What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#metoo Movement (1 Viewer)

I rarely follow entertainment news. And my whole point is that examples of false accusations are so rare as to be irrelevant, despite this frustrating insistence by you and others of focusing on them. 
Where have I focused on false accusations?  I've only posted in this thread a few times, and most of those posts have been supportive of #metoo, which I think is a good thing. 

(I think my first post in this thread was yesterday).  

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely follow entertainment news. 
Also, I don't follow entertainment news at all.  When I first encountered the Aziz Ansari story, I had to look up who he was.  ("Oh, it's that guy from Parks & Recreation").  But that's the point.  You don't have to follow celebrity news to know about stuff like this.  You just need to not be living under a rock.

The fact that you keep referring to the Ansari story as a "false accusation" story is also weird and makes me think you don't know what you're talking about.  The issue with Ansari isn't whether the accusation leveled against him is "false."  It's whether he actually did anything seriously wrong.  Ansari's defenders argue that even if we take the anonymous accuser's story at face value, the story sounds more like an unpleasant hook-up and less like sexual assault.  I have mixed feelings on that, but I do think I understand the issues at play.  I don't think you do.

there is no magic number, every situation is different

study the Duke Lacrosse fake rape accusations .......... from beginning to end, read how it all went down. Gross injustices done all because of political correctness and racism. It was sick, disgusting, appalling and shouldn't be soon forgotten. 
Crystal Magnum had a checkered past for making rape claims (and for being a criminal) before the Duke Lacrosse scandal happened. She is a mentally ill dangerous person who is doing time for second degree murder right now. The biggest culprit in the Duke case was not her though, it was former DA Mike Nifong. He willfully and intentionally withheld evidence, fed the media lies, and started a racially charged movement. He welcomed the new black panthers and jesse jackson to town with open arms, because he knew that would really get the pot stirred. It wasn't hard to paint a bad picture of some privileged white boys who did in fact say racial slurs to the black strippers, and had bad party boy reputations. Nifong knew Ms. Magnum was a mental hot mess who changed her story many times over, and he ordered the Durham Police Dept to only show pictures of the lacrosse team with no fillers in the photo lineups, and he knew the DNA evidence did not match any of the lacrosse players. The list goes on. Nifong didn't care about justice. He cared about reelection, which he was up for. He ended up being charged with criminal contempt and got disbarred. 

Getting back to what I previously said, Crystal Magnum is in prison where she belongs, and while she played a big part in the Duke scandal, Nifong played the biggest part. It never would have gotten near as far as it did without him leading the way. As for the three Duke lacrosse players, they got multi-million dollar settlements by Duke. The Duke scandal is unique, and I don't think it should be used as an example of what is wrong with the #Metoo movement.  Even the director of a documentary (Fantastic Lies) based on the case says "I…want to emphasize that this film focuses on a case where men where falsely accused and where a DA engaged in serious professional misconduct. This should not in any way detract from the fact that the vast majority of reports of sexual assault are true. To use this case as representative of a wider issue would be a profound injustice to the real victims who have the courage to come forward."

Also, I don't follow entertainment news at all.  When I first encountered the Aziz Ansari story, I had to look up who he was.  ("Oh, it's that guy from Parks & Recreation").  But that's the point.  You don't have to follow celebrity news to know about stuff like this.  You just need to not be living under a rock.

The fact that you keep referring to the Ansari story as a "false accusation" story is also weird and makes me think you don't know what you're talking about.  The issue with Ansari isn't whether the accusation leveled against him is "false."  It's whether he actually did anything seriously wrong.  Ansari's defenders argue that even if we take the anonymous accuser's story at face value, the story sounds more like an unpleasant hook-up and less like sexual assault.  I have mixed feelings on that, but I do think I understand the issues at play.  I don't think you do.
I admit I’m still learning the issues at play. Whether or not YOU understand them is up for you to decide. But I don’t really get your distinction here. In this case the inaccuracy turns out to have been more from the news media than from the accuser, but in the end this guy was apparently still accused of something he probably did not do, thus it’s a false accusation one way or another. 

