Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Evilgrin 72

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

11 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

There was one PI called against the Steelers that I thought was pretty horrible but otherwise the calls were probably legit.   It is funny how long Flacco has relied on the PI calls to move the ball.  He's been throwing up rainbows and hoping for a PI call his whole career.

"The Torrey Smith Strategy."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, infantsam said:

Yeah that is smart against us.

our new guys are at least running with the receivers but not turning around and locating the ball.  If they can just get turned the wr will have to make at a minimum a good catch in traffic and we are unlikely to get the pi.

like Hilton did on that end zone throw.  If he were 6’1 and more athletic he’d probably be a pro bowler.

I am glad he decided to play football instead though ?

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Should probably get prepared for 12/9 also.

or are you saying that each team can only be flexed a certain number of times?

I believe that each team can only be flexed a certain number of times, but I'm not 100% sure about that. That might only account for teams being flexed out of the 1 or 4 pm slates, not out of the Sunday night slate. I'm still hopeful we'll have at least this Thursday and our 1 other late game. 

14 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

I believe that each team can only be flexed a certain number of times, but I'm not 100% sure about that. That might only account for teams being flexed out of the 1 or 4 pm slates, not out of the Sunday night slate. I'm still hopeful we'll have at least this Thursday and our 1 other late game. 

I looked on NFL.com and didn't see where there are any restrictions on a team being flexed out but there still could be some unwritten rule.   Looking at the 12/9 schedule I think there are a few games that are more intriguing than the Steelers-Raiders.   I think we get flexed again...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I looked on NFL.com and didn't see where there are any restrictions on a team being flexed out but there still could be some unwritten rule.   Looking at the 12/9 schedule I think there are a few games that are more intriguing than the Steelers-Raiders.   I think we get flexed again...

I think we can get flexed out, but might not be able to get flexed in because CBS can protect games. So I'm not sure the Chargers, Pats, or Saints games can be moved to prime time, even though they are better matchups. 

26 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

I think we can get flexed out, but might not be able to get flexed in because CBS can protect games. So I'm not sure the Chargers, Pats, or Saints games can be moved to prime time, even though they are better matchups. 

Ah,  makes sense.   I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks

The theory pervading news right now is that the Steelers don't want Leveon to show up. That they and the NFL are behind the recent NFL report that Leveon would have to be tagged at the QB rate next year, and that the report isn't necessarily factual. Thus, the Steelers convince him he doesn't have to show up, but still can tag him at the ~$14 mil rate next year. Basically tricking him into thinking he doesn't need to show to accrue a year. It's an interesting theory, that I'm not sure I buy. 

He's in Pitt, why go back to Pitt if he's not going to show up? That sounds like a waste of his and everybody's time. But at this point, who the heck knows. 

22 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

He's in Pitt, why go back to Pitt if he's not going to show up? That sounds like a waste of his and everybody's time. But at this point, who the heck knows. 

Hey, he's unemployed. The poor guy had to reduce his cost of living so he cut his vacation short and went home.

• Like 1

We've got a really tough rest of season, especially if certain teams can turn things around.

• Panthers - They're been playing tough, depends on if we can keep Cam contained, stop any splash run plays, and get our offense clicking.
  • Jags - Their D hasn't shown up yet, but if they do they can be dominant. Also, Fournette will change their team 100% if he's healthy.
  • Broncos - They're not good, but we often play poorly in Denver. I expect this game to be closer than it should be and could be a tossup game.
  • Chargers - They're really good. I'm glad we play them at home, but this game is going to be hard fought. Hopefully Joey Bosa isn't back.
  • Raiders - They suck, but we're playing them in Oakland. They've spoiled us before when they've sucked. If we don't win this game, we don't deserve to make the playoffs.
  • Pats - Best team in the AFC. We have the talent to beat them, but they get the upper hand every time due to coaching. I think this game comes down to poor time management, or a botched challenge, or a terrible ref call, but I expect us to lose.
  • Saints - Best team in football right now. That could change by week 16, but this is going to be even harder than the Pats game. Also, if we somehow beat the Pats, I expect a letdown game. If we somehow beat the pats and saints, this could set up for a Superbowl rematch. 
  • Bengals - Andy Dalton. We should win, especially if AJ Green eventually goes to IR. Hopefully by Week 17 our playoff spot is settled, I'm hoping we're locked in to spot 1 or 2, but more realistically I think we could be locked into spot 3 or 4. If that's the case, rest lots of starters so the Bengals can't injure them. 

