What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

The night before the draft....

That KC/Seattle trade was crazy in my eyes - KC had a pretty darn good young pass rusher and basically flipped him and a 1st to pay more to Clark....no wonder Seattle was brazenly demanding the #3...MAc did well to bail out of that.  Im not a big fan of trading high picks plus signing a guy to a monster deal...Mack was the only one I would have thought about.

The longer Rosen is not dealt the more I think Cards take Bosa #1 or trade out....of course I think if Rosen is traded it will be tomorrow to minimize the brush back and keep the guessing going.  If they pass on him its going to shake things up.

I know Im dreaming on the Giants 2 #1s....but trying to look at trade downs and that is the most appealing to me.....no way do I give Miami a QB....if Denver or Washington want to give up in a swap a 2d, 3rd this y and 1st next yr I would consider ....Washington would need to throw in another 2d next yr to fall to 16....theyve done it before for RGIII and should be desperate....Im talking a clear fleecing or just sit pat and grab the BPA at #3....I know its ridiculous but trusting MAc to hit on those picks just scares me....he's good with getting BPA in top 6 and they should keep it that way....you dont give up a difference maker/all pro for longer shot guys later.  

As for Bell - not the end of the world and as said thats just who he is - but I have to admit I was hoping he'd come in with a chip on his shoulder to be a leader and rip apart the league....not saying that still wont happen but Im let down by the skip as Im sure the jets are as well.....not a great start.  

Just about 4 hours until we find out what Mac does.  Personally, I don't see a way they trade down (that makes sense), and am almost a bit worried they get to a spot where the value of the 1st rounder they get drops lower than what they get in return.  Williams, Bosa or Allen.  Just sit back and pick one.

As much as I'd love to pick up a big trade back package from the redskins, I don't love the idea of moving all the way back to 15.

If you can get an impact front 7 guy, you take him. Hate the idea of taking Williams to basically replace the Williams they took 3 years ago (willing to bet they don't pay him and let him walk once he hits free agency) but it is what it is

hours away...of course my kid has a spring concert tonight so ill be finding out a bit later on delay - last thoughts as they change constantly

Trade down - unless its Raiders or Giants I am shying away and even then it has to be worth it....really dont want to drop past 6...now rumblings of a possible deal with Buffalo...still in top 10 but if its a division rival there better be a premium....its not a QB but dont need to see the traded pick knock around Sam twice per year!  

Hoping for the dream scenario where somehow Bosa drops to 3....would be so pumped

Keep going back and forth on J Allen and Q.....I'd rather go with Allen....they havent had a pass rusher since John Abe and you just cant get those guys easily....I know Q is a monster but I just can't shake hearing the same stuff with Leo and he has been meh.....go for the home run in Allen....if all goes well they wont be picking this high for a long time....

Jets in good spot...only way I am unhappy is if they pick Oliver at #3....if they really love him then it should be a trade down....if he gets sniped then there are other options.

Happy draft day everyone.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, you guys have been quiet this week.
The draft sort of snuck up on life. Is there really much to say, anyway? We'll find out soon enough. Looks like they're going EDGE.

I didn't even know Clark got flipped for that. I'm glad we didn't trade for him. Not that every dude on the NYJ is a model citizen, but this is a guy that beat up a woman and allegedly told the hotel clerk to "go get that ##### off the floor." We've had enough attitude problems at DL without withstanding another. Come to think of it, is DL the new diva position? Seems like the league is full of them.

Obviously people are trying to make a big deal out of Bell missing voluntary workouts.

Not really sure why. We know what kind of person he is. The sooner everyone accepts that and just acknowledges that the only thing that matters is that he's producing on the field (and not getting in trouble off of it) the better off we'll all be. He's going to be really hard to root for, but it is what it is.
Am I still allowed to hate that he's on the team at that contract, however team-friendly the rags, columnists, bloggers, and pundits describe it?

I hope he's in shape. I don't care about anything but: a) performance and b) a willingness to win (that translate will translate into effort, which again, will be reflected in performance). I'm not sure either prong will be satisfied by him. 

@rockaction what are you hoping for with the draft for the jets?
I'll stick with first round, which will determine all else. My greatest hopes are these, one of which is so fanciful (the bolded) and seemingly problematic with Darnold entrenched at QB that it'll never happen:

1. Kyler Murray slips and we draft him
  2. Kyler Murray slips and Oakland is so infatuated with him we get their No. 4 and No. 27, or more likely, No. 4 and No. 35
  3. Kyler Murray slips and we get the Giants No. 6 and No. 17 or, more likely, their No. 6 and No. 37
  4. Nick Bosa slips to No. 3 and we draft him
  5. We draft Josh Allen after Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa get selected
  6. We draft Quinnen Williams after Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa get selected
I'm going with consensus on all those. I don't watch the college game enough to have movers up the board.

As far as the rest of the draft, we need major help at OL, but given his prior track record, our GM seems to want to find guys on the OL late in the draft. WR is a need, hopefully addressed in the second or third round, should we get picks from the G'ints or Oakland. We also could use a nickel CB and a cover CB, but who doesn't?

Right now we're set at certain positions, but have many holes to fill due to ineffectiveness and the flame-out of previous second-round picks, not to mention the absence of second-round picks to get Darnold.

