What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Gronk retiring? Was offered a trade, but I'm hesitant (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
This morning I was offered Gronk and Rodney Anderson for Evan Ingram and Trey Burton.  Of course I'm aware of the Gronk rumors, which I don't buy into, but Engram has a bright future and is young.  Am I losing it to be so hesitant?

Four surgeries on his forearm, three on his back, one on an ankle, at least one on his knee, several concussions, and a total loss of perspective against Buffalo showing mental exhaustion with the game.    If he continues I look for him to be in decline.  Now Gronk in decline could still be amazing.

This morning I was offered Gronk and Rodney Anderson for Evan Ingram and Trey Burton.  Of course I'm aware of the Gronk rumors, which I don't buy into, but Engram has a bright future and is young.  Am I losing it to be so hesitant?
Assuming this is a dynasty, so I’d have to say you’d be crazy to take that deal. Engrams is the future of the league at TE. Even if Gronk plays next year he isn’t buying any green bananas. Unless you think Anderson is gonna be a superstar I’m turning that deal down easily.

On first blush I would have said there's no way he's retiring and this is just exhaustion from a long season and him being down from a tough loss speaking. However with his long injury history including the recent concussion, maybe he wants to get out before he spend his 60s not being able to walk. As much as he comes across as a doofus, I've read he's really smart with his money and doesn't even touch the principal - and he's guaranteed to get a in-studio job the minute he retires given his likable personality.

I personally think this is a ploy to get a new contract. The deal he signed at the time seemed like it would be worth a lot of money and at the top of the market, but in today's NFL it's not. IMO, this is leverage to get a nice extension with a lot of guaranteed money.

Did anyone hear the reporters exact question to Gronk? I'd specifically like to know how the question was posed that got him to give this answer: “I don’t know how you heard that. But I mean, I’m definitely going to look at my future, for sure. I’m going to sit down in the next couple weeks and see where I’m at.”

My money would be on him coming back, but I think there is something potentially telling in his response but I can't know for sure unless I know how the question was phrased.  Was it phrased as "are you coming back" or "I've heard talk that you may retire or not return". This actually makes a difference to me, I'm guessing it was the later and if so I think this story has legs in the sense that he's truly contemplating it, not post-game emotion or contract issues but truly pondering it like he said.

Not next year. I think he comes back. I’ve heard his entire family wants him to retire but don’t know how much that factors

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I'm leaning but the recent news and my most recent superflex start up draft (he went 4.05 after the 1.03 was picked) have me questioning his value compared to others.

Interesting ... most of the deals in the dynasty trade thread lean heavily toward the "Gronk smash" type of comments but I guess his value has peaked and on a downward trend.

Ingram will light it up with Shurmer's O. Trey will probably get a gig somewhere next year. I'd want no parts of Gronk unless you wanna see the last lap.

I've been trying to trade him in 2 dynasty leagues for months and can't find a taker. I guess I'm riding him into the sunset.

looks to me like the other owner trying to dump ahead of the curve, and leaving you holding the bag.  Trying to trade Gronk (rumors with retirement) and Anderson (recently arrested for the second time in a year).  

looks to me like the other owner trying to dump ahead of the curve, and leaving you holding the bag.  Trying to trade Gronk (rumors with retirement) and Anderson (recently arrested for the second time in a year).  
I didn't even consider Anderson.  The only consideration was Gronk.  However, my team in that league is rebuilding and that alone made me reject the offer, regardless of the retirement rumors.

While its tempting and I would rank Gronkowski ahead of Engram (I think?) based on him not retiring and playing at a high level for another two seasons (maybe?) there is also a lot of risk that comes with him.

I would likely pass on the deal and prefer to keep Engram, which makes me question if Engram should be ranked ahead of Gronkowski.

Gronkowski is more proven than Engram (although Engram put up good numbers for a rookie TE) but the risks involved and shorter outlook offset the upside and established value for me.

I really like Engram but I could see his numbers falling back a bit with OBJ returning to the line up and what looks like a transition year at the QB position from Eli to possibly a new QB. While I do think Engram will continue to get better and maintain top 12 value at the TE position for a long time moving forward, I could see him taking a step back this year.

Thanks for the question. Made me realize that Gronkowski may not be the clear favorite at the position for dynasty anymore.

I don't think he'll retire. My guess is he's feeling like he's underpaid - because he is- and is feeling pretty beat up.  Would definitely be buying.

I think he was pretty scared of the Eagles in that game and that made him uncertain of his future in an Eagles dominated NFL.  He'll take the spring off, get his mojo back on one of those Gronk cruises and he'll be ready to go for next year.  

If you want to trade FOR Gronk, just make the trade conditional. If he retires before the 2018 season, the trade is reversed, or something like that.

These conversations are so difficult to calibrate because the actual terms for obtaining/trading Gronk are going to look different in each league. In trying to follow the texture of the debate, I would be inclined to deal for Gronk, as opposed to moving him. Of course, the current state of your team matters as well. If I'm a contender and have a mid to late first round pick, I float that trial balloon out there.

While I think it is unlikely someone would deal Gronk for a pick in the 1.07-1.12 vicinity, it is not out of the question. Given that there are rumors out there that are driving the prospective cost down, that's probably the right move. 

