What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wait is Trump seriously scheduling a military parade like those loopy North Koreans always do??? (2 Viewers)

What can possibly go wrong this July 4th?
:scared:

Mr. CIA: "Well I'll be darned! While vacationing at a remote cabin in the woods, I happened to come across an ancient Sumerian book with a cover made of human flesh filled with spells written in blood! I'm just gonna read a couple of these out loud for ####s and giggles. What could go wrong?"

:scared:

Mr. CIA: "Well I'll be darned! While vacationing at a remote cabin in the woods, I happened to come across an ancient Sumerian book with a cover made of human flesh filled with spells written in blood! I'm just gonna read a couple of these out loud for ####s and giggles. What could go wrong?"
I hope my query is not resurrected three days from now.

I hope all Walmart in a 15 mile range stocks up extra for anything red white and blue to handle the influx of Proud Boys and other white trash groups who will now be there.  At least they will now have people at the Capitol Fourth who will be excited to see the Oak Ridge Boys and the Beach Boys in 2019

I hope the different wall samples will be in the parade as well. POTUS is in it too, right? I imagine he’ll be last (like Santa Claus in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade) riding a golden eagle and telling everyone this is the best parade ever.

How about somebody be like the guy in Tiananmen square and stand in front if the tanks
Its been done.  Would this be by way of homage, or would it be derivative and played?  Now if someone could float in a lawn chair balloon contraption so that they would be in the path of the Blue Angels, that would be cool.  It would take maybe a dozen Baby Trump Balloons to get a mid sized male airborne.  Just saying.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/big-deal-9

The most unamerican stuff possible all dressed out in star spangeled majesty. They are using my tax dollars as a weapon against me. 

We’ve seen all the stories about tanks in DC and the Trumpified Fourth of July celebration later this week. These things are wrong. They’re grotesque. But last night I saw something quite different. According to HuffPost, the RNC has been given tickets to distribute for the event. It’s already clear that this is in substance going to be another Trump political rally. But it’s on US government property. It’s paid for by the US government and in significant part by the US military. It not includes display of heavy weaponry. Trump will apparently have the heads of each uniformed service on stage with him as he speaks. Tickets distributed by the RNC are by definition used for fundraising purposes even if they are not directly sold to donors for a certain contribution price. They’re used to leverage political contributions.

As I said, the rest is grotesque. But most of what we’ve seen is about “norms”. This is different. There are all sorts of regulations and laws about commingling US government events and the President’s political party, especially the President selling military events to GOP donors to raise money for the President’s re-election campaign and for funds to retake the House in next year’s election.

Its been done.  Would this be by way of homage, or would it be derivative and played?  Now if someone could float in a lawn chair balloon contraption so that they would be in the path of the Blue Angels, that would be cool.  It would take maybe a dozen Baby Trump Balloons to get a mid sized male airborne.  Just saying.
It's all so hilarious!

Im sure all those that complain when athletes or others “make things just about themselves” will surely be consistent and take POTUS to task for this.
This isn't a problem with his grandiosity or narcissism, this is about converting a national tradition and government property to private use.

My FIL was a true WWII hero.   He used to tell me his stories, things he wouldn't tell anyone else about. Man I miss him.  They were interesting and horrifying. Anyway, he said the last place you wanted to be was in a tank, which he spent some time in, because the nazis always lit them up first and our units were nothing compared to theirs. 

I don't need tanks and artillery pieces and mobile missiles.  I like the parades of my youth were the military were our friends and neighbors, vets, members of the American Legion, folks who had a full perspective on wars and patriotism.  Folks who were not blinded by flash of medals and bravado of youth, but folks proudly marching even with missing limbs, with jackets too tight in the belly but too loose, often, in the sleeve due to missing limbs. Folks who can offer true insight and perspective.  Folks who paid a heavy price for their privilege to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't need tanks and artillery pieces and mobile missiles.  I like the parades of my youth were the military were our friends and neighbors, vets, members of the American Legion, folks who had a full perspective on wars and patriotism.  Folks who were not blinded by flash of medals and bravado of youth, but folks proudly marching even with missing limbs, with jackets too tight in the belly but too loose, often, in the sleeve due to missing limbs. Folks who can offer true insight and perspective.  Folks who paid a heavy price for their privilege to speak.
Huh.   That's pretty solemn.   The only parade I remember from my youth included Rodney Allen Rippy in a go-cart as grand marshall.   

Huh.   That's pretty solemn.   The only parade I remember from my youth included Rodney Allen Rippy in a go-cart as grand marshall.   
In my youth, in small town America, in the 60's, our 4th of July and Memorial Day parades featured the school bands, elementary through high school, a piece or two of emergency response equipment and the volunteers who operated them (We did not have full time employees of Fire or Police departments), an operational historical steam tractor, kids on bikes who had decorated them with crepe paper and flags, and the vets from the area, mostly WWII and Korean war Vets but some from WWI, marching in formation, by service, wearing the remnants of their uniforms. It was not solemn, it was celebratory, but also cautionary as many were severely wounded, permanently, by their service.  Still, they were proud to march and when they passed bye we showed them respect.  The parades always ended at the American Legion hall.  There the Vets served up hot dogs and brats, orange soda, chips, cake, and ice cream sandwiches.  We kids looked forward to that before getting on about our 4th of July business with our family and friends.  It was a home grown community event.  It was not staged propaganda by a central government.  It was Norman Rockwell. 

Later there were games and contests at the municipal grounds and pool.  We kids might earn a prize or two, some coins, a gold fish in a bag, a small trophy for swimming, diving, running, throwing and of course the big turtle race and frog jumping contest. There was more BBQ.  There were a few fire crackers set off to the consternation of adults.  Local bands played at the band stand, mostly poorly but some quite good.  At dusk, fireworks and then a walk home along the creek which we pronounced crick.  There were fireflies in the sky and raccoons moving from the woods to pick the fallen food at the municipal grounds.  Often the deer were stirring.

In my youth, in small town America, in the 60's our 4th of July and Memorial Day parades featured the school bands, elementary through high school, a piece or two of emergency response equipment and the volunteers who operated them (We did not have full time employees of Fire or Police departments), an operational historical steam tractor, kids on bikes who had decorated them with crepe paper and flags, and the vets from the area, mostly WWII and Korean war Vets but some from WWI, marching in formation, by service, wearing the remnants of their uniforms. It was not solemn, it was celebratory, but also cautionary as many were severely wounded, permanently, by their service.  Still, they were proud to march and when they passed bye we showed them respect.  The parades always ended at the American Legion hall.  There the Vets served up hot dogs and brats, orange soda, chips, cake, and ice cream sandwiches.  We kids looked forward to that before getting on about our 4th of July business with our family and friends.  It was a home grown community event.  It was not staged propaganda by a central government.  It was Norman Rockwell.  Later there were games and contests at the municipal grounds and pool.  We kids might earn a prize or two, some coins, a gold fish in a bag, a small trophy for swimming, diving, running, throwing and of course the big turtle race and frog jumping contest. 
I remember these kinds of 4th of Julys as well in small town South Carolina. 

What time and what channel will this grand display of patriotism be broadcast?  Must try and work into the day's festivities.  

Oh, our parades also likely had a few classic cars, a convertible also, with maybe a homecoming queen.  Some chick to wave slowly as she passed.

Users who are viewing this thread