What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Royce Freeman, LAR (1 Viewer)

He plodded, though. 

A man can build 1000 bridges, but he ####s one goat, they don’t say, “hey, there goes that bridge builder!”

Blpunt at many times in his career was a plodder. Ergo...
I disagree.  

Big and a really bad receiver added to the plodder perception. But pretty quick feet and could make people miss. 

As someone mentioned earlier, the knucklehead factor put a big dent in his career. Without that and some improvement in his pass catching to the point of not being a total liability, he could have had a 10,000 yard, 90 TD type career.  A modern day John Riggins.  Riggins ran behind a great line most of his career and was a sub 4 YPC for his career.  Lot of volume.  

Back on Freeman, he went 3.6 in our 14 teamer on Sunday, which I thought was high. Guy is a Denver fan though.  As a comparison, I got Kerryon Johnson late 7th. When I passed on him in the 6th, I thought he would be long gone before I picked again.  Early Christmas present I think.  

Back on Freeman, he went 3.6 in our 14 teamer on Sunday, which I thought was high. Guy is a Denver fan though.  As a comparison, I got Kerryon Johnson late 7th. When I passed on him in the 6th, I thought he would be long gone before I picked again.  Early Christmas present I think.  
Good RB in the worst possible situation. RBBC from hell. A coach who’s professed his love for RBBC. Less than ideal. I coulda had him in the 6/7 turn of my PPR draft and passed. He went 7.11

IMO Royce will have a far superior FFB season. 

That said, should the Lions actually give him a chance I think Keryon (my wayward son) is a fine player. A Theo Riddick injury would really help his cause.’

Good RB in the worst possible situation. RBBC from hell. A coach who’s professed his love for RBBC. Less than ideal. I coulda had him in the 6/7 turn of my PPR draft and passed. He went 7.11

IMO Royce will have a far superior FFB season. 

That said, should the Lions actually give him a chance I think Keryon (my wayward son) is a fine player. A Theo Riddick injury would really help his cause.’
Agree that Freeman is in a better situation to start the season, but if, like you say, the Lions actually give him a chance, I think he has a better season than Freeman in that offense. I think a Blount injury would actually help him more than a Riddick injury  

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that Freeman is in a better situation to start the season, but if, like you say, the Lions actually give him a chance, I think he has a better season than Freeman in that offense. I think a Blount injury would actually help him more than a Riddick injury actually.  
Both. 

Maybe if Blount, Abdullah & Riddick we’re out drinking & got into a non-life threatening but season-ending car crash Kenyon would blow up.

that’s a lot of bodies that have to go down for him to find success. And Blount seems to tough out the bumps & bruises. Abdullah not so much. 

Both. 

Maybe if Blount, Abdullah & Riddick we’re out drinking & got into a non-life threatening but season-ending car crash Kenyon would blow up.

that’s a lot of bodies that have to go down for him to find success. And Blount seems to tough out the bumps & bruises. Abdullah not so much. 
Yeah, don’t think Abdullah will get many snaps and I wouldn’t be surprised if they move him before final cuts.  

And yes, Blount is a tough MFer who really loves the game.  Biggest threat to Johnson having an impactful rookie season fantasy wise.  

Both. 

Let’s not advocate drinking and driving. How about they all go to pick up a pizza, and end up breaking their arms?

kerryon, Kerryon, ‘cause nothing really matters.....

He plodded, though. 

A man can build 1000 bridges, but he ####s one goat, they don’t say, “hey, there goes that bridge builder!”

Blpunt at many times in his career was a plodder. Ergo...
:confused:  He had seven seasons with at least 150 carries. He averaged above 4.2 ypc in all but one of them and cracked 5.0 ypc in two of them. In that lone 3.9 ypc season his role was pretty clearly defined as 1st and 2nd down between the tackles runner. He was rarely asked (or allowed... this is BB we're talking about) to bounce plays outside and hurdle guys. About the only time he got the ball on 3rd down was in short yardage. Even at age 31 he averaged 4.4 ypc in Philly. Just please watch these 10 runs and tell me he's a plodder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdjR4r0RM0 (you won't regret watching... he was a very entertaining runner).

I think the problem with the public perception of Blount is that his most prolific fantasy season was the one season where he was strictly playing a plodder's role. That and it was pretty recent. Nobody remembers when he was the only playmaker on a horrific Raheem Morris/Josh Freeman offense. He disappeared from everyone's fantasy radar when Greg Schiano deemed him to be "not a Buccaneer man" and benched him essentially for an entire season. He bounced around on 1-year contracts ever since.

I haven't watched enough Freeman to confirm or deny any similarities to Blount, but as a Freeman owner I'd be quite happy if he was a Blount clone (but without the black sheep label). We should know soon enough, as I think we've all seen enough of Booker to expect Freeman to quickly push him aside. It will be pretty ridiculous if they are splitting snaps evenly beyond week 2.  

So what can we expect from Freeman in the 4th Preseason game? He'll be going against the scrubs, so I'm guessing that maybe they don't test his rushing as much as they work on his pass blocking and maybe some pass catching. Leave him in there on 3rd down to make some blocks and maybe sneak out into coverage and snag a ball or two?

Also, I HATE week 4 of the preseason. This situation might be the only thing to watch from week 4. 

