What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (6 Viewers)

My bad, I got excited thinking that we were twins or something.  I'll need your resume of injuries. Just kidding sort of. I'm walking around for 3 weeks with a badly sprained or fractured wrist. My gf keeps trying to get me to the doctor, but I tell her that I'm used to pain. I just go for potentially life-altering events.
Dude, get the wrist checked out.  If it's broken, you need to get it pinned early, otherwise they'll have to re-break it.  Not worth it.  My $.02...

Dude, get the wrist checked out.  If it's broken, you need to get it pinned early, otherwise they'll have to re-break it.  Not worth it.  My $.02...
I read this as more of a commiseration about hockey and injuries, but yes, I second this opinion and don't know why I didn't say that the first time. 

Thanks. I'm old school neanderthal when it comes to injuries that won't kill me. Some stupid macho thing I guess. I might go next week.

moving the extra point back was one of the best things the NFL ever did. Took away the confidence building chip shots and every non-elite kicker turned into jello as a result.
Well said and totally agree that it was one of the rare solid rule changes NFL has made.  The change of OT rules was another good one. On the other hand,  the NFL ####ed up IMO when they decided this past off-season to allow reviews of pass interference calls. 

You just watch what a #### show that rule is going to end up being as it's going to take away from some of the give and take that DB's and WR's go thru all the time. They should have just left it alone seeing most of the time, there are no egregious horrible pass interference calls missed like what happened with the Rams and Saints in last years NFC championship game which precipitated the new rule.

So my Jet brothers in here who have watched the game tonight, who has impressed you? With me being down here near Philly, I'm not getting the whole Jets game...just bits and pieces on NFL Network on the TV while I have the Mets/Braves game streaming on my laptop(Mets coming thru in clutch  tonight in MUST game that they had to have by the way).

From the little that I have seen, Darnold looked good as did Ty Montgomery a guy by the way  that I will absolutaly be handcuffing to Le'Veon if I own him in either of my two $$ leagues and who I might just try and sneak on to my team in the very late round in case the Bell owner falls asleep. I have a gut feeling Montgomery could be sneaky good this year.

Robbie looked good on one catch I saw but that's about it. I didn't see any real good defensive plays seeing the ones I saw on NFL Network, the Falcons drove down the field and Jets couldn't stop them.

So what's the scoop peeps...who impressed you...who didn't? Hopefully Shepard played good cause that would really blow chunks if he got cut as he was the next pick after we took Darnold last year. I was hoping he would be viable. But from what I saw posted earlier, it looks like he could be cut? How did Quinnen look? I know..so many questions but so little time...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
So my Jet brothers in here who have watched the game tonight, who has impressed you? With me being down here near Philly, I'm not getting the whole Jets game...just bits and pieces on NFL Network on the TV while I have the Mets/Braves game streaming on my laptop(Mets coming thru in clutch  tonight in MUST game that they had to have by the way).

From the little that I have seen, Darnold looked good as did Ty Montgomery a guy by the way  that I will absolutaly be handcuffing to Le'Veon if I own him in either of my two $$ leagues and who I might just try and sneak on to my team in the very late round in case the Bell owner falls asleep. I have a gut feeling Montgomery could be sneaky good this year.

Robbie looked good on one catch I saw but that's about it. I didn't see any real good defensive plays seeing the ones I saw on NFL Network, the Falcons drove down the field and Jets couldn't stop them.

So what's the scoop peeps...who impressed you...who didn't? Hopefully Shepard played good cause that would really blow chunks if he got cut as he was the next pick after we took Darnold last year. I was hoping he would be viable. But from what I saw posted earlier, it looks like he could be cut? How did Quinnen look? I know..so many questions but so little time...lol
I watched most of the game, but was doing a Best Ball draft.

Darnold looked really sharp. The middle of that oline was spotty with our 3 back-ups.

Montgomery looked great. A few days ago I was "debating" with a fantasy expert from the Athletic about Montgomery.  Someone said he was desperate for RB depth on his dynasty team and asked this expert about B Powell. I said, well if you're going for a Jets RB out of desperation for your dynasty team I would go with Ty Montgomery who is younger and is a perfect fit for the Gase system. I got lambasted by this "expert" for suggesting such a low ceiling RB like Montgomery. Tonight this "expert" was raving about Montgomery. Lol, I've been winning high stakes leagues for 3 decades now. Some of these "experts" are so arrogant and live in their safe space of mock drafts against other "experts".  Anyway, rant over.

