What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Identity Theft is the Suck (1 Viewer)

Fishboy

Footballguy
Got a call from a local branch of TCF Bank in Findley, MN.  I guess someone withdrew 6500 from a local branch in a Cub Food store.  They apparently had an IL ID with my wife's information.  I guess they then went to another branch nearby and tried to do it again and got turned away.  

How they allowed that withdrawal with an IL ID at a MN bank when we live in WI is beyond me.  Heck, I just tried to cash a check from an owner in my fantasy league for $30 and I had to enter my pin # for them to cash it at my local branch in WI.  

Have to go to my local branch tomorrow, as they aren't open here in WI on Sunday's.  LOL, they told me I "should" be refunded the $$.  How can they not refund?  They were the ones that handed over 6500 of my money to someone else.  

It's been a joy this afternoon contacting my local and the local MN police departments and contacting all my credit card companies to close/reissue new cards.  

Got a call from a local branch of TCF Bank in Findley, MN.  I guess someone withdrew 6500 from a local branch in a Cub Food store.  They apparently had an IL ID with my wife's information.  I guess they then went to another branch nearby and tried to do it again and got turned away.  

How they allowed that withdrawal with an IL ID at a MN bank when we live in WI is beyond me.  Heck, I just tried to cash a check from an owner in my fantasy league for $30 and I had to enter my pin # for them to cash it at my local branch in WI.  

Have to go to my local branch tomorrow, as they aren't open here in WI on Sunday's.  LOL, they told me I "should" be refunded the $$.  How can they not refund?  They were the ones that handed over 6500 of my money to someone else.  

It's been a joy this afternoon contacting my local and the local MN police departments and contacting all my credit card companies to close/reissue new cards.  
Wonder if you will have an issue tomorrow since it is a Federal Holiday. Check before you head over!!

Been there.  8 checks of low enough value written against my checking account.  It was ~$800.  I don’t keep a lot of  :moneybag:  in checking for good reason.  Naturally BOA dipped into my wife’s savings account to get the difference.  Then of course they charged us an overdraft fee as well.  Someone got a hold of a mortgage check, but couldn’t wash it since I use indelible ink.  So they wrote against the account for another account instead.  This would have looked real obvious to me if I saw it, but that’s me.  BOA was actually really cool about it. We opened up a new checking account and they ported over all my bill paying to the new account.  It could have been a lot worse.  Good luck.

Bank opens at 9.  I'll be waiting in line.  I guess the bank in MN has security footage.  Now, whether they'll pursue the matter or not I guess is up to them.  

corporate office just called.  They got another withdrawal for 4500.  Now we're at 11K and growing.  WTF?!?

Fishboy said:
corporate office just called.  They got another withdrawal for 4500.  Now we're at 11K and growing.  WTF?!?
Dang.  Hang in there.  It will get sorted out tomorrow.

After 2 1/2 hours I think we have this all straightened out.  Had to close out all my accounts and open all new ones.  I asked how that would be any different than it was yesterday, and they were a bit Shuked.  They just showed an IL fake ID with my wife's info at the MN branch and they gave them the money.  They pulled the Drivers License info from the false ID and it no where near matched the real ID number.  Why they collect it and not match it to what is on file is beyond me?!?  

I "should" get that money back, but it could be a month or longer.  Should?  I said it was YOUR employee that gave MY money to someone not me.  Now the joy to change all my direct deposits from payroll and figuring out what each expense is linked to in terms of bank account or credit card.  

After 2 1/2 hours I think we have this all straightened out.  Had to close out all my accounts and open all new ones.  I asked how that would be any different than it was yesterday, and they were a bit Shuked.  They just showed an IL fake ID with my wife's info at the MN branch and they gave them the money.  They pulled the Drivers License info from the false ID and it no where near matched the real ID number.  Why they collect it and not match it to what is on file is beyond me?!?  

I "should" get that money back, but it could be a month or longer.  Should?  I said it was YOUR employee that gave MY money to someone not me.  Now the joy to change all my direct deposits from payroll and figuring out what each expense is linked to in terms of bank account or credit card.  
Keep a list this time, not necessarily with account numbers, just with names of the accounts. Paycheck - Bank (Checking) or something like that.

