What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2019 NFL Draft Class (1 Viewer)

Giants taking Haskins at 6 is horrible. If they take a QB there I think it will be Lock. I think they pass on a QB until Round 2.
I am not sure I see them taking Haskins either. I'm not sure if he is ready to jump in and play right away. Lock may be. 6 might be too high unless others trade up to take qbs

Jello_Biafra said:
Giants taking Haskins at 6 is horrible. If they take a QB there I think it will be Lock. I think they pass on a QB until Round 2.
Yeah, I don't see them taking one and punishing Manning for another year.

The Giants aren't likely to be drafting this highly again, unless they want to waste another year of their elite skill position players. Haskins is perfect for them, and they can even keep Eli for a while if they want until he's ready. But you can't be at 6 and not take a QB if the top guy is there. 

The smart move is to go with Eli this year. Draft no QB. Cut Eli before the 2020 season and start a backup QB. Tank and draft Trevor Lawrence.

The Giants aren't likely to be drafting this highly again, unless they want to waste another year of their elite skill position players. Haskins is perfect for them, and they can even keep Eli for a while if they want until he's ready. But you can't be at 6 and not take a QB if the top guy is there. 
They need to draft defense. Eli is not the problem. He has to be replaced eventually, but doesn't 2020 have a better class of QBs?  

Any idea where Kyler Murray goes? 

If I'm the Giants and it isn't clear, I take a chance on him later in the draft.

Don't know if it was posted here yet, but Mizzou RB Damarea Crockett declared a few days ago.

He was my dev pick in the middle of the first round of my only dev league, so I've been keeping tabs on him this year.

He was a little underwhelming this season and I probably view him as a day three prospect at this point (4th-5th round), but he definitely has an NFL size/speed combo and should be drafted. The comp for me is Jay Ajayi. Both guys have power and straight line speed, but question marks in terms of consistent elusiveness and fluidity.

Keep an eye on him at the combine because he's probably going to weigh 220+ and could put up a surprisingly good workout in the 40/jumps to create some buzz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkU3dM9yXnw

Last edited by a moderator:
Jello_Biafra said:
They need to draft defense. Eli is not the problem. He has to be replaced eventually, but doesn't 2020 have a better class of QBs?  
it has tago and then a whole lot of uncertainties. IMO 2019 is better. 2021 is better than 2020

Is there any consensus on who the #1 fantasy rookie pick should be? 
It all depends on the draft. 

There isnt a rb who will be picked top 10. and there are 1 or two teams who might pick a rb round 1, and the consensus there is grey. 

There are 3 top wrs and 2 more who might get into the conversation depending where they land. many find a place like Baltimore to be a death sentence for a stud wr like Brown, Harry, or Metcalf, putting them off draft boards. However if any of those 3 end up in Cleveland or New York J, then we are talking 1.1 easy. 

we can get back to rb... if one goes to kc in the first 2 rounds they should be 1.1. there may be another I'd consider as well. 

so once the draft comes I think things shake out a lot different than what we may think now. and that's more due to a lack of a top 10 rb rather than a top 10 wr... there are 3 or 4 who could (all) be picked top 15, and where they go makes a difference on where they go in your rookie draft 

Terry Godwin - WR -  Bulldogs

The Athletic's Dane Brugler called Georgia senior WR Terry Godwin "one of the biggest sleepers in the entire draft class."

That's certainly high praise for Godwin (5'11/185) who was underutilized at Georgia. Brugler continues to say that Godwin's speed could make him a difference-maker. Godwin received positive reviews at Monday's East-West Shrine Game practice, especially in one-on-one drills due to his speed and confidence. As a senior, Godwin posted a 20-340-3 receiving line, so calling Godwin underutilized would be an understatement.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter 

Jan 14 - 7:44 PM

Brett Rypien - QB -  Broncos

Footballguys' Cecil Lammey said Boise State senior QB Brett Rypien was "the best QB of the day."

Lammey (6'2/202) was "throwing with zip" and looked athletic enough to scouts at the first East-West Shrine Game practice. The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard agreed with Lammey's assessment, and also noted that North Dakota State quarterback Easton Stick had an up-and-down day. Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline gave Rypien a sixth-round grade, but his stock appears to be climbing up.

Source: Cecil Lammey on Twitter 

Jan 14 - 7:39 PM

The Athletic's Dane Brugler says "there are too many 'what was that?' type of throws sandwiched in between the impressive passes" in West Virginia senior QB Will Grier's tape.

