What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (1 Viewer)

Some contract numbers:

Richard Sherman’s deal includes a $5M signing bonus, plus $2M base salary, $2M in 46-man roster bonuses, $1M playtime incentive and $3M Pro Bowl incentive in 2018. So #49ers get protection, and Sherman gets upside to beat his #Seahawks deal if he plays well. Win-win.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/972666964668747776

Looks like another Marathe special.  Glad we have him to help guide these contracts.

Tweet:

Kyle Juszczyk✔@JuiceCheck44

I take back anything disrespectful I might have said to you in our games before @RSherman_25 :D  Welcome to the squad!!

8:30 PM - Mar 10, 2018

:lmao:

49ers fans always say Seahawks fans are this and that, you guys give packers fans a run for their money on whining.  This is just from one thread, imagine the tragedy 49ers fans have projected in other fans through the years.  You lost @False Start who I'm guessing is a 5Dongs alias, but what a diary of desperation.  This is just a few posts, there are thousands of these. This included Wingnut hoping ITS killed himself, wow.  Just wow.  

It's sports man, be cool.  :bye:
The last statement is rich coming from you. 

I hope Jimmy G burns him several times this year.

Report: Aqib Talib rejected trade to 49ers before agreeing to trade to Rams

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/11/17106224/aqib-talib-trade-rumors-49ers-richard-sherman

Earlier this week, the Denver Broncos traded cornerback Aqib Talib to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for a 2018 fifth round pick. There had been some rumored interest from the San Francisco 49ers, but no further word. Now, ESPN’s Adam Schefter is offering a bit of intriguing news. According to Schefter, the 49ers and Broncos agreed to a trade but Talib said he would not report to Santa Clara.

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter

An example of how simple decisions this week affect players, teams and futures.
Aqib Talib rejected a trade that was agreed to between Denver and SF; wouldn’t report. He later is traded to LA.
So SF doesn’t get its CB, Richard Sherman is released and he winds up in SF.

9:52 AM - Mar 11, 2018

The 49ers entered the offseason with a serious need at cornerback. They had Ahkello Witherspoon outside and K’Waun Williams in the slot, but nothing else of note. There was some thought the team would go heavy after Trumaine Johnson, or might invest a high draft pick in the position. Instead, they were aggressive in trying to secure the position before free agency began.

John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan will get a chance to comment on this at some point in the next month or two. Sherman might get an introductory press conference (as opposed to just a conference call), and Lynch and Shanahan will likely be involved in a free agency press conference. Add in the coaches’ breakfast at the March owners’ meetings, and there will be plenty of opportunities to hear their reasoning for being so aggressive now.

Maybe they don’t trust the money it would cost to land Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler. Maybe they don’t think the top of the draft board is worth the investment for a cornerback. They clearly had a strategy in mind given this news about their pursuit of Talib.

Last edited by a moderator:
Full contract details for Sherman: https://overthecap.com/player/richard-sherman/1565/

After reading more on this I think it was a pretty good deal for the Niners.  Low risk with good upside.  Shouldn't preclude them from signing another starting caliber CB IMO. 

Florio has a nice breakdown on it here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/11/the-real-richard-sherman-numbers/

The full guarantee at signing is $3 million, and only $3 million. Another $4 million should be earned in 2018, if he passes the preseason physical. After that, it’s up to the 49ers as to whether the deal continues into 2019.

The full base value of the deal is $21.15 million, with another $18 million tied to per-game roster bonuses, annual 90-percent playing-time incentives, an annual Pro Bowl incentive, and an annual All-Pro incentive.

To get the full $39.15 million, Sherman will need to play all 48 regular-season games over the next three years, be on the field for at least 90 percent of the snaps, make it to the Pro Bowl every year, and qualify for the All-Pro team every year.

