What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

Do you know what he will be demanding?
No. I was looking to get a gauge from you, actually. I see that he's making 14.25 million dollars this year. I'm wondering what sort of raise or extension they might be thinking and what he might be thinking. IOW, if you'd read anything leaked to the press from the GM's office or his camp. 

No. I was looking to get a gauge from you, actually. I see that he's making 14.25 million dollars this year. I'm wondering what sort of raise or extension they might be thinking and what he might be thinking. IOW, if you'd read anything leaked to the press from the GM's office or his camp. 
Hard to say. Who would have predicted that Mosely would get so much? Prices went through the roof this year. Next year might be worse. If Leo doesn't have a great year, then whatever he gets will feel like too much.

Hard to say. Who would have predicted that Mosely would get so much? Prices went through the roof this year. Next year might be worse. If Leo doesn't have a great year, then whatever he gets will feel like too much.
Yep. That's why I asked. It seems like defensive players really set the market prices to trend upwards. I know the ironclad law of supply and demand and the theories of the Austrian Economists, but with a price ceiling, sometimes there is an absolute value of performance as translates to salary and I don't think Williams has been good enough to warrant a substantial raise and extension. Perhaps it's doubling and lack of teammates, but he should be a touch more dominant, methinks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well not exactly a shocker - looking at how the board went down everyone seemed to get their guy without even needing to trade up so doubt anything good was offered....glad he stayed out...i am having Leo flashbacks but this kid seems to have more upside especially in getting to the QB....once again the Jets have a very good defense on paper and should be solid...CB/OLB are keeping it from being elite but hopefully GW can scheme it....

As for Leo - its put up time . making $14M with lots of help on d - he needs to show elite skills and take the next step....if he does he'll be a $!8M player and likely - another meh season and let him go......for the Q pick to really be worth it Leo needs to step up and form an elite duo.  

Rest of draft - some pretty good CB/OL talent still on the board - i'd definitely trade Lee and a 3rd to move into the 2d....

Tony Pauline says that we're looking to move into the top 10 picks of the second round for an edge rusher.

Like both picks from yesterday - Politie was regarded as a 1st rd talent before bombing combine/interviews - could be a steal

Also like the Edoga pick - you know Sam's fingerprints were all over that which is fine by me - they needed a young OL with upside.....

not to mention both went to solid programs and are 21 yrs old....much better

Like both picks from yesterday - Politie was regarded as a 1st rd talent before bombing combine/interviews - could be a steal

Also like the Edoga pick - you know Sam's fingerprints were all over that which is fine by me - they needed a young OL with upside.....

not to mention both went to solid programs and are 21 yrs old....much better
Yeah I’m not going to claim to be an expert on these guys but from what I read they surely have some upside  and are nice swing big picks. If they devleop into good players I will give Mac some credit for taking the chances.

How did everyone like the draft?  I had to abandon the Jet boards, the Macc hate has reached unreadable proportions.. seemed like an ok draft to me...

I'm not gonna bash the draft. Wish they had gotten a center, but whatever. 

Williams is a horse but I just hate that we STILL don't have a stud edge. I also don't love the idea of having to draft another potential impact interior guy because the guy we drafted 3 years ago (who is making like 15 mil this year) is just kinda meh.

Hopefully polite just had a bad month and is the guy he showed on tape rather than the guy he was during the predraft process.

Liked the edoga pick. He's young, graded out well in pass blocking and I'm sure Sam endorsed him.

Not gonna pretend to know anything about the other guys. If you told me 1 will stick on the roster 3 years from now I'd probably sign for it

How did everyone like the draft?  I had to abandon the Jet boards, the Macc hate has reached unreadable proportions.. seemed like an ok draft to me...
To be honest most of us really have no idea past the first three rounds but from what I’ve read it seems like this could have been a good draft for him. If Polite develops into a legit pass rusher I’ll consider this draft a win as I love the Williams pick (and we still get an edge rusher).

You're not kidding. I couldn't stand those message boards this weekend. Total Macc hatred. Just crapping on him no matter what he did. Basically a can't win situation.

