What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#metoo Movement (1 Viewer)

I support every person who's been sexually assaulted and would love to see harsher penalties for those hurting other people that way.

Gotta be careful though and not get into a pattern of everyone guilty who is accused. It makes a very tough, delicate line to walk but that always has to be considered too.
What if they're accused by 19 different people, many of whose stories are verified by journalists who find corroboration, and also their stories perfectly fit the accused person's own description of his behavior in a conversation captured by a hot mic as well as a broader lifelong attitude of misogyny?  Can we draw reasonable conclusions at that point?

I support every person who's been sexually assaulted and would love to see harsher penalties for those hurting other people that way.

Gotta be careful though and not get into a pattern of everyone guilty who is accused. It makes a very tough, delicate line to walk but that always has to be considered too.
Yea...ok.  That's not what is happening here.   

What do you always feel the need to lessen the charges by throwing #### out like this?

Another unreadable thread is this subforum. 

Someone starts a thread about one of the leaders of this movement.

The first 10 posts? TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP !!!!!!!!1111!!1

Congrats?   ?

Cowboysfan8 said:
I exaggerated a little , sue me. What are the majority of the posts about in this thread, the topic in the title or POTUS?
The title is a movement that has ties to POTUS. So speaking of Trump and alleged sexual abuse is actually on topic

You guys should really take an hour or two out of your lives once in awhile to forget about Trump and enjoy life a little.

Has to suck to think of nothing else all day every day.  :(
So...a straw man attempt at belittling others is your answer to what was posted?  That seems rather off topic.

So April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month.  

Looking forward to KD starting a thread featuring a video of a 12 year old throwing a pencil at his teacher.

Gr00vus said:
Can you post how you were victimized?
Right out of college in my first job I was goosed and subjected to lewd comments by a female superior.  Years later, Iwas threatened by a female HR manager whose advances I had been declining that she could ruin me.  Also, a known homosexual male manager made a lewd advance in an elevator.  

#metoo

Right out of college in my first job I was goosed and subjected to lewd comments by a female superior.  Years later, Iwas threatened by a female HR manager whose advances I had been declining that she could ruin me.  Also, a known homosexual male manager made a lewd advance in an elevator.  

#metoo
You must be irresistibly hawt.  But seriously, sorry that all happened.

GROOT said:
oh cmon Bill Clinton isn't that bad
I never voted for him, and wouldn't vote for him if he ran now if you're trying to imply that I'm a Bill Clinton supporter.  Not knowing what I know now I thought he was a pretty good politician.

Dickies said:
Translation: Must be careful labeling Trump as guilty, but all the other accused are confirmed and proven.
If Trump is found guilty is sexually assaulting someone, I'll be right there with you on ousting him from the White House I promise you.

eurotrashman said:
Yea...ok.  That's not what is happening here.   

What do you always feel the need to lessen the charges by throwing #### out like this?
it happens, absolutely

if I told you a female patient of a dentist told her mom that the dentist sexually molested here, what would you say? I'm serious - tell me how you'd handle that

Bruce Dickinson said:
How many of the 19 women we currently know of who accuse Trump of sexually assaulting them need to be telling the truth for you to believe them?  How many of the stories need to be true to reconsider whether Trump is capable of running the country or not?
bring each one of them up, lets discuss them if you want to

Bill Clinton ran the country well do you agree? 

Cowboysfan8 said:
Someone starts a thread about one of the leaders of this movement.
That’s not what the title suggests. I thought this thread was about the movement itself. I really don’t care about one of its leaders being hypocritical, that has no bearing on the movement itself, which I believe is revolutionary. It’s changing us as a society like no other recent non-technological phenomenon that I can think of. The social changes as a result of what’s going on can barely be comprehended. 

Which brings us back to Donald Trump. I get your objection to the focus on him Cowboy, but as it happens he is emblematic of everything this movement is trying to defeat: a man who has spent his whole life mistreating and objectifying women, who has used his role as a power figure to abuse them. And at the same time at least part of the public, knowing this, either chose to ignore it, or welcomed the fact, and elected this man President. This dichotomy means he’s always going to be central to this discussion. You’d better get used to that, or don’t bother to participate.

