What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2018 San Francisco 49ers thread *** (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
A new day is dawning in 49er land, and heres where we start the ride! All aboard!!

2018 Draft

Round 1 (No. 9 overall) Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

Round 2  (No. 44 overall) Dante Pettis, WR/KR, Washington 

Round 3 (No. 70 overall) Fred Warner, LB, BYU

Round 3 (No 95 overall) Tarvarius Moore, S, Southern Miss

Round 4 (pick 128) Kentavius Street, DE, NC State

Round 5 (No. 142 overall) DJ Reed, CB, Kansas State

Round 6 (No. 184 overall) Marcell Harris, S, Florida

Round 7, (No. 223 overall) Julian Taylor, DE, Temple

Round 7, (No. 240 overall) Richie James, WR, Middle Tennessee St

Last edited by a moderator:
The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo have agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million contract, source says. The biggest deal in NFL history on a average-per-year basis.

oops.. SF409ers beat me to it. 

The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo have agreed to a five-year, $137.5 million contract, source says. The biggest deal in NFL history on a average-per-year basis.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/961668166211522561

:thumbup:
Excellent!

A lot of dough, but it's not my money, 49ers have the cap room and it's the price of doing business in today's NFL.

Hopefully, he will play at a level that makes this seem like a bargain in a couple years.....................

Gonna need more than Jimmy to win in SF. They have a ways to go. So Jimmy G gets all this money. Cousins has to get more.

Gonna need more than Jimmy to win in SF. They have a ways to go.
Thanks for the info, Capt Obvious. The good news is they have a  good coach, GM, and a crap ton of money left to address their other needs. And Im confident they will do just that.

San Fran is back, baby!

Maybe, we don't know how it's structured or how much is guaranteed.  Brockweiler contract was awful because it handcuffed them that second year when they were expected to be competitive.
Plus he got big money without flashing anywhere the type of ability that Garoppolo has shown.  Then he sucked which made it really awful...............

Garoppolo's  ability with Shanahan's coaching.  Money well spent..................

Thanks for the info, Capt Obvious. The good news is they have a  good coach, GM, and a crap ton of money left to address their other needs. And Im confident they will do just that.

San Fran is back, baby!
Thanks for being rude for no reason

7 career starts, and now is the highest paid player in league history.  That’s just nuts.
Like most fans I noticed his impact on wins and loses once he started, and like most fantasy football players I also checked his stats, but that said, I don't think I watched a total of 2 minutes of film on him.

Good luck to him.  I like the 49ers to be relevant.  I hope they will be.  Actually, I hope they will be at the expense of the Seahawks who should suffer until such time as Pete Carroll gets called back to hell.

You really think the team or fans think signing Jimmy was the only thing they needed to do to contend? How about let us fans celebrate this and not try to rain on the parade? TIA
You really think I said that? Learn to read, not assume. Good day, sir.

Like most fans I noticed his impact on wins and loses once he started, and like most fantasy football players I also checked his stats, but that said, I don't think I watched a total of 2 minutes of film on him.

Good luck to him.  I like the 49ers to be relevant.  I hope they will be.  Actually, I hope they will be at the expense of the Seahawks who shuld suffer until such time as Pete Carroll gets called back to hell.
You really do have to watch him in order to appreciate his game.  Does go way beyond stats.  To accomplish what he did with so little prep time and having Goodwin as his top receiver is pretty incredible.  Showed immediate leadership coming to a new team.  Teammates like and respect him.  He just has "it".  No other way to put it.

Love your Seahawk spin................LOL

Dammit. Reuben Foster arrested again. I think he may have just punched his ticket out of San Fran. After his last arrest Lynch came said he needed to straighten up. What a waste.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/2/11/17001952/reuben-foster-arrested-domestic-violence-bail-released

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster was arrested on Sunday and booked into the Santa Clara County jail on a charge related to domestic violence, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The San Francisco Chronicle is also reporting this news. The official booking slip will likely be available Monday morning.

The Santa Clara County Department of Corrections website lists Foster as having bail set at $75,000 and a source is reporting he has posted bail and is being released from jail.

