Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Dr. Octopus

2019 New York Jets: Gase is playing Candyland while everyone else is playing Checkers.

14 minutes ago, NYRAGE said:

Teddy to the Jets

Still only 25, wouldn't be shocked if he was a long-term answer, though I'm expecting Jets will take a QB in round 1. High-end backup at the very least.

Edited by travdogg

5 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Still only 25, wouldn't be shocked if he was a long-term answer, though I'm expecting Jets will take a QB in round 1. High-end backup at the very least.

I think he could still be a long-term answer as well. Highly regarded prospect who made a big jump in year 2, but then suffered a devastating injury. If he's fully healthy there's no reason why he can't continue to develop. I don't think they have to take a QB at 1.06 now, but I suspect they likely will. If both QBs work out - all the better. It does give them options in the draft at least if a guy like Barkely or Chubb somehow fall to 6.

Next step is building this o-line up or Teddy and the rookie will have no chance anyway.

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I think he could still be a long-term answer as well. Highly regarded prospect who made a big jump in year 2, but then suffered a devastating injury. If he's fully healthy there's no reason why he can't continue to develop. I don't think they have to take a QB at 1.06 now, but I suspect they likely will. If both QBs work out - all the better. It does give them options in the draft at least if a guy like Barkely or Chubb somehow fall to 6.

Next step is building this o-line up or Teddy and the rookie will have no chance anyway.

Think 6 is too high for Nelson?

I'd like to add some weapons for Teddy and/or the rookie but the free agent list is thinning out. Best available:

Terelle Pryor - not a fan but maybe worth a shot

Mike Wallace/Eric Decker - would need to come cheap, I think both are nearly washed up

Jordan Matthews - He's a solid slot guy and still young. I'd target him.

after that its guys like Taylor Gabriel, Dontrelle Inman. Kamar Aiken, Kendall Wright, Jaron Brown - in other words, other's trash

4 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Think 6 is too high for Nelson?

Not in my mind. He's a beast. Honestly I would strongly consider him - and then take a QB later (but I'm higher on Teddy then most).

So if ASJ signs elsewhere the Jets have very limited options at TE. Ancient guys like Ben Watson and Gates, a headcase like Martellus Bennett or a bunch of bums.

Tyler Eifert is still out there. Love the talent but the guy just can't stay healthy.

It's not like they have a legit in-house candidate either.

#### this team so much. Seriously. I live 10 minutes from the Johnson estate and I'm giving serious though to driving over there, hopping the fence and ####ting on the porch

• Like 6

Just got back from a meeting and saw the McCown signing - seriously had to stop in the bathroom and dry heave....I freaking knew this would happen....$10M for McCown..unreal.  

Little did I know that when my dog got sick in the house this morning, that this would be the highlight of my day or an omen of things to come.

Jesus Christ. McCagnan has to be stopped before the draft.  This might be worse than the Idzik era.

• Like 3

I could slightly understand the move if you guys were in a draft position to be guaranteed a shot at your future QB. Then the mentor angle makes sense. I mean, the price would still be crazy but you can understand the logic behind it.

Without that though (unless they have a deal agreed to), I don't know how you don't at least try to grab the upside of someone like Teddy.

Ts and Ps Jets fans. 

Edited by RUSF18

They promised McCown that he’d be the starter. 

I’m not sure I can stick this one out. This team is run by morons.

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

They promised McCown that he’d be the starter. 

I’m not sure I can stick this one out. This team is run by morons.

A procession of morons. One after another.

I can't believe that I felt so optimistic with the cap and draft coming up, but now I just feel disgusted.

• Like 1

@AdamSchefter 20s21 seconds ago

More

Isaiah Crowell intends to sign a 3-year deal with the NY Jets, per source.

2 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

@AdamSchefter 20s21 seconds ago

More

Isaiah Crowell intends to sign a 3-year deal with the NY Jets, per source.

barf.  Ok player, but why??? They already have #2 RB caliber players.

