What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2019 NFL Draft Class (2 Viewers)

The problem with Love is that he barely reaches some RB thresholds.  You can find an interesting article about thresholds for this years class HERE.  From what we know he did meet 2 of these 6 and was 1/8th an inch away from 3/6.  I would imagine he runs better than 4.6 in the forty so if we want to be optimistic you can say 4/6 criteria.  Same as some other questionable prospects in this years class.  But we don't know his testing so it's hard to say what he would do in the other categories.  

Then you add in his hands for a passing down role, and it's hard to imagine him getting any of that work since he isn't a great receiver.  So what exactly is he?  At best he's a 1st and 2nd down home run threat, but that's so hard to project when/if he'll hit those home runs and if his size can sustain for long periods of time doing that.  You'd also need fairly good blocking for him, again reducing his chances of success.  He's nothing more than a long shot, non-draftable RB in my eyes.  
The thresholds in the article are not very lofty. 

You make a great point about Loves receiving production however which was not good at all. Similar to Miles Sanders, he had below average yards per catch, although he did have 20 receptions in 2018 which was a lot more than he had in 2017 (6).

To give this some context, same team same offense McCaffrey had 45 receptions in 2015 and 37 in 2016 with 11.6 ypr

That is why I would only have Love as a tier two RB. I love the speed and elusiveness though.

The aftermath of having invested some in Ronald Jones is bringing me down on Love. Smaller RB's who excelled in Pac 12 but they both leave me lacking with respect to what I saw from them in receiving game coming out of college. These guys seem almost built more like COP backs but most teams want their COP back to function well in the passing game. Smaller backs who have not shown a lot in the passing game kind of leave me unexcited and makes me wonder how do they win? I think neither do and for sure not for fantasy teams unless they show a lot more in receiving game then they showed so far.

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compared Michigan State RB LJ Scott to Philadelphia Eagles RB Jordan Howard

Howard was just recently traded to the Eagles after a pair of productive seasons for the Bears, in case you missed that. Scott (6'0/227) is a power back, and Zierlein notes he "Plays with desired north-south demeanor as inside runner." He also cites that he has light feet for a big back, and that he's a "viable" pass-catching option. "Scott is a volume ball-carrier whose pass-catching ability adds to his value as a potential starter, but he struggles to find explosive carries and might need to be part of a "thunder and lightning" pairing," Zierlein writes in his overview. He projects the former Spartan to go in the 6th-to-7th round.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 12, 2019, 5:31 PM

The question is, how long can we wait?  Does he make it to the third in fantasy drafts?
Love gets two votes for pick 1.12 in this poll.

So I would say that would be the earliest you would need to worry about him being selected right now.

In the pre combine polls Love got votes at 1.07 the first time I added him to the poll.

The NFL draft will change this of course, but based on the polls it wouldn't be a reach to take him in the 2nd round.

The aftermath of having invested some in Ronald Jones is bringing me down on Love. Smaller RB's who excelled in Pac 12 but they both leave me lacking with respect to what I saw from them in receiving game coming out of college. These guys seem almost built more like COP backs but most teams want their COP back to function well in the passing game. Smaller backs who have not shown a lot in the passing game kind of leave me unexcited and makes me wonder how do they win? I think neither do and for sure not for fantasy teams unless they show a lot more in receiving game then they showed so far.
To be fair, Love ran a 4.3 in college, Jones was never under 4.5. 40 times aren't everything, but that is a pretty big difference. Also, I wouldn't write Jones off completely yet, his hamstring was never right last year. With better health and a better offense, it wouldn't blow my mind if he was a post-hype sleeper. We'll learn a lot about Jones based off Tampa's draft, but I think he can still pass Barber on the depth chart, especially with a new coaching staff.

To be fair, Love ran a 4.3 in college, Jones was never under 4.5. 40 times aren't everything, but that is a pretty big difference. Also, I wouldn't write Jones off completely yet, his hamstring was never right last year. With better health and a better offense, it wouldn't blow my mind if he was a post-hype sleeper. We'll learn a lot about Jones based off Tampa's draft, but I think he can still pass Barber on the depth chart, especially with a new coaching staff.
I agree pretty much all you are saying here but I would add that  I think Ronald Jones is a lot faster then he was able to run, he's a track star and  I think his hammy bothered him. Have not given up on him either but for sure he's someone I"ll admit I valued as player 5 last year that is now someone I put in mid to late second round value. I looked past some issues with him that I touched on earlier that is making me more hesitant to look past some similar issues with Love is where I'm at in the process.

Maybe the reason I'm down on Bryce Love is that I'm subconsciously learning my lesson from Ronald Jones last year.  Like you said, they're built like COP backs, but they don't have the receiving skills to be that.  At least not yet.  Hard to pin point a projection for someone like that.  That's one thing I'm trying to do a better job of this year compared to years prior is find their role in an offense.  Bryce Love doesn't seem to have a defined role other than "home run hitter" and there have been SOOOO many RB's to come out with that tag it makes me nervous.  I won't avoid him, but I won't be investing anything more than a 4th round rookie pick for him.  

I agree pretty much all you are saying here but I would add that  I think Ronald Jones is a lot faster then he was able to run, he's a track star and  I think his hammy bothered him. Have not given up on him either but for sure he's someone I"ll admit I valued as player 5 last year that is now someone I put in mid to late second round value. I looked past some issues with him that I touched on earlier that is making me more hesitant to look past some similar issues with Love is where I'm at in the process.
Wasn’t he also having an issue with grasping assignments? Seems like I remember something like that.

Tex

Texas A&M TE Jace Sternberger had the highest receiving grade of any tight end in college football.

