What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Dumpster Diving (1 Viewer)

hoffman0001

Footballguy
As we get into the "business season" (I.E. no games). What players are you looking to trade for this year that has poor years that you think you can "flip" for a nice return for owners that may have given up too soon? Here are some on my radar. This is the season where deals can be made and values can be had. This time last I targeted Gurley in every league and got him. It paid off in spades. 

My Criteria: 

A. Significant Upside 

B. Recent poor performance that will result in a discount if the current owner is frustrated 

C. Factors that can help take that upside and turn it into a nice value. This includes coaching changes, improved cast around them, return from an injury, etc. 

QB: 

A. LUCK: Upside is significant, but risk is high given the past two years of production. Surrounding talent might need some work, and a trade might payoff more in 2019 then 2018. That being said his price might NEVER get this low. 

D. CARR: Still young, has lots of talent, and has a new coach who is know for quick turnarounds. This roster has quality options for him to throw too. He fell off a cliff in 2017, and went from being a sexy pick to a forgotten man. Love his likely discount, high upside profile. 

J Winston: Warning This is a very distant 3rd on my list. His has upside, but he is also trending poorly and he should have done better. I would only go after him if I could get a real deal. For example if someone has him on their roster as like a 3rd or 4th QB based on performance and you can get him for a thorw away player or a late rookie pick then he would be worth the gamble. 

RB:

D. Johnson: Obvious pick here. If you can leverage his injury and uncertainty to get him at a discount, I think it's worth making an offer. His talent should keep him in the discussion as a top 5-10 back IMO. If you can pay a lower price, go for it. 

D. Murray: He is likely out in TEN which could be a win/win for all involved. If he ends up on a good team with lead dog (1st and 2nd down) and goal-line back, I think his value is higher then many might expect given his production this year. 

J Ajayi: Assuming Blount moves on, I like this potential. He moved mid-season and never really got integrated equal to his past production. He is on a stacked roster, and I think they will re-design the running game to make him the lead dog in 2018 

D. Lewis: Look at his fantasy playoff production and you see the upside here. He will likely move on and he did not really shine in the SB. He is still young and has proven is limited action he can be dominant when given the touches. I think he is a nice value and might be a player to target as owners clear roster space for rookies. I don't think he will be cut but a discount could be gotten. 

WR: 

M. Evans: Huge upside but his value has really fallen off after this year. Still a young elite talent. You need to ride the Winston roller coaster so not for the faint of heart. 

B. Cooks: The first year in NE was a disappointment but the potential is there, I'm still a buyer at the right price. He also was a no-show in the SB which should tamp done his value. 

Crabtree/Cooper: I think both of these guys have big upside with the OAK revival, and can be had at a steep discount.

TE: 

G. Olsen: Yes he is up there in age, but the price is likely right if your a TE away from winning in your league. He is a rental, but a nice one. 

J. Graham: I'm a buyer because he still has the skills and was not used correctly in SEA. He has show he is recovered from his knee and can still be elite when given the ball. 

This is not a definitive list, and I'm sure it will get picked apart with valid debate. This is a starting point, please add your own.  

Allen Robinson seems to be progressing nicely from his ACL injury and could be a nice value next year either in Jacksonville or elsewhere.

I'm not trying to pick your list apart, and I know all leagues are different but for the sake of discussion I do not see David Johnson, Derek Carr, Jay Ajayi, Mike Evans or Amari Cooper (especially the last two) being sold at any kind of a discount - but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

A few guys I can see targeting as "buy low" types are:

Marcus Mariotta - QBs are generally pretty cheap anyway and he took a step back in his development, but is getting away from the "exotic smashmouth" system.

Teddy Bridgewater - he was progressing nicely in his development and perhaps he'll overcome the devastating injury - probably dirt cheap.

Tarik Cohen - started off on fire and then got Fox-ed. New HC coming over from KC should add some innovation to the offense. Could be their Tyreke Hill type player.

Ameer Abdullah - on the chance that the Lions don't bring in another RB (with everyone expecting that they will)

Mohammad Sanu - quietly impressed last season

Jordy Nelson - his gas tank may be empty but Aaron Rodgers will be back under center and he loves him some Jordy. Most think he's cooked so you may just get him at a steep enough discount that if you're wrong, oh well.