But I don’t care about this wording. Whatever. Call it what you want, it’s still very rare so as to be irrelevant. Does it happen? Sure. I believe that two of my sports heroes, Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethlisberger, were wrongly accused of criminal sexual behavior. But even in those cases I sided with the accusers until new information caused me to question them. I will ALWAYS side with the accusers first, because this stuff happens so often in our society. 

President Trump’s Tweet from yesterday, ludicrously whining about “due process” for those accused of mistreating women (ludicrous given his history regarding the Birther movement and the Central Park Five and dozens of other examples) puts him front and center in the Me Too debate, and on the wrong side. Hopefully women will punish him and Republicans for this next November. 

I admit I’m still learning the issues at play. Whether or not YOU understand them is up for you to decide. But I don’t really get your distinction here. In this case the inaccuracy turns out to have been more from the news media than from the accuser, but in the end this guy was apparently still accused of something he probably did not do, thus it’s a false accusation one way or another. 

But I don’t care about this wording. Whatever. Call it what you want, it’s still very rare so as to be irrelevant. Does it happen? Sure. I believe that two of my sports heroes, Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethlisberger, were wrongly accused of criminal sexual behavior. But even in those cases I sided with the accusers until new information caused me to question them. I will ALWAYS side with the accusers first, because this stuff happens so often in our society. 
What was he accused of that he probably did not do? 

President Trump’s Tweet from yesterday, ludicrously whining about “due process” for those accused of mistreating women (ludicrous given his history regarding the Birther movement and the Central Park Five and dozens of other examples) puts him front and center in the Me Too debate, and on the wrong side. Hopefully women will punish him and Republicans for this next November. 
Trump’s history of being accused of sexual harassment, lewd behavior, sexual assault, and rape put him front at center in the #metoo movement.  I’m not sure what the “debate” you’re referencing is. 

Trump’s history of being accused of sexual harassment, lewd behavior, sexual assault, and rape put him front at center in the #metoo movement.  I’m not sure what the “debate” you’re referencing is. 
Wrong use of words there. You’re correct. 

If it helps, the initial article headline on Babe.com was “I went on a date with Aziz Ansari. It turned into the worst night of my life.”

What did that accuse him of that he didn’t do?

I’m asking you.  You said he was accused of something he probably didn’t do.  What is that?
Henry, I don’t know. Somebody else brought up this guy as an example of someone who was “crucified”. I’ve never heard the name until yesterday. I don’t watch either of his shows. I wouldn’t recognize him. My response to the original post, for which Ivan took me to task, was that I don’t think he was crucified. If my wording was wrong, so be it. If he wasn’t accused of anything untoward, great. Again I don’t care about any of this since I think it’s irrelevant to the MeToo movement. 

I rarely follow entertainment news. And my whole point is that examples of false accusations are so rare as to be irrelevant, despite this frustrating insistence by you and others of focusing on them. 
8-10-12% reported false accusations 

not rare at all 

Henry, I don’t know. Somebody else brought up this guy as an example of someone who was “crucified”. I’ve never heard the name until yesterday. I don’t watch either of his shows. I wouldn’t recognize him. My response to the original post, for which Ivan took me to task, was that I don’t think he was crucified. If my wording was wrong, so be it. If he wasn’t accused of anything untoward, great. Again I don’t care about any of this since I think it’s irrelevant to the MeToo movement. 
Well, it kind of sounds like Ivan’s right, and you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about on a fairly nuanced issue.  Ansari’s probably the most hot button story in this movement right now, and is extremely important to the long term discussion of what is and what is not victimization.  I’d recommend you read up extensively.  

This is the initial article. 

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355

8-10-12% reported false accusations 

not rare at all 
Just a guess: you have absolutely no understanding of where those numbers come from, what they mean, or what the percentage of false reporting would be for other crimes if we counted “false reports” the same way those studies did in other crimes. 