We got our money back the same day from BOA.    Happened to us as well.   Only around 6k if I remember.    The P.I.T.A. was canceling all the direct deposit, auto billpays, and starting them all back up again.     

I would double check your tax return as well.   We got hit the last two years, and have to use a top secret pin to file now  FOREVER!     

"Drink More Ovaltine" is our password. 

Call the fraud department. Explain that someone stole your identity. Ask them to close or freeze the accounts. Then, no one can add new charges unless you agree.

Change logins, passwords, and PINs for your accounts.

To place a fraud alert, contact one of the three credit bureaus. That company must tell the other two.

Experian.com/fraudalert
1-888-397-3742

TransUnion.com/fraud
1-800-680-7289

Equifax.com/CreditReportAssistance
1-888-766-0008

Get your free credit reports from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Go to annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.

Go to IdentityTheft.gov or call 1-877-438-4338. Include as many details as possible.

Based on the information you enter, IdentityTheft.gov will create your Identity Theft Report and personal recovery plan.

Good Luck. 

Call the fraud department. Explain that someone stole your identity. Ask them to close or freeze the accounts. Then, no one can add new charges unless you agree.

Change logins, passwords, and PINs for your accounts.

To place a fraud alert, contact one of the three credit bureaus. That company must tell the other two.

Experian.com/fraudalert
1-888-397-3742

TransUnion.com/fraud
1-800-680-7289

Equifax.com/CreditReportAssistance
1-888-766-0008

Get your free credit reports from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Go to annualcreditreport.com or call 1-877-322-8228.

Go to IdentityTheft.gov or call 1-877-438-4338. Include as many details as possible.

Based on the information you enter, IdentityTheft.gov will create your Identity Theft Report and personal recovery plan.

Good Luck. 
Thanks!  Police and bank gave me a similar list.  

Same here, BOA was great. I suggest you file a police report as well
Contacted both the police here at home and the other in MN where the withdrawals took place.  

Now to figure out how to change my direct deposit.  Been here way too long to have any idea how to change that.  

Contacted both the police here at home and the other in MN where the withdrawals took place.  

Now to figure out how to change my direct deposit.  Been here way too long to have any idea how to change that.  
Go to human resources at work they can do it for you.   Or, the bank should be able to help. 

Go to human resources at work they can do it for you.   Or, the bank should be able to help. 
LOL, I am in HR and still had to go to the corporate intranet to figure it out.   :bag:

Well, in the recruiting/staffing side of HR, so I have a little bit of an excuse.  

How do we know that YOU'RE really @Fishboy???

That sucks man, sorry.

Someone did this with my wife’s info. The advice given so far in this thead does not go nearly far enough. 

1. Create SSA My Accounts ASAP. So you can control your SSN and watch for someone trying to use your benefits.

2. FREEZE your credit at all four agencies.

3. Place a fraud alert at Chex Systems for your wife. It lasts for 7 years. 

4. Leave TCF for a better bank like US Bank or BOA. Inform them of an ID theft and they will place a flag on your accounts for the branch tellers.

so some #### did this to my wife but they also had her SSN. So this person went in a spree through California a month ago. Fake ID, the whole nine yards. At almost any store, if you have an account there, they will walk out with as much merch as they can carry. There is nearly zero fraud detection at almost all retailers, including car rental agencies. As we found out LOL.

A month seems like a ridicously long time to get your money back. What if they cleaned out your account? 
They claim it should be a matter of days, but could take up to the 30+ days for them to do their investigation.   I guess I get it and have plenty of cushion to absorb.  But with so many people living week to week and paycheck to paycheck, not sure how they'd do it.  

I felt lost, as I literally had minimal cash, couldn't access anything via ATM and shut down all my credit cards.  I told the wife we may not eat tonight, as I had no way to pay at the grocery store.  

unmother eff ing believable. 

Closed my old account yesterday - opened a new  checking account yesterday.  Today, they withdrew $4500 from the NEW account.  What a sorry, incompetent bank.  

And I had to find out by logging onto the online app to notice.  