FWIW he is by far the most offered player to me in trades this off-season, not even close. I'm thinking he's been offered to me in over 80% of my leagues this off-season, all out of the blue, I showed no prior or immediate interest. So if you believe, he is probably available at a reasonable price.

I'm not trying to pick your list apart, and I know all leagues are different but for the sake of discussion I do not see David Johnson, Derek Carr, Jay Ajayi, Mike Evans or Amari Cooper (especially the last two) being sold at any kind of a discount - but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

A few guys I can see targeting as "buy low" types are:

Marcus Mariotta - QBs are generally pretty cheap anyway and he took a step back in his development, but is getting away from the "exotic smashmouth" system.

Teddy Bridgewater - he was progressing nicely in his development and perhaps he'll overcome the devastating injury - probably dirt cheap.

Tarik Cohen - started off on fire and then got Fox-ed. New HC coming over from KC should add some innovation to the offense. Could be their Tyreke Hill type player.

Ameer Abdullah - on the chance that the Lions don't bring in another RB (with everyone expecting that they will)

Jordy Nelson - his gas tank may be empty but Aaron Rodgers will be back under center and he loves him some Jordy. Most think he's cooked so you may just get him at a steep enough discount that if you're wrong, oh well.
Very good additions to the list! Nelson was a omission on my part, probably because I have him already in most of my  leagues and I'm holding him. 

To be clear, are these players being shopped in every league, no. But can you find some ways to get values, yes. For example, if you have a league where a owner has Adayi and he has 3 other high quality RB's you might be able to swing a deal on the cheap. The same with a Cooper. If an owner has Cooper and 4 other WR's that are producing better then him, they might be willing to cut the cord for a shinny rookie pick. This list is situational. You look for a player who has high value in your eyes, but MIGHT be expendable to another owner. 

I have found that this is a perfect time to trade those shinny rookie picks in for a value on a quality veteran. Especially when we see "path to the draft" coverage, Dynasty owners are hit with rookie mania and are prone to give up on quality players for what is basically a lottery ticket. 

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW he is by far the most offered player to me in trades this off-season, not even close. I'm thinking he's been offered to me in over 80% of my leagues this off-season, all out of the blue, I showed no prior or immediate interest. So if you believe, he is probably available at a reasonable price.
Yeah, maybe people actually see him as a "sell high". I'm not advocating for him as a future star, but think he's developing into a solid player that still has a bit of upside.

Pierre Garcon...San Fran gave him big money last offseason and he was on-pace for 80+ receptions and over 1,000 yards (don't ask about the TDs) with a subpar QB before he got hurt...with Jimmy G under center he could have a sneaky good year and at his age you may be able to get him pretty cheap in a Dynasty League...

Pierre Garcon...San Fran gave him big money last offseason and he was on-pace for 80+ receptions and over 1,000 yards (don't ask about the TDs) with a subpar QB before he got hurt...with Jimmy G under center he could have a sneaky good year and at his age you may be able to get him pretty cheap in a Dynasty League...
Great call Garçon should do very well with the current staff and Jimmy G. I think he’s one of the best values you can get right now 

Great call Garçon should do very well with the current staff and Jimmy G. I think he’s one of the best values you can get right now 
I like the fact that the current administration is the one that gave him this contract...it means he is part of their plan...

Jeremy Hill is another guy that that fits the profile here...after a terrific rookie year things headed south quickly but he still put up 21 TDs combined in 2015-2016...he is only 25 years old and now an unrestricted FA...the hope is with a change of scenery he figures things out and lands in a spot where he could turn into a LaGarette Blount type of fantasy player...not good enough to be a #1 but part of an RBBC where he can be fantasy relevant...

Tyler Eifert and John Brown come to mind. Eifert is really cheap and Brown is free. I agree with above poster about Emmanuel Sanders also

Quincy enunwa could be on the ww and is forgotten man in a forgotten place for fantasy relevance. He was trending nicely before his season was lost, paving the way for Anderson. Probably cheap or an easy throw in on a trade that could lead the jets in receiving. 

