What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (3 Viewers)

Our second half adjustments on Offense are nonexistent. We have 0 ability to move the ball in the 4th after the opponent has seen what our game plan is. Between that and Ben just missing open receivers, we stood no chance.

Also, would firing Butler and getting a new DC even help? Our players can't tackle even if they're in the right place. Berhe looked like a joke, running behind WRs on every route so they had easy catches. 

Tomlin's challenge was ill advised, but he gets that call from someone in the booth.

The team looks like dog**it. I held out hope and tried to be optimistic, but without some kind of drastic change or an incredible change in momentum, we have almost no chance at making the playoffs. Right now we are playing like a bottom 8 team and we have a very tough schedule coming up. Falcons, Bengals, Browns, Ravens... I'd be surprised if we go 2-2 if we keep playing as we have been. 

Falcons, Bengals, Browns, Ravens, Panthers, Jags, Broncos, Chargers, Raiders, Pats, Saints, Bengals.  All of those teams look better than us except maybe the Broncos and Raiders. 

Can coaches be poached mid-season? Like could we hire a QB coach or something to be our new OC? Because if not, promoting from within isn't going to help, but Fichtner isn't good. 

I would say that best hope would be to promote Munchak. The O-line hasn't been as dominant because Big Al sucks, but I wouldn't put any faith in any of the other options. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh this team is done with a capital D.  I would love for them to get rid of Butler but it won’t make a difference for this year.  The players have no discipline, are always out of position and can’t tackle.  I don’t understand how we put such an emphasis on the secondary over the past few years and missed this badly.  They must be a bottom 3 unit in the league.  Shazier is a freaking legend.  One man made this big of a difference.

Ben was horrible in the 2nd half.  They were in position to win the game and he made some really bad throws.  I don’t know what happened yesterday but he was off.  It could also be that there is so much pressure on him knowing that he has to put up a ton of points every week.  He will turn it around against Atlanta.

One bright spot was Boswell and the special teams coverage was good.  Punter still stinks. 

It’s going to be a long season.  Can’t wait to see how they cover the Atlanta receivers.     :scared:  

One HUGE thing that stuck out yesterday ... we can't get pressure on the opposing QB without blitzing.  Glaringly obvious, and frustrating.

Yeah we stink. 

As bad as the defense was, and they were horrible, the offense really blew this game.  It was nice to see them tie the game before the half and have you hope but then they blow the momentum with a 3 and out to start the 2nd half.   Here are the "drives" of the 2nd half:

3 plays, PUNT
6 plays, PUNT
3 plays, PUNT
4 plays, PUNT
3 plays, INT
4 plays, end of game

The play calling sucked (only 9 carries for Conner?), Ben sucked, JuJu drops a TD pass, O-line was awful (19 rushing yds and 1.7 avg???)

Coming into this season we knew the defense was going to be bad and unfortunately they are even worse than expected.  The ONLY chance the Steelers have to win a game is to score 30+ points and if they can't deliver we are toast.  

There is still a lot of football to play but looking at their schedule it is tough to see them winning more than 5 or 6 games this year.  Hopefully a light will come on but it is not looking good. 

"drives" haha, 100% agree.

Also, reports on the Leveon-front, says he'll be coming back during the bye week. 1, I'll believe it when I see it. 2, I think as long as he talks it out with the team, it'll be business as usual after he returns. This team can't afford to hold grudges, we don't have that luxury sitting at 1-2-1.

Whether he is still on the team at week 7 remains to be seen. His cost this year has dropped each week, he's now in the price range of several teams that were previously too close to the cap. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I've flip flopped on this issue about a hundred times. I started in his camp, then got upset that he didn't at least tell someone he wouldn't be there week 1 after saying he would be, and now I'm just exhausted from all the drama and from our losses.

If Bell comes back and is in shape and is working hard to help the team, I'm going to welcome him back 100% and let bygones be bygones, especially if we start winning.

He also mentioned that he still wants to retire a Steeler and thinks a deal could get done. I think it's far-fetched but not impossible. The value of the transition tag has dropped further and further since he's losing $$ each week, the Steelers will have the opportunity to match any offer he gets, and I think they could do it. Especially if the team gets rolling after he gets back. 

Hypothetical greatness: We trade Leveon Bell... AND he retires a Steeler.

Picture this, the Steelers FO know that this season could be lost due to a very, very poor defense. Knowing this, they trade Leveon to a team willing to shell out, the Dolphins maybe, or Jets? Idk, some foolish team. And we get a 2nd or 3rd round pick in return. Some people would be happy, others sad, but picture this. Leveon would then be a FA in the offseason. He could resign with Pittsburgh if he wanted to.  Just imagine if we got a 2nd round pick from the Dolphins, possibly a top 50 pick, and then still had Leveon.

It'll never happen, 0% chance, but it would be pretty epic. 

Hypothetical greatness: We trade Leveon Bell... AND he retires a Steeler.

Picture this, the Steelers FO know that this season could be lost due to a very, very poor defense. Knowing this, they trade Leveon to a team willing to shell out, the Dolphins maybe, or Jets? Idk, some foolish team. And we get a 2nd or 3rd round pick in return. Some people would be happy, others sad, but picture this. Leveon would then be a FA in the offseason. He could resign with Pittsburgh if he wanted to.  Just imagine if we got a 2nd round pick from the Dolphins, possibly a top 50 pick, and then still had Leveon.

It'll never happen, 0% chance, but it would be pretty epic. 
You forgot the part where Santa Claus and the "Toof " Fairy play linebacker and completely turn the defense around.