Withdrawing all my money first thing tomorrow morning.  

HFS. Gl with all of this.

Wife found out over the weekend while we were away that both of our kids savings accounts were hacked for the same amount on the same day (TD bank, about 800).

Closed my old account yesterday - opened a new  checking account yesterday.  Today, they withdrew $4500 from the NEW account.  What a sorry, incompetent bank.  

WOW!

Drive through opens at 8, lobby opens at 9.  I'm just pulling up at 8 and telling whoever at the window that I would like to withdraw all my money over the 5 accounts.  

They best open the doors for me.  

Been there.  8 checks of low enough value written against my checking account.  It was ~$800.  I don’t keep a lot of  :moneybag:  in checking for good reason.  Naturally BOA dipped into my wife’s savings account to get the difference.  Then of course they charged us an overdraft fee as well.  Someone got a hold of a mortgage check, but couldn’t wash it since I use indelible ink.  So they wrote against the account for another account instead.  This would have looked real obvious to me if I saw it, but that’s me.  BOA was actually really cool about it. We opened up a new checking account and they ported over all my bill paying to the new account.  It could have been a lot worse.  Good luck.
Who writes check anymore?  Time for auto withdrawals.

Drive through opens at 8, lobby opens at 9.  I'm just pulling up at 8 and telling whoever at the window that I would like to withdraw all my money over the 5 accounts.  

They best open the doors for me.  
Better not be above 10K.  Most banks don't keep more than that in cash without advance arrangements.

Good luck.

Someone did this with my wife’s info. The advice given so far in this thead does not go nearly far enough. 

1. Create SSA My Accounts ASAP. So you can control your SSN and watch for someone trying to use your benefits.

2. FREEZE your credit at all four agencies.

3. Place a fraud alert at Chex Systems for your wife. It lasts for 7 years. 

4. Leave TCF for a better bank like US Bank or BOA. Inform them of an ID theft and they will place a flag on your accounts for the branch tellers.

so some #### did this to my wife but they also had her SSN. So this person went in a spree through California a month ago. Fake ID, the whole nine yards. At almost any store, if you have an account there, they will walk out with as much merch as they can carry. There is nearly zero fraud detection at almost all retailers, including car rental agencies. As we found out LOL.
What's the fourth agency aside from Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian?

Who writes check anymore?  Time for auto withdrawals.
At the time, my mortgage company only allowed payment through their system as an auto withdrawal or one time paymemt with fee.  I prefer to pay through my bank and can now do so.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Fishboy will be arrested for fraud.

Make sure you have some change when you cash out so you can throw pennies in the lobby on the way out

So the new accounts thing failed because of the way they are defrauding the bank.  With ID and proper information, the tellers will look up your accounts to assist the "customer" standing in front of them.  Changing banks might be the only hope at this point, but I would not say that to them, just have them put a freeze on your accounts and let them do their investigation.  After the money has returned, then you close your accounts and move on with life.

This also gives time for all of your DD and other autopayments to reset to the new bank.  Also file police reports and do all of the fraud alerts that people above are suggesting.  And since they seem to have most, if not all, of your wife's information, you might have to freeze her credit cards as a preemptive strike. Bright side, the thief might be spending less than your wife would have, so you have that going for you.

I would imagine the thief has has SSN. Freeze her credit right now. Or expect about 15 new credit cards and accompanying bills in the mail in about a week. 

If they are ballsy enough to literally rob a bank, you bet your ### they will have no problem defeating the 16 year old Best Buy cashier as well. 

It's unreal that the bank didn't have some sort of fraud alert on the account to prevent that. What a horrible bank.

The low life pieces of gutter trash that steal like this, when caught they should be put away for life with the worst of the worst. I don't care what it costs to keep them locked up for life. Put them in with murderers and such & throw away the key. Maybe future dirt balls will think twice about trying this.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the new accounts thing failed because of the way they are defrauding the bank.  With ID and proper information, the tellers will look up your accounts to assist the "customer" standing in front of them.  Changing banks might be the only hope at this point, but I would not say that to them, just have them put a freeze on your accounts and let them do their investigation.  After the money has returned, then you close your accounts and move on with life.

