What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

And Now a Word About Cris Collingsworth (1 Viewer)

Enthusiasm is great.  Fellating Belichick has come to be expected.  Last night, last night you set a new standard for insipid broadcasting.  It was the third quarter of one of the most compelling Super Bowls ever and you, you Cris Collinsworth actually come out and say that the game was nearly as entertaining as Justin Timberlake's halftime performance.  Really?  We have to listen to an announcer who is more impressed with the halftime show than the game on the field?    

I think Collinsworth is the 2nd best color commentator in football, behind only Romo. I found the Timberlake comment to be funny, and thought nothing more of it. It was basically just a plug, no different than whenever an announcer has to talk about how good some random show is, for whatever network they are on.

I think Collinsworth is the 2nd best color commentator in football, behind only Romo. I found the Timberlake comment to be funny, and thought nothing more of it. It was basically just a plug, no different than whenever an announcer has to talk about how good some random show is, for whatever network they are on.
Plug the game, not the halftime show.  Talk about burying the lede.  that's like bedding Jessica Alba in her prime and remarking marveling only about how static free were the sheets on the bed.

Long ago I really disliked Collins worth.  Then he grew on me a bit.  But now I'm back to hating him.  Still better than joe buck.  I like Troy aikman more than collinsworth

The worst part I thought was how insistent he was on the TDs not being catches when they pretty clearly were. 
I agree completely. The Ertz catch was especially odd to me (when Collingsworth said "I think you have to call it back" or something like that). I feel like I see a play like that on a regular basis in the league and it's not even a question. 

I normally really like Collingsworth. I feel like his prep really shows through when he calls a game. So I was surprised last night when he was so critical of two TD catches that I thought were pretty solid calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Collinsworth.  He has a honesty and energy that I find really adds to a league struggling to find an effective pacing.

Last night was not one of his best though.  He really got caught up in his own gibberish with those two TD calls.  They weren’t that controversial.  The Ertz call was was actually very easy.  The only controversy was in Collinsworth’s head.

That comment was ridiculous. The game last night was entertaining the whole way, every drive mattered, leads were exchanged, the pats came back from down two scores to take a lead, the eagles took the lead back, the pats got a momentum killing turnover, the eagles got an even bigger one... the two best teams putting in a clinic on offense... And it was almost as good as Justin Timberlake. 

Sports. It's almost as good as music

- sports guy

I agree completely. The Ertz catch was especially odd to me (when Collingsworth said "I think you have to call it back" or something like that). I feel like I see a play like that on a regular basis in the league and it's not even a question. 

I normally really like Collingsworth. I feel like his prep really shows through when he calls a game. So I was surprised last night when he was so critical of two TD catches that I thought were pretty solid calls.
His lovefest for the Pats caused his clouded judgement on those TDs, especially the Ertz TD.

Normally like him but he was awful last night. Questioning the Ertz TD when it was crystal clear was the worst. I seriously thought him having the flu was clouding his judgment.

The worst part I thought was how insistent he was on the TDs not being catches when they pretty clearly were. 
I could see the first TD he questioned might be overturned based on the way the replay office has been calling them.   The Ertz TD should have never have been in question - a TD all the way.

Dumber idea: "Announcer X is biased against Team Y" or "League office told officials to rule in favor of one team over another"?

I'd say the latter, but it's close.

As for Collinsworth and the disputed TDs, I attributed it more to the shellshock of none of us being sure what a catch is anymore.

He was driving me nuts on the Ertz TD! like he didnt know that ertz was a runner and all this was it a catch or no BS, as they watch the replay over and over and you see him secure it, and turn up field, take 2 steps and jump towards the EZ (the whole time debating if it was a catch) and then showing him cross the line, with the ball out stretched, clearly a TD, then debating if it was a fumble....what?

Watching the NFL is so much more enjoyable when you mute the TV and listen to music instead.  All color commentators are hard to listen to these days

Normally like him but he was awful last night. Questioning the Ertz TD when it was crystal clear was the worst. I seriously thought him having the flu was clouding his judgment.
I didn't think the Ertz or Clement calls were crystal clear at all. I agreed they should both be TD's, but I've seen clearer calls that were overturned, and I think that was what Collinsworth was trying to say. That if these are TD's, then why weren't play X, Y, or Z? I thought that was far more about the confusing(and awful) what constitutes a catch and possession rules, then anything like Patriots bias. 

He's a good commentator.  The JT comment was obviously just network driven complimenting of the people cutting your paychecks.  You actually believe Chris Collinsworth was more entertained by a halftime show than one of the most entertaining Super Bowls we've seen?  You could hear in his voice last night how much he was enjoying the game.

He was driving me nuts on the Ertz TD! like he didnt know that ertz was a runner and all this was it a catch or no BS, as they watch the replay over and over and you see him secure it, and turn up field, take 2 steps and jump towards the EZ (the whole time debating if it was a catch) and then showing him cross the line, with the ball out stretched, clearly a TD, then debating if it was a fumble....what?
Give me a break.  This is the NFL's crazy catch rules we're talking about here.  He even mentioned that.  We all thought there was a reasonable chance they used their stupid "going to the ground" nonsense there.

The Megatron and Dez and Jesse James plays were obvious catches too.  This one was actually really similar to Dez's as Dez made the same football move (diving for the pylon) and they ruled the dive as him "going to the ground".  

:no:

If anything, the opposite.  Ertz just had it a little bit longer than Megatron/Dez/James.  There is no definition of the rules as to what constitues "going to the ground" as part of the catch vs. establishing yourself as a runner first.  All 4 of those looked like they had clearly established themselves but the other three were all overturned.  Ertz had it a little bit longer and apparently broke that magical judgment barrier but you're kidding youself if you were rooting for the Eagles (as all of us were) and you were sitting there during that review confident that there was no chance it was getting overturned and they were just wasting their time with the replay.  They took a loonnnggg look at it.

