What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

4 day weekend or 2 - 3day weekends (1 Viewer)

Which schedule would you prefer?

• 4 day weekend

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • 2 - 3 day weekends with a 3 day work week

Votes: 38 76.0%

• Total voters

belljr

Footballguy
HOTLY DEBATED TOPIC (not really)

Let's say you have to take a Friday off and don't really have plans.  Obviously, you were able to schedule a trip, this would change your answer.

No real plans would you rather 

a) take this friday off  making it a 4day weekends (monday is an off day for me)

b) have a 3 day weekend (monday is holiday), work t-th, then off for another 3 day weekend (F-S)

i faced the same question and went 4 day weekend.  Taking an extra day here and there is a good thing but having multiple days off in a row really helps.

What you need to do is work from home on Wednesday.  Tell them that your kid is sick.   So that day becomes a quasi day off.   So now you're looking at 3 off-2 on-1 off*-2 on-3 off.   

What you need to do is work from home on Wednesday.  Tell them that your kid is sick.   So that day becomes a quasi day off.   So now you're looking at 3 off-2 on-1 off*-2 on-3 off.   
I wish I could work from home.  Sadly not an option.

because it was great when I could pull this off

One time thing where I'm making plans to do something I pick the 4-day weekend.  If this was a regular thing where I could work 10 hour days and have a 3-day weekend every weekend I would go with that versus 5 day week then 3 day week.

Everyone else on my team has a scheduled work from home day every week. And of course, they all spout the typical "I get SO much more done when I work from home" BS.

Not a surprise that I'm the only one who isn't constantly complaining that I'm overburdened with work.

For 90%+ of people, work from home days are basically a quasi day off. I get why someone with a long commute might want one (I live less than 10 minutes from the office, so I dont care) but lets call a spade a spade.

Everyone else on my team has a scheduled work from home day every week. And of course, they all spout the typical "I get SO much more done when I work from home" BS.

Not a surprise that I'm the only one who isn't constantly complaining that I'm overburdened with work.

For 90%+ of people, work from home days are basically a quasi day off. I get why someone with a long commute might want one (I live less than 10 minutes from the office, so I dont care) but lets call a spade a spade.
I'm in software development so I can manage my work in a way that I essentially have not too much to do on my wfh day.    My typical day, like I think most people that post on this board during the work day, has a fair amount of free time.  My wfh day is typically wednesday so what I try to do if I really want to slack off on that day is I get more done than usual on tuesday and do a virtual transfer of some of that completed work to wed so that on thursday when we have scrum, I can claim to have accomplished those things.  It doesn't always work out that smoothly but that's how I'd try to do it.   

I'm a "10 minutes from the office" guy as well so it doesn't really matter too much to me, but yeah, if you have a long commute, that wfh day is vital for your sanity.

I used to also have 1 day a week wfh regularly - it  was 50/50 on quasi day off.  Like anything it depended on the project flow and where we were at.  Some days it was a log in answer a few emails and im questions maybe call into a meeting. Other days I worked just as much if not more from home

To be fair - it’s on the individual- some of my most productive days are WFH.  But so are some of my least productive.

I work from home five days a week. After reading your post, I feel like I must be doing it wrong.

One time thing where I'm making plans to do something I pick the 4-day weekend.  If this was a regular thing where I could work 10 hour days and have a 3-day weekend every weekend I would go with that versus 5 day week then 3 day week.
lady i work with does this. works 10 hour days Tues - Fri.

and has 7 or 8 weeks vacation. not a bad gig.

I'd get nothing done on a "working from home" day.  That said, I'd be happy with a 2 day weekend.

With nothing planned I would go with the pair of 3 day weekends, if it’s a one time only thing. If it were a long term schedule that would change things. When I take 4 days off then I will end up with “Oh I should have done this”. With the two sets of 3 you’ll have that second weekend (more importantly the second normal business day) off to do whatever you forgot about the first time. 

I work from home five days a week. After reading your post, I feel like I must be doing it wrong.
Again, you may be one of the 10 percent. 

