and it looked like he was standing on his own but I can't seem to find it online anywhere

I’ll probably continue to be in the minority but a major commitment to Lev Bell is a huge mistake and a disaster waiting to happen. I know he’s a great pass catcher on top of him being a great volume guy and grinder but he’s a POS off the field. You have one of the best lines in the league. Move on, there are more than adequate options to fill in the spot in free agency and the draft. 

I’ll probably continue to be in the minority but a major commitment to Lev Bell is a huge mistake and a disaster waiting to happen. I know he’s a great pass catcher on top of him being a great volume guy and grinder but he’s a POS off the field. You have one of the best lines in the league. Move on, there are more than adequate options to fill in the spot in free agency and the draft. 
If Ben really wants to play 3 more years, my guess is that they're upping the guaranteed money to where Bell will sign, but where he's cuttable after 3 seasons without an egregious dead money hit. They're going to want to keep the band together until Ben hangs them up. Last year, they were probably trying to build in outs after a year or two in case they needed to rebuild on the fly. That's probably why they're closer this year. If he won't sign their offer, then they tag him. Let him retire if he doesn't want to play on the tag. 

What makes you think this? I haven't seen any news of him being a bad teammate or bad to fans. He was late to walkthroughs before the Playoff game, but it was a personal matter that he said the Steelers Staff knew about. He was also caught smoking weed, but a large percentage of the NFL does that. 

Seems like a good guy who works really hard and made 1 mistake.

Side note : I am SO glad Harrison didn't get another ring with NE. Had he just been cut (and gone anywhere but NE,) I'd have been rooting for him to get another. I just hate seeing players get rewarded for the kind of obnoxious crap he pulled, assuming the stories are true. I bear no animosity towards him, but I'm glad it didn't work out. :lol:

ESPN reporting today that he has regained movement in his legs and is on a regular walking routine. :towelwave:
It was clarified today that he is not yet walking on his own.

"Ryan Shazier improving but not walking on his own
Feb
2/6/2018 8:54:00 AM
|More
A former NFL team doctor said Monday that a "walking routine" does not mean Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier can move around on his own, but it's encouraging news for his recovery, Bent Schmitt of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

"This is certainly very positive news," said Dr. David Chao, an orthopedic surgeon who worked 17 years as team doctor for the former San Diego Chargers. "Does this mean he is going to walk independently and run? We're not there yet."

Chao spoke to the Tribune-Review on Monday as he boarded a San Diego-bound flight from Minneapolis, the host city of Super Bowl LII. He writes columns from a medical expert's perspective for the San Diego Union-Tribune's ProFootballDoc.com .

Reflecting on Shazier's Dec. 4 spinal cord injury during a game against the Cincinnati Bengals, Chao said, "That night on the field it was pretty obvious that he couldn't move his legs."

ESPN's Adam Schefter cited unnamed sources in a report Sunday morning that Shazier had regained movement in his legs and started a walking routine.

That report was clarified by NBC sideline reporter Michele Tafoya , who said Sunday afternoon that an unnamed source told her Shazier wanted to better explain his situation.

"Although he does have movement in his legs, he is not walking on his own," Tafoya tweeted. "Shazier needs assistance from a walker or other people to support him in his rehabilitation walking, which remains a struggle."   

UPMC doctors performed spinal stabilization surgery on Shazier a few days after his December injury. He was released Thursday from UPMC Rehabilitation Institute and is continuing outpatient therapy.

"I would be shocked if he was currently walking without assistance," Chao said. "

http://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/68201/Ryan-Shazier-improving-but-not-walking-on-his-own 

Carnell Lake has resigned.  I wonder if he was pushed out the door.

"

Carnell Lake resigns as Steelers defensive backs coach
Feb
2/7/2018 11:50:28 AM
|More
Citing a desire to be closer to and spend more time with family, Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake announced his resignation Wednesdaym Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

Lake was in his seventh season on Mike Tomlin's staff. He played 10 seasons for the Steelers (1989-98) in addition to three other NFL seasons for two teams.

“I have decided to return to California to be able to be a part of my youngest son's last year of high school football,” Lake said in a statement released by the team.

The Steelers finished fifth in the NFL in pass defense this past season (201.1 yards per game) but allowed 214 yards to unheralded Blake Bortles in a 45-42 loss to Jacksonville in the playoffs. The Steelers' secondary had gone a dramatic turnover in personnel over the past two years, adding high draft picks Artie Burns, Sean Davis and Cameron Sutton, high-profile free agent Joe Haden and first-year free agent Mike Hilton.

“I want to thank Mr. Art Rooney II and the Rooney family, Coach Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert, the coaching staffs I have worked with throughout my time in Pittsburgh, and the entire Steelers organization,” Lake's statement read. “It has been a privilege and honor to play and coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers. I also want to thank all of the players I have coached during my seven years with the team – it truly was an honor to work with them. Finally, I would like to thank Steelers fans for their support and for being the best fans in the NFL during both my time as a player and coach.” 

http://www.theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/68229/Carnell-Lake-resigns-as-Steelers-defensive-backs-coach

Had no problem  with Lake.  Lb coach and DC, major problem.  But let's get rid of Lake because someone has to take the fall, for Tomlin, and Butler.  Who should both be gone. 

Next year more of the same, maybe we'll  get rid of Munchack and the DL coach so Tomlin can still keep his job.

Had no problem  with Lake.  Lb coach and DC, major problem.  But let's get rid of Lake because someone has to take the fall, for Tomlin, and Butler.  Who should both be gone. 

Next year more of the same, maybe we'll  get rid of Munchack and the DL coach so Tomlin can still keep his job.
I think the apparent lack of development on guys like Davis and Burns is likely what led to this. Or Lake really did want to be In California, who knows? 