Sternberger (6'4/251) doesn't have the athleticism of the elite tight ends, but he was very productive for the Aggies after transferring from junior college. As a junior, Sternberger scored 10 touchdowns while averaging 10.7 yards per target. An NFL tight ends coach said Sternberger is capable of catching 50 to 60 passes per year if he continues to develop, so there's clearly interest. Expect Sternberger to hear his name called on Day 2.

SOURCE: Pro Football Focus

Apr 13, 2019, 7:39 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler said Wake Forest WR Greg Dortch is small and has "average speed" with "so-so hands."

Dortch (5'7/173) disappointed at the Wake Forest Pro Day by running a 4.59-second 40-yard dash with a below-average vertical jump (33 inches). These scores were a little surprising given his success on special teams and as a play-making receiver, and they assuredly put a dent into his draft stock. While it's been a mostly negative pre-draft process, there are still some reasons for optimism. In 2018, Dortch posted an 89-1,078-8 receiving line at 20 years old.

SOURCE: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Apr 14, 2019, 9:14 AM

Evan  Silva mock draft.  

Seven defensive linemen in the top nine picks.

Go to link.

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1116919363729285120

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

My 2019 NFL Mock Draft 2.0

9:21 PM - 12 Apr 2019

----------------------------------
That 5 through 9 stretch is rough in my opinion. That would probably be a best case scenario for Denver at #10, getting Haskins without having to trade up.

If the Giants come out of round 1 with Sweat and D.Jones, I fully support Giant fans deciding to root for the Jets instead.

Duke QB Daniel Jones visited the Patriots on Wednesday.

They also hosted West Virginia gunslinger Will Grier. The ageless Tom Brady has outlasted every backup he's ever had but Father Time remains undefeated and no amount of avocado ice cream will change that. Now seems like as good a time as any to find Brady's successor, though most of the big-name signal-callers in this year's class including Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins and Drew Lock will be gone by the time New England picks at 32nd overall. Jones has seen his stock rise in recent weeks and could come off the board late in the first round. The Pats have also been linked to Josh Rosen, who the Cardinals figure to trade ahead of next week's draft.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Boston Globe

Apr 14, 2019, 9:25 AM

That 5 through 9 stretch is rough in my opinion. That would probably be a best case scenario for Denver at #10, getting Haskins without having to trade up.

If the Giants come out of round 1 with Sweat and D.Jones, I fully support Giant fans deciding to root for the Jets instead.
And it 'might' be a reason why so many stories suddenly 'popped-up' of Haskins taking a precipitous slide even out of the first round but he was not one of the 22 invites to the draft so someone in the NFL offices think he may not go in the 1st so I dunno.  I like Haskins but every QB gets picked apart and he lacks mobility which even Bill Belichick realizes is a critical part of the new NFL QB paradigm.  

How Bill Belichick, Patriots Adapt To Ever-Shifting NFL Trends by Zack Cox on Thu, Apr 11, 2019

...New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick explained Wednesday how he and his staff navigate this process.

“If two-thirds of the league have running-type quarterbacks and quarterbacks that are athletic and are going to scramble and are going to be those kind of players, then you’d better be ready to defend them,” Belichick said during his pre-draft news conference at Gillette Stadium.
He might fall to them and I think it would be a good fit.  Flacco provides time he needs and Elway has to have a better option if/when Flacco takes that team as far as he can this year but Elway has not made the best QB moves IMHO so...

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compares Florida RB Jordan Scarlett to Christine Michael.

"He's a wildcard from a maturity standpoint," a scout told Zierlein, "but he's built for the league and athletic for the league so it's probably just a matter of where he ends up and how long he can stick around." Zierlein notes that he's a "Weight room monster with a 465-pound bench-press to his name," and that he is able to accelerate quickly after making cuts. He also notes that Scarlett's vision is inconsistent, and that he is a non-factor in the passing game. "He has early Day 3 traits with the potential to find NFL carries," Zierlein writes, "but potential character concerns could hurt his chances."

Apr 15, 2019, 12:00 PM

Senior Bowl director Jim Nagy said Washington State QB Gardner Minshew is the most underrated quarterback in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Minshew has had a quiet pre-draft process if we ignore those elite pictures of him in those jean shorts. Unless something drastic happens in the final stretch, Minshew is expected to be drafted on Day 3 as a developmental-type and potentially long-term backup. What Minshew doesn't have is ideal size or arm strength, but he was quite accurate and very productive in his lone season as the starter at Washington State.

SOURCE: Jim Nagy on Twitter

Apr 15, 2019, 5:15 PM

Boise State QB Brett Rypien led college football in Pro Football Focus' big-time throws metric.

Rypien (6'2/212) made 33 of them in 2018, which was also his best season according to PFF's grading system. One reason why he had a lot of big plays is his ability to play inside the pocket against pressure. Rypien finished 12th in the country in passer rating when pressure while finishing 21st in a clean pocket. Despite the solid numbers, Rypien currently sits on the Day 2/3 borderline as a likely backup quarterback.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Apr 15, 2019, 8:37 PM

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compares Boise State QB Brett Rypien to San Francisco 49ers QB Nick Mullens.

Mullens made several starts for the 49ers last year after Jimmy Garoppolo suffered a season-ending ending injury, and at times, looked competent. Could Rypien do the same? Zierlein notes that Rypien has exceptional mechanics, and that he's an accurate thrower on all three levels. The concerns come in Zierlein's size (6'2/210), and he's not going to win many races. "Light on measurables, but high on intangibles, Rypien's lack of size, mobility and NFL arm talent makes it unlikely that he'll ever become a serviceable starter," writes Zierlein. "What has a chance to save him is his football intelligence, accuracy and consistency."

Apr 16, 2019, 6:01 PM

Users who are viewing this thread