Crystal Magnum had a checkered past for making rape claims (and for being a criminal) before the Duke Lacrosse scandal happened. She is a mentally ill dangerous person who is doing time for second degree murder right now. The biggest culprit in the Duke case was not her though, it was former DA Mike Nifong. He willfully and intentionally withheld evidence, fed the media lies, and started a racially charged movement. He welcomed the new black panthers and jesse jackson to town with open arms, because he knew that would really get the pot stirred. It wasn't hard to paint a bad picture of some privileged white boys who did in fact say racial slurs to the black strippers, and had bad party boy reputations. Nifong knew Ms. Magnum was a mental hot mess who changed her story many times over, and he ordered the Durham Police Dept to only show pictures of the lacrosse team with no fillers in the photo lineups, and he knew the DNA evidence did not match any of the lacrosse players. The list goes on. Nifong didn't care about justice. He cared about reelection, which he was up for. He ended up being charged with criminal contempt and got disbarred. 

Getting back to what I previously said, Crystal Magnum is in prison where she belongs, and while she played a big part in the Duke scandal, Nifong played the biggest part. It never would have gotten near as far as it did without him leading the way. As for the three Duke lacrosse players, they got multi-million dollar settlements by Duke. The Duke scandal is unique, and I don't think it should be used as an example of what is wrong with the #Metoo movement.  Even the director of a documentary (Fantastic Lies) based on the case says "I…want to emphasize that this film focuses on a case where men where falsely accused and where a DA engaged in serious professional misconduct. This should not in any way detract from the fact that the vast majority of reports of sexual assault are true. To use this case as representative of a wider issue would be a profound injustice to the real victims who have the courage to come forward."

Do you remember the day or days after the story broke? It was crazy how Democrats and the left and black leaders were using the allegations to further agendas. The truth didn't matter. It IS unique in the depths of the lies and cover-ups and exploitation ............ what is not unique is using false accusations to complete an agenda. Spread the lies and fake news enough and people believe it over the truth and facts.

Which is why I keep saying every allegation needs attention and taken seriously, and every accused needs a benefit of a doubt to start with. Automatically assuming guilt destroys the core of our judicial system IMO even more so than lying under oath. 

Just a guess: you have absolutely no understanding of where those numbers come from, what they mean, or what the percentage of false reporting would be for other crimes if we counted “false reports” the same way those studies did in other crimes. 
I did not spend 20 weeks reading and reviewing every document referenced. Neither did you. 

There are more sites you can google and estimations ......... its not rare for a false accusation to occur and not just sexual assault cases. False accusations happen and they needs to be considered.

EVERY accusation needs considered absolutely but to automatically assume guilt shouldn't be the way we look at things. I can't believe the lefties don't believe in that. 

Dude, from your link:

it is generally agreed that rape accusations are false about 2% to 10% of the time

While you claimed "8-10-12% reported false accusations"

And they also note: Due to varying definitions of a "false accusation", the true percentage remains unknown

So, it could be as little as 2% and the actual percentage remains unknown, but of course you would run with 8-12% which I knew wasn't a verified fact.

I notice you didn’t say “estimated at 2%-10% depending on how you determine what a false report is”
google is your friend, you can deduce whatever you want to as you research the numbers ........... to say false accusations is rare I don't think is accurate and that includes falsely accusing people of sexual assault

and when you add political gain and agenda's that changes things too

google is your friend, you can deduce whatever you want to as you research the numbers ........... to say false accusations is rare I don't think is accurate and that includes falsely accusing people of sexual assault

and when you add political gain and agenda's that changes things too
I don’t need google on this one. I file lawsuits against governmental entities and other organizations when children in their care are sexually assaulted and raped.  I fight with and against these numbers all the time.  