First pick: All offseason I've wanted Allen because we've been looking for an edge rusher forever. I got ok with the idea of taking W just before the draft. Many analysts considered him to be the top player in the draft or top 2 at worst. It seems like a redundant position, but we had problems stopping the run last year. This will help. It should also free up Leo. I'm ok with the pick. I can't complain about not trading down because it looks like there was no market. Everyone said there would be several trades, but the first one didn't happen until #10. Washington didn't even trade up for Haskins at any point. I think all of our trade talk was bs to induce someone to trade up. The market wasn't there.

Not trading up into the second round: Good, it would have cost us a first round pick.

Third round: Polite. Horrific Combine aside, he was very productive in college. Maybe not the most mature, but he doesn't sound like a bad kid. I support this pick.

Third round pick 2: The Jets wanted to take McGovern (G/C), but Dallas picked him 2 picks ahead of us. Doh. Macc then traded up one spot to get Chuma. Baltimore wanted to trade up to that spot and the Jets didn't want to take a chance that their other o-line guy was gone. Worth a 7th rounder I guess (who cares).  Maybe they should have moved up a few spots for McGovern, but I guess they thought he would still be there.

4th round: They traded down twice after being in a prime spot. That was disappointing as it only net to a mid-5th round pick. I wonder if they would have taken Butler if he had still been there. Macc did say that a couple of guys got picked a few spots ahead of ours. I think Butler was one of them. Anyway, I didn't know anything about Wesco when they drafted him. My immediate reaction was a blocking TE in the 4th? Sounds like a 5th or 6th round pick. Anyway, the more I read about him, the more i liked this pick. A big TE that is a really good blocker will do wonders for the run game and protecting Darnold. He also runs good routes and finally got a chance to run routes this past season. He can do a lot of things to help us.

5th round: Cashman. He had a really good season and should definitely make the team as ILB depth and perhaps excellent ST contributor.  Coming off 2 shoulder surgeries though.

6th round: WTF pick imo. A oft-injured CB where there was still some talented WRs left. I don't get this pick at all. Sounds like a UDFA to me. Macc loves his injured late round CBs. He's already draft a couple in the past. Austin won't be ready to play when the season starts. Doh

Overall: I didn't hate it. The key will be Polite. Hopefully he can contribute on passing downs. If so, then this will be a good draft. Chuma has talent, but comes with some issues. If his head is on straight, then it might work out. If not, bust city. I think Wesco will be a fan favorite. Maybe not a fantasy contributor, but an important piece to the offense.  Oh, and once again Macc only takes one offensive lineman. This time in the third round. A record for him, but it's so frustrating. The fact that we haven't improved at Center is also frustrating.

The draft is well over....good recap by Rage....few random thoughts of my own

1st Rd - I'm imagining all the possibilities with Leo and Q....for this to work Leo must hit his potential - if he does that D becomes very good vs run and solid inside pass rush...if GW can scheme and someone (Polite?) steps up with some outside pressure it should be solid....I know they went this route before but they have a better DC and I think Q/Leo/Anderson have way more desire and will produce more than Sheldon/Moe

2d rd - Really wanted to get in the 2d rd....but if the cost was a 1st net yr MAc wisely passed

3rd - two solid picks IMO - good upside...some bust potential but much better than a old player from a DII school - both check boxes and should contribute early and be possible starters in 2020.  Polite sounded like he acted like a jackass but nothing that can't be straightened out with GW and Mosely in your face barking at him!  If Sam likes Edoga than we should as well!  

4th - Really like the TE pick - I've grown tired of Tomlison and Leggett....Herndon is the pass catcher - they now have their mauler who will protect Sam and he seems athletic enough to make plays as well.  Reminds me of - gulp - Kyle Brady - whose only sin was being picked instead of Sapp.....a big blocking TE like that opens up a lot of possibilities but most importantly hopefully protect the franchise.

5th - This is really where you look for ST players who may be able to contribute - Cashman looks the part....huge motor - overachiever - whats not to like....hopefully can bolster the ST unit and maybe contribute down the road. 

6th - heard good things about the kid from Rutgers but 2 ACL injuries - I know 6th rders are crap shoots but Im not high on this one....

Overall - a good draft - it would be foolish to think Mac could fill all the holes in one draft....he did the best he could IMO - he took the "sure thing" in Q....avoided a trade down for obviously less than market offers....landed some upside talent at positions of needs.  