With regard to Bill Clinton, I believe that if he were the President right now the Democratic Party would force him to resign as they forced Al Franken to resign, or impeach him. Times have changed since the 90s, they’ve changed since Harvey Weinstein in particular. The Democrats will no longer tolerate mistreatment of women. 

As in every other social issue, the Republicans are a little slower. In ten years or so they will be right where the Democrats are now and bristle at the idea that it ever was otherwise. But between now and then Republicans are going to suffer major blows to their reputation over this, especially while Trump is President. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He openly admitted to it.  You could even say he boasted about it.
Wilt Chamberlain supposedly had 20,000 women .......... FYI he didn't hit on them all, many went to him looking for luvin

Women do that with wealthy men, rock stars, famous people ....... that's what Trump was referring to IMO, the women just let him do it. Wilt had 20,000 similar women 

Wilt Chamberlain supposedly had 20,000 women .......... FYI he didn't hit on them all, many went to him looking for luvin

Women do that with wealthy men, rock stars, famous people ....... that's what Trump was referring to IMO, the women just let him do it. Wilt had 20,000 similar women 
Figures you would use Wilt Chamberlain as some sort of standard to judge and compare Trump to.

This is literally the issue that started the Me Too movement.  Now we've come full circle.

"We need to stop these men like Bill Clinton from using their power to sexually assault women"

"Yea, we all agree on that, so why did you elect a serial sexual assaulter as POTUS?"

"None of the almost 20 allegations are proven, but if they are I will be sure to speak up against him"

"He openly admitted to it and bragged about it"

"Well, he is rich and powerful so women let him sexually assault them and are too afraid to speak out"

Figures you would use Wilt Chamberlain as some sort of standard to judge and compare Trump to.l
I could use a lot of famous men who had women flinging themselves all over them. It happens.

This is literally the issue that started the Me Too movement.  Now we've come full circle.
"Me Too" (or "#MeToo", with local alternatives in other languages) spread virally in October 2017 as a hashtag used on social media to help demonstrate the widespread prevalence of sexual assault and harassment, especially in the workplace.[1] It followed soon after the public revelations of sexual misconduct allegations against Harvey Weinstein.[2]

Weinstein had wealth and power - I'm sure he had women willing however, he assaulted many women (forcing them as I understand the allegations) and so many violent assaults I don't think many would see the fire there. I'm not sure what the crimes will or can be against him now, years later .... but I would hope something happens with him and the judicial system. 

Bill Cosby I was hesitant on until so many women came out against him. Nassar was the same way, 1 allegation is one thing, 60 young women is totally different, and these were not a kiss or butt smack. Matt Lauer similar .... empowered in a way to be allowed to abuse women. Sick, just horrible. 

Break down the Trump allegations. Break down the Bill Clinton ones. Every one reported should be looked at from every perspective but at the same time, don't forget the Duke LaCrosse team and Brian Banks and the other innocents destroyed by false accusations, they matter too and  being falsely accused is a terrible thing.

bring each one of them up, lets discuss them if you want to

Bill Clinton ran the country well do you agree? 
If you had a dollar for every political discussion you had about Trump without bringing up a Clinton or an Obama, what would you do with your zero dollars?

You won't discuss Trump's accusers with us.  You've had many opportunities and refused to do so.   And it's not like facts change your mind - there you were bringing up Uranium One yet again today even after having that entire situation explained to you tirelessly many times in many ways by many people.  

#metoo
That stinks. Sorry you had to go through that. The middle one in particular is really bad stuff. How did that one get resolved?

I was stalked by a chic at work. She was inappropriate and kept pressuring me. Sent photos. 

#metoo

Weinstein had wealth and power - I'm sure he had women willing however, he assaulted many women (forcing them as I understand the allegations) and so many violent assaults I don't think many would see the fire there. I'm not sure what the crimes will or can be against him now, years later .... but I would hope something happens with him and the judicial system. 

Bill Cosby I was hesitant on until so many women came out against him. Nassar was the same way, 1 allegation is one thing, 60 young women is totally different, and these were not a kiss or butt smack. Matt Lauer similar .... empowered in a way to be allowed to abuse women. Sick, just horrible. 

Break down the Trump allegations. Break down the Bill Clinton ones. Every one reported should be looked at from every perspective but at the same time, don't forget the Duke LaCrosse team and Brian Banks and the other innocents destroyed by false accusations, they matter too and  being falsely accused is a terrible thing.
Interesting, so what's the magic number you use to change your mind?  3? 5? 11? 19? 27?   I'd just like to know how say 19 isn't enough but 30 is.   

