Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Evilgrin 72

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Just now, JoeSteeler said:

he has Harmon at 93 which seems very late to me

Some people don't like him that much, if we could grab another defender at 66 and then grab Harmon at 83 I'd be very happy with that. I think there's a reason that Boykin wasn't really talked about prior to the combine and it's because he wasn't a great football player, just a great athlete. The Steelers could use more great football players. 

I think that the Steelers move around in the early rounds of this draft and below are a couple trades I wouldn't mind seeing, depending on how the draft is shaking out. 

• If both Devins are gone by 20 but some combo of the 3 top CBs, Noah Fant, some top WRs, and some great DL are still there, I think that trading back should be an option the team investigates.
    • GB trades up from 30 to 20 to grab Noah Fant - GB gives Picks 30 and 44, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 175 - This would allow us to still grab a similar caliber player at 30 that we could have taken at 20 (imo) and grab a much better player at 44 than we would have gotten at 83.  Instead of something like Byron Murphy and JJ Arcega-Whiteside , we could grab maybe DeAndre Baker and AJ Brown. 
    • Oakland Trades up from 27 to 20 to grab Dwayne Haskins after a surprising fall - Raiders give Picks 27 and 35, Steelers give Picks 20 and 52 - Using the draft trade chart, this matches up perfectly. If Oakland doesn't take a QB with pick 4, and a QB surprisingly falls to 20, I could see them moving up. And falling from pick 20 to 27 keeps the Steelers in the same tier, while rising from 52 to 35 jumps a tier or two. I'd love this trade if the top ILBs are gone at 20. 
  • If a Devin makes it past pick 14, I could see the Steelers trying to move up. I think that the Giants would take the remaining Devin if there was one available, so the only two options I see as realistic are the Skins or Panthers. 
    • Redskins trade down - Skins give Pick 15, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 141 - The Skins have a lot of draft needs, and one is WR. No WR in this class is worth the 15th pick, but pick 20 is much better value and they pick up 2 later picks to help fill other holes on the team. 
    • Carolina trades down - Panthers give Pick 16, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, and 175 - This would depend purely on who the Panthers like, and if they think it's worth it to drop 4 picks. 

The Steelers would gain value by moving down in the 1st if both top ILBs are gone, but lots of teams try to trade down during the draft and can't find a trade partner. I'm not sure we'll be able to make it happen, but I'd be a bit disappointed if we stayed at 20 if there are multiple players within the same tier available there. If one of the Devins falls to pick 16 and the Steelers don't make a move, I'd be a little surprised. That said, right now, I don't think the Devins last past pick 12. 

21 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

I think that the Steelers move around in the early rounds of this draft and below are a couple trades I wouldn't mind seeing, depending on how the draft is shaking out. 

• If both Devins are gone by 20 but some combo of the 3 top CBs, Noah Fant, some top WRs, and some great DL are still there, I think that trading back should be an option the team investigates.
    • GB trades up from 30 to 20 to grab Noah Fant - GB gives Picks 30 and 44, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 175 - This would allow us to still grab a similar caliber player at 30 that we could have taken at 20 (imo) and grab a much better player at 44 than we would have gotten at 83.  Instead of something like Byron Murphy and JJ Arcega-Whiteside , we could grab maybe DeAndre Baker and AJ Brown. 
    • Oakland Trades up from 27 to 20 to grab Dwayne Haskins after a surprising fall - Raiders give Picks 27 and 35, Steelers give Picks 20 and 52 - Using the draft trade chart, this matches up perfectly. If Oakland doesn't take a QB with pick 4, and a QB surprisingly falls to 20, I could see them moving up. And falling from pick 20 to 27 keeps the Steelers in the same tier, while rising from 52 to 35 jumps a tier or two. I'd love this trade if the top ILBs are gone at 20. 
  • If a Devin makes it past pick 14, I could see the Steelers trying to move up. I think that the Giants would take the remaining Devin if there was one available, so the only two options I see as realistic are the Skins or Panthers. 
    • Redskins trade down - Skins give Pick 15, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, 141 - The Skins have a lot of draft needs, and one is WR. No WR in this class is worth the 15th pick, but pick 20 is much better value and they pick up 2 later picks to help fill other holes on the team. 
    • Carolina trades down - Panthers give Pick 16, Steelers give Picks 20, 83, and 175 - This would depend purely on who the Panthers like, and if they think it's worth it to drop 4 picks. 