Criticisms - Would have liked a center more than the OLB/T - hopefully he has a plan out there for a band aid....he can not...repeat...can not...go into the season as is on that front...he has money and there are some decent band aids out there....sign someone to hold the fort.  Same at CB....need one more decent body....if Mo Claibourne is healthy he'd be fine on another 1 yr deal. My other big criticism on Mac is his trade downs - never seems to get good value on those for some reason.  

Season - as said - hoping he adds some band aids before the season - went into the draft with gaping holes at OLB, C and CB and those were never really filled except Polite hopefully can help at OLB....

2020 draft - Still have all their picks for next year - hopefully they can sign/fix the OLB inhouse or FA along with CB....I'd like to see the next draft build on OL and WR playmakers but thats a long way off.  

Looking forward to draft minicamp and see how the kids look on the field!  

Good recaps and insight by Dr. Octopus, NYRAGE, and Kiddnets. I have little to add.

A few interesting tidbits today.

Oakland tried to trade down from #4 , but got no offers. Everyone complaining about the Jets not trading down are ignoring the fact that there was no market to do so.You need a partner to trade down.  It was just a crappy year to trade down with no QBs worth trading up for.

Twice Macc tried to trade into the second round, but didn't have enough ammo. He wanted to go up into the first few picks of the second round to get a CB. Then later he tried to trade into the late second to get WR Hardman.

The curious thing about Macc trying to make those trades is that he didn't attempt to add another CB or WR in the next few rounds. Hmm. He waited until the 6th for the injured CB. He avoided WR the rest of the way and picked up a couple of guys as UDFAs.  Seems odd. I guess he had a value board that he stuck to. That's Macc for you.

Just popped in to say I love the new thread title.

At least they're not the Giants.
The Giants could fire their GM today and be just fine.  Not sure I can say that about the Jets.  As long as Woody is the owner disfunction in the organization seems probable.

Joe Douglas might be in Gase's sights.  Which sucks because I want him to stay with the Eagles.
I know nothing about him, but a friend is mentioning him for the same reason.  And I counter with: what respectable GM candidate who is in a successful position with a stable franchise and can wait it out and pick their opportunity in the near future, decide to come to this a**backward dumpster fire, knowing full well he'll probably be looking for a new job in 2-3 years himself?

These stupid moves have resonating impacts across the league.  It's this type of BS as to why we can also never find a half decent offensive coordinator either.  

How do you figure? You think Eli has a few years of mediocrity left? Or you think Daniel Jones is the truth?
Neither.  Just referring to the overall ability of the organization to manage itself professionally in order to put the best product on the field.

Specific players hit or miss, but well run teams figure it out while poor groups just find a way to mess it up.  In general, the Giants and Jets have been on the opposite end of that equation.

Wow. This is stunning timing. I'm not sure about the move, and it shows dysfunction in our owners' box. But Maccagnan was a Casserly guy and I can't get Belichick's quote out of my head.

"Nobody has been more wrong more times than Charlie Casserly." And thus it was. 

Jets fired GM Mike Maccagnan.

VP of Player Personnel Brian Heimerdinger was also canned on Wednesday. "I came to the decision to make a change after much thought and a careful assessment of what would be in the best long-term interests of the New York Jets," CEO Christopher Johnson said in a statement. There had long been word of a rift between Maccagnan and new coach Adam Gase, which Gase tried to downplay last week, but this pretty much clears it up that something wasn't working between the two. Maccagnan spent four years on the job, with the Jets going 10-6 his first season only to string together a 14-34 record 2016-2018. Maccagnan's drafts left a lot to be desired, especially his 2016 one that netted Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, and Jordan Jenkins in the first three rounds. Sam Darnold fell into the Jets' laps last year. Not finding any sort of edge rushing presence year in and year out was a major blunder. Gase is the interim GM while the Jets search for a replacement.
So let a guy run free agency and the draft and then fire him - why can't this team ever get out of it's own way?

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports coach Adam Gase "absolutely did not want to sign" Le'Veon Bell this offseason.

This should go over well inside Jets headquarters. Anyway, this is believed to be one of the big -- if not the biggest -- disagreements between Gase and now-fired GM Mike Maccagnan. Maccagnan was the one making the calls on the Bell signing and the outrageous contract handed out to off-ball ILB C.J. Mosley. Mehta adds that Gase "didn't want to spend a lot of money on any running back." As NFL Network's Ian Rapoport puts it, Gase likes Bell as a player but isn't a fan of the money part of it.
oh boy

Neither.  Just referring to the overall ability of the organization to manage itself professionally in order to put the best product on the field.