• Like 2

This comment under the McCown PFT article would more sense, but I can't find any corroborating article:
"You should correct this article to say they told him he would be the starter GOING INTO TRAINING CAMP. Which every reporter and outlet has put out there the last 30 minutes. "

Okay, Cimini  and Costello are reporting that sources confirm he will enter training camp as the starter.  

Edited by Mystery Achiever

Dustin Fox‏Verified account @DustinFox37 5m5 minutes ago

I liked Crow a lot. Was never utilized in Cleveland properly. Nice signing for the Jets.

---------------------------------

Universal sentiment of all Browns fans.

Good RB.  Probably initiates more contact than he should and doesn't have wiggle but tough and can bust long runs.  Not utilized nearly enough so his legs should be fresh.

Crowell seems like a good complement back to Powell and McGuire. I was hoping they would draft a RB with more speed though.

Just now, NYRAGE said:

Crowell seems like a good complement back to Powell and McGuire. I was hoping they would draft a RB with more speed though.

he craps on both, talent wise.

trust me, you're gonna like what you see, if they give him the rock.

Just now, Soulfly3 said:

he craps on both, talent wise.

trust me, you're gonna like what you see, if they give him the rock.

I've seen him plenty of times. He's the guy I always wanted off the field since I had Duke Johnson. Yeah, he looked good.  Powell is underrated though. He's another guy mis-used. 

Disaster central - I knew this was going to happen....I just knew it...they are in love with McCown and can't let him go...this guy should not be $10M player and should absolutely not be named the starter...make the guy a damn QB coach at $500K per yr....you gotta be kidding me at $10M

.I know that there is still interest in Teddy which would be the only thing to save a little face in this disaster but I am extremely unimpressed at what Mac has done. 

Crowell is a fine RB - young and has talent - and completely unnecessary - Powell and McGuire would have been fine

So to recap - they have the same QB coming back from a 5 win team except a yr older with no guarantee of a top rookie QB.....and they add a decent player to a position with the least amount of need....meanwhile players flying off the board....every time I think this team can not break me worse they do this....please land Teddy and keep me off the ledge.  

Edited by Kiddnets

6 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

What the hell is this team doing?

Competing for next year’s top pick apparently.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

you will have Barkley....no worries

Yeah, letting Crowell goes pretty much seals that deal at #1...................

At this point I hope they don’t spend another dime so that next year’s new GM and HC will have $120MM in cap space and the No. 1 pick in the draft. McCown is not following up his 2017 so the Jets won’t win games with him.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

At this point I hope they don’t spend another dime so that next year’s new GM and HC will have $120MM in cap space and the No. 1 pick in the draft. McCown is not following up his 2017 so the Jets won’t win games with him.

How do they possibly go back to their fans with this?  $90M and they give McCown a big raise and bring in an unnecessary RB.....WTF....

Any numbers on Crowell contract?  

T. Johnson to the Jets. That's one CB down. Need one more.

$15m per year per NFL Network. Wut??? Man, that's pricey.

Edited by NYRAGE
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, NYRAGE said:

It’s is but I guess they have no choice but to overpay a bit now. I’m much better with overpaying him then Josh McCown at least.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It’s is but I guess they have no choice but to overpay a bit now. I’m much better with overpaying him then Josh McCown at least.

why else would anyone come to this organization?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NYRAGE said:

I like this signing - a little less than Butler and I like Johnson better.....pricey to be sure but on par with top CB salary....at least they got one right...still cant believe the McCown signing.  

Until QB is solved, nothing else matters.

Keeping mccown and staying put at 6 and MAYBE getting the draft leftovers probably solves nothing

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

I like this signing - a little less than Butler and I like Johnson better.....pricey to be sure but on par with top CB salary....at least they got one right...still cant believe the McCown signing.  