Eric Ebron has frustrated owners that were hoping for top 5 numbers, but has followed a pretty decent arc for te development. A reasonable path to get there would be simply to add some tds, and he could do that with the limited red zone options in Detroit. He lost some work early in the year to fells which would have looked nice on his stat sheet. Perhaps he just plateaus, but I think what you’ve seen is a reasonable floor to expect and he could certainly still take a step forward. 

Corey Coleman has shown some flashes but has had some random hand injuries. He’s still fast though, and owners see the lack of production + browns and say “meh”. I traded Coleman this offseason, for Ebron :shrug:

While I don’t think treadwell is anything but a wasted roster spot at this point, if he is shopped to a different team it could be good for him. He’s still only 22. Now might be the time to make a lowball offer before he gets traded, his value may never be lower. 

With a lack of weapons in SF why not throw a late pick at treadwell and kick the tires? Every wr to SF time of the year!!!

Does anyone really expect Garcon to the WR1 next year? With all that cap space, they are going to bring someone else in for Jimmy to throw to.

Does anyone really expect Garcon to the WR1 next year? With all that cap space, they are going to bring someone else in for Jimmy to throw to.
I think he very well may be. He's a solid veteran and fits the mold of a Shanahan WR. I'm just not sure they go the free agent route despite having cap space, and honestly there aren't that many great options in free agency, especially if the Jags do franchise Robinson as reported. I could see them using the #9 pick on a WR, and with Garcon as the veteran go to guy, Goodwin stretching the field, maybe a "Kendell Wright" type veteran for depth and Celek/Kittle at TE - that's not a bad unit.

I think he very well may be. He's a solid veteran and fits the mold of a Shanahan WR. I'm just not sure they go the free agent route despite having cap space, and honestly there aren't that many great options in free agency, especially if the Jags do franchise Robinson as reported. I could see them using the #9 pick on a WR, and with Garcon as the veteran go to guy, Goodwin stretching the field, maybe a "Kendell Wright" type veteran for depth and Celek/Kittle at TE - that's not a bad unit.
Yup, definitely a possibility...and even if they do add a big time WR I don't think it hurts Garcon...he is more of a possession guy and another quality WR or two could take some heat off of him and free him up...

Where is anyone saying that?
Does it really matter if anyone is saying it? They're playing with monopoly money over there. 

Well, that's why he's cheap. I think most people sense he's at a risk to lose targets. He's also going to be 32 when the season starts. What a bad contract. At least they front loaded it, but if they cut him after this season, they still have $7.2M in dead cap space.

Yup, definitely a possibility...and even if they do add a big time WR I don't think it hurts Garcon...he is more of a possession guy and another quality WR or two could take some heat off of him and free him up...
:confused:  How does that not hurt him? He's never been very efficient with his targets. Well, I take it back. He had one year where he caught 69%. But historically he only catches about 60%, has a low YPR, and low TD rate. Dude needs volume. Any threat to volume will tank his fantasy value. 

Well, that's why he's cheap. I think most people sense he's at a risk to lose targets.
He's cheap because of the uncertainty (and his age) - that doesn't mean that these fears will come to fruition. That's the whole point of this thread: buying guys that are priced low for various reasons that could return a positive compared to their cost.

We haven't seen Garcon and Garoppolo play together yet. Garcon's best season was his 2nd year with Shanahan in Washington. 

He's cheap because of the uncertainty (and his age) - that doesn't mean that these fears will come to fruition. That's the whole point of this thread: buying guys that are priced low for various reasons that could return a positive compared to their cost.
Well, the OP's quote was "What players are you looking to trade for this year that has poor years that you think you can "flip" for a nice return for owners that may have given up too soon?" and I'd argue Garcon will have almost no value in 12 months.

I mean, if the idea was to find cheap but risky one year rentals then I guess Garcon fits, but I'd put his current odds of finishing top 24 in points per game below 50% (because I think the odds they bring someone in are above 50%).

Does it really matter if anyone is saying it? They're playing with monopoly money over there. 

Well, that's why he's cheap. I think most people sense he's at a risk to lose targets. He's also going to be 32 when the season starts. What a bad contract. At least they front loaded it, but if they cut him after this season, they still have $7.2M in dead cap space.