Give me a break.  This is the NFL's crazy catch rules we're talking about here.  He even mentioned that.  We all thought there was a reasonable chance they used their stupid "going to the ground" nonsense there.

The Megatron and Dez and Jesse James plays were obvious catches too.  This one was actually really similar to Dez's as Dez made the same football move (diving for the pylon) and they ruled the dive as him "going to the ground".  
I'm not even a Cowboys fan and that Dez one stills irks me. Dallas was the probably the best team in the NFL that year and they got knocked out by a terrible call.  Hypothetically, if not for that call, how different is Romo's legacy, or Garrett's, or Dez's etc. We'd have never heard of Malcom Butler, Brady/Belichick has 1 fewer ring, and maybe McCarthy is out in Green Bay.

I don't dislike him but I can understand that some can't stand him. Kinda the way I feel about Tom Brady.

Collinsworth has his moments of being decent but last night was by far one of his better games.  The commentary is general was not great.

JohnnyU said:
He was horrible last night and his obvious Patriots bias was sickening.

That MFer actually said “I can’t wait for them to call this back”

I NEVER get on announcers and usually think the biased thing is more of fans being emotional but when I heard that, at that point in the game, I was LIVID!! 

**ETA**

Just watched the game again and he actually said “I can’t wait for them to change this rule”. 

Thats my mistake. Well, mine and the alcohol lol

:no:

If anything, the opposite.  Ertz just had it a little bit longer than Megatron/Dez/James.  There is no definition of the rules as to what constitues "going to the ground" as part of the catch vs. establishing yourself as a runner first.  All 4 of those looked like they had clearly established themselves but the other three were all overturned.  Ertz had it a little bit longer and apparently broke that magical judgment barrier but you're kidding youself if you were rooting for the Eagles (as all of us were) and you were sitting there during that review confident that there was no chance it was getting overturned and they were just wasting their time with the replay.  They took a loonnnggg look at it.
Eh, maybe I'm wrong. Could be my bias as a viewer rooting against the Pats but what I saw was a clear catch, a clear football move, multiple steps, then a break of the goal line before the ground popped the ball loose. Those other cases you cite are good parallels (esp being high stakes moments) but to my eye Ertz's "little bit" longer possession seemed somewhat significant (and I thought those other cases were catches, too). And fwiw I thought there was a very good chance it could be overturned, even though I thought he established himself as a runner (as the refs ultimately determined).

Im sorry, but if you, or CC or anyone else thought for a second that was anything but a catch and run, regardless of the NFLs poor record in other situations that were waaaayyyyy less clear, I will just have to let you be wrong.

It had zero to do with it being a catch or not. It was obvious that it was a catch. It was obvious that it was a touchdown. Anyone who even thought it mightve been a fumble and or incomplete is a total drooler. The only person confused was CC, unfortunately he had the mic and we had to listen to the fact he clearly doesnt really know the rules for like 5 min non stop.

Aside from this, I also just dislike listening to him in general, so that prolly doesnt help.

Dumber idea: "Announcer X is biased against Team Y" 
Considering that the announcers at whom these accusations are levellled all played for teams in the same division as the teams they are allegedly biased against, is this really so unlikely as to be dumb on its face?

I would think, just as a fan, that going from rooting vigorously against a team, year in year out, because every loss helps the team I care about, that it would be hard to instantly switch to objective commentary.  For a player whose livelihood and reputation was invested, it could be harder.  Not impossible, but hard enough for the old preferences to show through at emotional moments.

I'm sure for some athletes, it's all a dispassionate business, but that doesn't seem to be the case for many...

Pretty much what Jesse James did a few weeks prior and the NFL overturned.  Collinsworth was absolutely justified in being mystified.

I just watched the game again. The second half chode-gurgling Collinsworth did for all things New England really stood out. I didn’t even notice last night because i was barely listening to him, but it was laughable.

I thought his comments on the halftime show were sarcastic. But his delivery was so dead panned that you couldn’t tell.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
  that's like bedding Jessica Alba in her prime and remarking marveling only about how static free were the sheets on the bed.

OMG - Static free sheets~!  

:Drool:    :excited:

Pretty much what Jesse James did a few weeks prior and the NFL overturned.  Collinsworth was absolutely justified in being mystified.
I understand it's a similar type of play but there were very clear differences.  Ertz was clearly upright for multiple steps and then purposely dove for the endzone. James was already falling when he caught his ball and then lunged.

It's a bad rule but it was applied correctly in both cases

no

No.  Ertz actually took some steps and jumped into end zone.  James caught and turned in the same motion.  2 different plays
this

I understand it's a similar type of play but there were very clear differences.  Ertz was clearly upright for multiple steps and then purposely dove for the endzone. James was already falling when he caught his ball and then lunged.

It's a bad rule but it was applied correctly in both cases
also this

Watching the NFL is so much more enjoyable when you mute the TV and listen to music instead.  All color commentators are hard to listen to these days
Yeah.  I don't really mind Aikman and some of the lesser ones that stay a bit more subdued.  Guys like Romo, Gruden, and Collisworth are just trying to grab too much attention.  It is really annoying.

Dez caught the ball on the 6, took 3 steps, and lunged for the endzone.

Ertz caught the ball on the 6, took 3 steps, and lunged for the endzone.

Ertz was under a lot better control than Dez was, and his dive looked a lot more intentional than Dez's, but that's not mentioned in the rule anywhere.  It was absolutely within the bounds of where the NFL could have botched it.  They got it right this time, thank goodness, but if you weren't nervous when they were looking it over then you've been living with your head in the sand for the last 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread