What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (12 Viewers)

John Daigle‏ @notJDaigle

#Jets beats have been adamant about Ty Montgomery’s involvement in camp, and it showed sans Le’Veon Bell as the former played 16-of-16 first team snaps vs #Falcons, including lining up out wide in 10 personnel. Fantasy’s RB77 remains a late-round steal.
Oh, no doubt. Shhhhh...

eta* He's on every iteration of my subscription team

Last edited by a moderator:
Get used to this boyz....our secondary is going to get pulverized this year by good QB's. And Drew Brees qualifies...lol

And now the fumble by Ty....arggggg....great start

Now that was a sweet ### TD drive there orchestrated by Sam there.

It had a little bit of everything...some nice short throws, a nice bomb to Robbie and a very nice touch pass to Montgomery  for the TD

OK...I've seen enough...take Sam out of the game.

A buddy of mine and I were talking the other day and he suggested we should maybe make a run at Clowney of the Texans and figured I'd bring it here to y'all. Me personally and I told my buddy,  I'd pass on Clowney....way too injury prone for my blood and I've always questioned his motor.

Now if a Patrick Peterson CB from Arizona becomes available? Sign me up as I'd be all in. Bottom line is  we need to fill holes at this point and the biggest hole we got is in the secondary because as I see it as presently constituted, we are going to be getting torched on the back end by any QB who is good.

Looking at first 8 games, we have to deal with Allen, Baker, Brady twice, Wentz, Prescott, Foles and either Fitzpatrick or Rosen. I'd argue that 6 of these games we are going to need to score close to if not more than 30 points in order to win because the QB's we are facing are going to torch our secondary and that's even if and when TJohnson comes back.

I've said this infinitum, I have a ton of faith that Joe Douglass is going to fix this thing but it's not going to happen this year...he simply came on board to late in the process and he doesn't have enough time. So he's going to get as many band aids as he can on the O-Line, outsides LB and in the secondary.

Bottom line Clowney doesn't help us where we need the help. We go with what we got, we hope we win a bunch of 31-28 type games, we hope Sam progresses, we hope LevBell is the real deal and we hope for the best. Next year is when I believe we'll be truly ready to rock n roll.

This year will be fun tho and exciting but we simply have too many holes to be a legit playoff contender tho we may flirt with it and a Clowney  won't help us get to the next level at least in my opinion he won't as we still have too many holes in more important places. Anyways look forward to this upcoming season boyz...GO JETS!

A buddy of mine and I were talking the other day and he suggested we should maybe make a run at Clowney of the Texans and figured I'd bring it here to y'all. Me personally and I told my buddy,  I'd pass on Clowney....way too injury prone for my blood and I've always questioned his motor.

Now if a Patrick Peterson CB from Arizona becomes available? Sign me up as I'd be all in. Bottom line is  we need to fill holes at this point and the biggest hole we got is in the secondary because as I see it as presently constituted, we are going to be getting torched on the back end by any QB who is good.

Looking at first 8 games, we have to deal with Allen, Baker, Brady twice, Wentz, Prescott, Foles and either Fitzpatrick or Rosen. I'd argue that 6 of these games we are going to need to score close to if not more than 30 points in order to win because the QB's we are facing are going to torch our secondary and that's even if and when TJohnson comes back.

I've said this infinitum, I have a ton of faith that Joe Douglass is going to fix this thing but it's not going to happen this year...he simply came on board to late in the process and he doesn't have enough time. So he's going to get as many band aids as he can on the O-Line, outsides LB and in the secondary.

Bottom line Clowney doesn't help us where we need the help. We go with what we got, we hope we win a bunch of 31-28 type games, we hope Sam progresses, we hope LevBell is the real deal and we hope for the best. Next year is when I believe we'll be truly ready to rock n roll.

This year will be fun tho and exciting but we simply have too many holes to be a legit playoff contender tho we may flirt with it and a Clowney  won't help us get to the next level at least in my opinion he won't as we still have too many holes in more important places. Anyways look forward to this upcoming season boyz...GO JETS!
I wouldn't cry if we got Clowney, but I don't think he's any kind of savior. As you wrote, I"m more concerned about the secondary. That guy from Indy should be better than all the dreck we have at CB after the top 3. We still need more. We'll be claiming 2-3 guys next week. Almost anyone will be better than our second and third stringers.