:confused:  He had seven seasons with at least 150 carries. He averaged above 4.2 ypc in all but one of them and cracked 5.0 ypc in two of them. In that lone 3.9 ypc season his role was pretty clearly defined as 1st and 2nd down between the tackles runner. He was rarely asked (or allowed... this is BB we're talking about) to bounce plays outside and hurdle guys. About the only time he got the ball on 3rd down was in short yardage. Even at age 31 he averaged 4.4 ypc in Philly. Just please watch these 10 runs and tell me he's a plodder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdjR4r0RM0 (you won't regret watching... he was a very entertaining runner).

I think the problem with the public perception of Blount is that his most prolific fantasy season was the one season where he was strictly playing a plodder's role. That and it was pretty recent. Nobody remembers when he was the only playmaker on a horrific Raheem Morris/Josh Freeman offense. He disappeared from everyone's fantasy radar when Greg Schiano deemed him to be "not a Buccaneer man" and benched him essentially for an entire season. He bounced around on 1-year contracts ever since.

I haven't watched enough Freeman to confirm or deny any similarities to Blount, but as a Freeman owner I'd be quite happy if he was a Blount clone (but without the black sheep label). We should know soon enough, as I think we've all seen enough of Booker to expect Freeman to quickly push him aside. It will be pretty ridiculous if they are splitting snaps evenly beyond week 2.  
His rookie year was excellent. It got progressively worse every year after, although he mostly maintained a decent floor for TDs, but his play style lends itself to being <5 yds away and sometimes getting in the EZ.

I think that if Freeman gets the equivalent amount of work his rookie year, that blount did ( 13 games, 206 touches, 1021 yds, 5 scores ). Those numbers are well within reach. I would be happy with those stats.

Any other year of blounts career aside from the outlier year of 1100/18, I would be super disappointed in for Freeman.

His rookie year was excellent. It got progressively worse every year after, although he mostly maintained a decent floor for TDs, but his play style lends itself to being <5 yds away and sometimes getting in the EZ.

I think that if Freeman gets the equivalent amount of work his rookie year, that blount did ( 13 games, 206 touches, 1021 yds, 5 scores ). Those numbers are well within reach. I would be happy with those stats.

Any other year of blounts career aside from the outlier year of 1100/18, I would be super disappointed in for Freeman.
I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about talent rather than situation. I totally agree that Blount's career workload would be disappointing as a Freeman owner. Blount was an unrestricted free agent whereas Freeman was a relatively highly drafted RB. Blount had a problem child label from punching a guy in college and getting suspended his senior year (which is what many believe led to him being undrafted) and his tenure under Schiano didn't help that, nor did his antics in PIT (got caught smoking bud with L Bell and also asked to be released after leaving the field early one game IIRC). But purely from a talent standpoint, I think he was an impressive player. Had he been drafted early and kept his name clean, I think his career would've been very different, which is why I say that I'd be happy if Freeman was a Blount clone.

Would you rather have him or Derrick Henry going forward? 
Today I would say Henry, in a couple weeks that could change.  I'd say they're close.  Gotta give Henry the edge based on having done it for a couple years. But I have faith in Royce.  I am also very big on Henry.

I’m confused - word was that Freeman was going to get extended play tonight to see how he did in pass protection.

does his not taking a single snap tonight bode well or Ill for his season going forward? 

:unsure:

Ilov80s said:
Bodes very well. The runway is clear for take off. 
I would've liked to have seen him get some playing time, but even if he ran for 300 yards and 7 TD's, we would have to omit everything over 3 yards per attempt and every TD. Still, I would've liked to have seen him practice pass blocking a bit more. Either way, he's getting the start week 1 for me. 

"If you have too much expectation, you may come away disappointed." - Dalai Lama

Opportunity is there for Freeman, but all depends on how much coaching staff likes Booker. Watching with interest....
I disagree here- even if booker gets the nod, he’s not even close to a guy they want to feature. Freeman will get work, which gives him a solid floor, but he could definitely handle a big workload and has the opportunity to earn it, which makes him an attractive target. Wouldn’t blame someone if they took drake or Henry before him but if you missed those guys freeman is a nice consolation pick. 

If Freeman is your number 3 I'd say very nice pick. If your picking him as your number two..buyer be ware! I can see a situation where you start him and then watch Booker get most of the touches the first few weeks. you never really know what the coaches have planned or how well he is doing in pass pro etc. I think Philip Lindsay is gonna be involved. Booker may not be a great runner but he is a very good receiver. Freeman's upside may be a little capped.

I like Freeman a lot. It may be slow going at the beginning of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Broncos will reportedly list rookie RB Royce Freeman atop their depth chart Sunday.

Freeman (15-84-3 in three preseason games) ran circles around Devontae Booker (9-33) in August and showed to be the more explosive option of the two. He'll reportedly be listed atop Denver's revised depth chart when it's released later this afternoon. Rookie Phillip Lindsay is expected to stick at No. 3 behind Booker. Although the Broncos clearly have confidence in Freeman, we fully expect this backfield to use a committee approach (at least to start the year). Freeman has workhorse traits and is still the preferred fantasy option given his red zone and goal line usage throughout the preseason.
Even if it's just symbolic this is good news. 

Users who are viewing this thread