What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Make this trade for Shady McCoy? (1 Viewer)

Conanthecontrarian

Footballguy
Was offered LMcCoy and John Brown WR ARI for my Robert Woods, 2018 1.10 rookie pick and 2019 4th round rookie pick. I overachieved last season and after getting a 1st round bye, got bounced in my first playoff game.

It is a 12 tm non-ppr Zealots league where we start 8 offensive players (1 QB, 1-3 RBs, 2-5 WRs and 1-4 TEs).

My roster is:

QB- MRyan, Tannehill, Kizer

RB- MLynch,Crowell,Mixon, AP, McKinnon, Riddick

WR - KAllen, Thielen, Baldwin, Marvin Jones, Robert Woods, GTate, KBenjamin, MBryant

TE- Henry, Kelce, Fiedorowicz

I obviously need help at RB, but don't feel McCoy is the answer. He only has 2-3 years left. I also think I overachieved this past season and don't think I'm one RB away from a title. 

The other owners RBs are Fournette, JHill, AJones, TMontgomery so not much else of interest on his roster.

Is it worth a counter of my 2.10 pick and KBenjamin for McCoy?

I wouldn’t want to give more than that for a rental. If he won’t accept find someone else- you have some assets that could get you something. 

I wouldn’t want to give more than that for a rental. If he won’t accept find someone else- you have some assets that could get you something. 
Thanks for the reply. I countered the offer and I'll see what happens. If I was to make an offer for DJohnson would my 2018 1st, Golden Tate and Hunter Henry be a reasonable offer? Some owners seem to be down on Johnson because he is coming back from injury and Arizona's QB is unknown at the moment. 

Thanks for the reply. I countered the offer and I'll see what happens. If I was to make an offer for DJohnson would my 2018 1st, Golden Tate and Hunter Henry be a reasonable offer? Some owners seem to be down on Johnson because he is coming back from injury and Arizona's QB is unknown at the moment. 
Probably too little for DJ but you never know.

With your WR's I don't have a problem making that move for McCoy.  He still has a couple years value left in him and you never know what happens once the season starts.  If you fall out of contention early you can move McCoy in season to a contender for a decent haul and recoup the high pick you gave up to get him.  If he accepts you counter even better but if he doesn't exchange Woods for Benjamin from your counter and see if he bites on that. 

Snorkelson said:
Probably too little for DJ but you never know.
If so, hopefully it results in a counter-offer. Unfortunately in this league counter-offers rarely occur. A trade offer results in a rejection with no feedback. I have asked a couple of owners why they don't counter and they say because they want to see how much more somebody is willing to offer. The result is not much trading happens in the league.

I'd counter with Woods and 2nd for McCoy which I think is closer on paper.  You're taking the lion's share of the risk given McCoy's age though I like what he can do for you in terms of solidifying your RB spot.  If he comes back with the first, try to get another player or a 2nd rounder back. 

With your WR's I don't have a problem making that move for McCoy.  He still has a couple years value left in him and you never know what happens once the season starts.  If you fall out of contention early you can move McCoy in season to a contender for a decent haul and recoup the high pick you gave up to get him.  If he accepts you counter even better but if he doesn't exchange Woods for Benjamin from your counter and see if he bites on that. 
If the bolded above was true, I would not hesitate to make the trade. I am starting my 3rd season in this league after taking over an orphan team and trading is a rarity. The exception is one owner who trades away almost all of his rookie draft picks during the season and the early offseason. As we approach our rookie draft date, he works feverishly sending out trade offers to get his draft picks or others draft picks back. His nickname in the league is Trader Vic.

The current McCoy owner joined our league last season and took over a last place team where the previous owner sold off his older players for picks and youth to start to rebuild. The current owner traded a 2017 1st and 3rd (traded back the picks the previous owner had acquired from Trader Vic)for McCoy and made some other deals involving picks and youth to acquire Greg Olsen, Rishard Matthews,etc. He ended up in last place again this season and now wants to sell off these older assets for the price he paid or close to it. 

The problem is, nobody is looking to acquire older players in this league. I have tried to trade Baldwin for two seasons only to be told " he's too old, not interested" by teams desperate for starting WRs. I tried to trade Lynch to a team decimated by injuries at RB and also had no luck. 

The reality is if I make this trade, McCoy will be on my roster until he is no longer in the NFL. 

If the bolded above was true, I would not hesitate to make the trade. I am starting my 3rd season in this league after taking over an orphan team and trading is a rarity. The exception is one owner who trades away almost all of his rookie draft picks during the season and the early offseason. As we approach our rookie draft date, he works feverishly sending out trade offers to get his draft picks or others draft picks back. His nickname in the league is Trader Vic.

The current McCoy owner joined our league last season and took over a last place team where the previous owner sold off his older players for picks and youth to start to rebuild. The current owner traded a 2017 1st and 3rd (traded back the picks the previous owner had acquired from Trader Vic)for McCoy and made some other deals involving picks and youth to acquire Greg Olsen, Rishard Matthews,etc. He ended up in last place again this season and now wants to sell off these older assets for the price he paid or close to it. 

The problem is, nobody is looking to acquire older players in this league. I have tried to trade Baldwin for two seasons only to be told " he's too old, not interested" by teams desperate for starting WRs. I tried to trade Lynch to a team decimated by injuries at RB and also had no luck. 

The reality is if I make this trade, McCoy will be on my roster until he is no longer in the NFL. 
That sucks.  Typically in any dynasty league I have been in, owners that are in contention and going for the title will make in season trades for older commodities as they look to push towards a title.  McCoy is a prime player that fits that bill.  He has a lot of current year value if you are in contention (top 10-ish RB) and giving up a late 1st rounder for that type of player usually is a key way champions get the trophy. 

If your league doesn't think that way it will make it harder to trade away those pieces but on the other side it's something you can take advantage of and get good deals on aging players will good current year performance while pushing for a title.  You have to get in the position to push for a title but it would be something I would be looking to take advantage of since nobody else is doing it.

For me, I usually only look at 2 yr blocks (a little less than the 3-4 yr blocks most of most dynasty leagues).  It has been successful for me because I can get older players that still are producing for virtually nothing and they become key pieces every year and are easily dropped as their performance lessens for the next set of older producing players.  Too many dynasty owners forget about those players because they want the shiny new toys but having that depth has always kept me in contention.

Then send him relatively lowball offers on McCoy.  Sounds like older players have an overall depressed value, so you should be able to get him for cheap.

Not too sure how your league drafts, but in our league 6-7 of the first 9 picks will be RBs.  Who would you be targeting with the 1.10?  Of course there is always a Kareem Hunt or two out there, but it's unlikely that you find an RB that will help you as much as Shady over the next two years.  Another potential counter would be to try to get a 2018 2nd in lieu of John Brown.  Your team should hunt if you can shore up your RB situation.  TE is strong; WR is solid; and QB workable.  I think you are on to something with considering Tate in a transaction; particularly since you also have Jones.  You have good pieces, so hopefully you can put something together.

Brown and the 4th are trade fluff... the gist is Shady for Woods plus 1.10.

If Shady was the final piece, I might consider it... but you are a few players from contention.  

In your shoes you should be acquiring players whose value might go up... no one is saying that about Shady.

Users who are viewing this thread