Realistically, and somewhat pessimistically, I think we probably go 5-3 down the stretch and end the year 10-5-1 which is good enough to win the AFC North and maybe the 3rd spot in the AFC. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelers1080 said:

The theory pervading news right now is that the Steelers don't want Leveon to show up. That they and the NFL are behind the recent NFL report that Leveon would have to be tagged at the QB rate next year, and that the report isn't necessarily factual. Thus, the Steelers convince him he doesn't have to show up, but still can tag him at the ~$14 mil rate next year. Basically tricking him into thinking he doesn't need to show to accrue a year. It's an interesting theory, that I'm not sure I buy. 

Again I do not understand all of the secrecy.   If you're in town why not go to the team office with your agent and discuss the situation?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

We've got a really tough rest of season, especially if certain teams can turn things around.

• Panthers - They're been playing tough, depends on if we can keep Cam contained, stop any splash run plays, and get our offense clicking.
  • Jags - Their D hasn't shown up yet, but if they do they can be dominant. Also, Fournette will change their team 100% if he's healthy.
  • Broncos - They're not good, but we often play poorly in Denver. I expect this game to be closer than it should be and could be a tossup game.
  • Chargers - They're really good. I'm glad we play them at home, but this game is going to be hard fought. Hopefully Joey Bosa isn't back.
  • Raiders - They suck, but we're playing them in Oakland. They've spoiled us before when they've sucked. If we don't win this game, we don't deserve to make the playoffs.
  • Pats - Best team in the AFC. We have the talent to beat them, but they get the upper hand every time due to coaching. I think this game comes down to poor time management, or a botched challenge, or a terrible ref call, but I expect us to lose.
  • Saints - Best team in football right now. That could change by week 16, but this is going to be even harder than the Pats game. Also, if we somehow beat the Pats, I expect a letdown game. If we somehow beat the pats and saints, this could set up for a Superbowl rematch. 
  • Bengals - Andy Dalton. We should win, especially if AJ Green eventually goes to IR. Hopefully by Week 17 our playoff spot is settled, I'm hoping we're locked in to spot 1 or 2, but more realistically I think we could be locked into spot 3 or 4. If that's the case, rest lots of starters so the Bengals can't injure them. 

Realistically, and somewhat pessimistically, I think we probably go 5-3 down the stretch and end the year 10-5-1 which is good enough to win the AFC North and maybe the 3rd spot in the AFC. 

Panthers: I agree this will be tough.  I think Steelers may be somewhat healthier and playing at home on a short week is an advantage.  

Jags:  They came out the gate looking like they could be the best team in the AFC but have stumbled badly and Bortles has been awful.  The Steelers defense has been better against the run this season so there is that and also both losses last year were the result of costly turnovers.  If the Steelers can avoid that I think they'll come out on top.  

Broncos:  Not worried about this one which means I probably should be.

Chargers:  This IS going to be a tough one.  Glad it is at home -- hopefully the weather is cold and lousy

Raiders:  the Raiders are the worst team in the league.  As you said if we can't beat them we don't deserve the playoffs

Pats:  what can you say other than Brady owns us?  I will say that they didn't get the upper hand in coaching last year.  That was a win if not for the infamous James call and an easy pick thrown by the GOAT right to Sean Davis but dropped.  The Pats just seem to have the Steelers number.

