What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (2 Viewers)

The Jets were in the running for McKinnon, but lost out to SF. Shocking that he went for $7.5m per year.  I get the inflation narrative with every FA period, but man that's a lot. I'm surprised that the Jets were in on him considering much cheaper options in the draft.

The Jets were in the running for McKinnon, but lost out to SF. Shocking that he went for $7.5m per year.  I get the inflation narrative with every FA period, but man that's a lot. I'm surprised that the Jets were in on him considering much cheaper options in the draft.
He was on my wish list but I thought he'd be cheap. I would not be ok with that contract. I'd rather target Ronal Jones or Sony Michel with one of the second round picks. They need some speed at the position. Crowell, McGuire and Powell (at his age) are more grinder types.

Btw, the Jets beat reporters haven't broken anything yet. All they do is tweet "source confirms that the Jets have signed xxxx" a couple of minutes after Schefter tweets out a signing.   Yeah, their source is Shefter. Lol.  Keep that in mind the next time their speculation is repeated as news.

The day after the roller coaster

Lots of praise coming in for the Jets - well deserved - it looked bad after the overpay for MCCown but the Teddy/Johnson/Williams signing were very good follow ups in key positions.  

I dont know much about Spencer Long but as said he is young and well regarded....anything and I mean anything is better than the center from last yr....I still think Billy Price is in play in the draft if they still have their 2d rders.  Assume Long's deal isnt too bad as he missed last year.  

Still have some cash left for the other CB spot and TE....good to see them pull out of McKinnon as it got way to pricey especially with Powell still there.  Hoping for reunion with ASJ/Mo but could live with other options

I am always looking ahead so checking out overthecap for 2019 - very interesting - Jets are $143M under the cap next yr - not to mention Beachum/Winters can be cut for an additional $14M so figure $157M!  Total signings so far total around $45M - likely to end up around $85M when all said and done after the draft....but remember both QB deals are 1 yr so chop $15M off that number - so roll $70M of signing into the $157M and that means Jets should have another $70M or so to spend next yr....based on these numbers I think the Jets can make a deal to get their QB even if it means spending more than desirable draft picks....they could pick up some key players in FA next yr even without a 1st rder....to me the 1 yr deals at QB and cap room shows Mac is going to make an offer the Colts cant refuse...they could trade down to #6, still get Chubb/Nelson and a boatload of other picks....Buffalo has more ammo but the drop to 12 is outside the blue chip line which benefits the Jets greatly.  At #3 hopefully they grab one of Darnold/Rosen but at this point I can live with any of the top 4 - though Allen I think is a big step behind...but beggars cant be choosy now!  

Lions released TE Eric Ebron.

The move had to be made today before 4 PM ET if the Lions were going to save his $8 million-plus salary from becoming guaranteed. They tried to trade the enigmatic tight end but were unsuccessful. Ebron will certainly have a market and hasn't yet turned 25. Lions fans have long held a grudge against Ebron after he failed to live up to his No. 10 overall pick draft status in 2014, especially since the Lions passed on LT Taylor Lewan, WR Odell Beckham, and DT Aaron Donald, who were selected consecutively at Nos. 11-13. The Lions now need a tight end.
Another TE on the market.

I would take a chance on Ebron, but he will probably cost more than even ASJ.

Dem Davis to the Saints. 3 years for $22.5m I think.

McGuire 3rd string or does he get cut?
I don't see any reason why he'd get cut, since he's on a fifth round rookie contract and showed to be decent.

I did hear rumors that the Jets are looking to trade Powell, which could push McGuire into the backup role (temporarily at least since I expect they will draft a RB).

I would take a chance on Ebron, but he will probably cost more than even ASJ.

Dem Davis to the Saints. 3 years for $22.5m I think.
$24MM on Davis - since he was replaced by a younger Williams I wish him the best. He had a very good season last year and he only cost us bust Pryor.

Ebron was cut because he was due $8MM from the Lions - so maybe he could be had for about the $7MM ASJ wanted. I actually think I'd prefer Ebron who I see with more upside.