Enunwa has been getting open this summer, but has been regularly dropping passes. Anderson ran several inside routes tonight and looked good. I didn't notice much of Crowder or Herndon. Darnold played 3 series.

Simien didn't look good at all. He had a good week last week. Webb is drowning.

Bertolet made one fg, but missed 2 PATS. I think we have to bring someone else in next week.

This was Atlanta's third game. Their o-line looked awful. They drafted a few o-line guys, but I think they might be out. At least they were last week. I hope those are the backups because these guys looked really bad and Ryan was under pressure all night. They did have a few drops including 2 in the end zone.

I thought Baby Boy Q looked pretty good. I didn't pay attention to the defense second and third stringers because I was drafting. At least the scrub CBs didn't look that bad this week, but I think that was because we were getting pressure on the Atlanta QBs. Ryan played all but 2 minutes of the first half btw. I'll rewatch the game later I think.

I watched most of the game, but was doing a Best Ball draft.

Darnold looked really sharp. The middle of that oline was spotty with our 3 back-ups.

Montgomery looked great. A few days ago I was "debating" with a fantasy expert from the Athletic about Montgomery.  Someone said he was desperate for RB depth on his dynasty team and asked this expert about B Powell. I said, well if you're going for a Jets RB out of desperation for your dynasty team I would go with Ty Montgomery who is younger and is a perfect fit for the Gase system. I got lambasted by this "expert" for suggesting such a low ceiling RB like Montgomery. Tonight this "expert" was raving about Montgomery. Lol, I've been winning high stakes leagues for 3 decades now. Some of these "experts" are so arrogant and live in their safe space of mock drafts against other "experts".  Anyway, rant over.

Enunwa has been getting open this summer, but has been regularly dropping passes. Anderson ran several inside routes tonight and looked good. I didn't notice much of Crowder or Herndon. Darnold played 3 series.

Simien didn't look good at all. He had a good week last week. Webb is drowning.

Bertolet made one fg, but missed 2 PATS. I think we have to bring someone else in next week.

This was Atlanta's third game. Their o-line looked awful. They drafted a few o-line guys, but I think they might be out. At least they were last week. I hope those are the backups because these guys looked really bad and Ryan was under pressure all night. They did have a few drops including 2 in the end zone.

I thought Baby Boy Q looked pretty good. I didn't pay attention to the defense second and third stringers because I was drafting. At least the scrub CBs didn't look that bad this week, but I think that was because we were getting pressure on the Atlanta QBs. Ryan played all but 2 minutes of the first half btw. I'll rewatch the game later I think.
Thanks Rage...awesome recap. Funny what you say about competing against "experts". A few years ago I was in a fantasy hockey league where I was selected as the "Joe Blow" vs all these experts from very reputable hockey websites and publications and I ended up kicking their asses winning two straight titles versus them. I never got the respect or acknowledgements from any of them due to my supposedly not being an "expert". It was such horse #### and it usually is as in your case seeing we know pretty much as much if not more than these supposed "experts". 

The only thing that these experts have that's better than us are massively inflated egos and due to this, when the "average Joe" like you or I ends up beating them or being right about player evaluations, they simply cannot take it.  Anyways I digress. 

Back to the Jets. I saw the highlight package NFL Network put together after the game and it looked like the defense played alot better than what I had seen. We apparently got alot of pressure on Ryan and DC Williams schemes had the Falcons confused all night. Hopefully this bodes well going forward. As far as the offense, if the Oline can get healthy, we might have a sneaky  good O this year that could be more fantasy worthy than most of these "experts" might think. 

Thanks again for the recap Rage..you the man.

Yep. California, an hour north of San Diego, inland.  Figured I'd save the free week for the dress rehearsal. 
Cool beans and agreed next week as per the norm every preseason, week 3 is the most important of all the games and we'll get to see the 1st team offense and defense on the field for likely 2 and a half quarters or so. 

I'm really getting some very good vibes as far as Darnold and the offense. It's funny, we always see and read about QB's who in their 2nd years morph into really good QB's. Well it's never happened for us seeing we've never had a QB like a Darnold maybe ever unless you want to count Richard Todd who had his solid moments as did Ken O'Brien. But other than those two, none of our QB's in our history other than obviously Namath have ever been as talented as Darnold is. 