:confused:  How does that not hurt him? He's never been very efficient with his targets. Well, I take it back. He had one year where he caught 69%. But historically he only catches about 60%, has a low YPR, and low TD rate. Dude needs volume. Any threat to volume will tank his fantasy value. 
Are you making the case he has been a WR1 in the past?  I think he has always been what he is and I have never seen that as a #1...

Well, the OP's quote was "What players are you looking to trade for this year that has poor years that you think you can "flip" for a nice return for owners that may have given up too soon?" and I'd argue Garcon will have almost no value in 12 months.

I mean, if the idea was to find cheap but risky one year rentals then I guess Garcon fits, but I'd put his current odds of finishing top 24 in points per game below 50% (because I think the odds they bring someone in are above 50%).
duly noted

Are you making the case he has been a WR1 in the past?  I think he has always been what he is and I have never seen that as a #1...
He has needed WR1 volume to be a WR2. I mean, it's kind of crazy that he was WR1 in targets in 2013 and finished WR13 in 0ppr. So my logic is that if he's getting WR2 targets next year, he's unlikely to finish as a fantasy WR2. He's got a career catch rate of 60.5% and career YPR of 12.5 and he's going to be 32. If he gets 110 targets next year, that's 67 receptions x 12.5 = 834 yards. Even if he matches his career high with 6 TDs, that's 11.65 ppr ppg which would've ranked somewhere in 45th in 2016 and 32nd in 2017. 

He has needed WR1 volume to be a WR2. I mean, it's kind of crazy that he was WR1 in targets in 2013 and finished WR13 in 0ppr. So my logic is that if he's getting WR2 targets next year, he's unlikely to finish as a fantasy WR2. He's got a career catch rate of 60.5% and career YPR of 12.5 and he's going to be 32. If he gets 110 targets next year, that's 67 receptions x 12.5 = 834 yards. Even if he matches his career high with 6 TDs, that's 11.65 ppr ppg which would've ranked somewhere in 45th in 2016 and 32nd in 2017. 
His stat line in 2013 was 113-1346-5. I think most people now play in ppr - without debating the merits of that, let's just agree that perhaps that's the disconnect here.

I don't think anyone that advocated for him in this thread (that's called "Dumpster Diving") is expecting anywhere close to that, but if things break right he could match is 2016 season 79-1.041-3 with perhaps a couple of more TDs.  

Right now they do not have that veteran #1 WR and there does not appear to be a ton of options out there and if they bring in a rookie you never know what you are getting there...right now he is in a very good situation to be productive and you can get him very cheap...I don’t think anyone is expecting a monster year...I think something along the lines of 85-90 catches for 1,000 yards or so is very doable and makes him someone with legit value...

His stat line in 2013 was 113-1346-5. I think most people now play in ppr - without debating the merits of that, let's just agree that perhaps that's the disconnect here.

I don't think anyone that advocated for him in this thread (that's called "Dumpster Diving") is expecting anywhere close to that, but if things break right he could match is 2016 season 79-1.041-3 with perhaps a couple of more TDs.  
Yes...key point are the words dumpster diving...

I know, but we all realize that ppr is much more closely tied to volume and 0ppr is much more focused on actual performance. I was using his 0ppr ranking just to highlight how crazy it is that he did so little performance-wise with so much volume. I used PPR scoring when talking about what could be expected from him and I compared that to PPR PPG from 2016 and 2017. 

The problem I see with looking at 2016 is that it is a massive outlier in terms of efficiency for him. It was by far his best YPR since his age 26 season and his 69% catch rate was the best in his career. I think at this point in his career, the best you can realistically hope for is a repeat of 2015. 

Sorry to end up picking nits here. I entered into this conversation only with the intention of finding out how many people really thought SF wasn't going to bring in a new WR1. Didn't ever intend to dissect the fantasy potential of a guy I want no part of!

Right now they do not have that veteran #1 WR and there does not appear to be a ton of options out there and if they bring in a rookie you never know what you are getting there...right now he is in a very good situation to be productive and you can get him very cheap...I don’t think anyone is expecting a monster year...I think something along the lines of 85-95 catches for 1,000 yards or so is very doable and makes him someone with legit value...
Using his historical catch rate, it would take 140 targets to hit 85 receptions. Even if they don't bring in anyone at all, I would take the under on him getting 140 targets. 