This is a more than fair evaluation of Grier, who Brugler gives a second round grade to. An anonymous NFL evaluator said Grier is being viewed as a low-end starter or high-end backup, which matches Brugler's second round evaluation. As a senior, Grier threw for 37 touchdowns with just eight interceptions, so his "what was that?" throws didn't always result in interceptions. This quarterback class is filled with interesting, but flawed prospects.

Source: The Athletic 

Jan 14 - 7:33 PM

An anonymous NFL evaluator says "most of the league is going to look at [West Virginia senior QB Will Grier] as a low-end starter or high-end backup."

The evaluator continues, "I think it's going to be a thin crop of quarterbacks in the end, and so a guy like Grier could go earlier than he should." That's certainly possible with only Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Daniel Jones being considered as Day 1 quarterback options. Grier's numbers at West Virginia were huge -- there's no questions about his production -- but he'll need to show NFL-caliber arm strength at the Reese's Senior Bowl to earn a "low-end starter" grade. ESPN's Todd McShay ranks Grier as the No. 3 quarterback in the 2019 class, while Mel Kiper has him at No. 4.

Jan 3 - 9:08 PM

Source: ESPN

Will Grier - QB -  Mountaineers

According to Pro Football Focus' grades, West Virginia senior QB Will Grier was the best quarterback when blitzed in 2018.

On 124 pass attempts when blitzed, Grier completed 68.5% of his passes while averaging 10.5 yards per attempt. That's excellent, but Grier also didn't throw a single interception and had 22 touchdowns with pressure coming -- both being the best marks in the country. That means 59% of his touchdown passes came against the blitz, and he had a higher YPA when blitzed -- Grier averaged 9.3 yards per attempt in non-blitz situations. With West Virginia sitting at 8-3, Grier will have a bowl game, assuming he plays, before heading to the 2019 NFL Draft.

Source: PFF College on Twitter 

Sun, Dec 2, 2018 10:29:00 AM

Tyron Johnson - WR -  Cowboys

Oklahoma State junior WR Tyron Johnson declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

A bit of a surprise. The 6-foot-1, 193-pound wideout had a solid season for the Cowboys with 53 catches for 845 yards and six scores, and came on strong at the end of the year; including a 7-141-1 against Missouri in the Liberty Bowl victory. Johnson has been a vertical threat, and it's possible that he'll test well enough to be a Day 2 pick. There was not a lot of NFL buzz around him, however, so it's difficult to say where his stock is right now. We'll be curious to see.

Source: Tyron Johnson on Twitter 

Jan 14 - 4:58 PM

I haven’t done due dilegence on WR’s yet. Early QB ranks I’d have:

1) Murray; 2) Haskins; 3) Rypien; 4) Lock; 5) Daniel Jones; 6) Ryan Finley 

Watchlist: Ta’amu, Easton Stick, Tyree Jackson, Gardner Minshew, Will Grier

RB’s:

1) Darrell Henderson; 2) Rodney Anderson; 3) Elijah Holyfield; 4) David Montgomery; 5) Trayveon Williams; 6) Devin Singletary; 7) Josh Jacobs; 8 Darwin Thompson; 9) Miles Sanders; 10) Devine Ozigbo

Watchlist: Justice Hill, Benny Snell, Myles Gaskin, Reggie Corbin, Damien Harris, Quadree Ollison, Ty Johnson, Marquis Young... and a litany of others.

Deep class of RB’s, initial ranking is very loose though I sort of feel like my top 3 are set. Senior Bowl not having Rypien is a fail on their part (again). No way Jackson and his career 55% comp rate is more deserving than Rypien to be there but it is what it is at this point. NFL wants to continue to fall in love with guys they think they can “mold” instead of those who have been highly proficient in the college game. 

RB’s:

1) Darrell Henderson; 2) Rodney Anderson; 3) Elijah Holyfield; 4) David Montgomery; 5) Trayveon Williams; 6) Devin Singletary; 7) Josh Jacobs; 8 Darwin Thompson; 9) Miles Sanders; 10) Devine Ozigbo

Watchlist: Justice Hill, Benny Snell, Myles Gaskin, Reggie Corbin, Damien Harris, Quadree Ollison, Ty Johnson, Marquis Young... and a litany of others.

