Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dr. Octopus

2019 New York Jets: All Your Williams Are Belong to Us

Recommended Posts

Not like Lee was a stud but he's a useful player (as a situational backup) for cheap.

As much as I hate him, I agree with cimini. This doesn't make any sense and feels like a gase victory lap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NYRAGE said:

Maccan't and Lee gone in the same day. Pinch me, I must be dreaming. 

So like, 50% chance Lee is a pro bowl LB now that he is out of NY? I'm kidding, but I thought he played pretty well last year, after being a complete bum his first 2 seasons. He's arguably one of the 5 best cover LB's in the NFL, he's just not good at anything else. That's still worth a lot more than a 6th rounder in my opinion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, travdogg said:

So like, 50% chance Lee is a pro bowl LB now that he is out of NY? I'm kidding, but I thought he played pretty well last year, after being a complete bum his first 2 seasons. He's arguably one of the 5 best cover LB's in the NFL, he's just not good at anything else. That's still worth a lot more than a 6th rounder in my opinion. 

You may think he's worth more (and you wouldn't be alone), but they shopped him for a 5th rounder during the draft and couldn't get it.  The market is what it is.

My opinion is that he's not instinctive at all. Always guessing on plays instead of reading them.When he guesses right, he makes those flash plays at the line of scrimmage. When he guess doesn't guess correctly, which is pretty often, he's not even near the ball.  God forbid if a blocker comes towards his tiny body. 

Not to mention that he was suspended for 4 games for his third drug test failure. The next one is 10 games I think. He's immature and let's not forget the incident when Leo Williams had to separate him from attacking that woman.  That plus he only has one season left on his deal. Good riddance.  Another terrible Maccan't pick.  Perhaps he would have been better in a 4-3 system. Maybe it works out great for KC.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets must have been so envious of all the press the Giants have been getting since draft time that they had to go out and create a s-storm of drama to get some attention.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NYRAGE said:

You may think he's worth more (and you wouldn't be alone), but they shopped him for a 5th rounder during the draft and couldn't get it.  The market is what it is.

My opinion is that he's not instinctive at all. Always guessing on plays instead of reading them.When he guesses right, he makes those flash plays at the line of scrimmage. When he guess doesn't guess correctly, which is pretty often, he's not even near the ball.  God forbid if a blocker comes towards his tiny body. 

Not to mention that he was suspended for 4 games for his third drug test failure. The next one is 10 games I think. He's immature and let's not forget the incident when Leo Williams had to separate him from attacking that woman.  That plus he only has one season left on his deal. Good riddance.  Another terrible Maccan't pick.  Perhaps he would have been better in a 4-3 system. Maybe it works out great for KC.

 

I had totally spaced the off field stuff, I guess it doesn't stick as much when it isn't a skill position guy.

I agree Lee was a pretty bad draft pick, I personally had him as a 3rd rounder that year, and was shocked he went in round 1. I thought he turned a corner last year though, and while still not worth a 1st, no longer looked like a complete bust. He certainly would have been better in a 4-3, and I almost wonder if he would be able to do a reverse Thomas Davis, and lose 15+ pounds and play box safety.. 

Its no big loss though. He was the teams #3 ILB after they signed Mosley, and Cashman is a very good prospect, despite where he fell. I just don't see the point in trading him for a 6, when he wasn't expensive, and had shown massive improvement the year before. Maybe it was because of the off field stuff, and if it was, I guess he'll fit right in on KC. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travdogg said:

I had totally spaced the off field stuff, I guess it doesn't stick as much when it isn't a skill position guy.

I agree Lee was a pretty bad draft pick, I personally had him as a 3rd rounder that year, and was shocked he went in round 1. I thought he turned a corner last year though, and while still not worth a 1st, no longer looked like a complete bust. He certainly would have been better in a 4-3, and I almost wonder if he would be able to do a reverse Thomas Davis, and lose 15+ pounds and play box safety.. 