It's just hilarious how it has developed in the offices I've worked in. One person asks for it because of unique circumstances. (Long commute, family issue, whatever). Then everyone else gets jealous and demands to have one as well. Then everyone starts with the "oh I get soooooooo much more done. No distractions" ruse to try to justify it to management. Meanwhile, they are constantly complaining that they're burried in emails and can't catch up.

Maybe if they weren't watching the price is right in their pj's for an hour before lunch this wouldn't be a problem.

Again, you may be one of the 10 percent. 

It's just hilarious how it has developed in the offices I've worked in. One person asks for it because of unique circumstances. (Long commute, family issue, whatever). Then everyone else gets jealous and demands to have one as well. Then everyone starts with the "oh I get soooooooo much more done. No distractions" ruse to try to justify it to management. Meanwhile, they are constantly complaining that they're burried in emails and can't catch up.

Maybe if they weren't watching the price is right in their pj's for an hour before lunch this wouldn't be a problem.
Maybe you just work for a ####ty company with ####ty employees?

Maybe you just work for a ####ty company with ####ty employees?
####ty company? Not really.  

SOME ####ty employees? I'll buy that.

I just feel like work from home is a total scam for a lot of people.  If you're a salaried employee, it really shouldn't matter when/how/where you work as long as you get your job done. But in my experience, it seems like people use it to slack off so that they can spend their other 4 days complaining about being overworked. Some people just love to complain

Last edited by a moderator:
####ty company? Not really.  

SOME ####ty employees? I'll buy that.

I just feel like work from home is a total scam for a lot of people.  If you're a salaried employee, it really shouldn't matter when/how/where you work as long as you get your job done. But in my experience, it seems like people use it to slack off so that they can send their other 4 days complaining about being overworked. Some people just love to complain
I get your point but again, that's on the individual and not the policy.  Why should I spend 2-3 hours commuting to sit at my desk when I can sit at my desk at home - I'm available by IM, phone, video conf all day.  If I don't get my work done, that's on me and I should face the consequences with my boss.  But for folks who can manage it it's a no-brainer.  And a lot of offices are going to push it even more to save on floor space/office costs.

If you're a salaried employee, it really shouldn't matter when/how/where you work as long as you get your job done.
I am. And this is exactly how it works. We have weekly staff meetings where we go over what we did and what we are doing. It's pretty obvious from our output no one is sitting around watching Oprah during work hours. And, in actuality, it was driven by lack of real estate. Our company is growing by leaps and bounds and we are out of physical space. We are leasing office buildings to house the overflow. But WFH is a viable option for some jobs. As a developer, our section is one of those.

I find it easier to disconnect with a 4 day instead of a 3 day weekend.  With a 4 day, people will realize that I'm out of the office, and leave me alone at least a little bit (or connect with a colleague instead).  On a 3 day, I usually get an e-mail and then the "Oh, I got your out of office, let's connect tomorrow" follow-up.

I get your point but again, that's on the individual and not the policy.  Why should I spend 2-3 hours commuting to sit at my desk when I can sit at my desk at home - I'm available by IM, phone, video conf all day.  If I don't get my work done, that's on me and I should face the consequences with my boss.  But for folks who can manage it it's a no-brainer.  And a lot of offices are going to push it even more to save on floor space/office costs.
And do you know how much time I waste in the office BSing with other people here, many of whom aren't even on my team?  Someone stops by my desk, I can't force them to leave. But I can easily close the door on my wife and kid. 

It's not bs at all. I miss working from home full-time.

I had this in my mid-20s before kids.  I golfed all day on Fridays (wife worked a full week).  It was glorious.  Relocated and #### went downhill from there.

:kicksrock:  
My first real job out of college required a 37.5 work week.   I chose Wednesday as my off days

10 10 OFF 10 7.5

Golfed or snowboarded every wednesday for 3 years.

The pay wasn't the best but the perks were great.   Was a great first job.

Agreed.

I loved taking off random Wednesdays. It made Tuesdays feel like Fridays and Mondays like Thursdays. Thursdays did not feel like Mondays because tomorrow was Friday, baby!

surprised at the - back to back 3 day weekends are leading the way.

I was always partial to that myself unless i made plans spefically to take advantage of the 4 days.

Holiday weekends always mucks up plans.

Plan on taking the 4 day this time ... for now

Users who are viewing this thread