With regard to Bill Clinton, I believe that if he were the President right now the Democratic Party would force him to resign as they forced Al Franken to resign, or impeach him. Times have changed since the 90s, they’ve changed since Harvey Weinstein in particular. The Democrats will no longer tolerate mistreatment of women. 
It's cute that you think this.  If Bill Clinton were president right now, the #metoo movement would not be happening because it would inconvenient tribal friction.  The 1990s were not Mad Men -- people knew that Clinton was a predator at the time.  They just chose to overlook it because the stock market was doing well and because Democrats collectively decided to go to the mattresses for him.    

It's cute that you think this.  If Bill Clinton were president right now, the #metoo movement would not be happening because it would inconvenient tribal friction.  The 1990s were not Mad Men -- people knew that Clinton was a predator at the time.  They just chose to overlook it because the stock market was doing well and because Democrats collectively decided to go to the mattresses for him.    
Disagree.  Was it "friction" that part of the "Left" Tribe (NY Times) turned on their own in Weinstein to break this whole thing?  This was happening regardless. 

You’re wrong Ivan. This movement has already inconvenienced tribal friction. That’s why I pointed out that it’s revolutionary. In a way, it’s similar to the sudden widespread acceptance of gay rights, except that in this case the ramifications are much greater. 

You’re wrong Ivan. This movement has already inconvenienced tribal friction. That’s why I pointed out that it’s revolutionary. In a way, it’s similar to the sudden widespread acceptance of gay rights, except that in this case the ramifications are much greater. 
Not the same way.  Harvey Weinstein doesn't hold elected office.  And forcing Franken out of the Senate isn't any more impressive than Republicans forcing Bob Packwood out of the Senate.  I lived through the 1990s and I remember them very well.

#metoo
I'm normally inclined to believe accounts like this.  But since you're a pathological liar on this board, it's fair to assume there are big gaps between your accounts of what happened and what actually happened.  So I don't believe you.    

1. Guys getting stalked by girls. 

2. The Duke Lacrosse incident. 

Everytime there is a discussion about what has now come to be known as the Me Too movement, these points are somehow always raised. 
Those points should be discussed on their merits then. Should be easy. You just want them dismissed as irrelevant. 

#2 is a cautionary tale, it happens. The consequences are awful when it does. Why would we not want to encourage a system where #2 can be prevented whenever possible as well as preventing people from getting away with these crimes? 

I think the metoo movement should be focused on better police procedures for when crimes are reported as well as better reporting of crimes. The next focus should be on preventing retaliation for reporting and punishment for improper handling of reporting. These changes would do far more for the long term prevention of these issues than what is going on now.

For too long police have poorly handled when women come forward. This leads to women being reluctant to come forward. This leads to delays, possible destruction of evidence, skepticism, etc. It is a bad loop. It seems that since we know women don't want to go to police we are now trying to create different ways to get them to come forward. This is a bad approach. We need to create a world where police are the place to go. Not university officials, not the media, not some other group.

People compare the skepticism surrounding these crimes with other crimes. It is true, these crimes have often been met with deplorable police treatment. This sucks. We need to work on changing it and creating better protocols, but the flip side to comparing it to other crimes is that those other crimes would also be met with skepticism if they were often reported in the same manner as these crimes. If you reported a robbery that happened two months ago, you already had a cleaning service come through, the broken door has been replaced and disposed of, and you were drunk the night it happened you would be met with the same skepticism.

So while the reasons for women not reporting things sooner, or at all, can be very understandable, it contributes to the issues. 

Those points should be discussed on their merits then. Should be easy. You just want them dismissed as irrelevant. 
They are irrelevant in terms of the MeToo movement, because their frequency is so rare. The continued focus on them is a not so subtle pushback against the MeToo movement, IMO. 

I'm normally inclined to believe accounts like this.  But since you're a pathological liar on this board, it's fair to assume there are big gaps between your accounts of what happened and what actually happened.  So I don't believe you.    
I wouldn’t expect any less from the guy that dropped f bomb after f bomb on one of the owners and lived to tell about it.  

Users who are viewing this thread