Its no big loss though. He was the teams #3 ILB after they signed Mosley, and Cashman is a very good prospect, despite where he fell. I just don't see the point in trading him for a 6, when he wasn't expensive, and had shown massive improvement the year before. Maybe it was because of the off field stuff, and if it was, I guess he'll fit right in on KC. 

They didn't gain much cap room trading him. Like you said, on the field it doesn't really make much sense trading him, but I think they just wanted him off the team due to his attitude and off the field issues. They didn't want to re-sign him and a compensatory pick didn't factor in because A) He wasn't going to get a big contract  and B) we're going to spend in the off-season anyway.  He was merely depth at this point and had no future with the team.

As far getting rid of Mac, I think it was a home-run for the team. He was a disaster. We're only getting better from yesterday's firing. People can laugh all they want, but it was a good day. Yes, the Jets owners are a joke. We know this and it's always a handicap. However, we have a potential franchise QB, studs on defense like Adams, Mosley, and potentially Q Williams. There are other nice pieces on the defense like Leo, Maye, Henry Anderson, and maybe even Polite. On offense, we have a stud RB, a potential stud TE, and nice pieces like Enunwa, Anderson, and Crowder.  Plus the Jets still have lots of cap room going forward.

I really don't care about the Giants one way or the other, but it's funny that Giants fans are throwing shade (as the kids say) at the Jets. Giants fans can be happy that they have a media distraction from their tire-fire dismantlement (losing OBJ, Collins, reaching for Jones, etc.). The Jets can use improvement at the o-line and CB positions. Gase is a huge question mark and ownership is horrible, but I would definitely pick the Jets over the Giants as a team going forward.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 6:53 PM, TLEF316 said:

Not like Lee was a stud but he's a useful player (as a situational backup) for cheap.

As much as I hate him, I agree with cimini. This doesn't make any sense and feels like a gase victory lap

I hated the Lee pick when it was first made, but I agree with the bolded. It was a terrible pick, and I remember Bowles celebrating over it, but he's developed into a useful guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 1:46 PM, NYRAGE said:

I believe Tony Pauline first mentioned the rumors on Thursday/Friday morning the week of the draft. Michael Lombardi then came out and said that there were issues in the front office  and the Jets would likely make changes after the draft. Pauline on that Friday then doubled down and said five people called him to confirm his story. 

Gase didn't appear in the draft room when the cameras were on the Jets. The Jets also didn't do pressers after each day of the draft like they have done in the past.

As it gathered steam, the Jets then issued denials.

I don't understand the timing of this move, firing the GM AFTER he dished out large sums of salary cap and AFTER he spent the 3rd pick in the draft.  

The GM position would have been a dream job for any candidate with a good 2nd year QB, a solid defense, a massive amount of cap to play with, and a top-three pick.

The timing does not make any sense to me.  

I'm hearing two sides.

  1. Mac could not get on the same page with the coaches.  Bowles had pointed this out to ownership who did not pay attention but got the same complaint from Gase and pulled the trigger.  Meaning it was all Mac's fault.
  2. Gase had the same MO in Miami where he got rid of everyone standing in his way and took control but wasn't successful and lost the locker room.  Making it Gase's fault.

It is possible that Mac wasn't in-tune with his coaches and that Gase is a bit of a control freak?

What are Jets fans hearing that makes sense on the timing of the firing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

I don't understand the timing of this move, firing the GM AFTER he dished out large sums of salary cap and AFTER he spent the 3rd pick in the draft.  

The GM position would have been a dream job for any candidate with a good 2nd year QB, a solid defense, a massive amount of cap to play with, and a top-three pick.

The timing does not make any sense to me.  

I'm hearing two sides.

  1. Mac could not get on the same page with the coaches.  Bowles had pointed this out to ownership who did not pay attention but got the same complaint from Gase and pulled the trigger.  Meaning it was all Mac's fault.
  2. Gase had the same MO in Miami where he got rid of everyone standing in his way and took control but wasn't successful and lost the locker room.  Making it Gase's fault.

It is possible that Mac wasn't in-tune with his coaches and that Gase is a bit of a control freak?