So it's going to be alot of fun this year to watch Sam's progression seeing as I said, I can actually see him being fantasy worthy 2nd half of the season when our schedule eases up and he can take advantage of the weaker defenses we'll be playing. To be able to start a Jet QB in fantasy would be the first time since Testeverde was studly back in '98 which is a long long time ago...:) 

Montgomery looked great. 
He’s looked so good that I kind of wish they used the money they spent on Bell at CB or OL. I was kind of back and forth on the fence about Bell anyway. I understand why they felt the need to sign him though. Hopefully we see a bit of him next game so we can all feel good about him as well.

He’s looked so good that I kind of wish they used the money they spent on Bell at CB or OL. I was kind of back and forth on the fence about Bell anyway. I understand why they felt the need to sign him though. Hopefully we see a bit of him next game so we can all feel good about him as well.
:clears throat loudly:

Wait until Bell rushes for 1,300 and I have to eat those words. 

I have to admit I get a kick out of seeing Hines Ward on the sidelines. The guy was a great WR that can teach these young guys a lot and was a tough S.O.B. which fits in with the rest of the staff.

I hear you, but he runs upright and doesn't really have a RB's body. I don't think he would last long with too many touches. He will do well with limited touches that keeps him fresh imo.

I have to admit I get a kick out of seeing Hines Ward on the sidelines. The guy was a great WR that can teach these young guys a lot and was a tough S.O.B. which fits in with the rest of the staff.
I think you can already see the benefit when you watch Anderson take those hits on catches over the middle.

The game is on replay in about an hour on the NFL Network.

I hear you, but he runs upright and doesn't really have a RB's body. I don't think he would last long with too many touches. He will do well with limited touches that keeps him fresh imo.
He's upright for sure. And always banged up for that reason.

Sure I agree - he was a WR so I've always thought he looks a bit weird running the ball. A RBBC with him and Powell wouldn't be so bad though.

With that said, Bell is here and seeing how the rest of the offense looks he's likely going to be a monster and we'll all be happy he's around.

Sure I agree - he was a WR so I've always thought he looks a bit weird running the ball. A RBBC with him and Powell wouldn't be so bad though.

With that said, Bell is here and seeing how the rest of the offense looks he's likely going to be a monster and we'll all be happy he's around.
Two RBs that do well, but always get hurt. We would definitely need Eli and the gang through out the season.

I think Bell will be great as long as he doesn't get hurt. I would have preferred that they didn't pay Mosley that ridiculous contract. Who pays a MLB $17m?  With Williamson, that's $25m on 2 middle linebackers. Absurd. Yet most of us on this forum would be second stringers at CB. Just criminal abuse by our previous GM who neglected our two biggest needs (CB/C) with all that salary cap space.

Oh I hate you. I love Southern California. I try to go every year. I wish it wasn't so expensive.
Heh. If/when I get settled in my personal life and take the bar exam out here, I'm actually looking to head back East. But that's a long way away because of family reasons. I miss the Northeast. And you're right, it is expensive out here. I'm lucky to get a deal with relatives, or I'd be up it.

Two RBs that do well, but always get hurt. We would definitely need Eli and the gang through out the season.

I think Bell will be great as long as he doesn't get hurt. I would have preferred that they didn't pay Mosley that ridiculous contract. Who pays a MLB $17m?  With Williamson, that's $25m on 2 middle linebackers. Absurd. Yet most of us on this forum would be second stringers at CB. Just criminal abuse by our previous GM who neglected our two biggest needs (CB/C) with all that salary cap space.
All Mac was able to do was throw money at big names and grab players that fell into his lap with three top 6 picks. Building a team was a foreign concept to him.

Thanks Rage...awesome recap. Funny what you say about competing against "experts". A few years ago I was in a fantasy hockey league where I was selected as the "Joe Blow" vs all these experts from very reputable hockey websites and publications and I ended up kicking their asses winning two straight titles versus them. I never got the respect or acknowledgements from any of them due to my supposedly not being an "expert". It was such horse #### and it usually is as in your case seeing we know pretty much as much if not more than these supposed "experts". 

The only thing that these experts have that's better than us are massively inflated egos and due to this, when the "average Joe" like you or I ends up beating them or being right about player evaluations, they simply cannot take it.  Anyways I digress. 