The numbers I saw for Butler were $61m over 5 years, so a little more than $12/ yr.  Johnson is $15m per year (allegedly).

Edited by NYRAGE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Competing for next year’s top pick apparently.

not with McCown starting.....if you are gonna tank do it right and play Petty/Hack......or whomever you draft at 1.06 I think One of Darnold/Allen/Baker/Rosen should be there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRAGE said:

The numbers I saw for Butler were $61m over 5 years, so a little more than $12/ yr.  Johnson is $15 per year (allegedly).

yes just saw this - Sirius NFL was saying it was cheaper than Butler....still not a bad deal

Still waiting for Crowell numbers - hoping its cheap

Praying for Teddy....please dont let it be McCown only....pretty please

1 minute ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

not with McCown starting.....if you are gonna tank do it right and play Petty/Hack......or whomever you draft at 1.06 I think One of Darnold/Allen/Baker/Rosen should be there.

Yeah, been there, not done that. This stupid regime is just trying to eek out some wins and survive by some narrative of exceeding incredibly low expectations (due to their own incompetence). 

So bring in Crowell, a liked guy from a fantasy asset standpoint, but from an actual onfield performance standpoint, seems a redundant skillset to Powell (albeit better.)  Likely prevents from Magoo drafting one of the RBs from a very deep class and getting us an actual playmaker out of the backfield since we haven't had since probably Leon Washington.

This all wreaks of the Jets staying put at 6 and letting Chubb fall to them.  (We PROBABLY don't take Minkah at 6 now with Johnson signing, right?....right??)  At that point, I'd be fine with a trade down, start accumulating picks for the next soon to be failed regime.  Getting the feeling this season is going to be the tank year we were anticipating last season, except done "properly" (in spite of Bowles attempts.)  With a random FA signing or 2, and maybe more than 1 rookie being useful, we should be right in line for another 5-6 win season.  Tanked for a high pick QB, not exactly - but enough to get the poopie diaper staff the F out of here.

Teddy!!!   only one yr which stinks but better than nothing....

Former Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater plans to sign a one-year contract with the New York Jets when the new league year officially begins Wednesday, per @mortreport and @diannaESPN.

Edited by Kiddnets

Still doesn't mean mccown makes sense. Why pay teddy if you're not going to start him? He's either healthy or he's not. 

• Like 1

I don't think the McCown signing is that bad.  He is a good backup and will be a good mentor to Bridgewater or a rookie QB.  What I don't like at all is already appointing him the starter.  I don't understand that at all.  Also, Johnson may have been an overpay, but at least he improves the team.  I don't like Crowell and don't like that signing, although it's better than the Giants signing an aging Stewart.  I like the Jets offseason more than the Giants so far, especially if they do get Bridgewater.

Just now, TLEF316 said:

Still doesn't mean mccown makes sense. Why pay teddy if you're not going to start him? He's either healthy or he's not. 

Im not a fan of the $10M for McCown but they obviously love him and see him as a mentor - a ridiculously overpaid one but one nonetheless....waste of $ IMO thats why you have QB coaches

no money announced for Teddy yet but both QBs on 1 yr deals....disaster insurance if they miss out on QB but 1 yr deal is tough - yes it opens up $ and opportunity for rookie but if they miss out on a rook and/or Teddy balls out they are not in a great position.....

Not thrilled with the situation but takes the sting out of the awful McCown signing....they still MUST draft a QB though IMO.  

2 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I don't think the McCown signing is that bad.  He is a good backup and will be a good mentor to Bridgewater or a rookie QB.  What I don't like at all is already appointing him the starter.  I don't understand that at all.  Also, Johnson may have been an overpay, but at least he improves the team.  I don't like Crowell and don't like that signing, although it's better than the Giants signing an aging Stewart.  I like the Jets offseason more than the Giants so far, especially if they do get Bridgewater.

they clarified a bit that he is the starter going into camp and not regular season....still stupid but not fatal.