It's been a quiet off-season. Lots of good vibes on offense which is the most important development.  What has been obvious all summer is our lack of depth throughout the team. JD has already made a couple of nice additions to the O-line. Thank God.  If you look at who is on the bubble and likely to be cut, it's McCant's draft picks from the last 2 years.  Pretty sad that we're already considering dropping Shepherd and Eli M. Outside of Darnold and Herndon (suspended), who the hell did he add to the team? At least Cannon may have salvaged a roster spot. Hell, even Polite is in trouble.  I doubt they cut him, but it's possible according to the beat writers. Our freaking third round pick from this year! It's too bad that we couldn't eject that loser earlier, but maybe it worked out in the end by getting JD.  All that money that he had these past 2 off-seasons and we still have no depth and a few holes. Malfeasance.

Bertolet just missed a 53 yarder after a good week last week. Hot seat again. I wonder if Atlanta cuts Talvechio. He's had a rough summer, but he looked really good last year. I'm not sure if Minnesota is keeping Bailey either.

I don’t think any team should give up anything for Clowney because he’s likely going to sit out the season. The deadline for him signing a long term contract has passed and if he won’t play under the Franchise Tag for Houston why would he play anywhere under it?

I don’t think any team should give up anything for Clowney because he’s likely going to sit out the season. The deadline for him signing a long term contract has passed and if he won’t play under the Franchise Tag for Houston why would he play anywhere under it?
It sounds personal for him. He's not too pleased with the lack of respect he feels they have shown him.

Polite looked awful on that one play. Kaufusi is everywhere early on. Great summer for him. Cashman caused that turnover I think .

It sounds personal for him. He's not too pleased with the lack of respect he feels they have shown him.

Polite looked awful on that one play. Kaufusi is everywhere early on. Great summer for him. Cashman caused that turnover I think .
I think he’s content to stay healthy and look for a huge payday in the offseason like Bell did. If you remember there was a ton of talk of him sitting out his junior year so that he could preserve his high draft pick status and not get hurt. He ultimately played but half-assed most of the season.

I think he’s content to stay healthy and look for a huge payday in the offseason like Bell did. If you remember there was a ton of talk of him sitting out his junior year so that he could preserve his high draft pick status and not get hurt. He ultimately played but half-assed most of the season.
You could be right. The talk down here (Houston) is that he still half-asses it out there.  He's a perfect fit for Miami.

I really wish we could have had Douglass in place pre-draft and free agency, but at least Mac’s gone. Talk about just throwing away draft picks year in and year out.

I really wish we could have had Douglass in place pre-draft and free agency, but at least Mac’s gone. Talk about just throwing away draft picks year in and year out.
Yeah, he was a genius when things fell into his lap in the first because somebody like Snyder or Gettleman was drafting before us. Other than that...

Dr. Octopus said:
Polite, we hardly knew you.
I have to admit, surprised Jets wouldn't give Polite a bit more time to see if he could turn things around. I know he wasn't impressing much in camp but to cut him outright after 4 weeks...I dunno, he must have been absolutely terrible as it's rare you see 3rd round picks cut just like that. Me personally, I would have liked him to have gotten some more time. Greg Williams must have hated him bigtime. Wow...can't believe he's done...such a Jet like move...argggg.😏

I don't have the time to do this but if anyone does, I'd love to know how many of Mac's draft picks other than #1's he selected are still on the Jets as of today. Top of my head, if I had to put a percentage on it, I'd have to think that of Mac's draft picks he made after the first round, there are no more than 15% left.

If I'm correct and like I said, I'm not sure I am but I do think I'm close, that my friends just might be as abysmal of a performance of a GM maybe in NFL history. The ironic part of this is that Mac was hired due to his scouting and player evaluation skills honed in Houston. To think Charlie Casserly a guy I do respect recommended to Woody Johnson that Mac was the best guy for the GM job still has me shaking my head. 

rockaction said:
That extra 1.5 million dollars or so for an All-Pro sure would sound nice right now, huh? 

