What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Rock....Not funny anymore? (1 Viewer)

Very funny and talented.  Haven't seen the new special but everyone's entitled to a clunker.

Haven't seen his latest special, but his popularity was at its apex after the "black people hate naggers more than white people do" and "hide your money in books" shtick. I've read that he regrets that routine, and it wouldn't surprise me if he were to go to some lengths to distance himself from it.

I thought it was good. My least favorite part was the black/white stuff, which I think is the second big bit, so I could see why someone would say that if that's all they saw. It gets better as it goes on. But his humor is much more "grown up" than edgy these days, which I would expect.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was ####### brilliant. It helps if you are smart, because it helps to understand the material and writing that went into it. Not to mention the craft present in the body language and delivery. Sorry you disliked it. It's probably just not for you. It takes a certain type of man, a content man with a certain type of outlook on the world, maybe even a wisdom that has been acquired from living an exciting life, in order to enjoy and recognize greatness. And that's how it should be experienced - greatness should be enjoyed. It's a lucky man who can actually sit down, relax, and enjoy Tambourine without being uncomfortable and judging it. As if the fault lied within the performance and not the viewer. I never realized how lucky I was until now. Thank you for highlighting that for me. Sorry again it wasn't for you. Wasn't your cup of tea.

Carlin was still brilliant all the way to the end. Everything he spoke was true. 
I’m a huge fan of his and don’t mind some political stuff thrown in but his last special wasn’t even funny it was like listening to your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving 

His bit about erotic asphyxiation that came later, when you guys are talking about. It made me clench my teeth. Like how did someone let him go say that. It felt like he finally got pulled into some #### that wasn't really an issue. Some stupid local news #### that he latched on to. They got him.

Has he gone the George Carlin bitter old man political ranting route?

I’m a huge fan of his and don’t mind some political stuff thrown in but his last special wasn’t even funny it was like listening to your drunk uncle at Thanksgiving 
I saw Carlin in Detroit....some of his stuff was true..and funny..but he came off as totally angry and bitter and did not seem to be enjoying himself at all.

Carlin was still brilliant all the way to the end. Everything he spoke was true. 
Perhaps, but do we really go see stand up comedy to see a truth teller?  No, we go to laugh.  Carlin was still funny at the end, but he definitely came off as the angry old man who, while still funny, had lost his fastball and was no longer gut-busting hilarious.

Perhaps, but do we really go see stand up comedy to see a truth teller?  No, we go to laugh.  Carlin was still funny at the end, but he definitely came off as the angry old man who, while still funny, had lost his fastball and was no longer gut-busting hilarious.
Even into his 60's, Carlin never seemed "old" until that last special. He also slipped a few times in delivery, which is something he never did. It was a little sad, because I knew I was watching his last HBO hour (not that I knew he was going to die fairly soon after, but he clearly wasn't the same guy). 

It was ####### brilliant. It helps if you are smart, because it helps to understand the material and writing that went into it. Not to mention the craft present in the body language and delivery. Sorry you disliked it. It's probably just not for you. It takes a certain type of man, a content man with a certain type of outlook on the world, maybe even a wisdom that has been acquired from living an exciting life, in order to enjoy and recognize greatness. And that's how it should be experienced - greatness should be enjoyed. It's a lucky man who can actually sit down, relax, and enjoy Tambourine without being uncomfortable and judging it. As if the fault lied within the performance and not the viewer. I never realized how lucky I was until now. Thank you for highlighting that for me. Sorry again it wasn't for you. Wasn't your cup of tea.
This was a good way to explain that it was actually good without being condescending whatsoever. :thumbup:  

Now I'm not saying I agree... but I understand.

Tambourine was okay. Certainly not something that would make you think Rock was a great comedian if it was the first time you saw him.

Havent seen this - i probully not  thinky enuff anyways - but have seen Rock be veryveryvery bad. His mad-preacher style and castigating tone magnifies both good & bad and requires fresh observations and tiiiight writing to keep him from sounding a hacky didact.

I thought it was okay. On the same level as Joe Rogan for me. Jim Jeffries, Bill Burr and Dave Chappelle (the second of his two part on Netflix) are the top guys for specials to me. Bryan Callen is the best I’ve seen live. 

If it's someone I really trust, love, and respect, and a bunch of jacked up stuff has been going on in society recently, then yes, I get excited to hear how a comedian is going to help me make sense of my world. I could not care less if I actually laughed at anything, as long as I'm getting some important things to consider and learn from.

Da Guru said:
I saw Carlin in Detroit....some of his stuff was true..and funny..but he came off as totally angry and bitter and did not seem to be enjoying himself at all.
I know people really loved his comedy, but that's kind of how I viewed a lot of his stuff - he was just so bitter and angry it wasn't funny when it should have been. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a very good special, IMO.  A couple chuckles, but nothing memorable.  I found the smokey background kind of distracting.  Guess we can't thank Bo Burnham for that since he directed it.  That's one talented, smart guy right there though.  

Users who are viewing this thread