What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Not so fast - Josh McDaniels backed out of the Colts job (1 Viewer)

From Schefter -  

In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with Josh McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice him to remain in New England, per sources. Bill Belichick has his OC back.

--

Any chance Kraft told him Bill is gone after next season? 

From Schefter -  

In the past 48 hours, Patriots owner Robert Kraft began talking with Josh McDaniels and ultimately wound up sweetening his contract, helping to entice him to remain in New England, per sources. Bill Belichick has his OC back.

--

Any chance Kraft told him Bill is gone after next season? 
 I'd rather coach luck than Brady less pats 

What does this mean for the assistants who had deals lined up, do they still have their old jobs (the non-Patriots)? 

This is not going to be looked upon kindly by the rest of the league. The introductory press conference was in a couple hours, jeez. He really screwed the Colts, no one will hire him now. Only thing that makes sense is that he was promised Belichick is gone soon and he's the HC-in-waiting. 

Some will try to spin this as being about Luck's shoulder, but no way did he just receive new info about that. 

Maybe he was promised complete control of personel, then they went and hired Eberflus without consulting him.  Had to quit then, on principle.

Might be the luckless colts too. Rumors of him not recovering well, hope they're wrong.
Everything I'm reading says he's doing very well and will begin throwing soon.  This has to be about BB retiring very soon.  McDaniels better hope he is the heir to BB's job because he just ruined his reputation with the rest of the league.  There were doubts about his ability anyway. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don’t blame mcdaniels. I’m of the school of thought that luck will never fully return to form. That franchise is a dumpster fire. If Kraft threw him a bucket of cash, he’s dumb to not make another title run or two. 

What does this mean for the assistants who had deals lined up, do they still have their old jobs (the non-Patriots)? 
Interesting. It seemed like Matt Eberflus was going to be the next DC in Dallas when Marinelli retires. He was supposed to go with McDaniels to Indy, and Dallas just brought in Richard from Seattle to replace him

I personally think Bill is gone this offseason. 

Jonathan Kraft has stated this is Brady's team and can retire when ever he wants.

Bill traded QB depth for peanuts.

Bill, Tom and Kraft had issues earlier this season.

Bill treatment of Butler was unjustified.

It's no longer Bill's team anymore.

I honestly don’t blame mcdaniels. I’m of the school of thought that luck will never fully return to form. That franchise is a dumpster fire. If Kraft threw him a bucket of cash, he’s dumb to not make another title run or two. 
I don't think the Colts are a dumpster fire at all.  I actually like Ballard.  Also, the word on Luck is good right now.  McDaniels is either afraid to be a HC or BB is ready to retire very soon.  Also, no one remembers the offensive coordinators when a team wins the SB ;)

I don't think the Colts are a dumpster fire at all.  I actually like Ballard.  Also, the word on Luck is good right now.  McDaniels is either afraid to be a HC or BB is ready to retire very soon.  Also, no one remembers the offensive coordinators when a team wins the SB ;)
The colts are 4-12 and per sagarin, they were the 2nd worst franchise next to the browns.... and I don’t care what the “word is”. “The word” had been he’s about to start throwing in a week or two for the better part of a year now. Forgive me if I’m skeptical :lol:   

I do think he's staying to be the heir apparent, but I don't think this means no other team would ever hire him. I remember Billy Donavan doing the same thing to the Magic and it didn't stop him from getting the Thunder job a few years later

I personally think Bill is gone this offseason. 

Jonathan Kraft has stated this is Brady's team and can retire when ever he wants.

Bill traded QB depth for peanuts.

Bill, Tom and Kraft had issues earlier this season.

Bill treatment of Butler was unjustified.

It's no longer Bill's team anymore.
:no:

Why would he want to try to follow BB? That's a lot of high expectations. He coulda gone 8-8 his first year here in Indy and taken no heat. 

Odds more in favor of BB retiring.
I don't see BB retiring for at least another two years.   I think McDaniel wants to stick with the Patriots.   They will be SB favorites as the 2018 season starts.  McDanirls is young and knows he will have plenty of HC opportunities.  

I think BB didn't want to do Josh the way Parcells did him in New York. 

BB probably told Kraft he was a short timer and Kraft opened up his wallet.

Why would he want to try to follow BB? That's a lot of high expectations. He coulda gone 8-8 his first year here in Indy and taken no heat. 
Yeah, following the best coach in NFL history without the best QB in NFL history seems beyond foolish.

And I'm with the crowd that thinks that there is no way he gets another HC offer unless he is straight up fired by NE. Probably not even then.

IMO, this is a horrible decision by McDaniels.

According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, Josh McDaniels' assistants, including DC Matt Eberflus, signed contracts with the Colts and are expected to remain with Indianapolis.

Talk about awkward. So, basically what's happening here, is McDaniels recruited these coaches to Indianapolis to be apart of his Colts staff, and then McDaniels backed out of the job, leaving Eberflus and others in limbo. According to Garafolo, Eberflus and others have already been in the building in Indy, breaking down film and whatever else, while they waited for McDaniels to officially be introduced. Now, the new Colts coach will be stuck with assistants he didn't hire. This whole situation is a complete mess with no real end game in sight.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Feb 6 - 8:22 PM

Can't believe it's just about Patriot money and a chance to win another Super Bowl or two as an OC.  The guy is young and talented enough to make his mark elsewhere.  He'll carry this rep around the league for a little while; particularly if it's just about more money or a better chance to win.  Which owner would want to hire a guy like that?

Only way this makes sense for McDaniels is if BB is a short timer.  Maybe BB and/or TB have made it known to those who need to know that next year is their Last Ride. 

Rumors are McDaniel's saw results of Lucks recent shoulder  MRI.

Users who are viewing this thread