Saints:  Should be a shootout so will probably turn out to be a defensive game.    Seriously this should be a fun game to watch.  Hopefully the Steelers get an early Christmas gift

Bengals:  Certainly a game that looks to have a lot of playoff implications.  If the game is a must-win for the Steelers I think they will.   The Bengals seem to fold every time there a meaningful game is played between these two.

Looking forward to a good Thursday night game.

Our run D vs Panthers Run O.   Strength on strength

our pass D vs pants pass O.   Weak on weak although scrambling cam may threaten our pursuit

our run O vs panth D.   ?  I think we run on anyone but those LB’s.....

our pass O vs panth D.....    they will need to force a TO

kicking game......let’s hope it does not come to that.

it should be a good game.  If both teams play well I’d expect the under.

if it gets sloppy we might win big.

1 hour ago, simey said:

Looking forward to the game tonight. :boxing:  :football:

What's up Simey!  Where are you watching the game?

Last I heard Center Ryan Kalil is a game time decision.   If he can't go that would be a big loss for the Panthers.

For the Steelers only Gilbert and McCullers are out.

13 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

What's up Simey!  Where are you watching the game?

Hey IB! I am watching the game at home tonight. How about you?

50% chance at home, 50% chance of Fat Dogs, the Steelers bar at the corner of Holden and Spring Garden.

I'll have at least one Panthers fan with me.

5 minutes ago, Idiot Boxer said:

50% chance at home, 50% chance of Fat Dogs, the Steelers bar at the corner of Holden and Spring Garden.

I'll have at least one Panthers fan with me.

I hope the cats win, but cheers to a hopefully great game :banned:

8 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

*cough*

A lot has changed, hasn't it?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

:hifive:

:sadbanana:That was brutal for us Panthers fans.  At least there was one silver lining for me, I played Ben and JuJu in my longtime money league. Good luck to your Steelers on the rest of the season. Hopefully the cats bounce back strong.

• Like 2

I think that might have been the best I've ever seen the Steelers play. I've seen the Steelers dominate on defense for many years, and seen them dominate on offense recently, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen them dominate on offense, defense, and special teams in one game. I can't remember a game where Big Ben didn't have to play in the 4th quarter (after 5 seconds). 

Our offense looked great and finally managed to catch the deep ball. I'm worried about Conner, but until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume he'll be ok and that it's mostly precaution because we were dominating. Our O-line is playing lights out and that's without our starting RT. I pray that Munchak won't get sniped by another team and get the bug to be HC again. He's a ridiculously amazing offensive line coach, he just wasn't a good head coach. That's going to be my biggest fear this offseason.

The defense, wow. I'm not sure how we managed this turnaround since week 1, but our D has gone from looking miserable, to very competent. We're able to get consistent pressure. There were times where a better QB would have thrown the ball away, but Cam also has the scrambling ability to destroy defenses and we did a great job of containing that. After the first drive I thought the game was going to be a shootout in Carolina's favor. I'm not 100% sure what adjustments were made, but we were able to shut down their running game as the game progressed.

Our special teams played fairly well. The fumble was excellent, but we did have a couple kicks near the goal line that got returned past the 30. If we kick it to the line instead of deep, we should be able to stop the guy before the 25. Also, can't believe Bos made the 50 yarder! It looked a bit wobbly, but he made it!

Artie freakin Burns. I noticed he had come into the game and was like oh no, it's Artie. Next play, pass interference. Wasn't surprised at all, just disappointed. I'm not sure what we can do to help this guy, he just doesn't seem to be getting it.  I hope we move on from him this offseason for 2 reasons. Both him and the team need a change, maybe he can succeed elsewhere and we need to use that roster spot for someone that has more of a chance of success. He's still really young, but he's not showing any improvement. I remember stories of him shutting down AB in training camp over and over, but I just don't see that same player. Can we send him to CB training camp for a couple weeks? Is that a thing?

We've got a big game against the Jags next week. A tougher D, another great RB, and a QB that likes to run. If we can keep the ball rolling that would be excellent, but let's make sure not to have a let down game against a team that's been playing very poorly. 