ETA: Interesting insight from Peter King on how it went down: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-san-francisco-49ers-john-lynch-mmqb-peter-king

Oh man this would be a huge signing!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/114408-49ers-linked-free-agent-guard-andrew-norwell/

For some time, it was assumed that former Carolina Panthers guard Andrew Norwell is headed to the New York Giants. According to a report by Art Stapleton of NorthJersey.com, the San Francisco 49ers have been "linked" to the top guard in free agency.

Art Stapleton✔@art_stapleton

Already hearing this morning 49ers linked to Andrew Norwell in addition to Giants, so don't buy into idea that it's just a formality.

11:17 AM - Mar 12, 201

Norwell, who is just 26 years old, was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State by the Panthers in 2014. The Giants are viewed as the leading candidate to land Norwell because of general manager Dave Gettleman. He held the same role with Carolina when Norwell signed in 2014.

Norwell was named a first-team All-Pro in 2017 and has started all but one of his 55 game appearances over his four NFL seasons, including 16 starts in each of the last two seasons. He did not allow a sack and was Pro Football Focus' third-highest graded guard in 2017. In 2016, Norwell allowed just two sacks for the season.

Oh man this would be a huge signing!

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/114408-49ers-linked-free-agent-guard-andrew-norwell/

For some time, it was assumed that former Carolina Panthers guard Andrew Norwell is headed to the New York Giants. According to a report by Art Stapleton of NorthJersey.com, the San Francisco 49ers have been "linked" to the top guard in free agency.

Art Stapleton✔@art_stapleton

Already hearing this morning 49ers linked to Andrew Norwell in addition to Giants, so don't buy into idea that it's just a formality.

11:17 AM - Mar 12, 201

Norwell, who is just 26 years old, was signed as an undrafted free agent out of Ohio State by the Panthers in 2014. The Giants are viewed as the leading candidate to land Norwell because of general manager Dave Gettleman. He held the same role with Carolina when Norwell signed in 2014.

Norwell was named a first-team All-Pro in 2017 and has started all but one of his 55 game appearances over his four NFL seasons, including 16 starts in each of the last two seasons. He did not allow a sack and was Pro Football Focus' third-highest graded guard in 2017. In 2016, Norwell allowed just two sacks for the season.
Hate the thought of paying that much for a guard, but that would be a massive upgrade for the OL. 

Then imagine if the Garnett project pans out and he becomes a B level guard.  Hey, it's the season for dreaming.....................

Hate the thought of paying that much for a guard, but that would be a massive upgrade for the OL. 

Then imagine if the Garnett project pans out and he becomes a B level guard.  Hey, it's the season for dreaming.....................
Spending money to protect the franchise QB is money well spent IMO, especially with the amount of cap space we have.

https://twitter.com/wyche89/status/973269395211542528

Steve Wyche mentioning John Lynch said they were not going after any of the "splash names" in FA. Saying more than likely to add a few "marginal type FA's."

Hope he's playing it close to the vest here.  Adding a 30 year old broken Sherman is fine since it's a cheap prove-it deal, but we need starters / upgrades at numerous positions.  Leaving FA with Sherman and some backup guard and CB/WR would be disappointing when sitting on 60+ million in cap space.  They can't really be putting all their eggs in the Sherman basket to solve for their lack of a starting CB can they?

49ers announce pair of roster moves

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Announce-a-Pair-of-Roster-Moves/c22fd2b8-acae-452c-ae4e-276a1685a4da

The San Francisco 49ers announced on Monday they have signed P Jeff Locke to a one-year deal and RB Raheem Mostert has signed his one-year exclusive rights tender.

Locke (6-0, 207) was originally drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the fifth round (155th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft. In four seasons with the Vikings (2013-16), he appeared in 64 games where he registered 290 punts for 12,535 yards (43.2 average), a 38.7 net average and 101 punts downed inside the 20-yard line.

Locke signed with the Indianapolis Colts as a free agent on March 10, 2017. After spending training camp with the Colts, he was released by the team on August 28, 2017 and later signed with Detroit on September 12, 2017. He appeared in five games with the Lions and punted 27 times for 1,222 yards (45.3 average), a net average of 42.2 and 11 punts downed inside the 20-yard line before his release on October 24, 2017.