What are Jets fans hearing that makes sense on the timing of the firing?

Well I think that it would have made sense to clean house in January (a lot of us were calling for it the prior couple of years), but it's also not that odd for a GM to be fired after the draft. Wasn't Dorsey fired after the draft?  Buffalo's Whaley got fired after the draft. Those are just 2 names that I can think of off the top of my head.  I think the media is making a bigger deal of it than it should be.

The real question is why did it take until 2019? It's been fairly obvious that both Bowles and Maccant were in over their heads. A bigger question is why don't the horrible owners change the reporting structure and continue to fire/hire coaches and gms in different years. They always try to force feed a working relationship.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NYRAGE said:

Well I think that it would have made sense to clean house in January (a lot of us were calling for it the prior couple of years), but it's also not that odd for a GM to be fired after the draft. Wasn't Dorsey fired after the draft?  Buffalo's Whaley got fired after the draft. Those are just 2 names that I can think of off the top of my head.  I think the media is making a bigger deal of it than it should be.

The real question is why did it take until 2019? It's been fairly obvious that both Bowles and Maccant were in over their heads. A bigger question is why don't the horrible owners change the reporting structure and continue to fire/hire coaches and gms in different years. They always try to force feed a working relationship.

Its not odd to fire a GM and the scouting staff after a draft but not after the GM spends $125 million AND the 3rd pick of the draft AND hires a new HC who was 'reportedly' the 3rd choice as the hire who immediately takes over as interim GM and trades away a player he doesn't want and gets little in return.  

-----------------------------------

Rich Cimini‏Verified account @RichCimini

Clearly, there was strife in the organization, which the #Jets denied. Now the truth is out. It’s a stunner because they empowered Maccagnan to spend $125M and make the No. 3 pick in the draft.

8:36 AM - 15 May 2019

-------------------------------------

Outside of the single most important position of QB Darnold and safety Jamal Adams he had poor drafts on-top of poor drafts but it has been reported that Gase had clashed with Mac soon after he was hired and he came out on top of a power struggle.

Their is more here than what has been reported IMHO, the timing really does not add up.

I thought some Jet fans would have more than taking 'well deserved' shots at Maccaganan or Bowles (as a HC as a DC he is excellent).  

Troy Pauline was reporting friction before the draft.

New TOJ Podcast: Joe Caporoso and Eliot Crist discuss the New York Jets firing Mike Maccagnan

The rumors of Daniel Jeremiah sound pretty good if he is interested.  I honestly feel he'd do a much better job than Mac but I bet more will leak out on what really took place behind the scenes because the timing of this particular firing doesn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, barackdhouse said:

The subtitle on this thread at the top makes my head hurt. What does "all your williams are belong to us" mean? Can somebody please edit that into English? Is it a joke and I just don't get it?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

and the Jets drafted Quentin Williams when they had already had Leonard Williams - both to be coached by Greg Williams.

basically just a dumb joke.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

and the Jets drafted Quentin Williams when they had already had Leonard Williams - both to be coached by Greg Williams.

basically just a dumb joke.

It’s the wording.  It doesn’t make sense.  

Is it supposed to be “All your Williams now belong to us”? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Mr. Peterson said:

It’s the wording.  It doesn’t make sense.  

Is it supposed to be “All your Williams now belong to us”? 

No, click on the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Peterson said:

It’s the wording.  It doesn’t make sense.  

Is it supposed to be “All your Williams now belong to us”? 

It's a meme.  Read the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Anita Marks' sources are saying the Manning rumor doesn't have legs, but who knows. She's also heard talk that Gase had Gregg Williams forced on him.

That makes sense. How many head coaches want a coordinator who has proven power hungry and likely willing to stab people in the back to take over as head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

and the Jets drafted Quentin Williams when they had already had Leonard Williams - both to be coached by Greg Williams.

basically just a dumb joke.

I understood the Williams part. Just didn't get the language part. Makes sense now. Obscure though. I mean nobody was even alive yet in the early 2000s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member