What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (4 Viewers)

Saints game was pretty much what I expected, and a microcosm of their season to date.  Toss in a few sprinkles of refball that gifted NO at least one score, and you wind up with what they got.

I doubt heavily that they make the playoffs at all, but if they somehow do they're likely not getting past round 2 (if that).

When they create the Mike Tomlin building in Pittsburgh, the first ####### thing shown should be that fake punt attempt late in the game.  That was the ultimate Tomlin move and it killed them.  Can blame the game on the refs all you want but the turnover and the awful fake punt was the deciding factor

Reality is that the Ravens deserve the playoffs more than the Steelers.   They won the games they had to for a good month or two and Steelers half assed it against the Raiders.  

Tomlin needs to go. To many times over the last 12 years the Steelers have lost to teams with less talent. To many times they've had the ball with a late lead with a chance to put the game away with one drive and haven't. To many times they've given up leads late even though Tomlin is a defensive minded coach and the Steelers have burned up early draft picks on defense. And don't give me the 2 Super Bowl appearances. They got lucky the year the Jets beat the Patriots and they beat a 9-7 team in the other that they gave up a 2 score lead to. And I believe thats the year they beat the Ravens with a rookie playing QB and they need a late Troy P. int to win that game.    

Tomlin needs to go. To many times over the last 12 years the Steelers have lost to teams with less talent. To many times they've had the ball with a late lead with a chance to put the game away with one drive and haven't. To many times they've given up leads late even though Tomlin is a defensive minded coach and the Steelers have burned up early draft picks on defense. And don't give me the 2 Super Bowl appearances. They got lucky the year the Jets beat the Patriots and they beat a 9-7 team in the other that they gave up a 2 score lead to. And I believe thats the year they beat the Ravens with a rookie playing QB and they need a late Troy P. int to win that game.    
:lmao:   If you want Tomlin to go you can make some valid arguments - diminishing the SB win is crazy  :lmao:  

Losing Shazier is still a big void
It sure is, but they really haven't attempted to adapt much either which is as big of a problem in my book.  You don't just slug in some dude and have them replace a Shazier, we all understand that, you're going to have to adjust the scheme.  I don't think the Steelers did anywhere near good enough in that regard. 

Vince Williams is a good football player, but he isn't Shazier.   Yet he's been called upon consistently all year to take away that middle zone as if he were, and it has repeatedly been abuses by their opponents.   "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result"....blah, blah, blah.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fake punt call was terrible.  Second worst call of the game.   The 3rd down run where Ridley fumbled was easily the worst.

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.  That was an atrocious call.  He was cold, the saints run D is and was playing stout, and you put your team in a position to fail.  Call a safe pass play or run Samuel’s.  Ridley had almost no chance of success.

Against that team we were in Bens hands for better or worse and we were clearly winning that battle.  We got the lead and switched our MO and played right into their hands.

Inexcusable.

We have Super Bowl talent although Ben might be fading and it takes a lot to replace that position.

The big play calls and challenges are terrible.  That’s a HC thing

I can't wait for Ben to retire so we can go 0-16 under Tomlin.  Then after a couple more 0-16 seasons the Steelers  might wise up and Fire Tomlin.  I doubt it.  God he sucks so bad.

I think people are blowing this loss out of proportion. It could def cost us a playoff berth, but it's almost impossible to go into New Orleans and beat the Saints, and we almost won playing against 2 teams at the same time. The Saints and the Zebras. 

That Ridley fumble was terrible (why was he in there instead of Samuels?!) and the Juju fumble ended the game, but in my opinion the thing that cost us the game was the Refs. They gave New Orleans 1st and Goal on a bull**it call instead of a turnover on downs. 7 points obviously made a huge difference in the game. 

I still can't believe that Colbert and the Rooneys haven't forced Tomlin to have a challenge guy in the booth. I thought that there was definitely a fumble when they called it incomplete and that we should have fought that. 

