What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (9 Viewers)

Still doesn't mean mccown makes sense. Why pay teddy if you're not going to start him? He's either healthy or he's not. 
I really wish they just finished up with Bridgewater before rushing out to bring back McCown. McCown just seems like a tremendous waste of money now. They better let Bridgewater start. Theyre already wasting money let’s not waste time and the opportunity to evaluate Bridgewater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that's the other thing I hate. Signing teddy for just 1 year opens them up to get bamboozled if he plays and plays well. He'll have no loyalty to them, especially if they make him start as the backup to old man river.

This whole thing just seems like a lame duck front office/head coach having one foot in the water trying to avoid the 3 win disaster that would get them fired

Simply confusing to sign both Bridgewater and McCown. WTF.  I would have been fine with just Bridgewater. What purpose does it serve to have both of them (McCown at $10m)?  There is no future with him. He's already 38. At least Bridgewater is young and may possibly have a future. They would have been better off with McCarron over McCown and let him and Teddy compete.  Maybe they don't draft a QB now. Who the hell really knows? Not sure McCagnan does. 

Gonna have, what, $22-$25M tied up this season on 2 below avg QBs on 1 year deals?  Can Bridgewater being here possibly actually work out for the Jets as a long term answer?  Kind of failing to see how.

Feel like this solidifies that they HAVE to come away with a QB in this draft.  If you're spending $10M on McCown as a back up, you BETTER at least get a years worth of him mentoring a young QB prospect (that isn't Petty or Hack) out of it.

Gonna have, what, $22-$25M tied up this season on 2 below avg QBs on 1 year deals?  Can Bridgewater being here possibly actually work out for the Jets as a long term answer?  Kind of failing to see how.

Feel like this solidifies that they HAVE to come away with a QB in this draft.  If you're spending $10M on McCown as a back up, you BETTER at least get a years worth of him mentoring a young QB prospect (that isn't Petty or Hack) out of it.
Look at all those offensive weapons he'll have at his disposal. 

Teddy got $5m for one year.

Our old friend Mo got a 1 year deal with GB for a max of $8m.

Teddy got $5m for one year.

Our old friend Mo got a 1 year deal with GB for a max of $8m.
Even better, a small enough number that they won't feel compelled to give him starts just because.  That'll keep this QB competition real strong as we build our 1 year contender.  Who's ready for the Jordy Nelson smoke to start billowing?

The guaranteed money for each hasn't been announced yet, but it seems probable that one of McCown or Bridgewater gets cut before the season starts, no?

That's the only way signing both makes sense. Jets have a ton of cap space, so if they give each a $10M contract with $5M guaranteed and cut one of then before the season (after drafting a QB), then one of the vets is the 1 year starter while the other one gets $5M for doing nothing and the Jets easily just eat the $5M.

That makes even more sense if they're primarily looking to see if Bridgewater is healthy and able to start and keeping McCown as the insurance policy if he isn't. If Bridgewater is good to go they cut McCown. If he isn't they cut Bridgewater.

Even better, a small enough number that they won't feel compelled to give him starts just because.  That'll keep this QB competition real strong as we build our 1 year contender.  Who's ready for the Jordy Nelson smoke to start billowing?
McCagnan to save face with a high profile signing of Nelson?

Is your profile name related to band Sheer Terror?

Yeah that's the other thing I hate. Signing teddy for just 1 year opens them up to get bamboozled if he plays and plays well. He'll have no loyalty to them, especially if they make him start as the backup to old man river.

This whole thing just seems like a lame duck front office/head coach having one foot in the water trying to avoid the 3 win disaster that would get them fired
It’s possible he would only sign a one year deal because of the crap they pulled with McCown. Perhaps he didn’t want to be stuck here if they kept him behind McCown and/or a rookie all year.

The guaranteed money for each hasn't been announced yet, but it seems probable that one of McCown or Bridgewater gets cut before the season starts, no?

That's the only way signing both makes sense. Jets have a ton of cap space, so if they give each a $10M contract with $5M guaranteed and cut one of then before the season (after drafting a QB), then one of the vets is the 1 year starter while the other one gets $5M for doing nothing and the Jets easily just eat the $5M.

That makes even more sense if they're primarily looking to see if Bridgewater is healthy and able to start and keeping McCown as the insurance policy if he isn't. If Bridgewater is good to go they cut McCown. If he isn't they cut Bridgewater.
Hmm, quite possible.

what a roller coaster - day salvaged but like others I just dont see this as a big win with McCown overpay and Teddy on a 1 yr deal even though its cheap as heck.....would MUCH rather have had Teddy at 2 yrs for more $ and dumped McCown or put him in as a coach...also on 1 yr deals the heat is still on to draft and develop a QB....what has really changed?  