This would mark Foster’s second arrest of the offseason. He was arrested in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in January for possession of marijuana. His bond in that incident was set at $2,500. That process is ongoing, both with the court and with the NFL discipline system. Recent precedent suggests he could face a one-game suspension for that arrest.

A domestic violence arrest will include its own NFL investigation and potential punishment. The league’s process does not require the same burden of proof as the courts, so a six-game suspension — the baseline for a first-time domestic violence offender — could be looming for Foster.

Last April, the 49ers cut cornerback Tramaine Brock less than 24 hours after he was arrested on allegations of domestic violence

49ers sign Daniel Kilgore to a 3 year extension

https://m.sfgate.com/49ers/article/49ers-sign-C-Daniel-Kilgore-to-3-year-extension-12614391.php

Less than a week after locking up their franchise quarterback, the 49ers secured the services of one of the players who will be charged with protecting their $137.5 million investment.

On Wednesday, six days after Jimmy Garoppolo signed a five-year deal, the 49ers signed center Daniel Kilgore to a three-year contract extension. Kilgore, 30, who was a pending free agent, is a 2011 fifth-round pick who is the team’s second-longest tenured member behind left tackle Joe Staley.

Last year, Kilgore started a career-high 16 games and won the team’s Bobb McKittrick Award, an honor voted on by his fellow offensive linemen which recognizes qualities such as courage and intensity.

“He is very much a leader of this team, and his hard work and commitment to our success provide a great example for our young team,” general manager John Lynch said. “When you come across players who love the game like Dan you do your best to keep them in your building.”

It’s notable that Garoppolo made a pitch to keep Kilgore in the building the day after the 49ers finished their 6-10 season.

“We got on the same page almost instantly when I first got here,” Garoppolo said on Jan. 1. “He made my job a lot easier; helping me with the run game and all that stuff. I think we complement each other well. Hopefully, we’ll work something out.”

Kilgore has bounced back from a broken left leg he sustained in October 2014, during his first season as a starter, that required two surgeries and left a metal plate and 12 screws in his leg. He was sidelined for 14 months, but has played in 34 of 37 games since his return in December 2015.

Interesting test case. the Niners seem to have started imposing a zero tolerance policy, but then again they’ve only applied it to players they didn’t particularly need.  
I didn’t like the way they cut Brock immediately but as you say, he was a player they didn’t need. 

Foster will get a longer leash as he should.  They will find out all the details before doing anything drastic.  Hope it turns out to be a minor issue.  Can be a great player and is fun to watch someone who obviously loves football as much as he does.  Obviously the knucklehead behavior has to stop.  Maybe getting suspended will be a wake up call for him.  

Somewhat surprising and very uninspiring. 

Hopefully he ends up as depth at center and guard this year, not as a starter. Will be interesting to see the money 
The advanced metrics from Pro Football Focus say Kilgore was a below-average center for most of last season...however:

Tweet: Jeff Deeney@PFF_Jeff

Rough beginning to season (especially Week 4 vs. AZ) left Kilgore with a 51.0 overall grade on the year, 23rd out of 35 centers. He was a Top 10 center in the five weeks Jimmy G was at the helm, not allowing a sack or QB hit. 

Alao, Jimmy has chemistry with him and wanted him to stay. If he plays like he did down the stretch, I think it could be a nice move with solid production for pretty cheap. Plus his teammates  gave him the  Bobb McKittrick Award  this year, so he's liked and respected in the locker room.

Will he be a pro bowler? Prob not, but I'd be ok if he plays like a top 10 center .

The advanced metrics from Pro Football Focus say Kilgore was a below-average center for most of last season...however:

Tweet: Jeff Deeney@PFF_Jeff

Rough beginning to season (especially Week 4 vs. AZ) left Kilgore with a 51.0 overall grade on the year, 23rd out of 35 centers. He was a Top 10 center in the five weeks Jimmy G was at the helm, not allowing a sack or QB hit. 