Deep class of RB’s, initial ranking is very loose though I sort of feel like my top 3 are set. 
I agree with most of this minus I think you are selling Jacobs too short. otherwise you and I are pretty much in full agreement here, which seems to happen often for RBs so I'll look at that as a good thing

I agree with most of this minus I think you are selling Jacobs too short. otherwise you and I are pretty much in full agreement here, which seems to happen often for RBs so I'll look at that as a good thing
I’m trying to come out with rankings pre-combine this year and do pre-combine, post-combine, post-draft. The league is abundant at RB. I’m expecting a lot of good backs to go to bad situations, be drafted late or go undrafted. Personally, I’ll be loading up at RB’s people are afraid of due to where they go (or don’t go) in the draft this year because this is a good class.

I have nothing against him, but I do not think he is worth pick 6. If they trade down to get more assets and can still get Haskins, then fine. But taking any QB at 6 is nuts to me this year.
just curious. I'm trying to get the good with the bad so I can figure out if I'm reaching for him or someone else

I’m trying to come out with rankings pre-combine this year and do pre-combine, post-combine, post-draft. The league is abundant at RB. I’m expecting a lot of good backs to go to bad situations, be drafted late or go undrafted. Personally, I’ll be loading up at RB’s people are afraid of due to where they go (or don’t go) in the draft this year because this is a good class.
Someone tell me more about Henderson or link to his thread please.

Here’s my off the cuff rb desired destinations, ie  a good rookie could start immediately.

KC

Phi

Bal

Hou

NYJ

SF

Buf

Oak

Any other team will probably be less exciting of a destination. 

I haven’t done due dilegence on WR’s yet. Early QB ranks I’d have:

1) Murray; 2) Haskins; 3) Rypien; 4) Lock; 5) Daniel Jones; 6) Ryan Finley 

Watchlist: Ta’amu, Easton Stick, Tyree Jackson, Gardner Minshew, Will Grier

RB’s:

Deep class of RB’s, initial ranking is very loose though I sort of feel like my top 3 are set. Senior Bowl not having Rypien is a fail on their part (again). No way Jackson and his career 55% comp rate is more deserving than Rypien to be there but it is what it is at this point. NFL wants to continue to fall in love with guys they think they can “mold” instead of those who have been highly proficient in the college game. 
No way does 8, 9, and 10 belong ahead of Snell.  One could argue 3 or 4 others in your top 10 don’t either.

1) Jacobs

2) Montgomery 

3) Damien Harris

4) Anderson

5) Snell

6) Holyfield

7) Singletary

8)) Weber

9) Love (would be higher than Weber, possibly Singletary and Holyfield, if not for the ACL tear)

10) T Williams

No way does 8, 9, and 10 belong ahead of Snell.  One could argue 3 or 4 others in your top 10 don’t either.

1) Jacobs

2) Montgomery 

3) Damien Harris

4) Anderson

5) Snell

6) Holyfield

7) Singletary

8)) Weber

9) Love (would be higher than Weber, possibly Singletary,  if not for the ACL tear)

10) T Williams
1) It’s early, it’s my opinion as it is yours... not factual,  2) I consider Snell slow, incapable of creating on his own outside of running straight into defenders (which is not a skill or trait I admire) and he doesn’t catch passes, 3) I think you’ll really enjoy the film of the three you’ve decided to dismiss on essentially the first leg of the draft process. I have no doubt everyone around here will be buzzing about them soon enough, especially Ozigbo, who I probably have too low.

1) It’s early, it’s my opinion as it is yours... not factual,  2) I consider Snell slow, incapable of creating on his own outside of running straight into defenders (which is not a skill or trait I admire) and he doesn’t catch passes, 3) I think you’ll really enjoy the film of the three you’ve decided to dismiss on essentially the first leg of the draft process. I have no doubt everyone around here will be buzzing about them soon enough, especially Ozigbo, who I probably have too low.
FYI, Snell isn’t slow, has great vision, and MOST importantly he gained over 800 yards after contact against SEC competition 

ETA Henderson is all but assured to be a COP back.

FYI, Snell isn’t slow, has great vision, and MOST importantly he gained over 800 yards after contact against SEC competition 

ETA Henderson is all but assured to be a COP back.
It’s almost like I didn’t type the sentence that I don’t like backs that run to contact.