I think that if you are a seller and put out the "I'm thinking about moving Gronk" communication you are inviting a series of lowball offers. Perhaps the more strategic play is to offer Gronk to others in return for other elite players. 

Man, I'm apparently in the extreme minority here. I'd do this deal in a heartbeat. I don't buy for a second this retirement talk is anything other than frustration over losing the Super Bowl. He'll get over it. He's still very much in his prime. 

Is Engram really considered an elite TE? He struck me as a guy who has talent, but had a perfect situation this year. He saw a high amount of targets, because the Giants were on their 5th and 6th WR's for most of the year. Engram's targets shrunk when Shepard got healthy, what will happen with Beckham? Engram also is a pretty awful blocker, so he could lose work, if the team is more successful. 

In addition, I think Anderson is more valuable than Burton as well. 

Man, I'm apparently in the extreme minority here. I'd do this deal in a heartbeat. I don't buy for a second this retirement talk is anything other than frustration over losing the Super Bowl. He'll get over it. He's still very much in his prime. 

Is Engram really considered an elite TE? He struck me as a guy who has talent, but had a perfect situation this year. He saw a high amount of targets, because the Giants were on their 5th and 6th WR's for most of the year. Engram's targets shrunk when Shepard got healthy, what will happen with Beckham? Engram also is a pretty awful blocker, so he could lose work, if the team is more successful. 

In addition, I think Anderson is more valuable than Burton as well. 
Normally I would agree, I also think Gronk isn't retiring.  However, my team in that league is in rebuilding mode and I value Engram a lot.  If I'm wrong about my assessment on the Gronk situation and how I feel about Engram,  I would regret doing that deal.  Add that to the constant injury issues with Gronk, it makes me even more skeptical of the trade.  One gets the feeling that one more injury will cause him to retire anyway.   Also, you mentioned Anderson being more valuable than Burton.  I don't see that given his very recent off-the-field troubles. 

Normally I would agree, I also think Gronk isn't retiring.  However, my team in that league is in rebuilding mode and I value Engram a lot.  If I'm wrong about my assessment on the Gronk situation and how I feel about Engram,  I would regret doing that deal.  Add that to the constant injury issues with Gronk, it makes me even more skeptical of the trade.  One gets the feeling that one more injury will cause him to retire anyway.   Also, you mentioned Anderson being more valuable than Burton.  I don't see that given his very recent off-the-field troubles. 
I guess I'm just not as high on Engram. This feels like a guy who heard Gronk could retire and saw Anderson get in trouble, and is selling them for 40 cents on the dollar, out of panic that they could be worth nothing. 

I just see zero reason to believe Engram will ever be as good as Gronk is now(the list of TE's who produce like WR1's is just Gronk) and Burton is just a guy, who may or may not even be usable going forward. Maybe he's the next Delanie Walker, or the next Jacob Tamme. I think Anderson will likely get suspended, but he also was a top-20 WR this year, and is like 24. Unless he gets banished from the NFL, I have a hard time seeing Burton having more value, unless you have an extremely TE skewed league, which in that case, would make Gronk even more valuable.

I just see zero reason to believe Engram will ever be as good as Gronk is now(the list of TE's who produce like WR1's is just Gronk)
Considering Gronk may be the best ever at the position, no one sees that. But Engram should have a long and very productive career ahead of him - he's closer to Aaron Hernandez than Gronk as far as build and game are concerned. While what you said about his targets potentially dropping with OBJ coming back is probably true, most rookie TEs fail to produce good numbers, so what he did is still impressive. There will be plenty of targets to go around, assuming Eli and the offense turn it around under Shurmer.

Gronk's best days are likely behind him at this point. TEs generally do not age well and with his physical style his body will start betraying him in the near future. I actually believe for that very reason why he may actually be considering retirement. Despite acting like a doofus, he's supposedly a pretty sharp guy. I am not saying that he will not out produce Engram next year and the year after if he does stick around (he very likely will) - but prior to this season his injury track record had not been very good in recent seasons so it's not a given.

Robby Anderson in the deal means nothing to me given his current circumstances.  Heck, he doesn't mean that much to me anyway.  It's basically Engram for Gronk.  We all know that if Gronk doesn't retire and he stays healthy (big if),  he's a sure bet to out produce Engram next year and the year after.  However, given my team is in rebuild mode and given Gronk's injury history, I cannot take the chance on Gronk given the current make-up of my team.  I'd rather have Engram long term.  That explains it the best I can.

Robby Anderson in the deal means nothing to me given his current circumstances.  Heck, he doesn't mean that much to me anyway.  It's basically Engram for Gronk.  We all know that if Gronk doesn't retire and he stays healthy (big if),  he's a sure bet to out produce Engram next year and the year after.  However, given my team is in rebuild mode and given Gronk's injury history, I cannot take the chance on Gronk given the current make-up of my team.  I'd rather have Engram long term.  That explains it the best I can.
That's understandable.  No reason to waste Gronk's talent if your team isn't close to winning a title.

That said, I am not that high on Engram as well.  He's decent but others have mentioned his role will change once Beckham and Shepard are healthy.  Also he dropped a lot of passes, a lot more than he should.

Users who are viewing this thread