The Steelers would gain value by moving down in the 1st if both top ILBs are gone, but lots of teams try to trade down during the draft and can't find a trade partner. I'm not sure we'll be able to make it happen, but I'd be a bit disappointed if we stayed at 20 if there are multiple players within the same tier available there. If one of the Devins falls to pick 16 and the Steelers don't make a move, I'd be a little surprised. That said, right now, I don't think the Devins last past pick 12. 

I like it. Any way to get another late pick back as well when moving up to 15-16?

48 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I like it. Any way to get another late pick back as well when moving up to 15-16?

Maybe a 7th, but it's close with the trade chart.

While I think the Steelers would love to grab one of the Devins I think they stand pat at 20 and let the draft come to them.   I know, not going out on a limb with this prediction but I think they are cool with grabbing one of CBs or Burns if they can't get ILB at 20.

1 hour ago, Godsbrother said:

While I think the Steelers would love to grab one of the Devins I think they stand pat at 20 and let the draft come to them.   I know, not going out on a limb with this prediction but I think they are cool with grabbing one of CBs or Burns if they can't get ILB at 20.

I think that if they have him rated similarly to where they had Shazier, they would move into top 15, but not 10. 

• Like 1

I really wish that the Steelers would trade back if there are 5+ players they like at 20, but we haven't traded back since Casey Hampton, I doubt we do it this year.

I think the following scenarios are most likely to happen:

• 50% - Stay at 20 and take BPA on their board (a 1st round CB, EDGE, DL, TE, or WR)
  • 20% - Trade up to picks 14-16 for an ILB
  • 10% - Trade up to picks 10-13 for an ILB
  • 10% - Trade back
  • 5% - Stay at 20 and take a player with a 3rd round grade... again
  • 5% - Something completely crazy, like trading up for an OT

5 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

It looks like the whole team showed up to voluntary workouts this week. 

Terrible leadership and locker room, clearly.

• Like 2

Because AB is so talented/productive on the field it's difficult to image losing him as addition by subtraction - at first.  This has the potential to be a big FU season for the Steelers and Ben, and as others have said I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Steelers supposedly opening 2019 on the road against New England on Sunday Night Football.

22 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Steelers supposedly opening 2019 on the road against New England on Sunday Night Football.

Get them out of the way early and make a statement. 

39 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Followed by a game in San Fran in week 3. Sounds like it might be a tough start to the season. I kind of hope our other west coast game is week 4, just to get it out of the way, and having 3 of our 8 road games in the first 4 weeks would set up for a nice back half of the season. 

9 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

5 of last 7 on the road?!

Yeah that is brutal.  The Steelers better get off to a fast start

A fast start?  Against New England, Seattle and San Fran?  The first and the last on the road.

They need a strong middle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Idiot Boxer said:

A fast start?  Against New England, Seattle and San Fran?  The first and the last on the road.

They need a strong middle.

Seattle is 1:00 start at home -- I like our chances.   The 49ers were 4-12 last season.

18 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Seattle is 1:00 start at home -- I like our chances.   The 49ers were 4-12 last season.

Did Jimmy Garrapalo play last year?

• Laughing 1

Though I agree.  Steelers could start 0-3 or 3-0 next year and I wouldn't be too surprised with either.

• Like 1

They had a fast start last year.

1 minute ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Did Jimmy Garrapalo play last year?

Not much but I don't consider him to be an elite QB.  He may turn out to be someday but he has to prove it.

1 minute ago, Bojang0301 said:

They had a fast start last year.

1-2-1 is a fast start?

2 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

1-2-1 is a fast start?

Cherry picking. 7-2-1 from there only to blow that in the second half.

Posted (edited)

Of course we were 5-3 at home and 4-3-1 on the road last year, so I'm not sure that's a big factor either.

Edited by Idiot Boxer

Just now, Bojang0301 said:

Cherry picking. 7-2-1 from there only to blow that in the second half.

Not cherry picking at all.  We are talking about the start of the season, not mid-season.      Winning 1 out of the first 4 games is not getting off to a fast start by any definition.   Had they won one of those games they would have made the playoffs. 

Go back and look at the 2018 Steelers thread and see what the reactions were after 4 games.   Most everyone had written them off.

The Steelers' realistic range of outcomes for this season is 8-8 to 14-2, but I think most likely outcome is 10-6. 

The 6 losses are as follows:

• Lose to Pats Week 1 - Foxborough is so tough, and they'll be riding the SB high. I don't like our chances.
  • Split with the Browns and the Ravens - I think we take 2 losses from our division rivals, probably on the road.
  • Lose 1 West Coast Game - Either 49ers or Chargers, we don't travel well across the country so I think we lose at least 1 game on the far coast. 
  • Lose 1 game to a talented team at home - Colts, Rams, Seahawks, I think one of them takes us down.
  • Lose 1 game to a "bad" team - Cards, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, I think 1 of them beats us while the Steelers are huge favorites to win. 