As far as Meyers who not just you but other Jet brothers of ours think we should have kept, I'm on the other side of the debate as I say horse manure. The guy wanted 3-4 million a year after one good year. IMO, it was one of Mac's few good moves he made not paying him that much. I do think we need to find a kicker no question but to have paid Meyers that much would have been a mistake. 

Bottom line and I've said this infinitum,  is I have the utmost confidence in Douglass to fix all that ails the Jets. He just doesn't have enough time this year to do what likely wants too do. That said as I've said a bunch of times as well, if we are prepared to win alot of 31-28 type game seeing our secondary is going to get absolutely torched by any QB who is any good, we might have a shot at the playoffs. 

Next year is when I truly think we make our move but this year is going to be exciting and if we can somehow win 3 of the first 7 games of the season, we have a shot at a playoff spot.

It all starts with the first two home games my friends, seeing if we don't win the Bills and Brown games at home, the season can easily get away from us fast no matter how the schedule eases up the 2nd half of the season. Hopefully the boys will respond and not blow it early. We have to win those first two games. Did I mention we need to win these first two games?....lol

The idea that a 3rd round pass rusher from an SEC school isn't even good enough to keep for special teams is just insanity. God this guy must have just been awful. 

#### mccagnan right in the ear

The idea that a 3rd round pass rusher from an SEC school isn't even good enough to keep for special teams is just insanity. God this guy must have just been awful. 

As you know if you read my post just now about Polite, we are on same page. I have to think Williams didn't think he had any redeemable value whatsoever. Williams as much as I'm happy he's our DC, is a ####### egomaniac and if he doesn't like someone for whatever the reason, he'll screw you. I'm wondering if it was something maybe Polite said or did that caused this because it just seems a bit suspicious to me that Polite couldn't have even made it out of training camp...it just doesn't make sense.

I'm trying to think but even as bad as our drafts have been over the years, I can't think of too many top 3 picks of ours not even making it out of training camp!. I mean ####, even Stephen Hill that bust of a WR we selected in the 2nd round 6-7 years ago made the team out of training camp and he seemed worse from my eyeballs when watching him and Polite and yet Polite can't even make the practice squad. You can't make #### like this up....only the friggen Jets cut 3rd round picks. Or maybe I should say only the Jets have a GM who picks a player in the 3rd round despite a ton of red flags and think he's the answer...lol 

Why do I get the impression that under Joe Douglass, #### like this won't be happening anymore. Hopefully it comes out to exactly the reason why Polite couldn't even make the team.   

for @Maximus*

Pick 1.6 – Leonard Williams, DL, USC (Yes)

Pick 2.37 – Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State  - In Dallas now

Pick 3.82 – Lorenzo Mauldin, EDGE, Louisville (No)

Pick 4.103 – Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor (No)

Pick 5.152 – Jarvis Harrison, OL, Texas A&M (No)

Pick 7.223 – Deon Simon, DL, Northwestern State

Pick 1.20 – Darron Lee, LB, Ohio State (In KC)

Pick 2.51 – Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State (No)

Pick 3.83 – Jordan Jenkins, EDGE, Georgia (Yes)

Pick 4.118 – Juston Burris, CB, NC State (No)

Pick 5.158 – Brandon Shell, OL, South Carolina (Yes)

Pick 7.235 – Lachlan Edwards, P, Sam Houston State (Yes)

Pick 7.241 – Charone Peake, WR, Clemson (No)

Pick 1.6 – Jamal Adams, S, LSU (Yes)

Pick 2.39 – Marcus Maye, S, Florida (Yes when he plays)

Pick 3.79 – ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama (NO)

Pick 4.141 – Chad Hansen, WR, California (NO)

Pick 5.150 – Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson (NO)

Pick 5.181 – Dylan Donahue, EDGE, West Georgia (No)

Pick 6.188 – Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette (No)

Pick 6.197 – Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan (No)

Pick 6.204 – Derrick Jones, CB, Ole Miss (No)

Pick 1.3 – Sam Darnold, QB, USC (Yes)

Pick 3.72 – Nathan Shepherd, DL, Fort Hays State (Yes - for now)

Pick 4.107 – Chris Herndon, TE, Miami (Yes)

