What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (5 Viewers)

A lot of people are starting to talk about the Steelers going after Shaquem Griffin, but I'm not sure we have the right picks to take him. He tested out really well, but is still projected in the 5th/6th round (last I saw). I think if we wanted to take him the best spot would be end of the 4th. Perhaps we could trade back from our 3rd pick, gain an extra later pick, and take him in the 4th, but I'm not sure it'll work out. We'll see though I suppose. 

Would be pretty happy if we ended up with Rashaan Evans or LVE, Marcus Allen, and Shaquem Griffin.

Also, LVE needs to lose weight before his pro-day. He apparently bulked up from 240 to 250+ and he looked off. Maybe if he lost weight/bulk he could flow more naturally and be better in coverage. Didn't look like a 1st rounder to me at higher weight.

A lot of people are starting to talk about the Steelers going after Shaquem Griffin, but I'm not sure we have the right picks to take him. He tested out really well, but is still projected in the 5th/6th round (last I saw). I think if we wanted to take him the best spot would be end of the 4th. Perhaps we could trade back from our 3rd pick, gain an extra later pick, and take him in the 4th, but I'm not sure it'll work out. We'll see though I suppose. 

Would be pretty happy if we ended up with Rashaan Evans or LVE, Marcus Allen, and Shaquem Griffin.

Also, LVE needs to lose weight before his pro-day. He apparently bulked up from 240 to 250+ and he looked off. Maybe if he lost weight/bulk he could flow more naturally and be better in coverage. Didn't look like a 1st rounder to me at higher weight.
No 4th round pick. We have ours and San Fran's 5th rounders (McDonald trade.) 

If my math is right, he'll only count around 7M (rough #) this year but his cap hits for the ensuing 3 seasons will be about $21M, 18M, and 19M. This could be a harbinger of things to come if they figure they'll be spending 14.5M at the RB spot this year and only a couple million the next few years.... 

Le'Veon Bell said he was offered over 13 million a year last year, and was offered a little more recently. But he wants to see if he can get "a bit more."

I dont see anything shocking or terrible here, just business as usual for a player of his caliber and a team like Pittsburgh. Its just how the NFL is set-up.

I'm sure HE wants to, the real question is whether or not the Steelers want him back and if so, is he willing to sign for at/near the vet minimum? 

More exciting Steelers news:

Steelers placed 2nd round tender on K Chris Boswell

Steelers place original round tender(6th)  on LB Anthony Chickillo

Steelers do not extend any tender to WR Eli Rogers -- he is now a UFA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Browns agreed to terms Tuesday night on a five-year deal worth $37.5 million, including about $18 million guaranteed with former Steelers offensive tackle Chris Hubbard,
We knew this was coming.  A nice contract for Hubbard who was a valuable backup for the Steelers.

Also heard the Steelers are restructuring Villanueva’s contract. They are expected to save close to $4 million in cap space by converting 2018 money to signing bonus.  It would be nice to think they were doing this to make a key FA pickup but this is just to try to get the team under the cap by the deadline.

We knew this was coming.  A nice contract for Hubbard who was a valuable backup for the Steelers.

Also heard the Steelers are restructuring Villanueva’s contract. They are expected to save close to $4 million in cap space by converting 2018 money to signing bonus.  It would be nice to think they were doing this to make a key FA pickup but this is just to try to get the team under the cap by the deadline.
I thought they were already under now?

But have all of the moves been completed yet? And sounds like a few other cuts coming as well. 

Doubt we have the space for Honey Badger, but I have seen reports on two sites already. 

So, we have no money to try and get Preston Brown?
I heard Ed Bouchette say that the Steelers grade every FA and assign a dollar value to them.  If there is someone they want they will be willing to make necessary moves to create the cap space if they think they can sign them for that amount.  So his feeling was that they could make a couple moves if the right guy is there at the right price.

For whatever that is worth...

Ohhhhhh ****! Steelers making moves! Signed a big Free Agent. Fitz Toussaint! Probably to around the vet minimum, 1-year deal.

It won't happen, and probably shouldn't happen, but imagine if we got Mike Pouncey to play LG and reserve center. That would be sick.

Ohhhhhh ****! Steelers making moves! Signed a big Free Agent. Fitz Toussaint! Probably to around the vet minimum, 1-year deal.
This guy must have dirty pictures of someone on the coaching staff or front office cause he stinks.

ETA:  Championship!

Whelp, the Steelers missed out on the talented, younger ILBs. Maybe we'll get a mediocre one?

Also, Steelers met with Rudolph and James Washington. Wouldn't be my favorite draft with how poor parts of our D are, but getting Rudolph and Washington in the 1st and 2nd wouldn't be the worst.

I understand both sides of the 1st round QB debate. Seems everyone has a strong opinion on one side or the other, but I'm on the fence. 

On one hand, drafting a speculative QB with a 1st round pick while our SB window is wide open is rough. We have holes on defense that need to be filled and not much $ to do so in free agency. 

On the other, when Ben retires, or if he gets seriously hurt, you may wish they'd done it. If Rudolph ends up being a solid, starting caliber NFL QB (and I believe it's possible, see detailed breakdown earlier in this thread,) people are going to need to acknowledge that they advocated looking elsewhere when we're staring down the barrel of Landry Jones as our long-term QB. 

