What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 - Potential veteran releases (1 Viewer)

babydemon90

Footballguy
What potential veterans will be released this year?  We're all looking at the FA's out there, but of course there always vets released - some expected, some unexpected..

RB

Doug Martin, DeMarco Murray, Matt Forte - almost guaranteed

Chris Ivory - Jags could save a bit cutting him.

CJ Anderson - if the Broncos are looking to run at Cousins, he's probably a cap casualty..

WR

Torrey Smith, Brandon Marshall - guaranteed cuts imo

Randall Cobb?  Not a Green Bay follower, but doesn't seem like his production matches the money.

Other big names?

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson believes the "writing is clearly on the wall" that Mike Glennon won't be back with the team for the 2018 season.

The Bears have already paid Glennon $16 million, and the plan is for that to be all he gets from them before he's due a $2.5 million roster bonus later this offseason. For $16 million, Glennon made four starts for Chicago, completing 93-of-140 passes (66.4%) for 833 yards (6.0 YPA) and a 4:5 TD:INT ratio while losing three fumbles. The Bears aren't going to pay him $15 million to be a backup.

ESPN Broncos reporter Jeff Legwold believes the Broncos will release or trade C.J. Anderson this offseason.

Anderson has two years left on his contract at $4.5 million salaries in 2018 and 2019, but the Broncos will suffer zero dead-money hits if they choose to release him. Anderson was one of the overall bright spots on a bad 2017 Broncos team, rushing for 1,000-plus yards for the first time in his career. But, according to Legwold, Denver wants Devontae Booker to be its starter, and Anderson was very critical of the Broncos' move to fire RBs coach Eric Studesville. Anderson just turned 27 on Sunday and wouldn't have a hard time finding a new team.

If they go hard after Cousins C.J. won't be the only casualty.  

I wonder if Kirk would change his mind about going to Denver if they have to make such drastic changes to their lineup just to fit the guaranteed portion of his deal under the cap.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/broncos-could-end-up-losing-emmanuel-sanders-demaryius-thomas-this-offseason/

Broncos could end up losing Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas this offseason

Thomas has an option in his contract and Sanders could be on the trading block

by Will Brinson @WillBrinson

Feb 12, 2018 • 2 min read

babydemon90 said:
Randall Cobb?  Not a Green Bay follower, but doesn't seem like his production matches the money.
 I think Cobb has a better chance than Jordy on returning on his current contract, but both could get cut.

My anticipation is both will be asked to take a pay cut to return. In Jordy's case I think he accepts it or gets cut, not other way around it but I think he'd be more willing then Cobb to accept the pay cut due to his age. In Cobb's case he'd probably see a positive in returning to GB to rehab his value with a healthy Rodgers(in 4 games with Rodgers last year he produced like Randall Cobb of old) but if they ask him to take a sizeable pay cut he might see more positive in hitting the open market right now as a 28 year old then waiting till his age 29 off-season next year, especially if GB wants the pay cut to be significant. 

Long story short I think Jordy has to take a pay cut to return but should be more amenable to it. Cobb may be able to survive the roster without taking a pay cut but it's dicey and due to age he probably has more earning power on the open market and would be harder to get to agree to a restructured contract.

Crabtree seems almost a lock to me.  I've seen some chatter about Dez, but hard to imagine.  Cobb is likelier to me than Nelson.  Sanders or Thomas in DEN. 

Bracie Smathers said:
If they go hard after Cousins C.J. won't be the only casualty.  

I wonder if Kirk would change his mind about going to Denver if they have to make such drastic changes to their lineup just to fit the guaranteed portion of his deal under the cap.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/broncos-could-end-up-losing-emmanuel-sanders-demaryius-thomas-this-offseason/

Broncos could end up losing Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas this offseason

Thomas has an option in his contract and Sanders could be on the trading block

by Will Brinson @WillBrinson

Feb 12, 2018 • 2 min read
Hey kirk come play in denver. But we are cutting all your weapons... not bloody likely

Crabtree seems almost a lock to me.  I've seen some chatter about Dez, but hard to imagine.  Cobb is likelier to me than Nelson.  Sanders or Thomas in DEN. 
I thought Crabtree was likely out, but with Gruden taking over, you never really know how things will shake out. On that topic, Marshawn Lynch has to make the list. Personally, I think the team is better off with both of them as long as they're not distractions. 

Some guys that come to mind but I think were maybe on one year deals

decker

pryor

lacy (think he was multi year but at more than he’s worth)

Some guys that come to mind but I think were maybe on one year deals

decker

pryor

lacy (think he was multi year but at more than he’s worth)
Decker was a one year deal, it would be surprising if he returned unless his wife makes him sign a cheap deal.