A 28-year-old native of Glendale, AZ, Locke attended UCLA, where he appeared in 53 games and finished his collegiate career ranked second in school history in punts (275), punting yards (12,163) and punting average (44.2). Locke was a three-time All-Pac 12 selection for the Bruins (First-Team – 2012; Second-Team – 2009-10).

Mostert (5-10, 197) was tendered a one-year contract as an exclusive rights free agent on March 9, 2018. He appeared in each of the team’s first 11 games of the 2017 season and finished with six carries for 30 yards while adding a team-high eight special teams tackles.

https://twitter.com/wyche89/status/973269395211542528

Steve Wyche mentioning John Lynch said they were not going after any of the "splash names" in FA. Saying more than likely to add a few "marginal type FA's."

Hope he's playing it close to the vest here.  Adding a 30 year old broken Sherman is fine since it's a cheap prove-it deal, but we need starters / upgrades at numerous positions.  Leaving FA with Sherman and some backup guard and CB/WR would be disappointing when sitting on 60+ million in cap space.  They can't really be putting all their eggs in the Sherman basket to solve for their lack of a starting CB can they?
Just saw Lynch say "Are we taking some risk? Sure...hes got one ruptured achilles, and another achilles where theyve done some work...so is there some risk on our side, absolutely,  but we tried to make it such that if he returns to being Richard Sherman, hes gonna do just fine."

They know hes not a sure thing, theyll still add another CB, could be FA, could be draft.

Love this signing.  Throught it was off the table after they resigned Kilgore. Hope they still sign or draft a guard and use Richburg at center. 

Sitton please. 

Love this signing.  Throught it was off the table after they resigned Kilgore. Hope they still sign or draft a guard and use Richburg at center. 

Sitton please. 
Never heard of Richburg, reactions are mixed, guess we will see.

I'm still not comfortable with the O-line as of now.

Never heard of Richburg, reactions are mixed, guess we will see.

I'm still not comfortable with the O-line as of now.
He was talked about heavily as a target before the Kilgore signing. Excellent pass blocker. Definitely needs to be played at center, not guard. 

Seems a better Fit in the zone blocking system than in the power system.  Huge upgrade over Kilgore  

Robinson and Watkins also sign elsewhere.

This free agency stuff is crazy.
Steep drop off after Robinson/Watkins.  I'd expect SF to add some lesser name and will be interesting to see who they choose.  Guys like Lee, Moncrief, and Matthews all could be interesting in this offense. 

Robinson and Watkins also sign elsewhere.

This free agency stuff is crazy.
I never expected the niners to actually go out and buy high on a FA. Sherman is about as "big name" as it'll get and that came with some risks/incentives. To spend for big names has never been... Marathian.

I never expected the niners to actually go out and buy high on a FA. Sherman is about as "big name" as it'll get and that came with some risks/incentives. To spend for big names has never been... Marathian.
I thought theyd go for one of the better FA WRs on the market...Im actually OK if they dont, I like Garcon, Goodwin, and Taylor as starters and Kittle as our #1 TE...Bourne is intriguing and is only 22 years old, he could still develop. Id like a bigger body for the red zone though...of the remaining FAs, I like Moncrief.

They were never signing Robinson or Watkins.  Won't be surprised if they skip WR in FA, thinking draft more likely.  Hoping we grab some more CB depth.  I'm sure Richburg will play Center and will be an immediate upgrade over Kilgore.  Read that Shanahan values Tackles and Center more than Guard.  Guessing draft pick(s) plus Kilgore, Garnett, Tomlinson and Magnuson fight for the 2 guard spots.  Not sure how I feel about that...

We really need some more CB insurance.  Can't add just a rookie or two.  That would leave us with very little experience if Sherman craps out.

Would also like to see them take a flier on Eifert and McKinnon.