Great win. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

I think that might have been the best I've ever seen the Steelers play. I've seen the Steelers dominate on defense for many years, and seen them dominate on offense recently, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen them dominate on offense, defense, and special teams in one game. I can't remember a game where Big Ben didn't have to play in the 4th quarter (after 5 seconds). 

Our offense looked great and finally managed to catch the deep ball. I'm worried about Conner, but until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume he'll be ok and that it's mostly precaution because we were dominating. Our O-line is playing lights out and that's without our starting RT. I pray that Munchak won't get sniped by another team and get the bug to be HC again. He's a ridiculously amazing offensive line coach, he just wasn't a good head coach. That's going to be my biggest fear this offseason.

The defense, wow. I'm not sure how we managed this turnaround since week 1, but our D has gone from looking miserable, to very competent. We're able to get consistent pressure. There were times where a better QB would have thrown the ball away, but Cam also has the scrambling ability to destroy defenses and we did a great job of containing that. After the first drive I thought the game was going to be a shootout in Carolina's favor. I'm not 100% sure what adjustments were made, but we were able to shut down their running game as the game progressed.

Our special teams played fairly well. The fumble was excellent, but we did have a couple kicks near the goal line that got returned past the 30. If we kick it to the line instead of deep, we should be able to stop the guy before the 25. Also, can't believe Bos made the 50 yarder! It looked a bit wobbly, but he made it!

Artie freakin Burns. I noticed he had come into the game and was like oh no, it's Artie. Next play, pass interference. Wasn't surprised at all, just disappointed. I'm not sure what we can do to help this guy, he just doesn't seem to be getting it.  I hope we move on from him this offseason for 2 reasons. Both him and the team need a change, maybe he can succeed elsewhere and we need to use that roster spot for someone that has more of a chance of success. He's still really young, but he's not showing any improvement. I remember stories of him shutting down AB in training camp over and over, but I just don't see that same player. Can we send him to CB training camp for a couple weeks? Is that a thing?

We've got a big game against the Jags next week. A tougher D, another great RB, and a QB that likes to run. If we can keep the ball rolling that would be excellent, but let's make sure not to have a let down game against a team that's been playing very poorly. 

Great win. 

I agree with everything  you said.  But you missed one HUGE thing imo and one that I love ... the lack of penalties.  They didn't get their first penalty until that Burns PI.  I love that improvement.

• Like 3

The Steelers are one of a few teams in the AFC that can make a Super Bowl run.  It’s amazing to see considering their start to the season in defense.  The defense looks possessed lately.  I think they beat the Jags due to long rest and revenge factor.  Also, Bortles has regressed.  I don’t see him being able to duplicate the game that he had in the playoffs.  

4 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

The Steelers are one of a few teams in the AFC that can make a Super Bowl run.  It’s amazing to see considering their start to the season in defense.  The defense looks possessed lately.  I think they beat the Jags due to long rest and revenge factor.  Also, Bortles has regressed.  I don’t see him being able to duplicate the game that he had in the playoffs.  

The turnover bug bit us big time in last season's two matchups.   If the Steelers protect the ball I think they'll be fine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bryhamm said:

I agree with everything  you said.  But you missed one HUGE thing imo and one that I love ... the lack of penalties.  They didn't get their first penalty until that Burns PI.  I love that improvement.

That was amazing. Artie's terrible pass interference was the first.

However, Walt Coleman's crew is notorious for calling very few penalties. I wish the NFL would tell other ref crews to take note. That game was actually watchable (minus Aikman and Buck). 

Maybe the biggest reason for the D’s success is that Haden has been shadowing the WR1 for the other team and has reverted to his shut down form.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wheezer34 said:

Really looking forward to the Bill Cowher "A Football Life" documentary tonight on NFL Network

Me too but don't have NFL network. Is it available any place else to Watch?

On 11/9/2018 at 4:20 PM, Wheezer34 said:

Really looking forward to the Bill Cowher "A Football Life" documentary tonight on NFL Network

This was really good. Man, I loved that guy. Good family man and coach.