Alao, Jimmy has chemistry with him and wanted him to stay. If he plays like he did down the stretch, I think it could be a nice move with solid production for pretty cheap. Plus his teammates  gave him the  Bobb McKittrick Award  this year, so he's liked and respected in the locker room.

Will he be a pro bowler? Prob not, but I'd be ok if he plays like a top 10 center .
Not sure he was that much better with Jimmy but because Jimmy gets the ball out so quickly, sacks and hits we’re down across the whole line. 

I like Kilgore and all. Tough guy who battled back from a serious injury. Good teammate and wants to be part of turning the team around. Have faith Lynch and Shanahan know what they are doing. I’m sure the plan is to draft someone to compete and replace within a year so a good idea to have someone who knows the system in place during that process. 

Well he is a ufa. I doubt they franchise him. So hard to say. Tea leaves say hes gone. But thats just speculation and innuendo 
They for sure won’t franchise him. He says he wants to come back but my feeling is Shanahan wants a better receiver as his main RB. Hyde caught a lot of dump offs early in the season so his reception numbers look solid but he’s not a good receiver. 

50/50. Depends on money I think. I think someone  will offer him more than the 49ers are willing to pay. 

Back in the day seems to me people said the same thing when GB originally extended Aaron Rodgers.  Just sayin’
Yeah, similar in that both sat behind HOF QBs during the bulk of their rookie contracts and preformed at a high level immediately upon getting the starting job. 

No issue with the Garoppolo contract at all. He seemed confident in his value before he started a game. He knew somebody was going to pay him big money even if he sat the bench in SF.  Great that SF got to see a glimpse of what they were getting before they signed him. 

efactor said:
Not sure he was that much better with Jimmy but because Jimmy gets the ball out so quickly, sacks and hits we’re down across the whole line. 
Absolutely. But if Jimmy turns him into a top 10ish center, why not keep him...maybe grab a center in the draft, the last one we took was in round 3 in 2014 (Marcus Martin USC) and he didn't last long and is now a Cleveland Brown.

Absolutely. But if Jimmy turns him into a top 10ish center, why not keep him...maybe grab a center in the draft, the last one we took was in round 3 in 2014 (Marcus Martin USC) and he didn't last long and is now a Cleveland Brown.
 It’s crazy looking back at the last six years of drafts and how much we’ve invested in the offensive line and how many of them have absolutely failed and are no longer with the team. All that Scotty draft stock went for absolutely nothing. 

I put $50 on SF to win the Super Bowl next year, I was able to lock it in at 18-1 odds. Payout would be a cool $900. Odds have since dropped to 16-1 on the site I use.

5Rings said:
Back in the day seems to me people said the same thing when GB originally extended Aaron Rodgers.  Just sayin’

I addressed that in the other thread running about this.  Rodgers’ first extension was nowhere near what this contract is, either in magnitude nor in comparison with other QBs.

I addressed that in the other thread running about this.  Rodgers’ first extension was nowhere near what this contract is, either in magnitude nor in comparison with other QBs.
But it was a big contract before QBs were making base salaries of $20+ million a year. When he got that contract in 2008, the highest paid QB was Big Ben at 27million (signing bonus included that number), and the next 2 highest paid QBs were Jamarcus Russell at 16.9 million, and Tony Romo at 12.8 million.

So Rodgers getting $11/year with $20 million guaranteed in 2008 put him amongst the highest paid QBs at the time. Not quite Jimmy G contract level, but the point was Rodgers got a huge contract after 7 starts after being in a similar situation behind a HOFer and looking great when he got to start.

Niners win the flip and picking 9th...................

Lynch is just a winner in life.  Confident, looking sharp like a soon to be Hall of Famer should.  Outcome was never in doubt......................

Niners win the flip and picking 9th...................

Lynch is just a winner in life.  Confident, looking sharp like a soon to be Hall of Famer should.  Outcome was never in doubt......................
GM of the year next season.

GM of the year next season.
Man knows how to win a coin flip for sure.....................

We joke, but that was pretty significant since the Raiders are probably looking at the same two positions as the Niners, CB and LB. 

Users who are viewing this thread