Enunwa got a second round tender ($2.9m)

Terrance Brooks (S) got re-signed for 2 years, Lawrence Thomas, Doug Middleton, and Eric Tomlinson

Tendered: Rontez Iles right of first refusal, no comp

Tendered: TE Neal Sterling, OL Brent Qvale

If these Crabtree gets cut rumors are true (I believe they hinge on whether Jordy signs in Oak), I'd like to kick the tires on him.  No idea what the cost/market would be for him, but I would love going into a year with him, RA and Enunwa.  Would be a solid group.  I am not interested in Jordy at this time.

If these Crabtree gets cut rumors are true (I believe they hinge on whether Jordy signs in Oak), I'd like to kick the tires on him.  No idea what the cost/market would be for him, but I would love going into a year with him, RA and Enunwa.  Would be a solid group.  I am not interested in Jordy at this time.
I like him, but he's 30 and not what McCags has been targeting.  Damn, I remember all the fuss when he was in college. We're getting old.

Eiffert signed in Cincy again.  Doug Martin to the Raiders.  It's quiet today for the Jets. Maybe things pick up after McCags is done viewing Josh Rosen today.

hope their backup plan is something better - really no excuse to lose him for that little difference when they are sitting on so much $....I didnt love ASJ but he was clearly the best TE they had in a long time....the position has been ignored too long....I have a feeling they like Leggett and envision Enuwa playing a quasi TE role but thats a mistake....should have ponied up on this one based on the circumstances.  

hope their backup plan is something better - really no excuse to lose him for that little difference when they are sitting on so much $....I didnt love ASJ but he was clearly the best TE they had in a long time....the position has been ignored too long....I have a feeling they like Leggett and envision Enuwa playing a quasi TE role but thats a mistake....should have ponied up on this one based on the circumstances.  
Ebron is still an option. 

Excellent!  Great defensive backfield this year!  Now dump Skrine and sign the Badger!  

Rappaport: The #Jets are re-signing CB Mo Claiborne on a 1-year deal, sources say. He’ll make $7M. A one-year deal last year pays off for both sides as NYJ solidifies its D

Excellent!  Great defensive backfield this year!  Now dump Skrine and sign the Badger!  

Rappaport: The #Jets are re-signing CB Mo Claiborne on a 1-year deal, sources say. He’ll make $7M. A one-year deal last year pays off for both sides as NYJ solidifies its D
This defense has a chance to be really good. 

BTW - Jamal has clearly become the face/leader of the franchise - he's awesome 

Jamal Adams‏Verified account @TheAdams_era

FollowFollow @TheAdams_era

More

Jamal Adams Retweeted Ian Rapoport

I texted Mo yesterday & told him I’d tear up if he didn’t sign. Look at God !!!!!!! #NewJackCity

I was disappointed when Cousins signed with the Vikings and Mac appeared to be sleeping at the wheel, but I've really liked what he has done. For the most part, he has either made several one-year signings or has built in a chance to escape a contract after a season. We should have plenty of cap left for next year.

I would love for us to dump Skrine and add the Badger. That secondary would be unbelievable.

We still need a DE and a pass rusher.  The ASJ non-signing stumps me a bit. Add a QB in the draft and we're golden for this offseason.

I was disappointed when Cousins signed with the Vikings and Mac appeared to be sleeping at the wheel, but I've really liked what he has done. For the most part, he has either made several one-year signings or has built in a chance to escape a contract after a season. We should have plenty of cap left for next year.

I would love for us to dump Skrine and add the Badger. That secondary would be unbelievable.

We still need a DE and a pass rusher.  The ASJ non-signing stumps me a bit. Add a QB in the draft and we're golden for this offseason.
I think they may be out of luck there. There's no one really available in free agency and if they take a QB at 6, like they should, they would need to get very lucky to find an impact pass rusher with a later pick. They will need to get creative with blitzes (Honey Badger would come in handy in that regard) and Williams will need to step up in order to put pressure on QBs.

The good news is that with a secondary of Johnson, Clariborne, Adams and Mayes (and hopefully Mathieu) we could see a lot of coverage sacks at least.

