What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

read on a Steelers message board (take with a huge grain of salt) Mel Kiper called him the best route runner in the draft
Louis Riddick also called him the best route runner of the draft.

He was a sleeper of mine coming into the draft because someone I listen to a little bit, someone whose forte is WR's, had him as their #2 WR entering the draft. 

Not familiar with him,

15. ZACH GENTRY | Michigan 6081 | 265 lbs. | rJR. Albuquerque, N.M. (Eldorado) 9/10/1996 (age 22.64) #83

BACKGROUND: A four-star quarterback recruit out of high school, Zachary “Zach” Gentry was a three-year starting quarterback at Eldorado and was considered one of the best prep basketball players in the state, earning Second Team All-State honors as a junior (focused on football his senior year). He finished his high school career with 3,734 passing yards and 27 touchdowns, adding 1,013 rushing yards and 26 scores on the ground. Gentry was the No. 8 quarterback recruit in the country (and top player in the state) and received scholarship offers from several top programs like Alabama. He initially committed to Texas before flipping to Michigan as the first quarterback Jim Harbaugh recruited to Ann Arbor. Gentry was asked to practice at tight end during his redshirt season and made the permanent transition during the 2016 season. His older brother (Sam) preceded him as Eldorado’s starting quarterback and played collegiately at New Mexico; his grandfather (Bill) is a legendary high school coach in New Mexico, becoming the fifth coach from the state to be inducted into the National High School Hall of Fame with 305 wins over his 38-year coaching career. Gentry elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2019 NFL Draft.

YEAR (GP/GS) REC YDS AVG TD NOTES
2015: Redshirted QB/TE
2016: (7/0) 0 0 0.0 0 TE
2017: (13/11) 17 303 17.8 2 TE
2018: (13/13) 32 514 16.1 2 TE; Third Team All-Big Ten
Total: (33/24) 49 817 16.7 4
HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 6081 265 34 1/8 09 1/2 80 1/8 4.90 2.86 1.74 29 1/2 09’02” 4.53 7.40 12
PRO DAY 4.75 2.73 1.71 - - - 7.20 14 (stood on Combine jumps and shuttle)

STRENGTHS: Large target and worked hard to transform his body…soft, natural hands…loose upper body to extend his long arms, adjust and stab…rolls off the line of scrimmage with smooth acceleration into his routes…runs well for the position to threaten the seam…led the team with 11.2 yards per target…doesn’t play stiff at the top of routes, redirecting well out of his breaks…showed steady improvement as a blocker, using lower body bend and length to drive block.
WEAKNESSES: Needs to continue to add bulk…unseasoned route runner and lacks burst in his start/stop movements…doesn’t break tackles in one-on-one situations…not a YAC threat right now…too easily bullied by defensive ends with his tall, narrow base…inconsistent body angles as a blocker…needs to do a better job breaking down in space to engage defenders at the second level or on outside screens…not a proven touchdown producer or red zone threat (of his four career touchdown catches, only two came in the red zone).

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Michigan, Gentry lined up inline and detached in the Wolverines’ pro-style scheme. He was the first quarterback Harbaugh recruited to Michigan and despite never playing another position, the coaches convinced Gentry (after numerous meetings) that the move to tight end would “pay off” in the long run (Michigan TE coach Sherrone Moore: “I think he can be a Pro Bowl NFL player one day if he stays committed to it, which I know he will”). As a pass catcher, he plays like more of a tight end than former life-long quarterback, but he doesn’t play up to his size as a ball carrier or blocker. Overall, Gentry has several tight end foundation traits with his workable frame, natural athleticism and reliable ball skills, but he is underdeveloped as a blocker, route runner and after-the-catch threat, requiring patience while he continues his tight end maturation.
GRADE: 6th-7th Round

Louis Riddick also called him the best route runner of the draft.

He was a sleeper of mine coming into the draft because someone I listen to a little bit, someone whose forte is WR's, had him as their #2 WR entering the draft. 
they get a young Emanuel Sanders again.

ach Gentry is a seam-buster Tight End prospect who has attractive size and mobility to be considered a receiving asset at the next level. His height will serve as a natural barrier to playing with necessary functional strength, but when Gentry is placed into space and allowed to work vertically he does strong work against linebackers and safeties. Gentry may never be a featured full-time TE but his skills have a place at the next level as a receiving threat.

I really wish we'd move up for Harmon but I just don't see it happening at this point. I think they might take David Long or David Sills in the 6th, and I'd be a bit surprised if we don't add Edge or DL, and an O-lineman with one of our 4 remaining picks. 

Almost wanted them to double dip at LB with Wilson over the TE.  It's round 5, but Gentry just looks like a big body guy that probably doesn't pan out that the Steelers have lloved grabbing over the years;  the Matts (Spaeth and Kranchik), et al.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has to be some massive red flag on Kelvin Harmon.
Something, based on his twitter account it doesn't seem like he knows what's going on. 

Knew we'd get Buggs, could develop I think into a solid guy. Not sure about Sutton, but he has great tape. His score from NFL was 36/100...

They did hit all of their need spots. It just remains to be seen if they picked the right guys at those spots.  Still don’t know what caused Harmon to drop and wish we’d taken a flier on him.  They must feel pretty confident in Washington to only grab a slot guy.  