Back to the Jets. I saw the highlight package NFL Network put together after the game and it looked like the defense played alot better than what I had seen. We apparently got alot of pressure on Ryan and DC Williams schemes had the Falcons confused all night. Hopefully this bodes well going forward. As far as the offense, if the Oline can get healthy, we might have a sneaky  good O this year that could be more fantasy worthy than most of these "experts" might think. 

Thanks again for the recap Rage..you the man.
Interesting. I'm in a couple of fantasy hockey leagues if you're interested (free and pay). Let me know.

The "expert" thing is a pet peeve of mine obviously. What they have is a platform and the desire to make a name for themselves (with lots of hot takes where they are not held accountable afterwards for their misses), not to mention a career in it.  I don't begrudge them for it. It's not my thing.  It's their arrogance that bugs me. Trust me, I can be arrogant (or too confident) about FF, too. However, it's more about the condescension they often have towards people. In a way I can understand it since there are lots of jerks and trolls on social media. It's more about how they think you're stupid if you don't do things their way or that you're not good enough if you''re not a fellow expert. The reality of fantasy sports is that there are many ways to win (and lose). I also play in high stakes leagues where the majority of the guys in the league know as much if not more than most of the experts.  Anyway, back to the Jets.

I think the offense will put up big fantasy numbers this year for a couple of reasons: 1) They Jets don't have elite talent outside of Bell, but there are a lot of options: Anderson, Enunwa, Herndon, Crowder, Montgomery in addition to Bell. Darnold has the talent to exploit it. It's just a matter of experience. He's young still, but he's showing great promise and command of the offense so far 2) The defense is leaky and I think we get involved in a lot of shootouts.  We don't have elite pass rushers to cover for our lousy CBs. We're going to have to blitz a lot. We're going to give up some big plays, especially against the better teams in the first half of the season.

Another thread aside on experts: I'm with you guys. Often, the only thing that separates an expert from an amateur is that they can write well and do so forcefully. They often fake it until they make it, and they've rung hollow with me for a long time now. It's the old saw: If they could work for a team's front office, they would. They're not good enough to do so. They write and get opportunities to write. And I begrudge them nothing, either, I just don't think their predictions or evaluation is sacrosanct. 

Heh. If/when I get settled in my personal life and take the bar exam out here, I'm actually looking to head back East. But that's a long way away because of family reasons. I miss the Northeast. And you're right, it is expensive out here. I'm lucky to get a deal with relatives, or I'd be up it.
I'm the opposite. I grew up in NYC for the first 27 years. It wasn't as nice and clean back then as it is now.  I got robbed and /or attempted robbed several times at knife/gun point. I saw a girl get sliced up on a train by 30 kids with box cutters. Her blood landed on me. I saw another person get shot in the head near Port Authority. I had to use mace on people a few times. Now that I'm 52, I just want to lay out on the beach near the Pacific Ocean. SoCal is like paradise to me. For now I have to settle on crappy Houston because for some unknown reason my GF loves it here.

Another thread aside on experts: I'm with you guys. Often, the only thing that separates an expert from an amateur is that they can write well and do so forcefully. They often fake it until they make it, and they've rung hollow with me for a long time now. It's the old saw: If they could work for a team's front office, they would. They're not good enough to do so. They write and get opportunities to write. And I begrudge them nothing, either, I just don't think their predictions or evaluation is sacrosanct. 
The experts that I respect now are the ones that back it up with analytics instead of empty words of cheer-leading. I may not always agree with their take, but at least it's backed by some stats. How relevant those stats are is another question though.

I'm the opposite. I grew up in NYC for the first 27 years. It wasn't as nice and clean back then as it is now.  I got robbed and /or attempted robbed several times at knife/gun point. I saw a girl get sliced up on a train by 30 kids with box cutters. Her blood landed on me. I saw another person get shot in the head near Port Authority. I had to use mace on people a few times. Now that I'm 52, I just want to lay out on the beach near the Pacific Ocean. SoCal is like paradise to me. For now I have to settle on crappy Houston because for some unknown reason my GF loves it here.
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember NYC decently and to have known, as a visitor from CT, how dangerous it could be. I mean, 42nd had sex shops back then, and they weren't the high brow kind. I can remember my mother grabbing me away from parks, etc.