The Steelers are in no position to make a playoff run this season. Wait until week 6 and rescind the franchise tag if they can't trade him. Save the balance of his contract and move on to 2019. Use this money to build a D next season.

You'd be naive to expect Bell to finish the season giving 100%.

I hope the Steelers use the 2 week roster exemption on him if he reports for the bye just for a paycheck.  IF he reports and IF we pay him, it should be for weeks he plays, not for weeks he doesn't.

No idea if they'd do that or not, but they should.  If this is a business decision for Bell, it should be for the Steelers too.

The Steelers are in no position to make a playoff run this season. Wait until week 6 and rescind the franchise tag if they can't trade him. Save the balance of his contract and move on to 2019. Use this money to build a D next season.

You'd be naive to expect Bell to finish the season giving 100%.
While I agree the Steelers are not in position to make a playoff run, there are a couple of reasons why I don't think the Steelers will rescind the tag:

1)  Doing so would give Bell exactly what he wants and would set up a precedent for others you might franchise in the future

2)  The Steelers will get nothing in return.  Not even a compensatory pick

3)  If by some miracle the team gets back in the race, either by playing better or other teams playing worse, you lose a great player that potentially signs with a team you're contending.  

4)  Even if the Steelers realize the playoffs are a longshot they still might feel they owe it to themselves, their players, the fans, the rest of the NFL to be as competitive as possible

While I agree the Steelers are not in position to make a playoff run, there are a couple of reasons why I don't think the Steelers will rescind the tag:

1)  Doing so would give Bell exactly what he wants and would set up a precedent for others you might franchise in the future

2)  The Steelers will get nothing in return.  Not even a compensatory pick

3)  If by some miracle the team gets back in the race, either by playing better or other teams playing worse, you lose a great player that potentially signs with a team you're contending.  

4)  Even if the Steelers realize the playoffs are a longshot they still might feel they owe it to themselves, their players, the fans, the rest of the NFL to be as competitive as possible
Thoughts...

1. Why should the Steelers care what Bell wants at this point? This is a business decision. You have to make a decision that's in the best interest of the teams future. To worry about the unlikely chance a situation plays out like this is folly and remote.

2. Again, my thoughts are if you can't trade him before the bye. Is a 3rd round compensatory pick worth $8.5MM?

3. Evaluate after week 6, but would be surprised if they make a run. The D is bad. Can't worry what happens to Bell moving forward, have to remove fear and emotion.

4. The Steelers are competing with what they have. Agree that Conner is no Bell but the O personnel isn't the issue. Bell may be worth two wins they may not have gotten without him. This is of course if he doesn't get "injured" and plays to his ability which is far from a guarantee.

Thoughts...

1. Why should the Steelers care what Bell wants at this point? This is a business decision. You have to make a decision that's in the best interest of the teams future. To worry about the unlikely chance a situation plays out like this is folly and remote.

2. Again, my thoughts are if you can't trade him before the bye. Is a 3rd round compensatory pick worth $8.5MM?

3. Evaluate after week 6, but would be surprised if they make a run. The D is bad. Can't worry what happens to Bell moving forward, have to remove fear and emotion.

4. The Steelers are competing with what they have. Agree that Conner is no Bell but the O personnel isn't the issue. Bell may be worth two wins they may not have gotten without him. This is of course if he doesn't get "injured" and plays to his ability which is far from a guarantee.
1. I don't think it is about Bell getting what he wants -- it is more of a case of rewarding a player for holding out.

2. I'm not sure which they value more

3. If they feel they are in contention they wouldn't want Bell going to an AFC team in the playoff hunt.  If they think they can't make a run then I agree it doesn't matter where Bell goes.

4. You have to assume Bell is going to play hard and if he does it will help the team win.  If you think he'll slack off then you need to review #2 and make the decision is best for the team.  My point was the Steelers will likely do what they think will give them the best chance to win, regardless of record.

I'm getting more optimistic about this game against ATL as the days go by.  The ATL D is probably worse than the Steelers D, they will be at home, Ben gave one of his "that lose is on me" interviews after the BALT debacle - Ben is going to throw for 6TD and 500 yards!

I'm getting more optimistic about this game against ATL as the days go by.  The ATL D is probably worse than the Steelers D, they will be at home, Ben gave one of his "that lose is on me" interviews after the BALT debacle - Ben is going to throw for 6TD and 500 yards!
and Grady Jarrett is out

Tomlin needs to go for 2 every single time from this point forward.  Every single time.  I’m certain  that’s the positive expected value play.  If the Steelers are in FG range and it’s 4th and 5 or less, they need to go for it every time (other than the extreme extenuating situations).  

Steelers getting pressure on QB today. If not for a horrible roughing the passer call against watt, atl doesn't get that fg. The calls are just unbearable anymore. 

That roughing the passer call on Watt was brutal but that’s the state of the NFL these days.  Just a brutally awful call
Need to go for the ball anymore. That’s the only way to be safe. Khalil Mack is going to set the record for forced fumbles this year.

Wtf was Ben doing, is it that imperative to get the ball to brown. And Boswell has to go now. I hope they didnt give him too much guaranteed $.

lots of overreaction here about Boswell. he will be fine
I think a quarter season grace period has been long enough. These things happen with kickers.  I hope you’re right though, I actually like Boz but I also liked Suisham and Reed. It’s a replaceable position that demands routine perfection.

Nice win for the Steelers against a good offense but horrendous defense.    This division is could come down to the wire and this coming week's game against the Bengals is huge.   Win it and the Steelers are right in the thick of it.  Lose it and they may be done.

Looks like Tomlin told Ben to get Conner going as he has said multiple times Conner is the kind of back that gets better as the game goes on. 

Users who are viewing this thread