So, it could be as little as 2% and the actual percentage remains unknown, but of course you would run with 8-12% which I knew wasn't a verified fact.
I gave you the link, one of many links out there. 

if 2% is rare and should be tossed aside because of its irrelevance, tell me what other 2% of things would be tossed aside because it didn't matter? Think hard .... I don't think you'd agree that a very very very small % of school kids murdered with guns is irrelevant. I don't think you'd agree that a very very small % of people killed by white supremacists or muslims or chrisitans are irrelevant.

bicker on % if you want to - as I've said, every accusation needs to be taken seriously and everyone accused needs to have some benefit of a doubt at the beginning because false accusations happen, and being falsely accused is a bad thing too  

I don’t need google on this one. I file lawsuits against governmental entities and other organizations when children in their care are sexually assaulted and raped.  I fight with and against these numbers all the time.  
are you with squistion that the accused is always guilty and there is never a false accusation or those falsely accused doesn't matter in this world ?

are you with squistion that the accused is always guilty and there is never a false accusation or those falsely accused doesn't matter in this world ?
I don’t believe that’s squistion’s position, nor anyone’s position, and I don’t believe anyone not insane agrees with that statement.  Your characterization is similar to if I said your position is that all accusations are false and women who claim to have been raped usually just regret agreeing to have sex because they feel slutty. That is: it’s not at all true and a false characterization. 

I gave you the link, one of many links out there. 

if 2% is rare and should be tossed aside because of its irrelevance, tell me what other 2% of things would be tossed aside because it didn't matter? Think hard .... I don't think you'd agree that a very very very small % of school kids murdered with guns is irrelevant. I don't think you'd agree that a very very small % of people killed by white supremacists or muslims or chrisitans are irrelevant.

bicker on % if you want to - as I've said, every accusation needs to be taken seriously and everyone accused needs to have some benefit of a doubt at the beginning because false accusations happen, and being falsely accused is a bad thing too  
Dude, they can't even verify that 2% is an accurate number. Give me a link with actual percentages of accusations that have been proven false, which does not include "dropping charges, insufficient evidence to prosecute, and a host of other problematic inclusions" (as HF noted) and we can go from there.

It is because Tim already had his rebuttals planned to whatever examples we brought up. The actual story didnt matter.

another top link from google

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf

I don’t believe that’s squistion’s position, nor anyone’s position, and I don’t believe anyone not insane agrees with that statement.  Your characterization is similar to if I said your position is that all accusations are false and women who claim to have been raped usually just regret agreeing to have sex because they feel slutty. That is: it’s not at all true and a false characterization. 
exactly right I never said such a thing

what I've said is that there are false accusations and that was countered with those false accusations being rare and inconsequential and I highly disagree that they are

watch the news, see how quickly people are judged guilty .......... look at how quickly the left goggle up anyone who accuses Trump of a butt slap and they call it sexual assault and Trump is automatically guilty. Never a question that maybe these women are being used for political gain as are the accusations and that bothers me. 

That's a big problem, and I'm not sure how to tackle it to be honest. Yes, the numbers might low % but falsely accused and judged or imprisoned or losing everything is terrible and it shouldn't be ignored or tossed aside. 

Just a guess. You dont either. 

Dude, they can't even verify that 2% is an accurate number. Give me a link with actual percentages of accusations that have been proven false, which does not include "dropping charges, insufficient evidence to prosecute, and a host of other problematic inclusions" (as HF noted) and we can go from there.
:lol:

Most accusations can’t be proven true or false.  It’s he said/she said.

I’m always going to be skeptical of anyone coming back years later with an accusation and little to no evidence.  That doesn’t mean they are lying, but it leaves way too much space for an alterior motive.

Most accusations can’t be proven true or false.  It’s he said/she said.

I’m always going to be skeptical of anyone coming back years later with an accusation and little to no evidence.  That doesn’t mean they are lying, but it leaves way too much space for an alterior motive.
this is true and part of the culture we need to change

then just tell me - do falsely accused people matter? if its 0.5 % of the total .......does it matter or doesn't it ?
Yes they do, but that is far cry from you false statement that I claimed that the accused is always guilty and there is never a false accusation or those falsely accused doesn't matter in this world

As noted by @jonessed, it’s virtually impossible to verify false reporting numbers.  But one big problem is the confusion among alleged victims - and among police and prosecutors - as to what constitutes a crime.  Going to the police and saying “I was sexually assaulted” and having the officer say (correctly or not) that the facts don’t constitute a crime does not equate to false reporting in my opinion, any more than someone saying his cell phone was stolen when it turns out the “thief” took his thinking it was his own.  