PFF Gives Steelers "above average" grade

PITTSBURGH STEELERS

Round 1 (10): LB Devin Bush, Michigan

Round 2 (66): WR Diontae Johnson, Toledo

Round 3 (83): CB Justin Layne, Michigan State

Round 4 (122): RB Benny Snell, Kentucky

Round 5 (141): TE Zach Gentry, Michigan

Round 6 (175): Edge Sutton Smith, Northern Illinois

Round 6 (192): DL Isaiah Buggs, Alabama

Round 6 (192): LB Ulysees Gilbert, Akron

Round 7 (219): OT Derwin Gray, Maryland

Day 1: 

The Steelers had to give up picks Nos. 20 and 52 in the 2019 NFL Draft and a third-rounder in the 2020 NFL Draft to get him, but former Michigan off-ball linebacker Devin Bush has a very good chance to be worth the extra draft capital if he can bring his play in Ann Arbor to Pittsburgh. He is a freakishly athletic linebacker with outstanding coverage and pass-rushing ability compared to his peers in this year’s class. He’s also a tone-setter on the defensive side of the ball who craves contact and knows how to lay the boom. He also earned 90.2 and 85.0 overall grades in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

“I think Bush is perfect for what the Steelers want from the linebacker position.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Day 2:

A favorite of practically everyone at the PFF offices, Toledo wide receiver Diontae Johnson is a superb route runner that will be a nightmare for opposing defensive backs to match and mirror at the next level. Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner says it best in that “Johnson just moves differently.” Production fell off a bit for Johnson when AAF superstar Logan Woodside left Toledo after the 2017 season, but Big Ben should help DJ return to form in Pittsburgh.

Michigan State cornerback Justin Layne’s 89.5 coverage grade last year was ninth-best among Power-5 corners in the nation. Pegged as PFF’s No. 39 overall player in the class, Layne is quite the steal for the Steelers at pick No. 83.

Day 3:

Likely too small to play edge defender at the next level, the 6-foot, 233-pound Sutton Smith should make the transition to off-ball linebacker and bring pass-rush upside in the NFL. He recorded 65 total pressures as an edge defender with Northern Illinois in 2018, good for the second-most pressures in the FBS. He finished the pre-draft process ranked 199th in the class.

After earning a 78.0 overall grade and an 89.2 run-defense grade in 2017, Alabama’s Isaiah Buggs regressed in a larger role in 2018. Predominantly playing edge defender, he earned a 71.6 overall grade and a 74.7 run-defense grade across 747 defensive snaps this past season.

DRAFT GRADE: ABOVE AVERAGE

What are the FA signings?
Dravon Askew-Henry, S, West Virginia
Ian Berryman, P, Western Carolina
Garrett Brumfield, G, LSU
Jay Hayes, DE, Georgia
Fred Johnson, G, Florida
Travon McMillan, RB, Colorado
Alexander Myres, CB, Houston
Chris Nelson, DT, Texas
Trevor Wood, TE/LS, Texas A&M
Matthew Wright, K, Central Florida

Jay Hayes, DL Georgia

Some if these grades apparently take into account the poor return for AB though. Which is dumb. 

So what is your projected 53 now?

Last edited by a moderator:
1.       Ben

2.       Dobbs

3.       Rudolph

4.       Connor

5.       Samuels

6.       Snell

7.       Nix

8.       JuJu

9.       Moncrief

10.   Washington

11.   Johnson

12.   Rogers

13.   Switz

14.   Pouncey

15.   Decastro

16.   Foster

17.   Villa

18.   Feiler

19.   Chuks

20.   Finney

21.   Hawkins

22.   Gray

23.   Vance

24.   X

25.   Gentry

26.   Cam

27.   Hargrave

28.   Tuitt

29.   Tyson

30.   McCullers

31.   Buggs

32.   Bush

33.   Williams

34.   Barron

35.   TJ

36.   Bud

37.   Chick

38.   Ola

39.   Sutton

40.   Ulysses

41.   Matakevich

42.   Haden

43.   Nelson

44.   Hilton

45.   Layne

46.   Davis

47.   Edmonds

48.   Sutton

49.   Tocho

50.   Marcus Allen

51.   Boswell

52.   Berry

53.   Canaday

Hearing  the Steelers had a first round grade on Diontae Johnson got me thinking about the failed trade with Buffalo for AB. If the trade with Buffalo had gone through, the Steelers would have had 1.9 which would have been Devon Bush. They would still have their 2nd which would probably have been Johnson. They would have had their 2020 3rd (hopefully late) instead of 5.3 this year which turned into Gentry. So if this is how it would have played out, the failed trade with Buffalo really didn't cost them that much. 

Hearing  the Steelers had a first round grade on Diontae Johnson got me thinking about the failed trade with Buffalo for AB. If the trade with Buffalo had gone through, the Steelers would have had 1.9 which would have been Devon Bush. They would still have their 2nd which would probably have been Johnson. They would have had their 2020 3rd (hopefully late) instead of 5.3 this year which turned into Gentry. So if this is how it would have played out, the failed trade with Buffalo really didn't cost them that much. 
They would have still had a pick at 20.  They could have Bush and Noah Fant.

I doubt they use a true RBBC.  I do expect Connor to get more rest in general though and also think that Samuels will line up at TE or an H-Back more often as well, given our TE depth.  

Users who are viewing this thread