Also, I don't hate the fake punt call, but I wish it had been a pass. I just didn't see any chance for a run to succeed on 4th and 5.

That said, I don't think we're dead. The Browns are a talented team and I think that they have a 50/50 shot of upsetting the Ravens at home. Lamar will be facing the biggest pressure of his career, and the Browns love to play spoiler. We need to beat Cincy no matter what, so hopefully the team can just focus on that on Sunday and not screw that up. I might tear out all my hair if the Browns beat (or tie) the Ravens, but we lose to the Bengals...

It’s compounding. Sure, you could say the Saints wasn’t a sure thing win and was never anticipated to be but that’s the level of talent this team has is to walk into NO and actually play better than them. What does that say about the coaching when they have losses to Denver, Oakland and a tie with a Hue Jackson/Tyrod Taylor lead Cleveland squad. Tomlin... well, Tomlin deserves kudos for the multiple Super Bowls and transitioning from Cowher smoothly. He doesn’t deserve to be sent out on a rail but it’s time. Call it what you want. Maybe it’s Reid in Philly or Dungy in Indy or Gruden in TB, it doesn’t matter. He’s burned it out with his players, the team does not know how to finish and Ben gets full reign over the offense for good and bad just like his play. 

but in my opinion the thing that cost us the game was the Refs.
I hate blaming officials.  Many of the calls went against the Steelers yesterday for sure but the Steelers had an opportunity to overcome those calls and didn't do it.  This loss is magnified because it drops them into the 8th seed right now and likely out of the playoffs.  But that's what happens when you don't beat CLE in week #1, lose to DEN and OAK, lose a huge 2nd half lead at home against LAC, etc., etc., etc.

Remind me, which one of these things did the refs do: 1. Turn it over 6x vs. the Browns 2. Get bullied at home by the Ravens 3. Blow 2H leads 4x in 5 weeks 4. Miss 12 kicks 5. Have a minus-10 turnover differential.
Will Graves, AP
Yeah, he's got a point. We should never have been in this situation that we needed wins at the end of the year. 

How does a team with Lamar Jackson at qb make the playoffs. 
Because they actually have a real coach.  Something i would never call Tomlin.   Even with inferior talent Harbaugh can still win.  Tomlin can't even win with superior talent.  The only position the Ravens have better talent is K and debateable ilb.  Man Tomlin sucks so bad.  Front office wake the f up.

The fake punt call was terrible.  Second worst call of the game.   The 3rd down run where Ridley fumbled was easily the worst.

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen.  That was an atrocious call.  He was cold, the saints run D is and was playing stout, and you put your team in a position to fail.  Call a safe pass play or run Samuel’s.  Ridley had almost no chance of success.

Against that team we were in Bens hands for better or worse and we were clearly winning that battle.  We got the lead and switched our MO and played right into their hands.

Inexcusable.

We have Super Bowl talent although Ben might be fading and it takes a lot to replace that position.

The big play calls and challenges are terrible.  That’s a HC thing
your 3rd sentence-right on.  Thought Ben & the Steelers played good gutsy football.  N.O. is a great team this year.  Just a great game to watch.

bucksoh said:
Because they actually have a real coach.  Something i would never call Tomlin.   Even with inferior talent Harbaugh can still win.  Tomlin can't even win with superior talent.  The only position the Ravens have better talent is K and debateable ilb.  Man Tomlin sucks so bad.  Front office wake the f up.
How much say would Tomlin have in the whole Leveon Bell contract talks?  Or would that be completely up to the GM and owner?

That said, I don't think we're dead. The Browns are a talented team and I think that they have a 50/50 shot of upsetting the Ravens at home. Lamar will be facing the biggest pressure of his career, and the Browns love to play spoiler.
Good point. Browns are serving notice that the two extra bye weeks the Steelers and Ravens have enjoyed in recent seasons are a thing of the past. Browns playing to finish with a winning record on Sunday... they're gonna bring it.