My best guesses:

QB: Tyrod Taylor(feels like a lock)

RB: Doug Martin, DeMarco Murray, Lamar Miller(just a hunch)

WR: Michael Crabtree, Jeremy Maclin

TE: Coby Fleener, Julius Thomas

OT: Austin Howard, Bryan Bulaga(if Packers need cap space, he's a far better candidate than Nelson/Cobb)

OG: J.R. Sweezy

DE: Tamba Hali, Pernell McPhee

S: Sa'u Cravens(might be a trade, but can't imagine Redskins keep him)

I thought Crabtree was likely out, but with Gruden taking over, you never really know how things will shake out. On that topic, Marshawn Lynch has to make the list. Personally, I think the team is better off with both of them as long as they're not distractions. 
I'd be surprised if Lynch was gone. He's probably Gruden's favorite player of the last decade if you take anything he said on commentary at face value. Also, Lynch was actually really good down the stretch last year. Was arguably the best player on the offense.

Ameer Abdullah seems to be mentioned a lot if/when the lions add a back. Don’t think he costs much though and wonder if he’s still better than the back end guys like Washington or green. I think he would excel in a 3rd down role. Tennessee would make sense. 

I'd be surprised if Lynch was gone. He's probably Gruden's favorite player of the last decade if you take anything he said on commentary at face value. Also, Lynch was actually really good down the stretch last year. Was arguably the best player on the offense.
Haha, if you take Gruden's MNF chatter to mean anything then EVERYBODY is his favorite player. But I do agree with you that Lynch was actually really good last year. He had his work cut out for him, though: https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/2/1/16962150/marshawn-lynch-faced-stacked-boxes-more-than-any-back-in-football

Ameer Abdullah seems to be mentioned a lot if/when the lions add a back. Don’t think he costs much though and wonder if he’s still better than the back end guys like Washington or green. I think he would excel in a 3rd down role. Tennessee would make sense. 
Not sure where you've heard that, but it's likely baseless speculation. Nobody cuts even mediocre players on this kind of contract: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ameer-abdullah-16778/

If anything, it would make sense for them to shop him for a late pick to recoup some value. I'm sure it won't happen, but he'd look good in the Dion Lewis role if NE can't afford to keep him around. Like you said, Abdullah would be great as a 3rd down back, so IMO it's more likely Detroit would cut Riddick if they drafted an early down back, because Riddick's contract would save more cap space: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/theo-riddick-12481/

I won't be surprised if both are kept, though, and kind of negate each other's value in 2018.

Haha, if you take Gruden's MNF chatter to mean anything then EVERYBODY is his favorite player. But I do agree with you that Lynch was actually really good last year. He had his work cut out for him, though: https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/2/1/16962150/marshawn-lynch-faced-stacked-boxes-more-than-any-back-in-football

Not sure where you've heard that, but it's likely baseless speculation. Nobody cuts even mediocre players on this kind of contract: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/ameer-abdullah-16778/

If anything, it would make sense for them to shop him for a late pick to recoup some value. I'm sure it won't happen, but he'd look good in the Dion Lewis role if NE can't afford to keep him around. Like you said, Abdullah would be great as a 3rd down back, so IMO it's more likely Detroit would cut Riddick if they drafted an early down back, because Riddick's contract would save more cap space: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/theo-riddick-12481/

I won't be surprised if both are kept, though, and kind of negate each other's value in 2018.
Yes there isn’t much merit to the Abdullah mentions other than lazy reporting imo, like the “Lewis to det” reporting, it’s somethjnf to write about. I hadn’t thought about the contract. I suppose most fans think riddick is the more stable option as the 3rd down back. I hadn’t taken cap hit into consideration, but I’d be fine with one or the other as 3rd down COP guy. 

J. Nelson is being talked about alot, but I don't buy it. When healthy and Rodgers is on the field that guy is great. Last year before Rodgers got hurt he was a top 10 Receiver in PPR. I see them trading Cobb for something before the draft and restructuring Nelson to a cap friendly "prove-it" deal. 

J. Nelson is being talked about alot, but I don't buy it. When healthy and Rodgers is on the field that guy is great. Last year before Rodgers got hurt he was a top 10 Receiver in PPR. I see them trading Cobb for something before the draft and restructuring Nelson to a cap friendly "prove-it" deal. 
When Rodgers got hurt Nelson was already outside the top 50 in yards and yards per reception.  You're letting fantasy points boosted by a few short yardage TDs conflate your view of real life usefulness.

Last edited by a moderator:
The team thinks he has a lost a lot. And he needs the best QB in the game to be effective? He simply isnt worth 12million. 

How cheap do you think he will restructure? I'm buying them moving on to other options if Jordy doesnt cut his salary 80%.

Last edited by a moderator:
The team thinks he has a lost a lot. And he needs the best QB in the game to be effective? He simply isnt worth 12million. 

How cheap do you think he will restructure? I'm buying them moving on to other options if Jordy doesnt cut his salary 80%.
Might be a slight exaggeration but it's unlikely anyone else pays much, so if I'm him I certainly want to remain in Green Bay.

The Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs hints it's more likely than not that the Bears release Markus Wheaton.

Biggs didn't come out and flat-out say it, but the Bears are not going to pay Wheaton $5 million after a disastrous first year with the team where he couldn't stay healthy. He was bad in Pittsburgh before that. GM Ryan Pace had a truly awful free-agent crop in 2017. Figuring out the receiver position is at the top of the to-do list for Pace and new coach Matt Nagy.

Users who are viewing this thread