I know, but we all realize that ppr is much more closely tied to volume and 0ppr is much more focused on actual performance. I was using his 0ppr ranking just to highlight how crazy it is that he did so little performance-wise with so much volume. I used PPR scoring when talking about what could be expected from him and I compared that to PPR PPG from 2016 and 2017. 

The problem I see with looking at 2016 is that it is a massive outlier in terms of efficiency for him. It was by far his best YPR since his age 26 season and his 69% catch rate was the best in his career. I think at this point in his career, the best you can realistically hope for is a repeat of 2015. 

Sorry to end up picking nits here. I entered into this conversation only with the intention of finding out how many people really thought SF wasn't going to bring in a new WR1. Didn't ever intend to dissect the fantasy potential of a guy I want no part of!

Using his historical catch rate, it would take 140 targets to hit 85 receptions. Even if they don't bring in anyone at all, I would take the under on him getting 140 targets. 
His last three years:

2015...111 targets for 72 receptions for 770 yards and 6 TDs

2016...114 targets for 79 receptions for 1041 yards and 3 TDs

2017...67 targets for 40 receptions for 500 yards and 0 TDs...only played 7.5 games due to injury...if healthy projects to be 142 targets for 85 receptions for 1066 yards and 0 TDs...with subpar QB play so if there is more threats added will better QB play off-set it?  I will bet yes unless they bring in 2 big time WRs which I do not see how they will...

Using the projected #'s for 2017 he has averaged 79 receptions for 959 yards the past 3 years...with him being a Shanny guy and Jimmy G now at the helm I think those #'s are very reasonable to expect and while you may disagree I see this offense taking a big leap this year and feel he can top the 79/959 projection...and again, as pointed out we are talking about getting him for nothing...it may not seem flashy right now but come week 11 or 12 when injuries are piling up I will always be thankful to have a player like this on my roster to either play or deal as part of a package...

Yes, he was the WR1 on those offenses and averaged less than 80 receptions. He may or may not be the WR1 on this 2018 offense and will be 32. Again, I'll take the under on 85 receptions. If I was absolutely desperate for a WR3, I might trade a 3rd rounder for him in a full point PPR league.

I'll post my list of dumpster dive candidates in a few days. Don't want to draw attention to those guys while the WSL1 draft is still going.

One More Rep said:
Tyler Eifert and John Brown come to mind. Eifert is really cheap and Brown is free.
I like those two and that gets into discussion of players who I think have some degree of talent that are coming off awful, usually injury marred, season(s) that are now entering FA. Most people have given up on these players, I've seen them all cut in at least some leagues, but hope is a change of scenery and some good health can pick their stock back up.

Those two players you referenced along with Moncrief and Pryor would headline this group for me.

As a side note I got a FFPC team that has Brown, Moncrief and Pryor on it, for now anyway. No coincidence it was my only non-playoff dynasty team but I still believe these guys can play if they are healthy and in the right situation.

Unless you can get him super-cheap, I don't see much point in acquiring Garcon right now. As a new owner, you have to hope they A) don't cut him prior to FA due to his injury and bloated contract, B) don't bring in anybody else in FA that is a high or even mid-profile FA, and C) they don't draft anybody in the first few rounds. Any of those things happening would torpedo Garcon's fantasy value. Might as well wait and see what happens, it's unlikely his price will climb significantly even if none of those things comes to pass. You might even get him cheaper if they draft or sign someone that's not a high pick or a high-profile FA and can gamble on that new person not impacting his numbers then.

I am going to throw Doug Martin out there as a possibility.  He will be on a different team with something to prove and in the right situation will have value.  Not a lot of value but much more than he has right now.  You can get him for basically nothing and he is an easy cut if he doesn't fall in the right landing spot.

Cameron Meredith is another name I like as a cheap flyer.  The Bears offensive should be more creative and better with the coaching changes and Meredith showed he can put up good numbers.  I think he would be a cheap target to go after.  Bears don't have a WR1 and someone will get the targets.  I think it will be Meredith.

What about M. Lynch? His numbers from week 13-17 are solid. If you need a #2 RB or a flex player in the short term he might be a nice value play. 

Users who are viewing this thread