I’d give the Browns a 40% chance to win and the Steelers an 80% chance to beat Cincy. That means almost one in three we get in the postseason. So there’s a chance...

I would say he had a big say or he could have had a big say in it and once again Tomlin f up!
Yeah I kinda disagree with this.  Tomlin has a lot to do with the acquiring the players but I bet he has almost nothing to do with the  contract talks.   You can rip Tomlin for a lot of things but blaming him for how the Rooney's do their business from the financial end is laughable.

Yeah I kinda disagree with this.  Tomlin has a lot to do with the acquiring the players but I bet he has almost nothing to do with the  contract talks.   You can rip Tomlin for a lot of things but blaming him for how the Rooney's do their business from the financial end is laughable.
:goodposting:

Anybody want to start talking about the draft yet?  

I can't believe that I'm making a 525 mile round trip to see the Steelers get eliminated on the Jumbotron.  But, since I prepaid the hotel and nobody wants to buy my tickets, it is what it is.

At least I'll have a good dinner at the Carlton on Saturday night.

I SO wish that the Steelers would fire the ###-clown head coach.  I'd turn in my season tickets in protest, but the thousands of fans who turned them in after the Super Bowl run in the 70's probably regret that now.  Or their kids do.  Either way.  But frustration doesn't even begin to describe my feelings.

I'm going to show up Sunday in my Browns jersey (No, I'm not a fan - the name is "OWEN" and the number is 16 - you figure it out) . I did wear it to the opener in Cleveland to troll the fans there, and then again when we played them here.  It will be a long time before they're that bad again, so I don't know  how many more times I can pull it out.  Might as well get as much use out of it as I can. 

Thinking just maybe that the Browns beat the Rats and Tomlin somehow screws it up and loses to the Bungles.

apalmer said:
I'm thinking I should go visit the new sports book at the Rivers and put some money on the Ravens. That should be enough to get the Browns a win.
Yup if I make a significant bet on the Ravens money line, that should do the trick.

Godsbrother said:
I'll just have to disagree with you and Tomlin's input in acquiring players.  Rooneys are hands off owners as there is.  To say otherwise is something I have never heard.

I'll just have to disagree with you and Tomlin's input in acquiring players.  Rooneys are hands off owners as there is.  To say otherwise is something I have never heard.
Omar Khan is the guy that negotiates contracts for the Steelers but it is the Rooney's money.  If you want someone to blame for LeVeon Bell not being on the team start there (and Bell himself).   

This team is a ####### joke. Keith Butler just said Tyler Eifert will be hard to cover this weekend... what the ####### ####?! Fire his ### now.

This staff needs to be cleared out. They are on auto pilot and rely purely on the superior talent Colbert has been able to accrue. 

This team is a ####### joke. Keith Butler just said Tyler Eifert will be hard to cover this weekend... what the ####### ####?! Fire his ### now.
Did he seriously say that?! Just typical, no wonder they never know who to cover. The def coordinator doesn't know who is playing, geez.

How much say would Tomlin have in the whole Leveon Bell contract talks?  Or would that be completely up to the GM and owner?
Le'Veon Bell's salary demands were/are completely out of line. HE may not think so, and his FANTASY OWNER'S may not think so, but sinking that kind of money into a RB is a good way to sink your franchise.

I doubt Tomlin had a role in Bell's situation, but if he did... congrats on being the voice of reason.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 11h

#Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told reporters that WR Antonio Brown, who didn’t practice, is having tests done on his knee. He’s questionable for Sunday in a huge game.

Given how the linebackers play on the pass, he isn't wrong  :kicksrock:

Everyone is thinking about the Ravens game but this is definitely the kind of game the Steelers lose.  A team with a QB nobody has ever hurt of playing for nothing against a Steelers team that has to win just to have a shot.   I mean is the Cincy QB that awful that we can ignore that it took a last minute TD to win the last time 

Users who are viewing this thread