This also gives time for all of your DD and other autopayments to reset to the new bank.  Also file police reports and do all of the fraud alerts that people above are suggesting.  And since they seem to have most, if not all, of your wife's information, you might have to freeze her credit cards as a preemptive strike. Bright side, the thief might be spending less than your wife would have, so you have that going for you.
Thanks. Good info. Credit already frozen and new cards issued. 

Police reports now filled in multiple MN cities. 

I'm withdrawing all funds today regardless. 

To really freak some people out, there is a new twist that these scum are doing.  They are using their fake ID and advancing the available funds from your open home equity line and wiring the funds out.  And they have all the ID needed to do it without raising red flags from the bank.  

To really freak some people out, there is a new twist that these scum are doing.  They are using their fake ID and advancing the available funds from your open home equity line and wiring the funds out.  And they have all the ID needed to do it without raising red flags from the bank.  
thankfully the house is paid for and no line of equity. 

Bright side is that I got a 300 credit for checking and 200 credit for savings for moving my accounts to the new bank this afternoon. 

try this from reddit:

This happened last week, and I got an identity thief located hundreds of miles away from me arrested.

At 6:45pm, I received a text message alert notifying me of a transaction on one of my credit cards for the amount of $51.87 from one of the largest PIZZA Chains here in the US. Since I did not make this purchase I knew right away that someone must have gotten my CC somehow, and used it to purchase some dinner. I had to act fast, I phoned my card company and got through to a representative who located the charge. I informed him that this was a fraudulent transaction and if they could provide me with the Pizza Chain’s store number or any information that merchants include like a zip code or store number. He read off a series of numbers which I assumed was a store # so I Google’d that along with the name Pizza Chain. I was told the transaction would be covered under the company’s fraud reversal program. The store number brings up a location 500 miles away but in the same time zone. Since this thief ordered a Pizza, I wanted to let the business know if they can confirm the fraudulent charge, and see what they would do if they were being notified by the me that I was the victim of identity theft that they were being scammed and likely have a charge back for this order.
7:11pm I was connected with the store manager, who was very interested in this order. They confirmed the total went through and that the purchase was a delivery order. This Manager of the Pizza Chain would not disclose any personally identifying information to me, but I did over hear her talking with the driver who delivered the pizza. She wanted to catch this customer, because using stolen CCs is stealing. Business owners will agree that chargebacks are the worst. She wanted to notify the police after we spoke. I wanted to know what kind of tip was left and I was told te thief left a $5 tip, and the delivery was to a local motel. WOW. The manager informed me that she was going to file a police report where the crime took place and I did the same in my respective city.

By 7:31pm I was able to provide my report over the phone, to my local PD. At first, I was hoping that they would pay a visit to the thief or to the Pizza Chain. Upon leaving my report of what happened, I was told by the local cop said that they will forward my report to the PD where the Pizza order took place. At this point, It did not sound like anything would be done, so I assumed this would fizzle out and I don’t find out who had ordered a pizza delivery 500 Miles away with one of my credit cards. 10:28pm I am called by a police from the city where the pizza was ordered, asking to review what happened and because I was a victim, the officer asked if I would entertain the idea of appearing in their court to provide evidence (victim/witness testimony) regarding what happened. He then asked if he should do a visit at the thief’s motel room, with the information he was provided. At this point I assume the manager of the Pizza Chain released the location of the thief who stole my CC numbers to order pizza. I told the cop to go for it, see if they are home and put a scare in them at least. The next day, I have a voice mail from the police saying that they were able to make contact with the thief and that he had over 26 credit card details that were stolen. He was arrested that night.

Edited out the pizza business’s name. Updated my encounter with police officer’s questions regarding making contact/pressing charges.

TLDR; Identify thieves are winning and stolen CC information from security breaches in the company’s and systems we thought we used to be able to trust, but now this is no longer the case. Program all your payment methods to send a text or email to notify you every time a transaction takes place. Had I not received that text, I would have never seen that fraudulent charge, and was able to respond as quickly as I did.

Users who are viewing this thread