What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Tannehill thoughts (1 Viewer)

knole

Footballguy
Are there any Dolphins fan that have a feeling on how the qb situation will pan out going into next year in Miami?  Do yo believe Tannehill will be the guy starting the season next year even if they use a high pick on a QB.  I think they owe him a lot of money this year.  Plus the coach gave him the dreaded he is our quarterback quote.  I am trying to get ahead of this because I own him in some dynasty leagues but I really haven’t found much info.  Thanks!

Are there any Dolphins fan that have a feeling on how the qb situation will pan out going into next year in Miami?  Do yo believe Tannehill will be the guy starting the season next year even if they use a high pick on a QB.  I think they owe him a lot of money this year.  Plus the coach gave him the dreaded he is our quarterback quote.  I am trying to get ahead of this because I own him in some dynasty leagues but I really haven’t found much info.  Thanks!
I'm not a Dolphins' fan but I do not see many options for the Phins other than heading into the season with Tannehill as the starter. Cutler was a mess and Moore is a FA. I reckon they could go out and sign one of the decent free agent QBs that will be available to them but are any outside of Cousins clear cut upgrades?

As far as you owning him in dynasty leagues, I'm not sure what good any information is going to do for you anyway. Hopefully you are not relying on him as your starter, because if you are, either way you need to upgrade. If you are hoping to try and trade him in order to get out in front of him being replaced, good luck with that. No one is going to offer anything of any significance even after he survives free agency and the draft - but especially now. At best you may get a late third round pick, but even that is highly doubtful. His value has very little chance of climbing even after FA and the draft or if he has a good opening week, so if you're worried you may as well get whatever you can at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried to buy him cheap but there have been no takers. With Landry likely out the door (I don't buy his recent positive comments as anything other then trying to raise his market) they will need to get him some quality options at receiver or it could get ugly. I don't see the Dolphins going another direction, but will be be a viable fantasy QB? 

I have tried to buy him cheap but there have been no takers. With Landry likely out the door (I don't buy his recent positive comments as anything other then trying to raise his market) they will need to get him some quality options at receiver or it could get ugly. I don't see the Dolphins going another direction, but will be be a viable fantasy QB? 
Did you mean "sell" because the rest of your posts makes it seem like you don't believe in him.

I'm a Dolphins fan and I don't see them starting the season with another QB. With that said, I am not a believer in Tannehill, never have been. I don't see any FAs outside of Cousins that would be worth going after. I would not mind Cousins, but I doubt they pursue him.

I was trying to get him as a discount due to these concerns and this potential upside. 
I guess I am missing the upside part. His highest fantasy ranking has been QB9 in 5 seasons (not counting last year). On a PPG basis from 2012-2016, he ranked 24th. At his same rate of production over those years he would have ranked as QB19 last year. No MIA QB from 2017 even cracked the Top 32 QB's in ppg. What is the upside for Tannehill that I seem to be missing???

I guess I am missing the upside part. His highest fantasy ranking has been QB9 in 5 seasons (not counting last year). On a PPG basis from 2012-2016, he ranked 24th. At his same rate of production over those years he would have ranked as QB19 last year. No MIA QB from 2017 even cracked the Top 32 QB's in ppg. What is the upside for Tannehill that I seem to be missing???
I never said he was an elite Fantasy QB. I seem him as decent depth as maybe a 3rd Dynasty QB with upside given that he still has many years if he turns things around. 

I never said he was an elite Fantasy QB. I seem him as decent depth as maybe a 3rd Dynasty QB with upside given that he still has many years if he turns things around. 
If it's a start 1 QB 12-14 team league, no need to carry 3 unless one is a rookie with great potential. Tannehill is wasted roster space at that point IMO

If it's a start 1 QB 12-14 team league, no need to carry 3 unless one is a rookie with great potential. Tannehill is wasted roster space at that point IMO
Fair Enough, but as an Owner who lost LUCK, WATSON, and WENTZ in the same year in one league, I'll never take depth for granted at the position again. I had to win a championship with DREW STANTON as my QB the last 3 weeks of play. Given this, I'd rather have a #3 QB then a scrub WR/RB that likely won't make an impact. We can agree to disagree :)

Thanks for the dialogue guys.  I do have him in a full dynasty salary cap start two qb league were ever qb is taken and golden.  I may have to use my first round rookie pick on a qb or make a trade if I don’t think he wil pan out.  I would like to not have to go down that road.  I am also in another auction League were you can keep any player for 9 auction dollars minimum(which he would go for) or one dollar more than he went for last year.  Most bad qbs go for 15-22 in the auction so I could have a potential deal or could lose 5 percent of my cap.  None of this is make or break stuff but is why I love dynasty formats so much.  I have been a footballguys member for years and never really post.  Thanks for the feedback.

hoffman0001 said:
Fair Enough, but as an Owner who lost LUCK, WATSON, and WENTZ in the same year in one league, I'll never take depth for granted at the position again. I had to win a championship with DREW STANTON as my QB the last 3 weeks of play. Given this, I'd rather have a #3 QB then a scrub WR/RB that likely won't make an impact. We can agree to disagree :)
In extreme cases like that, I will shut up lol

Magic_Man said:
Tannehill could be top 20 pretty easily. 

Well looks like I posted the last post on this 6 months ago. How are people feeling about Tanny now?

Well looks like I posted the last post on this 6 months ago. How are people feeling about Tanny now?
Undervalued. He is at least a mediocre qb2 for 2018, which is something. Nobody in fantasy gives the guy any chance. The assumed Dolphins catastrophic collapse may not happen at all. His throw-away price leaves no risk but moderate immediate reward if he even does as well as he did pre injury. Perfect player for the qb committee. 

Users who are viewing this thread