I'll stick with first round, which will determine all else. My greatest hopes are these, one of which is so fanciful (the bolded) and seemingly problematic with Darnold entrenched at QB that it'll never happen:

1. Kyler Murray slips and we draft him
  2. Kyler Murray slips and Oakland is so infatuated with him we get their No. 4 and No. 27, or more likely, No. 4 and No. 35
  3. Kyler Murray slips and we get the Giants No. 6 and No. 17 or, more likely, their No. 6 and No. 37
  4. Nick Bosa slips to No. 3 and we draft him
  5. We draft Josh Allen after Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa get selected
  6. We draft Quinnen Williams after Kyler Murray and Nick Bosa get selected
I'm going with consensus on all those. I don't watch the college game enough to have movers up the board.

As far as the rest of the draft, we need major help at OL, but given his prior track record, our GM seems to want to find guys on the OL late in the draft. WR is a need, hopefully addressed in the second or third round, should we get picks from the G'ints or Oakland. We also could use a nickel CB and a cover CB, but who doesn't?

Right now we're set at certain positions, but have many holes to fill due to ineffectiveness and the flame-out of previous second-round picks, not to mention the absence of second-round picks to get Darnold.
Wait you want to replace Darnold??!

Wait you want to replace Darnold??!
I'm fine with drafting and having the best QB available no matter what. I learned from the greats like Belichick. Was Bledsoe a quality NFL guy? Yup. But Belichick saw something and went with the best. Darnold would gather a ton of interest around the league if he were to be suddenly expendable on a rookie deal, and we might grab picks for him.

I'm fine with drafting and having the best QB available no matter what. I learned from the greats like Belichick. Was Bledsoe a quality NFL guy? Yup. But Belichick saw something and went with the best. Darnold would gather a ton of interest around the league if he were to be suddenly expendable on a rookie deal, and we might grab picks for him.
Wow that’s bold. Darnold looks like the 2nd coming imo. Youngest QB in the NFL and led the NFL in QBR for the last 7 weeks of the NFL season with a sad sack of weapons. 

BB didn't exactly spend a top 3 pick on Brady.

BB didn't exactly spend a top 3 pick on Brady.
No, he didn't. Brady, as we all know, was a sixth-rounder. But Belichick was willing to make Bledsoe expendable once he found his guy. The Jets would still have an asset in Darnold if they drafted Murray. But that will never happen, so it's a bit of fanciful thinking on my end. I'd say start at number two in the scenario I presented and work down for a more realistic hope for the Jets.

Wow that’s bold. Darnold looks like the 2nd coming imo. Youngest QB in the NFL and led the NFL in QBR for the last 7 weeks of the NFL season with a sad sack of weapons
Those are really strong arguments, and why Murray to the Jets will almost 99.5% never happen. 

Are you in the off-season concussion protocol?

actually, spoke to a buddy of my mine who is stoked that quinnen will be paired with those recent 1st round defensive picks.  he imagined for me a defense of kyle wilson, wilkerson, copley,  milliner, richardson, pryor and darron lee.  with leonard williams and all those edge sacks he gets, jets D should be formidable.  what’s that you say?

I was really hoping to move down and get a lot more picks, but picking QW BPA wasn't the worst strategy I guess... hope they can snag some O help with the bulk of the remaining picks...

I do like his story and didn't realize he lost his Mom and stepping up big time to support the family.. gonna root hard for him

I was really hoping to move down and get a lot more picks, but picking QW BPA wasn't the worst strategy I guess... hope they can snag some O help with the bulk of the remaining picks...

I do like his story and didn't realize he lost his Mom and stepping up big time to support the family.. gonna root hard for him
It doesn't sound like there was any market to trade down. The Bills GM said they made exploratory talks with teams at the top and somehow this was leaked to drum up interest. Same with Washington. They never traded up for Haskins even though there were several teams that could have taken him. Instead, they waited until #15.  I doubt there was anything going on with Oakland either.

I've wanted an edge rusher forever, but whatever. I like the pick. A lot of analysts think he is the best player in the draft.  The real worrying begins tonight with Mac's spotty (alright horrific) track record. He said that he might look to trade into the second round. Does that mean giving up both thirds? Don't know. Maybe they can trade Lee for something.

It doesn't sound like there was any market to trade down. The Bills GM said they made exploratory talks with teams at the top and somehow this was leaked to drum up interest. Same with Washington. They never traded up for Haskins even though there were several teams that could have taken him. Instead, they waited until #15.  I doubt there was anything going on with Oakland either.

I've wanted an edge rusher forever, but whatever. I like the pick. A lot of analysts think he is the best player in the draft.  The real worrying begins tonight with Mac's spotty (alright horrific) track record. He said that he might look to trade into the second round. Does that mean giving up both thirds? Don't know. Maybe they can trade Lee for something.
This is exactly where I'm at. The bolded is the most likely scenario that transpired. The third pick was not as powerful as in the past. Just too many teams that waited on a weak QB class. The way the draft fell, it was Allen or Williams, and it depends what you want to do. Interior pressure gets to Brady and EDGE guys are less effective because he gets rid of the ball so quickly.

What's disheartening (in general and to me)? That the Patriots have so many mid-round picks this year. They're destined to get OL help with the departure of their LT.

If you Draft QW, you have to let LW walk and get the comp pick.. that seems to be the way to get consistent picks, unless you have an All-Pro.  We will see if they can trade a player and get back into the 2nd, but expectations are low...

If you Draft QW, you have to let LW walk and get the comp pick.. that seems to be the way to get consistent picks, unless you have an All-Pro.  We will see if they can trade a player and get back into the 2nd, but expectations are low...
We have like $55m in cap space next year without any cuts. They will spend again, so I wouldn't expect any comp picks.

Users who are viewing this thread