If Daron Lee takes another positive step forward and Leonard Williams is back in 2016 form rather than 2017, this defense should be top 10 with top 5 potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will probably have to wait to fill that pass rusher hole.....but if they can do the Badger for Skrine swap that secondary will be able to cover the lack of pass rush....as I said before they have a lot of $ in FA next yr....sign badger along with some depth then go all out for the top QB....I dont care if it takes both 2ds and next yrs 1st if its the right one....this team will be much improved in 2018 fighting for a WC but if they pick the right QB, develop properly and find a pass rusher next off season you are looking at a serious contender for the division with Brady at 42 that year

I'd feel a lot better about the offense if they signed at least one more lineman. There's only so many rounds of the draft where you can add a guy that is a capable starter from Day One.

They will probably have to wait to fill that pass rusher hole.....but if they can do the Badger for Skrine swap that secondary will be able to cover the lack of pass rush....as I said before they have a lot of $ in FA next yr....sign badger along with some depth then go all out for the top QB....I dont care if it takes both 2ds and next yrs 1st if its the right one....this team will be much improved in 2018 fighting for a WC but if they pick the right QB, develop properly and find a pass rusher next off season you are looking at a serious contender for the division with Brady at 42 that year
Holy hell, they have been looking for an edge rusher almost as long as QB

Agreed, trade up and get that QB

I'd feel a lot better about the offense if they signed at least one more lineman. There's only so many rounds of the draft where you can add a guy that is a capable starter from Day One.
Agreed, but I don't think McCags values linemen much for some reason. He only drafts them late.

Kiddnets said:
Anyone know what the cap hit would be if they cut Skrine.  I "think" he would actually have some trade value, as he was not bad the second half of the last season.

Anyone know what the cap hit would be if they cut Skrine.  I "think" he would actually have some trade value, as he was not bad the second half of the last season.
I doubt he would have trade value at that price - but the savings of $6M would mean Badger would only cost around $6-7M in new $....they wont be able to land a pass rusher so why not make the DBs as strong as possible.

Like the Ijalana signing for depth as long as its cheap which im sure it is....

The Honey Badger took a one year deal with Houston for $7m. WTF. He must have had no interest in coming to NY. Bowles is completely useless if he couldn't recruit his son in law.  Freaking Skrine is making $8.5. 

The Honey Badger took a one year deal with Houston for $7m. WTF. He must have had no interest in coming to NY. Bowles is completely useless if he couldn't recruit his son in law.  Freaking Skrine is making $8.5. 
That one is disappointing for sure as it seemed like a layup. 

A few more o-linemen also found homes with the Jets only resigning their own backup level OG. 

I’m trying to be patient as the second wave of signings is coming soon and the Jets are in good positions capwise to add a bunch of “bargains”, but I do hope they aren’t just going to sit on this cap space especially when a lot of the signings they already made are one year deals and won’t carry over to next year anyway.

That one is disappointing for sure as it seemed like a layup. 

A few more o-linemen also found homes with the Jets only resigning their own backup level OG. 

I’m trying to be patient as the second wave of signings is coming soon and the Jets are in good positions capwise to add a bunch of “bargains”, but I do hope they aren’t just going to sit on this cap space especially when a lot of the signings they already made are one year deals and won’t carry over to next year anyway.
dumping Skrine and upgrading to Badger for $1M increase seemed like a no brainer....must be more to the relationship with Bowles than thought - maybe he just didnt want to come to NY like Cousins....

Still trying to figure out exactly how much cap is left but should be enough for 1 more solid player - they went ultra conservative all of a sudden and are shopping in bargain bin.....they have a ton of cap next year so id like to see them a bit more aggressive.  Ebron would be nice - can't rely on in house options and the draft

An overpayment based on the traditional trade chart.  I would have thought a second and and next year's second would have been enough. Anyway, it won't matter in the end if we end up with a franchise QB.  Thanks for starting McCown and getting those extra couple of wins you dopes!

Users who are viewing this thread