Specific players hit or miss, but well run teams figure it out while poor groups just find a way to mess it up.  In general, the Giants and Jets have been on the opposite end of that equation.
In the past decade, the Jets have 70 wins and the Giants have 74 wins.  :shrug:

If we were to bet on the coming decade, I'd take the Jets. At least they look like they have a QB.

Well the only Brightside is that Mac was pretty bad at his job so him getting canned is no big deal - but the dysfunctional way this team operates just makes it tough.

Yikes. I moved away last month, so haven't been hearing Jets news. Any hints of this or reasoning on timing? Jets haven't lost any more games since the end of the season. And didn't Gase say when he was hired that he really didn't want personnel matters?
And when they do hire a GM, they'll be back to having one who didn't hire his coach......

Allegedly Gase likes Bell, but doesn't believe in spending that much money on a RB. Makes sense to me, but ok, let's have Manish run with his bs and watch sites like Rotoworld pick it up as gospel.

Manish is garbage.  He said the rumors were absolutely false.  We all know this guy makes up stuff with his anonymous sources. They all speculate. Truth is, during free agency or the draft, you don't hear a peep out of Manish or any of the other beat writers. They magically confirm stuff a minute after Shefter or Rappaport announces a signing or trade.

Allegedly Gase likes Bell, but doesn't believe in spending that much money on a RB. Makes sense to me, but ok, let's have Manish run with his bs and watch sites like Rotoworld pick it up as gospel.

Manish is garbage.  He said the rumors were absolutely false.  We all know this guy makes up stuff with his anonymous sources. They all speculate. Truth is, during free agency or the draft, you don't hear a peep out of Manish or any of the other beat writers. They magically confirm stuff a minute after Shefter or Rappaport announces a signing or trade.
Yeah I hesitate to even post anything he puts out.

Yikes. I moved away last month, so haven't been hearing Jets news. Any hints of this or reasoning on timing? Jets haven't lost any more games since the end of the season. And didn't Gase say when he was hired that he really didn't want personnel matters?
And when they do hire a GM, they'll be back to having one who didn't hire his coach......

I believe Tony Pauline first mentioned the rumors on Thursday/Friday morning the week of the draft. Michael Lombardi then came out and said that there were issues in the front office  and the Jets would likely make changes after the draft. Pauline on that Friday then doubled down and said five people called him to confirm his story. 

Gase didn't appear in the draft room when the cameras were on the Jets. The Jets also didn't do pressers after each day of the draft like they have done in the past.

As it gathered steam, the Jets then issued denials.

Hoo baby. At least Gase was using his marbles regarding the signing. I still don't get the Bell signing. You could have drafted Henderson in the third round instead of a tight end. Then you might have a dynamic back of the future.
I mean as far as resource allocation, I agree, the Bell signing is a tough one to stomach, but that said, if Henderson is ever as good as Bell is right now, that would be a pretty big surprise. 

I mean as far as resource allocation, I agree, the Bell signing is a tough one to stomach, but that said, if Henderson is ever as good as Bell is right now, that would be a pretty big surprise. 
Yeah, I'm talking resource allocation to a large degree. I also think Bell is overvalued because of the quality of his line in Pittsburgh.

^ Agree on Bell being overvalued. And, between injury and suspension has he ever played all 16 games?
ETA- To answer my own question, he payed 16 games once (2014) in five seasons.

Just read Johnson's statement. Sounds like a kid wrote it.
https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1128685010523963392?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1128685010523963392&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheeagleswire.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F05%2F15%2Feagles-joe-douglas-jets-gm-job%2F
Belichick's Napkin

^ Agree on Bell being overvalued. And, between injury and suspension has he ever played all 16 games?
ETA- To answer my own question, he payed 16 games once (2014) in five seasons.

Just read Johnson's statement. Sounds like a kid wrote it.
https://twitter.com/nyjets/status/1128685010523963392?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1128685010523963392&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheeagleswire.usatoday.com%2F2019%2F05%2F15%2Feagles-joe-douglas-jets-gm-job%2F
Sounds like every pr statement I read.

Not like Lee was a stud but he's a useful player (as a situational backup) for cheap.

As much as I hate him, I agree with cimini. This doesn't make any sense and feels like a gase victory lap

Users who are viewing this thread