I thought theyd go for one of the better FA WRs on the market...Im actually OK if they dont, I like Garcon, Goodwin, and Taylor as starters and Kittle as our #1 TE...Bourne is intriguing and is only 22 years old, he could still develop. Id like a bigger body for the red zone though...of the remaining FAs, I like Moncrief.
I would love to see them get Moncrief on the cheap and then take a WR with their late 2nd or early 3rd pick. 

Hearing a lot of Giant fans calling Richburg a bust/average...looking at his stats, hes allowed 3 sacks in his 4 years. and 2 of those were in his rookie season in 2014. He allowed none is 2015, one in 2016, and he only played in 4 games last year after suffering a concussion in October and being placed on IR (not sure what thats all about).

4 sacks allowed in 4 years. Not too shabby!

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=27571

Hearing a lot of Giant fans calling Richburg a bust/average...looking at his stats, hes allowed 3 sacks in his 4 years. and 2 of those were in his rookie season in 2014. He allowed none is 2015, one in 2016, and he only played in 4 games last year after suffering a concussion in October and being placed on IR (not sure what thats all about).

4 sacks allowed in 4 years. Not too shabby!

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=27571
Lol, Giants fans just salty they lost out on what was supposed to be a "done deal" in Norwell.  Most of the analysis I have been reading says he's a great fit and should excel in our system.

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/973571276529917952

Pumped for Weston Richburg to the @49ers. Excellent fit for Shanahan’s offense. Will excel in a scheme where it’s more than down blocks and inside zone. Can also be a field general for Jimmy G.
https://twitter.com/BetterRivals/status/973574500112654336

Weston Richburg’s pass blocking efficiency at center has been consistently good. 2015: 3rd in NFL (98.5) 2016: 3rd in NFL (98.6) 2017: (through week 4): t-5th in NFL (98.6)
https://twitter.com/NeumannNFL/status/973595946398478336

Watching Richburg and it doesn’t take long to see why Shanahan would like him. Centers often have to make tough, key blocks on outside zone. Richburg has the movement skills to make them.
https://twitter.com/NeumannNFL/status/973610003826429970

Richburg should definitely benefit from the change in scheme in the run game. From what I’ve seen so far, think he’s much better on the move. Since 2015, the Giants have used zone runs at the 3rd-lowest rate (39.1%) and outside zone at the lowest (8.3%).
Some nice vid clips here: https://twitter.com/49ersHub?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Cardinals sign Bradford

Got to think they will be looking at QB in this draft.  Maybe a swap of our #9 for their #15 and we get their #47 (2nd round) and they get our 128th (4th round)?

Cardinals sign Bradford

Got to think they will be looking at QB in this draft.  Maybe a swap of our #9 for their #15 and we get their #47 (2nd round) and they get our 128th (4th round)?
Earlier today I thought Buffalo would sign him. They're gonna be trading up to grab a QB too I think.

Ets: they'e negotiating with Bridgewater right now 

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Former Colts' WR Donte Moncrief intends to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars, per source. Staying in AFC South.

I think we should just grab a WR in the draft, screw all this FA nonsense.

chinawildman said:
I'd like to see them get Moncrief as well, but something tells me a 2yr contract for Eric Decker is more Paraag's speed...
Grrr...we don't need a little guy, we need a big red zone target.

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter

Former Colts' WR Donte Moncrief intends to sign with the Jacksonville Jaguars, per source. Staying in AFC South.

I think we should just grab a WR in the draft, screw all this FA nonsense.
Don't get this one for Moncrief.  They already have Lee, Westbrook, Cole and Hurns.  Maybe they plan to cut Hurns, but seems he would want to go somewhere with more opportunity and a better QB if he is doing a prove it type contract.

Saw him tied to the Ravens previous, which made a lot more sense

Jordy Nelson cut.  Great red zone target and seems a good fit with the rest of the receivers they have.

Probably too expensive though

Trumaine Johnson signs with the Jets.  15 million a year (no details yet).

Now I know why SF wasn't in on him.  A lot of money for somebody who isn't elite

Users who are viewing this thread