Pick 6.179 – Parry Nickerson, CB, Tulane (no-traded yesterday)

Pick 6.180 – Folorunso Fatukasi, DL, Connecticut (Yes)

Pick 6.204 – Trenton Cannon, RB, Virginia State (Yes)

1 pick 3 Quinnen Williams DEAlabama (yes)

3 pick 68 (omg Jachai Polite DE Florida (no)

3 pick 92 Chuma Edoga Offensive Tackle USC (yes)

4 pick 121 Trevon Wesco Tight End West Virginia (yes, but hasn't looked good)

5  pick 157 Blake Cashman LB Minnesota

6 pick 195 Blessuan Austin CB Rutgers

He had a Vernon Gholston type impact on the defense. Just stood around on defense. No attempt to tackle. Nothing. Useless. JD must have thought this isn't my kind of guy and said GTFO

for @Maximus*

🤣

And even half the “yes” guys have made no impact at all. Trenton Cannon is an awful RB but maybe he makes a ST impact this year.

He has three guys fall into his lap when he had top 6 picks and that’s his track record in the draft. You just can’t survive throwing away draft picks like that. So sad.

Well at least they’re not giving up a draft pick like the Vikes did just to cut him.
Yep. Someone (me) pointed out in the kicking thread that you don't cut a guy for like two or three missed kicks. It's the yips. If he's worth a fifth, he's worth a fifth. 

Jets also picked u Braxton Berrios form the U and the Pats. Could be decent Crowder insurance.
Isn't he also a returner?

I just got home from buying this super nice (and expensive) OLED tv to watch us shank some kicks in the regular season. Idk. He looked really good the past 2 pre-seasons. I would think it was a couple of bad games, but he better straighten out quickly. Tell him not to worry about punting and let's just focus on field goals.

I really thought we would pick up more players. Only 4.  There appeared to be several decent CB options available yesterday. I thought we would grab a couple instead of just one.

And Josh Adams to the practice squad.

Well my Jet brothers at least we now know the real reason Polite was cut and not given a chance to even break camp with the team. There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Joe Douglass and don't **** with him or else....lol. 

In all seriousness, now that we know that Polite was screwing up off the field as well as on the field to the tune of over $100 large, tho it's tempting on one hand to give the guy a little bit more time to get his **** together, on the other, I like the message that this cutting of Polite sends and that is everyone is accountable and if they **** around and don't do their jobs, they are gone. 

For way too long, it's been a circus inside the Jet locker room. Well finally we got a regime that is changing the culture and it's for the good and it will eventually help the win loss record once we plug some of the holes we have in secondary and at linebacker in particularly.

Gotta be honest fellas, I got a man crush on this new sheriff of ours...:)

for @Maximus*

Rage your awesome for putting this list together as I appreciate however long it took you to do it. Now can I be allowed to puke after viewing it? lol

Seriously...my lord is that abysmal or what? So let me see if I got this right and do note I knew Mac was ####### up but it's even worse than I imagined.

So of 34 draft picks he made in the 5 drafts he orchestrated and was in charge of, I count 15 still on the Jets including 5 of the 6 picks from this year with Polite obviously being the one gonzo. I'm not too good at math but I do know that's less than a 50% success rate. You can't make #### like this up.

And of the five #1 picks we had, it can easily be argued that three of the picks were no brainers as Leo and Adams somehow fell into our laps and we had to take them and Quinnen was pretty much a no brainer. The one #1 pick he made which took some massaging was the Darnold pick and even that we got very fortunate that the Giants took Saquan and the Browns took Baker.

So the only pick that Mac had to use his thinking cap for a 1st round pick, he of course picks Darron Lee and he busts. What's really ironic is that Mac's last draft as Jet GM will probably end up being looked upon as his best on even with the cutting of Polite.I recall myself saying it at the time when the picks were made that I liked pretty much every one including the Polite pick as I thought he was worth the gamble in the 3rd round.

I think Edoga and Cashman will end up being solid contributers this year and beyond. Quinnen has a chance to be super star. And I still like the upsides of Wesco and Austin.

Anyways, thanks again Rage for putting the list together. Now I have to go finish throwing up....cheers bud...lol

Users who are viewing this thread