If the facts as described are intentionally false, that’s false reporting. That should obviously be prosecuted. 

Yes they do, but that is far cry from you false statement that I claimed that the accused is always guilty and there is never a false accusation or those falsely accused doesn't matter in this world
so why are you wanting to fight with % numbers that I gave you a couple of links to .... seems almost like trolling a thread doesn't it ?

I used the numbers and links to show that there ARE false accusations , it could be 2% or 8% the numbers but whatever they are, they matter.

pick apart the percentages if you want, my point is every accusation should be seriously looked at, and jumping to guilty conclusions shouldn't happen as often as they do.

As noted by @jonessed, it’s virtually impossible to verify false reporting numbers.  But one big problem is the confusion among alleged victims - and among police and prosecutors - as to what constitutes a crime.  Going to the police and saying “I was sexually assaulted” and having the officer say (correctly or not) that the facts don’t constitute a crime does not equate to false reporting in my opinion, any more than someone saying his cell phone was stolen when it turns out the “thief” took his thinking it was his own.  

If the facts as described are intentionally false, that’s false reporting. That should obviously be prosecuted. 
and rarely does that false reporting get prosecuted right ?

The Aziz Ansari story .... a different look at this link

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/18/metoo-has-gone-too-far-with-aziz-ansari-accusation/

sexual assault or a bad date? what personal responsibility did the woman have in all this? see damage has been done to Ansari by the accusation .... it doesn't mean so much if it was truly just a bad date, Ansari has already lost without a trial, without everyone really hearing all the evidence etc.

he's lost

two totally different situations 

I love Trump, I don't want to make it the same, get it?... but these are two very different situations 

https://www.thewrap.com/19-bill-cosby-accusers-complete-breakdown-of-the-allegations-so-far/

http://time.com/5058646/donald-trump-accusers/
Stealthy I'm not sure how you think the time article supports your narrative.  Trumps own words support these allegations against him. 

Btw I changed your quote above. It makes more sense now.  

so why are you wanting to fight with % numbers that I gave you a couple of links to .... seems almost like trolling a thread doesn't it ?

I used the numbers and links to show that there ARE false accusations , it could be 2% or 8% the numbers but whatever they are, they matter.

pick apart the percentages if you want, my point is every accusation should be seriously looked at, and jumping to guilty conclusions shouldn't happen as often as they do.
Trolling of the thread was your unverified claim that 8%-12% are false accusations, which your links have not verified and that you have not retracted.

You keep trotting out this Straw Man that I think that no false accusations are ever made or now that I don't think that every accusation should be seriously looked at. As usual you are mischaracterizing what those you disagree with are saying and it makes it difficult taking anything you say seriously either now or in the future. If you actually want to discuss something (or anything) please stop distorting the words of others here.

Well, it kind of sounds like Ivan’s right, and you don’t have any idea what you’re talking about on a fairly nuanced issue.  Ansari’s probably the most hot button story in this movement right now, and is extremely important to the long term discussion of what is and what is not victimization.  I’d recommend you read up extensively.  

This is the initial article. 

https://babe.net/2018/01/13/aziz-ansari-28355
Thanks Henry, as I wrote, I don’t mind learning and I always want to be more informed. I will read the article. 

and rarely does that false reporting get prosecuted right ?

The Aziz Ansari story .... a different look at this link

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/18/metoo-has-gone-too-far-with-aziz-ansari-accusation/

sexual assault or a bad date? what personal responsibility did the woman have in all this? see damage has been done to Ansari by the accusation .... it doesn't mean so much if it was truly just a bad date, Ansari has already lost without a trial, without everyone really hearing all the evidence etc.

he's lost
Lost what?

From the article: 

But the main thing was, he wouldn’t let her move away from him. 

If this is true, then at that point it becomes sexual assault IMO. So it appears to have been more than just a “bad date.” 

Users who are viewing this thread