Edited by geneyus

33 minutes ago, Bojang0301 said:

If the Lewis and Harbaugh rumblings are true Mike Tomlin is going to end up last man standing in the AFC North.

As long as Marvin Lewis continues to work for Mike Brown I assume he has very little chance of being fired.  Brown's tenure as owner in Cincy has been pretty dismal, and Marv has been manning the helm for the period of time they've actually been "decent" during those 24 years.  I'm also guessing he's willing to work cheap (since he's working for Brown in the first place).

I don't think Lewis is a great HC, but Brown is a)cheap as hell, and b)not very concerned about anything but his bottom line.  If firing Marv costs him a single dollar he won't do it.  They'll ride him out until the end of '19....and then probably try to keep him around anyway, ignoring once again that he can't win a playoff game. 

At that point though I'm thinking Marv may just be, like, "eff this noise after near 20 years" and retire.

New England looked really weak, but now they have a bye and Gronk could be back healthy afterwards which would completely change their offense. I don't think New England is going to look remotely similar to the team we just saw, after the bye. 

Cincy losing was great, and no matter who wins next week (Bengals vs Ravens) we win!

1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

New England looked really weak, but now they have a bye and Gronk could be back healthy afterwards which would completely change their offense. I don't think New England is going to look remotely similar to the team we just saw, after the bye. 

Cincy losing was great, and no matter who wins next week (Bengals vs Ravens) we win!

I'm torn about rooting for the Ravens to even out the standings, the problem is I don't think I can physically root for them ever, and I want to see them buried.

Ultimately, I just need to worry about us taking care of business, let the rest fall where it may.

12 minutes ago, ThaPenguin said:

I'm torn about rooting for the Ravens to even out the standings, the problem is I don't think I can physically root for them ever, and I want to see them buried.

Ultimately, I just need to worry about us taking care of business, let the rest fall where it may.

This, of course, is the answer.  The Steelers need to win both of the next two games on the road:  Jacksonville and Denver.   Both of these teams are 3-6 and should be wins but playing on the road is always tough.

Actually if they can win the games they are expected to win (Jags, Broncos, Raiders and Bengals) they'll make the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Time to call CJ Anderson's agent?

Is Anderson that much of an upgrade over Ridley?   Then again Ridley does seem to have fallen out of favor with the coaching staff.  

7 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Is Anderson that much of an upgrade over Ridley?   Then again Ridley does seem to have fallen out of favor with the coaching staff.  

He’s an upgrade I would say. I still think Samuels is more of what they want. I still wish they’d bring in Ryan Nall over Ridley. 240lbs, good speed and can catch out of the backfield. He’d fit this offense way more than Ridley.

It's going to be another annoying offseason I think. I doubt they let him walk scot-free. 

This week's game should be easy, that's how I know it'll be close/dangerous. The Jags just lost their best O-lineman, and their D is playing poorly, compared to what they could be doing. We have to push on the gas and not let up, whenever we're leading and then we try to change the game plan, that's when things fall apart. 

16 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

And....it's official.

Good riddance Le'Veon.

It's a glorious day.  Biggest idiot in the history of sports.

6 hours ago, irish eyes said:

It's a glorious day.  Biggest idiot in the history of sports.

It's official, finally.  Just bought a Conner jersey.  Will where it at the Broncos game next weekend, and hope to be wearing it for at least a few years.

All on the James Train!

The NFL is flexing the heck out of the Steelers schedule:

Week 11:  @ Jacksonville  originally scheduled for 8:20, now 1:00 pm

Week 13:  vs Chargers, originally 1:00 pm, now 8:20 pm

Week 14: @ Oakland, originally 8:20 pm, now 4:25 om

2 hours ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

4 late afternoon games in the last 7.  That's unusual.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers Pats game is flexed to Sunday night, and maybe the Saints too. We have a lot of real tough matchups coming up.