Tomlin isn't perfect, but we just went 13-3. A bad replay review/catch rule away from being 14-2 and the #1 seed. It's an easy knee-jerk reaction to say "Fire Tomlin" but without a suggested alternative who is going to make the team appreciably better, it's just anger over a playoff loss. Fire Tomlin and hire whom? What coach is out there that is going to be the guy that can be the difference? The guys that have been hired so far this off-season are all question marks. Did you want Gruden? Patricia? 

Sorry I strongly disagree,  Carnell Lake was a great player and good guy but I never saw any evidence that he was a good coach.   The Steelers secondary has been a disaster for years.

You may have a point with Porter:  the LB play this year got steadily worse but that will happen when you lose your best player.  I think Butler is a good coach but it might be time for a fresh approach on defense.

Tomlin isn't perfect but he is one of the best head coaches in the game.  The thought of firing him is laughable

I think the apparent lack of development on guys like Davis and Burns is likely what led to this. Or Lake really did want to be In California, who knows? 

Tomlin isn't perfect, but we just went 13-3. A bad replay review/catch rule away from being 14-2 and the #1 seed. It's an easy knee-jerk reaction to say "Fire Tomlin" but without a suggested alternative who is going to make the team appreciably better, it's just anger over a playoff loss. Fire Tomlin and hire whom? What coach is out there that is going to be the guy that can be the difference? The guys that have been hired so far this off-season are all question marks. Did you want Gruden? Patricia? 
I would like to give David Shaw a chance I feel he would be a good coach.  There is plenty of college coaches also.  Tomlin is an average coach with excellent talent on both sides of the ball.  We win in spite of him.  Getting rid of Tomlin isn't a knee jerk reaction.

Also I thought Burns and Davis were a bright spot of the dbs this season guess I'm wrong.

DeCastro and Tuitt were restructured, and looking to extend Ben, which will likely reduce his 2018 cap hit. Bell long term deal coming?

tkrull said:
Do they keep V.McDonald for another year?
Reasonable cap hits for next 2 seasons (18 is 4.3 and 19 is 5.1), and then reasonable club option caps hit in 20 and 21 (5.5). If he can stay healthy, I think it will be a bargain, as he showed flashes of being a playmaker.

tkrull said:
Do they keep V.McDonald for another year?
Hope so.

Mocks keep coming out with us taking Ronald Jones, I just don't see it. Even if Bell isn't resigned (which I think he will be), I can't see us taking a RB in the 1st with how much help our D could use.  If Bell is signed or tagged, I doubt we take an RB before the 4th unless a 1st round talent falls to the 2nd/3rd. 

Bigger needs even if Bell leaves: S, ILB, OLB, ILB, G, OT, CB, QB

We have Williams and Matakevich, I like both, but both spots could be upgraded.

Hope so.

Mocks keep coming out with us taking Ronald Jones, I just don't see it. Even if Bell isn't resigned (which I think he will be), I can't see us taking a RB in the 1st with how much help our D could use.  If Bell is signed or tagged, I doubt we take an RB before the 4th unless a 1st round talent falls to the 2nd/3rd. 

If they don't sign or franchise Bell they will have no choice but to take a RB in the first couple rounds or sign a veteran FA.   Hyde, Lewis, Hill are the best available.

No way in heck you can go into 2018 with the oft-injured Conner and a below-average Toussaint.

Hope so.

I don't think there's a chance in hell we're taking a RB in round 1, even if Bell walks.  I don't even like Guice or Jones for our offense as much as I like a guy like Kerryon Johnson, who's liable to be there in the 2nd, or Ballage, who will be there in the 3rd most likely.  Pair one of those guys with Conner and we could still do damage in the run game, especially with the added attention that will be paid to the receivers.  They'll face a lot of 7 man fronts with a very good run blocking line in front of them.

I don't think there's a chance in hell we're taking a RB in round 1, even if Bell walks.  I don't even like Guice or Jones for our offense as much as I like a guy like Kerryon Johnson, who's liable to be there in the 2nd, or Ballage, who will be there in the 3rd most likely.  Pair one of those guys with Conner and we could still do damage in the run game, especially with the added attention that will be paid to the receivers.  They'll face a lot of 7 man fronts with a very good run blocking line in front of them.
If we can't sign Bell long term before the tag period, they're going to tag him. 99% that's what happens. So this isn't even an issue really. But, if they did let him walk, I'd want them to sign Hyde instead of drafting a guy. We need D so badly, and Hyde is very underrated in my eyes. He's always performed very well in a bad offense with a poor line. I think he could put up top 8 RB stats easily with our offense.

steelers1080 said:
If we can't sign Bell long term before the tag period, they're going to tag him. 99% that's what happens. So this isn't even an issue really. But, if they did let him walk, I'd want them to sign Hyde instead of drafting a guy. We need D so badly, and Hyde is very underrated in my eyes. He's always performed very well in a bad offense with a poor line. I think he could put up top 8 RB stats easily with our offense.
I agree that if they can't work out a deal they'll franchise him but I'm not so sure that I like that.  If they can't work out a reasonable long term agreement then I would definitely be cool with spending less than 1/2 of that on Hyde and use the rest of the cash to sign a decent veteran defensive player.  Bell is a great back but they need to spread the wealth to the defense.

I agree that if they can't work out a deal they'll franchise him but I'm not so sure that I like that.  If they can't work out a reasonable long term agreement then I would definitely be cool with spending less than 1/2 of that on Hyde and use the rest of the cash to sign a decent veteran defensive player.  Bell is a great back but they need to spread the wealth to the defense.
I think Murray could be a fit as well.

Users who are viewing this thread