If right numbers add up to: $15M Trumaine, $15M QBs, Crow: TBD likely $5M yr?  so thats $35M which would leave them with $55M - $15M for draft and wiggle room leaves them with $40M left...

wish list: Jensen, ASJ, Willamson/Davis....probably about $25M there....then get depth...

what a roller coaster - day salvaged but like others I just dont see this as a big win with McCown overpay and Teddy on a 1 yr deal even though its cheap as heck.....would MUCH rather have had Teddy at 2 yrs for more $ and dumped McCown or put him in as a coach...also on 1 yr deals the heat is still on to draft and develop a QB....what has really changed?  

If right numbers add up to: $15M Trumaine, $15M QBs, Crow: TBD likely $5M yr?  so thats $35M which would leave them with $55M - $15M for draft and wiggle room leaves them with $40M left...

wish list: Jensen, ASJ, Willamson/Davis....probably about $25M there....then get depth...
and another CB

McNown is better than Teddy.

Awesome! I grew up in the NYC scene in the 80s and early 90s. I'm going to the Cro Mags on Thursday here in Houston.
Good stuff man...that was a little before my time but certainly the dawn of it - I started getting into it in middle school then high school during that era of the DMS bands, 25 ta Life (LOL) E Town Concrete, etc. I always get a kick out of seeing Keith Peterson of GFY notoriety as a regular ref in the UFC.  

Anyway, never saw Sheer Terror live, always digged em though when I discovered them in the earlier days of Napster back in HS.  Also, Jets suck.

Bridgewater was on his way to being a good starting QB before the injury.  He's had 2 years to get healthy and is still very young.  If he isn't healthy, he can be cut easily.  If he is and he picks up where he left off, you have your QB of the future.  This is a low risk with potentially high reward signing IMO. 

Bridgewater was on his way to being a good starting QB before the injury.  He's had 2 years to get healthy and is still very young.  If he isn't healthy, he can be cut easily.  If he is and he picks up where he left off, you have your QB of the future.  This is a low risk with potentially high reward signing IMO. 
If he picks up where he left off, we're in the same position we're in right now next offseason, in hoping to sign him as a FA.

If he picks up where he left off, we're in the same position we're in right now next offseason, in hoping to sign him as a FA.
He can be franchised if needed.  The teams have almost always had a major advantage when it comes to keeping talent in house.  All the Jets need to do in that case is not act like the Redskins.

So they're gonna draft a qb and make him a third stringer? Oof
Not necessarily. If Bridgewater is the starter, they could give the rookie second team practice reps while still dressing McCown on game days (or even just making him the emergency QB). McCown shouldnt need the reps as a veteran. 

So other than not being able to quit Josh McCown, it was a pretty good day for the team after a slow start. Signed the top CB and ILB on the market, a 25 year old form Pro Bowl QB and a talented RB (although I could have lived without that one also).

Hopefully o-line is next. Unfortunately anymore legit offensive weapons will likely need to come from the draft, as the WR and TE talent in free agency has all but dried up.

So other than not being able to quit Josh McCown, it was a pretty good day for the team after a slow start. Signed the top CB and ILB on the market, a 25 year old form Pro Bowl QB and a talented RB (although I could have lived without that one also).

Hopefully o-line is next. Unfortunately anymore legit offensive weapons will likely need to come from the draft, as the WR and TE talent in free agency has all but dried up.
I will refrain from comment until we see the contract numbers.  Like you said, hopefully the oline is next. Center is a necessity. All of the others could be upgraded although we're stuck with Beachum as I think his contract is guaranteed for this season.

It sounds like the Jets dipped a toe in the WR market, but didn't like the prices. They should bid on Cam Meredith. The Bears can match, but there is no compensation if they don't.  I really liked what I saw of him in limited time before he got hurt.

At TE, we have Leggett coming back, but he was basically an injured red-shirt last year. We can't count on him. I think ASJ has priced himself out. Eifert on an incentive based contract? Not sure if there is anything else out there.

As an outsider (Bears fan) who is quite familiar with the concept of lousy QB play for a *long* time, let me ask this. Isn't McCown expected to be an actual coach once he retires, and for the Jets? Or is that just fanciful?  Isn't he fundamentally the leader of the QB room? So don't you pretty much have to say he is the starter going into camp? Teddy needs to show the entire world whether he can play QB again. And if he can play it well. The rookie that they better draft will also need to show themself. I don't know how you do it any other way, once having missed on Cousins and others. Hopefully Teddy can just win the job during camp. 

people really think Bridgewater is a starting NFL QB? sheesh..he's terrible. possibly a good backup .. but you're not sitting the guy who has been pretty remarkable as a starting QB for the Jets, one who has the displeasure of paying for a totally inept coaching staff, he's kept it together and has been an all star for the team,all things considered..Bridgewateer brings nothing to the table he's a sneeze away from a torn rotator cuff..he wasn't eye-popping good in MInnesota and he won't be in NY. I know McCown is a gypsie and a drifter , but the Jets were remarkably good for a team that was supposed to be 0-16 as everyone in here said last summer. ( except me, I had them at 6-7 wins). 

