What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games *** (1 Viewer)

Sure did. I guess nobody really cares about curling, so they get that out of the way.

nbcsports is streaming it
Curling is actually among my favorites. If there is one Olympic sport I might have ever had a shot to compete in, it's probably curling. I always imagined that if I was ever curling in the Olympics, I would definitely make a ridiculous face every time I launched out of the blocks to slide a rock. In this day and age, I'd be an internet sensation for a week, guaranteed. 

Watched USA vs RUS and CAN vs NOR last night. Love these mixed doubles matches. Much more interesting than the 4 man team traditional stuff. 

CAN really blew it in the last to ends. Stupid Canadians. 

Love the Olympics!!!

Tried curling a couple times and it could be a way better drinking sport than slow pitch softball. The pain in the glutes the day after from doing the slide is a real struggle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curling is actually among my favorites. If there is one Olympic sport I might have ever had a shot to compete in, it's probably curling. I always imagined that if I was ever curling in the Olympics, I would definitely make a ridiculous face every time I launched out of the blocks to slide a rock. In this day and age, I'd be an internet sensation for a week, guaranteed. 
I thought the same thing.  Easy to say you played, but it's ridiculously difficult to be good at.  My friend took me to the local ice rink when they were doing this.  The pain in my legs the next day was excruciating.  I fell like 50 times trying to sweep the ice.  The rock isn't that hard to get used to.  It's the other stuff.

Sort of like trying to pick up golf at age 40.  Looks simple and maybe you can hit the ball a bit.  But to the pros, you look like a buffoon.

I thought the same thing.  Easy to say you played, but it's ridiculously difficult to be good at.  My friend took me to the local ice rink when they were doing this.  The pain in my legs the next day was excruciating.  I fell like 50 times trying to sweep the ice.  The rock isn't that hard to get used to.  It's the other stuff.

Sort of like trying to pick up golf at age 40.  Looks simple and maybe you can hit the ball a bit.  But to the pros, you look like a buffoon.
I can imagine.  I just meant if you started playing at a very young age, you might have a shot if you have a good mind for what shot to play and the accuracy to pull it off.  No matter how hard I tried, I was never going to be in the 100m track finals. 

The one time I tried it, I was so drunk that on one of my throws my stone went off course and hit the sidewall. That's essentially the equivalent of shooting a free throw and not just airballing it, but hitting a cheerleader on the sidelines.

The big curling events are, unsurprisingly, huge parties.  The local club where my friends curl has actually produced olympic athletes though, and there was a woman competing in the finals of the qualifiers who had curled for a time at their club in the past year or so.

I started curling this year. It is hard as #### to be good at it unless you play several times a week, IMO. I play for two hours every Monday night, and in those two hours, I only get to throw a dozen stones or so (we only make it to 6 or 7 ends). Pretty hard to get good at something with such little practice. I do get seriously hammered each week though and have yet to slip on the ice.

The one time I tried it, I was so drunk that on one of my throws my stone went off course and hit the sidewall. That's essentially the equivalent of shooting a free throw and not just airballing it, but hitting a cheerleader on the sidelines.

The big curling events are, unsurprisingly, huge parties.  The local club where my friends curl has actually produced olympic athletes though, and there was a woman competing in the finals of the qualifiers who had curled for a time at their club in the past year or so.
:lmao:

Great mental image....

Love the chaos of short track speed skating!
:thumbup:  
The NBC Olympic Channel carried the Short Track World Cup season, which also determined the number of qualifying slots each country got at the Olympics.  Each city was a delightful mix of adrenaline and chaos.  Expect the same at the Olympics.  And lots of Koreans on the podium, representing Korea and other nations.  

The NBC Olympic Channel carried the Short Track World Cup season, which also determined the number of qualifying slots each country got at the Olympics.  Each city was a delightful mix of adrenaline and chaos.  Expect the same at the Olympics.  And lots of Koreans on the podium, representing Korea and other nations.  
The Olympic channel is my late-night go-to the past year or so.  Short track will be a blast. I'm also looking forward to men's and women's alpine skiing and the men's biathlon.

YOU CAN'T COMPARE ERAS THAT EASILY - for starters, it's all indoor competitions now, no more sweeping in the elements - oh, and yoga ike pantaloons in lieu of skirts and thermals for the gals - plus i hear tell that the puck thingies are much more aerodynamic these days. 
Yes, need to take in consideration the dead-stone era.

At least if Bob Costas comes down with an eye infection in the next two weeks, now no one will know.  

Wife is all psyched for figure skating tonight. 

There had better be some ####### curling on one of the alternate channels.
11 year old me (1980) discovered that ABC stood for Amazing Butt Cheeks, as i enjoyed the enchanting Linda Fratienne and her frilly lil' skirts ...that lovely #### of hers truly was a miracle on ice  - "DO YOU BELIEVE IN BONERS??!?!?? YES!!!1!1!!"

:thumbup:   I'll have to look for that... 

Did you read the article on Maame Biney?  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/01/23/feature/u-s-olympian-maame-bineys-short-track-speedskating-journey-from-ghana-to-pyeongchang/?utm_term=.7c5b6347d2ae

11 year old me (1980) discovered that ABC stood for Amazing Butt Cheeks, as i enjoyed the enchanting Linda Fratienne and her frilly lil' skirts ...that lovely #### of hers truly was a miracle on ice  - "DO YOU BELIEVE IN BONERS??!?!?? YES!!!1!1!!"
Fair enough, although with so many countries sending seemingly 14YO skaters, I feel a bit safer enjoying curling.

Also the women's alpine skiing on the Olympic Channel the last few days has been quite enjoyable.

The worst part of the Olympics for me is when you realize how many of these athletes live and train in the US. Overall, not the end of the world but kinda lame anyways. 

Users who are viewing this thread