What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Texas Rangers 2018 Thread *** (1 Viewer)

this feels like a make-or-break year for Mgr Banister and perhaps even GM Daniels.

i've been a big Daniels supporter, but the past few years have left me scratching my head.

Off-topic, but kind of on topic. Paid for a subscription for The Athletic DFW this week as after almost 20 years, Jamey Newberg is moving The Newberg Report behind a paywall. I don't blame him, the guys pours a ton of time and effort into almost daily writing during the Rangers season. Will continue to read and mention things here as they seem important.

I'm just not sure how this team can stay competitive with what the pitching staff is shaping up to look like.  And there's really no one close in the pipeline either.  I'd consider this season a success if Gallo/Odor/Mazara can just establish themselves as somewhat elite talents, feels like forever since we produced a homegrown talent.  Last one was who, Kinsler?

our local high school baseball team (Keller) is holding an online auction with some pretty cool Rangers memoriabilia and experiences, including one with dinner with Jeff Banister (who lives here)..

KHS Baseball

Jim Bowden's Top 50 prospects only has two Rangers in the top 50: Leody Taveras at 36 and Willie Calhoun at 47. Calhoun will most likely be in Arlington Opening Day, so that really leaves only one prospect.

When the Rangers are good, it's fun. When the Rangers were bad in the past, at least you could look to a long list of upcoming impact rookies. We might not get either this year.

Jim Bowden's Top 50 prospects only has two Rangers in the top 50: Leody Taveras at 36 and Willie Calhoun at 47. Calhoun will most likely be in Arlington Opening Day, so that really leaves only one prospect.

When the Rangers are good, it's fun. When the Rangers were bad in the past, at least you could look to a long list of upcoming impact rookies. We might not get either this year.
:sadbanana:

Turns out Cole Hamels, Matt Moore and Doug Fister all hate the idea of a 6-man rotation. I know if I had an extra day off each week, I would love it.
Matt Moore and Doug Fister should be happy they’re in any sort of rotation at all.

While Jamey Newberg is behind The Athletic paywall, Scott Lucas is still doing great work on the Ranger Minor League system for free.

Great Google Document showing the full Texas Rangers Organization Charts. From the big leagues down through Rookie Ball, every player in the system. Spreadsheet includes:

40-man roster – Mine is arranged by when each player was added and contains hard-to-find information on past and remaining options. 
Organization Chart – Every player from the Rangers down to the rookie level.
Out of Org – Every player released, traded, lost to waivers and free agency, etc.
Rule 5 – Eligibility status for (nearly) every player in the organization, excluding the annual influx of veteran AAA depth and most youngsters in the Dominican Republic.
Longevity – Who’s been in the organization the longest?
Staff/Corporate – A summary of executive and coaching personnel throughout the system.
AAA Affiliation -- Texas is almost certain to lose its affiliation with Round Rock after 2018. I've created a sheet with commentary on every potential destination. The truth is, despite 29 others AAA teams, Texas has very few realistic opportunities next year, probably no more than four. 
Disclaimer -- Just a mention that I don't work for the Rangers or any of their affiliates. My info shouldn't be considered official. Feel free to correct me if you see a mistake.

IM GOING TO OPENING DAY!

A major construction firm is hosting a tailgate and watchparty for opening day and I'll be there.  Woot, baseball!

IM GOING TO OPENING DAY!

A major construction firm is hosting a tailgate and watchparty for opening day and I'll be there.  Woot, baseball!
Have a blast. I'm in Vegas that day otherwise I would be there. Hope springs eternal on opening day.

Have a blast. I'm in Vegas that day otherwise I would be there. Hope springs eternal on opening day.
Gonna be a race between my O's and the Rangers for when that hope is inevitable dashed. 

My Mets have a shot... until some hemorhagic leg cramp takes out half their team. 

1B Ronald Guzman will be recalled to replace Elvis Andrus. Looks like the Rangers are going to roll with Joey Gallo in the OF.

Texas has officially signed Cuban OF Julio Pablo Martinez. Both Baseball America and MLB.com deem him Texas's third-best prospect (behind Willie Calhoun and Leody Taveras). BA places him 60th overall, MLB.com 70th. He turned 22 last month. 

Users who are viewing this thread