The team is very talented this year, and I think that if we can find some early contributors from the draft, then they could be set up for success, but they haven't played to their full potential in recent years so I think it's going to be another up and down season of high expectations and disappointment. If the Steelers play to their full potential, which possibly happens after removing some distractions, they can beat anyone. But I still think at the very least they lose one to a team in the division and one to Pats/Chargers/Seahawks/Rams/Colts. I can't see 0-1 losses happening. 

Just saw a mock where the Steelers trade up to 14, and draft Byron Murphy (while Devin Bush is sitting there, he falls to 22 for the Ravens). If this happened, I think Steelers' Nation would absolutely lose its mind. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Just saw a mock where the Steelers trade up to 14, and draft Byron Murphy (while Devin Bush is sitting there, he falls to 22 for the Ravens). If this happened, I think Steelers' Nation would absolutely lose its mind. 

I wouldn't like moving up to 14 to draft a CB at all

• Like 2

arent the falcons 14?  all the talk is of them moving up not down

not sure theyve ever moved down in the first

they havent:

Since Thomas Dimitroff took over as general manager in 2008, the Falcons have never dropped back in the first round to acquire more picks. However, they have moved up in the first round or acquired a second first-rounder five times over the last 11 years. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Several places showing TE. That would be brutal I think. 

No way should they even think TE with 1st round pick.

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

We need Cinci to take a QB and then we can trade up in a reasonable deal for a Devin. 

I think both Devins will be gone and I think Steelers have too many needs to trade away picks & move up.

I am not opposed to Fant. The CB class is deep and there's a big drop-off after the top 2 linebackers. Fant will essentially be another receiving weapon for Ben.

I think there is an outside chance that Devin White makes it to Detroit at #8.  If that is the case then I wouldn't be opposed to packaging up the #1, #2, and #4 to move up and land him since he is considered a near can't-miss pick.   I'd like to hold on to those two #3s though.   I think Devin Bush is going to drop to us so I definitely would not trade up more than a few spots to secure him.   If you can't work a deal then just stand pat and take Burns or one of the CBs.  

The Steelers needs at OLB and CB are just as great s he will be long gone by 20.   

1 hour ago, Franknbeans said:

I am not opposed to Fant. The CB class is deep and there's a big drop-off after the top 2 linebackers. Fant will essentially be another receiving weapon for Ben.

I would take either Iowa TE at 20 and be very happy about it...assuming both Devins are gone.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, irish eyes said:

No way should they even think TE with 1st round pick.

If both Devins are gone...who would you want? I am not sold on any of the top 3 CB At all (at 20)

Edited by JoeSteeler

Devins

Burns 

Ferrell

Murphy

Baker

All before any TE, for sure.  

Probably Williams too, though I keep seeing him sliding.

You would not hear one single ##### from me if they got Fant or Hockenson. Especially now knowing the Steelers have no desire to overwork their 1st round pick. I guess it’s been evident in the past but Colbert clarifying it means we should stop looking for massive impacts from rookie classes. 

• Like 1

Ideal draft for me right now is trading our 2nd 3rd round pick to move up a couple spots and grab Devin Bush, then landing Greedy Williams in the 2nd because he falls a ridiculous amount, getting Kelvin Harmon in the beginning of the 3rd, and grabbing a Safety, DL, Edge, and 2nd ILB later in the draft.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, steelers1080 said:

Ideal draft for me right now is trading our 2nd 3rd round pick to move up a couple spots and grab Devin Bush, then landing Greedy Williams in the 2nd because he falls a ridiculous amount, getting Kelvin Harmon in the beginning of the 3rd, and grabbing a Safety, DL, Edge, and 2nd ILB later in the draft.

Love it - except need a TE at some point. Prob in the 4th in this scenario

Edited by JoeSteeler

1 hour ago, Idiot Boxer said:

Devins

Burns 

Ferrell

Murphy

Baker

All before any TE, for sure.  

Probably Williams too, though I keep seeing him sliding.

Devins and Ferrell - yes of course. The others - meh. Good CB can be had at 52. Burns i am not sold on.

19 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Trade for Robbie Gould?

and Patrick Peterson???

2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

and Patrick Peterson???

Peterson apparently removed all mention of cards from his social media. Gould wants out of  san fran and closer to chicago. 

12 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Peterson apparently removed all mention of cards from his social media. Gould wants out of  san fran and closer to chicago. 

Penn State grad.....