Henderson has 1321 yds after contact since you love that so much. How many yards did Snell have on the season?
Donald Brown led nation in rushing at one time.....just sayin’. Not a fan of conference and competition.  Not to mention he is undersized 

Snell has bell cow potential, Henderson doesn’t.

Donald Brown led nation in rushing at one time.....just sayin’. Not a fan of conference and competition.  Not to mention he is undersized 
I understand the gravitating toward the SEC and I understand that Snell has really nice production. He’s not my cup of tea right now unless he tests better than my eyes can see (which is very, very much possible). Also, even though I’ve been a condescending jerk (probably) in this chat my rankings are fluid and I’m still digesting a lot. That being said I don’t operate in a space of fear. Donald Brown or Kevin Smith factor no more into my decision making than Matt Forte or LT2.

Henderson had 8.9 ypc which would have been the record over Love had he had one more carry (had 214). He weighed 205 in fall camp and that is plenty big enough for me. In fact, I’m rather tired of the collective on this board saying this back or that back is too small. I made the playoffs with a team I thought was a rebuild with Matt Breida, Philip Lindsay, Chris Thompson and Ito Smith all starting at various points for me. Size doesn’t scare me in today’s NFL, especially with a production pedigree like Henderson has. I also expect his measurables to match that.

I understand the gravitating toward the SEC and I understand that Snell has really nice production. He’s not my cup of tea right now unless he tests better than my eyes can see (which is very, very much possible). Also, even though I’ve been a condescending jerk (probably) in this chat my rankings are fluid and I’m still digesting a lot. That being said I don’t operate in a space of fear. Donald Brown or Kevin Smith factor no more into my decision making than Matt Forte or LT2.

Henderson had 8.9 ypc which would have been the record over Love had he had one more carry (had 214). He weighed 205 in fall camp and that is plenty big enough for me. In fact, I’m rather tired of the collective on this board saying this back or that back is too small. I made the playoffs with a team I thought was a rebuild with Matt Breida, Philip Lindsay, Chris Thompson and Ito Smith all starting at various points for me. Size doesn’t scare me in today’s NFL, especially with a production pedigree like Henderson has. I also expect his measurables to match that.
Not saying smaller backs aren’t good fantasy backs, just the opposite.  However, I am saying he’s high risk for low volume and in fantasy that is very important IMO.  Snell isn’t a plodder.  I can see him being a high volume back that is great between the tackles and enough speed to turn the corner.  Henderson could have a Chris Johnson type of career but he carries risk with his size and competition.  I do prefer backs that played in a tougher conference.  Not saying that’s the most important thing, but it is a preference of mine.

JohnnyU said:
Not saying smaller backs aren’t good fantasy backs, just the opposite.  However, I am saying he’s high risk for low volume and in fantasy that is very important IMO.  Snell isn’t a plodder.  I can see him being a high volume back that is great between the tackles and enough speed to turn the corner.  Henderson could have a Chris Johnson type of career but he carries risk.
I think we have an understanding then. I’m sure the combine and our favorite analysts will influence opinion between now and then.

I am pretty pig headed when I make a decision on a player. Most of these guys are still heads or tails to me but not Henderson. I have an unofficial top speed around 21 mph, massive production, only 4 games under 6 ypc the last two years, nice recieving profile and from @ZWK‘s thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/769797-zwks-2019-prospect-analysis/?do=findComment&comment=21436397 

further proof of this guys crazy elusiveness. There, of course, can always be things unseen like work ethic and attitude but I think this guy has the goods. Rodney Anderson probably appeals more to NFL standards of size/speed combo and the right situation or combine variance could push him ahead for me but this is where I’m at right now.

I was hoping to have a rankings thread up before the Shrine Bowl but I think it’s probably going to be after because I have not gotten a good look at the WR/TE’s yet outside of notating production. I will be happy to expound/debate more rankings there when that happens.

Finished my initial evals of 12 WR's:

*not in any particular order*

DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Kelvin Harmon, N'Keal Harry, Preston Williams, Hakeem Butler, Deebo Samuel, Marquise Brown, Anthony Ratliff-Williams, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Parris Campbell, and Cody Thompson. 

Any other super important names I need to watch before I solidify a top12?  I'm talking about names that could be considered a 1st round rookie pick.  

Anthony Johnson, Emmanuel Hall, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, David Sills, and Riley Ridley are guys who could make some people's top 10 WR lists, although they all seem pretty unlikely to crack your top 12 rookies.

Users who are viewing this thread