Don't blame you for wanting to go coastal when you live in Houston. You'd at least have a breeze on a Pacific beach.

The experts that I respect now are the ones that back it up with analytics instead of empty words of cheer-leading. I may not always agree with their take, but at least it's backed by some stats. How relevant those stats are is another question though.
I think, like everything in sports now, it's a combination of eye test/sport science/f(x) and analytics and statistics. I find that the people I respect most are true talent evaluators all around, meaning they're comfy with breaking down tape and a regression equation. 

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember NYC decently and to have known, as a visitor from CT, how dangerous it could be. I mean, 42nd had sex shops back then, and they weren't the high brow kind. I can remember my mother grabbing me away from parks, etc.

Don't blame you for wanting to go coastal when you live in Houston. You'd at least have a breeze on a Pacific beach.
I love LA because you have beaches, but yet also hills and nearby mountains. Houston is so flat. Ugh.

I've been to SD a couple of times recently. Nice enough place. If you're inland, you must be near Escondido or somewhere like that. Close enough drive to the beaches and water imo.

Williamson tore his acl is out for the year. Fantastic judgment shown by someone yesterday letting play with the third stringers.

Just brutal news. It's just like the Mets when it comes to the Jets. Whenever things are going too good or the vibes are blissful as they've been pretty much since Joe Douglass was hired, the gods who run this ####, always pull the plug on our good juju and troll both fanbases unmercifully till we submit. It's as if both fan bases are cursed.

Yeah I'm probably being over the top here...just ####### pissed.  I was very much looking forward to seeing Williamson and Mosely play together. Now it's going to have to wait till next year. We are already dealing with a severely shorthanded back end with no CB's who would start for most other teams now we have to deal with one of our top defensive players gone

So who's first man up? I'm guessing this Williamson injury insures that my boy Brian Cushman that 7th round pick from Minnesota might play a bigger role than originally expected. I gotta get out of here as I'm getting aggravated thinking about this....arggggggg...

Just brutal news. It's just like the Mets when it comes to the Jets. Whenever things are going too good or the vibes are blissful as they've been pretty much since Joe Douglass was hired, the gods who run this ####, always pull the plug on our good juju and troll both fanbases unmercifully till we submit. It's as if both fan bases are cursed.

Yeah I'm probably being over the top here...just ####### pissed.  I was very much looking forward to seeing Williamson and Mosely play together. Now it's going to have to wait till next year. We are already dealing with a severely shorthanded back end with no CB's who would start for most other teams now we have to deal with one of our top defensive players gone

So who's first man up? I'm guessing this Williamson injury insures that my boy Brian Cushman that 7th round pick from Minnesota might play a bigger role than originally expected. I gotta get out of here as I'm getting aggravated thinking about this....arggggggg...
You must be thinking of Cush from Jerry Macguire.  Blake Cashman is the guy. Our 5th rounder. He was already playing with the ones on passing downs because Williamson cannot cover 56 year old William the Fridge Perry.  We may be able to survive this. I imagine Cashman splits time with Hewitt.

You must be thinking of Cush from Jerry Macguire.  Blake Cashman is the guy. Our 5th rounder. He was already playing with the ones on passing downs because Williamson cannot cover 56 year old William the Fridge Perry.  We may be able to survive this. I imagine Cashman splits time with Hewitt.
Yes, on the bright side it was one of the few spots we could afford to lose some one. It still sucks, especially because Williamson is good on the blitz but it's not a season killer.

LOL...yah....Blake Cashman. I'm all discombobulated with this injury news and can't even get my names correct. We do have some decent depth at linebacker and so maybe your right and we'll be OK and I'm just not thinking straight. We'll find out soon enough.

Yes, on the bright side it was one of the few spots we could afford to lose some one. It still sucks, especially because Williamson is good on the blitz but it's not a season killer.
Yeah, it's never good to lose a starter, but we have some intriguing young LBs. 

I'm surprised no one has said, "that's why you don't give away D Lee".

John Daigle‏ @notJDaigle

#Jets beats have been adamant about Ty Montgomery’s involvement in camp, and it showed sans Le’Veon Bell as the former played 16-of-16 first team snaps vs #Falcons, including lining up out wide in 10 personnel. Fantasy’s RB77 remains a late-round steal.

Users who are viewing this thread