I understand both sides of the 1st round QB debate. Seems everyone has a strong opinion on one side or the other, but I'm on the fence. 

On one hand, drafting a speculative QB with a 1st round pick while our SB window is wide open is rough. We have holes on defense that need to be filled and not much $ to do so in free agency. 

On the other, when Ben retires, or if he gets seriously hurt, you may wish they'd done it. If Rudolph ends up being a solid, starting caliber NFL QB (and I believe it's possible, see detailed breakdown earlier in this thread,) people are going to need to acknowledge that they advocated looking elsewhere when we're staring down the barrel of Landry Jones as our long-term QB. 
To me it depends on how long Ben plans on playing and how long the Steelers think this window is going to be open.   

I'll happily take a few years of Landry Jones or Joshua Dobbs or Bubby Brister II if it means we get a legitimate shot at another Super Bowl or two or three. I think drafting a QB in the first is just too cute by half. They have to go all in while that window is open IMO.

Ben was great in the second half of the year as well with a 103.6 rating and he turned 36 last week. Gotta think he has at least two more years left.
All you say is true and I understand and respect that take. 

On the other hand, having no QB succession plan in place scares me. I remember the years between Bradshaw and Roethlisberger all too clearly. I've become accustomed to going into every season feeling like there's at least a chance of going to the Super Bowl. I do not want to go back. 

We likely could have but apparently the Steelers don't feel Mathieu was worth it.  Heck they didn't even bring him to talk.

The inability to sign Bell to a long term deal really hurts.  They could have easily signed Hyde and Mathieu but that is water under the bridge.

The good news, if you want to call it that, is that we won't have this problem next season cause Bell won't be coming back. And without Bell and Shaziers contracts, they will have more than 22 million to play with

PFF has Bostic as the #12 run stopping LB of 2017.
I think bananafish said it best: better than nothing.     My concern is his injury history.   You would like to say the Steelers checked that out before signing him but ever since the Ladarius Green incident I don't have a lot of faith in that.

Probably not but if they could sign him to the minimum I would still like to see it.  The can use the depth, especially given Bostic's track record.
I'm ready for the Steelers to just move on. I don't mind the Bostic signing which seems like a value move and the length of the deal gives me hope that they think Shazier might play again in the future. Could also just be that they plan to draft an ILB and cut Bostic in 2019, we'll see. It'd be nice for them to have a senior LB presence, but I think Timmons is more of a liability than an asset at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires.

I'm ready for the Steelers to just move on. I don't mind the Bostic signing which seems like a value move and the length of the deal gives me hope that they think Shazier might play again in the future. Could also just be that they plan to draft an ILB and cut Bostic in 2019, we'll see. It'd be nice for them to have a senior LB presence, but I think Timmons is more of a liability than an asset at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires.
My understanding is that Bostic's deal is for 2 years.  My guess is that Bostic insisted on at least a 2-year deal so the Steelers cannot release him before week 1 without paying him.  This was his way of getting at least a 1 year guarantee.  I don't think it has anything at all to do with Shazier and I doubt the Steelers have any hope that he will recover enough to play ever play in the NFL.

Timmons is only 31, knows the system and played pretty well for the Steelers in 2016.   I am hoping his return would be like James Harrison when he flopped in Cincinnati but came back and was productive for the Steelers.    I don't want Timmons starting but this team needs all of the depth at linebacker they can get.

My understanding is that Bostic's deal is for 2 years.  My guess is that Bostic insisted on at least a 2-year deal so the Steelers cannot release him before week 1 without paying him.  This was his way of getting at least a 1 year guarantee.  I don't think it has anything at all to do with Shazier and I doubt the Steelers have any hope that he will recover enough to play ever play in the NFL.

Timmons is only 31, knows the system and played pretty well for the Steelers in 2016.   I am hoping his return would be like James Harrison when he flopped in Cincinnati but came back and was productive for the Steelers.    I don't want Timmons starting but this team needs all of the depth at linebacker they can get.
Totally agree with the Harrison/Timmons take.  Is Bostic an upgrade over a guy who knows the system?

Bostic results from the 2013 combine

HGT   WGT  ARMS  40 TIME  10 TIME   BENCH    VERT    JUMP    20 S    60 S      3 CONE

6007   245     33          4.61         1.58           22         32.5    9’10”     4.24     DNP       6.99  

From Pro Football reference -

He has only missed 20 tackles out of 2365 snaps.   

He will be 27 in May.   He is a solid player, can and has called the defensive signals, and end Sean Spence's second stint with the Steelers which is a good thing.

Godsbrother said:
Probably not but if they could sign him to the minimum I would still like to see it.  The can use the depth, especially given Bostic's track record.
Saw a mock with them taking Vander Esch in the first, I’d be cool with that.

I've read that injuries really hurt his game last year and there is concern he might be slowing down a bit but he's only 29.   He's versatile and was called the Packers "quarterback of the defense" .  Sounds like he's got to be an upgrade to Mike Mitchell, right? 

Users who are viewing this thread