What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2018 NFL combine thread (1 Viewer)

Hankmoody

Footballguy
The NFL Combine is February 27th - March 5th with workouts taking place March 2nd - March 5th.

http://www.nfl.com/combine

Combine workout schedule:
» Friday, Mar 2: RB, OL, PK, ST
» Saturday, Mar 3: QB, WR, TE
» Sunday, Mar 4: DL, LB
» Monday, Mar 5: DB

I got my tickets confirmed for Friday - RB, OL, PK, ST so I'll get an up-close look at a lot of the guys I'm most interested in seeing.  I have some equipment responsibilities in Indy so I'm hoping to get the company to pay for the mileage and a room the night before!  I should be able to make a case for that.

The NFL Combine is February 27th - March 5th with workouts taking place March 2nd - March 5th.

http://www.nfl.com/combine

Combine workout schedule:
» Friday, Mar 2: RB, OL, PK, ST
» Saturday, Mar 3: QB, WR, TE
» Sunday, Mar 4: DL, LB
» Monday, Mar 5: DB

I got my tickets confirmed for Friday - RB, OL, PK, ST so I'll get an up-close look at a lot of the guys I'm most interested in seeing.  I have some equipment responsibilities in Indy so I'm hoping to get the company to pay for the mileage and a room the night before!  I should be able to make a case for that.
How much are tickets and how easy are they to purchase?  I may have to go next season.

Wonder why the NFL doesn't place the Group 3/RBs on-field workouts with either the QBs/WRs/TEs on Sat or the DLs and LBs on Sunday, if only to maximize ratings. Perhaps it's load balancing given the number of players at each position, and makes sense to keep QBs/WRs together.

I'm just thinking of the juice the NFL can get by positioning their prime RB crop's 40 trials on prime time rather than on a Fri when most of us are still slogging through the work week.

Wonder why the NFL doesn't place the Group 3/RBs on-field workouts with either the QBs/WRs/TEs on Sat or the DLs and LBs on Sunday, if only to maximize ratings. Perhaps it's load balancing given the number of players at each position, and makes sense to keep QBs/WRs together.

I'm just thinking of the juice the NFL can get by positioning their prime RB crop's 40 trials on prime time rather than on a Fri when most of us are still slogging through the work week.
Wondered the same thing when I looked at the schedule today. 

What time do the RBs run 40?

ETA: NFL Combine tracker says RBs don’t  go til Saturday. Think it’s wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it would hurt his draft status, but that would be disappointing. 

Of the top 10 or so RBs, who do you think the 40 matters the most for? Jones?
I think Rashaad Penny has the most to gain in the 40. I believe one of Penny's knocks is that he doesn't have that second gear to burn defender's after he breaks through the LOS, so while a mediocre showing on the 40 probably won't hurt him too much, I think he has the most to gain by putting up a strong number.

Not that it would hurt his draft status, but that would be disappointing. 

I would say Rashaad Penny can boost his rank if he runs fast...I think he can potentially get in the top 3- 4 with a good time.

FWIW, they assign numbers to combine participants based by alphabetical order of last name, and looks like (at least with the OLs) they are running them in more or less sequential order. Barkley is wearing #3, so if you want to watch in real time, tune in to http://www.nfl.com/combine/live at 1.

Love watching the OL run -- big men jiggling hard through molasses. I get that this kind of drill provides a baseline for comparison, and while there has to be correlation to overall athleticism, it also has to be more correlatable to RBs/WRs/DBs/S than any other position. I can see it mattering more for DLine than OLine.

So how much do NFL scouts/GMs/coaches really give a hoot about an O lineman's 40 time? If anything, maybe their 10 yard split is more of a relatable measure for explosion than their overall time?

Hard for me to  say for sure because I tend to think it matters relative to other tests. I got a few key workouts I pay attention to for RB's and I don't need or expect a RB to ace them all but I like to see a solid showing in at least one of them.

Knowing what I know now I'd say it's big for Guice. He had some questions on his long speed and if he can come in at 223 pounds and run well I think it would be big for him. But in general I'll think the 40 will matter the most to whichever of those top 40 RB's did not test well in some other key workouts.

From Rotoworld:

Orlando Brown - T - Player

Oklahoma OT Orlando Brown measured 6-foot-7 7/8 and 345 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

It's been a Combine to forget for Brown, the son of the late Orlando Brown Sr., who played in the NFL for the Browns and Ravens. Brown came to Indy as a potential first- or second-round pick next month, but he's done nothing but hurt his stock. He ran a molasses-slow 5.85 forty, bench-pressed 225 pounds just 14 times, and posted a dreadful 19.5-inch vertical. His 2.00-second 10-yard split was the worst in Combine history. Coaches also got after him for loafing during on-field drills. Brown's stock is in an absolute free-fall.

Nyheim Hines goes 4.39 in his first run, fastest so far.

Ronald Jones II's first run: 4.66. Something happened midway.

ETA: Don't know if Jones ran a second time.

Sony Michel's first run: 4.58

ETA: Great job, NFL.com. We can't see Michel's second run time given another lame interview segment. Horrid, horrid coverage.

2nd run: 4.51

Coverage of the times on NFL.com breaks away from commentary and info on the runners to an incredibly stupid fluff piece that seemingly will never end looking through KJ Malone's social media pics. Good god. Get back to the damned coverage -- can't even see the times these guys are running, dammit.

Users who are viewing this thread