relax Jets fans, you still have McCown.a high draft pick.a solid backup in Bridgewater ( maybe he's solid who knows) , and plenty of ammo at the draft to acquire a QB of the future, or any other position they need..

but there's no way TB amounts to anything more than a hill of beans.

people really think Bridgewater is a starting NFL QB? sheesh..he's terrible. possibly a good backup .. but you're not sitting the guy who has been pretty remarkable as a starting QB for the Jets, one who has the displeasure of paying for a totally inept coaching staff, he's kept it together and has been an all star for the team,all things considered..Bridgewateer brings nothing to the table he's a sneeze away from a torn rotator cuff..he wasn't eye-popping good in MInnesota and he won't be in NY. I know McCown is a gypsie and a drifter , but the Jets were remarkably good for a team that was supposed to be 0-16 as everyone in here said last summer. ( except me, I had them at 6-7 wins). 

relax Jets fans, you still have McCown.a high draft pick.a solid backup in Bridgewater ( maybe he's solid who knows) , and plenty of ammo at the draft to acquire a QB of the future, or any other position they need..

but there's no way TB amounts to anything more than a hill of beans.
I wasn't impressed either from what I remember from a distance. He looked like a game manager at best.....which seems light years better than either Petty or Hack from what we've seen or not seen so far.

10m for a third string qb isn't much better
Unfortunately he may be the starter - but you’ll get no argument from me. I guess the only way to look at it without going crazy is they likely won’t come close to using all their cap space anyway and it’s only a one year deal so they’ll get that cap space back next year.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
I wasn't impressed either from what I remember from a distance. He looked like a game manager at best.....which seems light years better than either Petty or Hack from what we've seen or not seen so far.
He hasn’t even started two full seasons so looking like a game manager should be normal (a lot of top QBs started out tha way) and like you imply better than looking like trash.

I do not think he can be elite necessarily, but I do think he can be a solid mid tier QB that can win provided that he has a team around him.

I thought Nate Solder was a lock to return to NE, but now that I see the Browns and Giants are making a serious push to sign him (and he's listening) I hope the Jets make a serious run at him. It's not like these players "hate" their rivals like fans do. That would be a great get for this team. Him and the Jensen would be a great start to putting together a nice o-line - then throw a few draft picks that way and we are in business.

At TE, we have Leggett coming back, but he was basically an injured red-shirt last year. We can't count on him. I think ASJ has priced himself out. Eifert on an incentive based contract? Not sure if there is anything else out there.
When I read his nickname was "Lazy Legett" at  ASU I suddenly became less excited about the pick - but hopefully he can step up.

I'd consider bringing Efiert on board as well. When he's healthy he's a top 5 talent at the position. After finally seeing some hope at TE last season, I don't want to go back to seeing our TEs finish the season with 10 total receptions.

Jets agreed to terms with C Spencer Long, formerly of the Redskins.

2017 was a lost season for Long, who underwent a knee scope during training camp and eventually landed on IR with a quad injury. He should benefit from a change of scenery and brings versatility to a Jets O line that needs all the help it can get. With Long off to East Rutherford, the Redskins will move forward with 2017 sixth-rounder Chase Roullier at center.
I have to admit I do not know much about him, but he is listed as the top free agent Center (ahead of Richburg and Jensen) by Spotrac and is only 27 so :thumbup:

After a day to digest, I'm coming around to it all.

McCown was brought back because we know he can play decently, and is invaluable as a locker room presence. From what we hear from the beat writers who are actually in the locker room, that aspect is pretty big, so paying 10 million for one year for your rookie bridge / backup / mentor is fine. 

Bridgewater is cheap insurance/dart. I'm a little surprised at people writing him off. High draft pedigree, played decent enough as a 22/23 y/o, made the playoffs, and then got hurt. That's prettymuch all we know. Lots can happen in the NFL - even if/when they draft a prized rookie qb, what happens if he gets hurt like Watson did last year?  $5 mil for Bridgewater is smart. If he's not recovered, or he's lost whatever it was that made him a 1st round pick, it's an easy cut. If he plays lights out and beats out McCown and a rookie... well, we'll cross that bridge later. 

Look at it this way - which trio do you prefer?

A) Rookie, TB, one of petty/hack

B) Rookie, McCown, one of petty/hack

C) Rookie, McCown, TB

I think choice C is the win here.

Of course, maybe a rookie isn't the plan at 6 either (let's face it - nobody is a no-brainer Andrew Luck-type pick). That makes McCown/TB an even better move. 

I thought Nate Solder was a lock to return to NE, but now that I see the Browns and Giants are making a serious push to sign him (and he's listening) I hope the Jets make a serious run at him. It's not like these players "hate" their rivals like fans do. That would be a great get for this team. Him and the Jensen would be a great start to putting together a nice o-line - then throw a few draft picks that way and we are in business.
I think he got over $15m /yr with the Giants

Users who are viewing this thread