What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (3 Viewers)

Horrific performance....not much talent out there but just look at SF who rolled the Giants with their JV team....and the Colts are not that good.....add to the fact that they were again non competitive.....

Denver is a mess as well.....best chance for a W that I see for a while....if they lose and look bad it would be the best chance for Chris to pull the plug until the bye week.....I still dont believe that stubborn delusional owner will do so.  

Can’t see Gase lasting much longer after 3 straight demolitions of the Jets. They are the worst team in football and I don’t think it’s close. 

I mean...yeah, the players are horrible. But Gase is still the major problem and a complete roadblock to any sort of improvement. I hope they get absolutely humiliated on Thursday night and he gets canned. But I dont think it happens. They're gonna want to give him a few games with (in theory) his offensive weapons back in the fold (assuming Bell, Crowder and Mims can get back in the next 2 weeks) My guess is that he makes it at least to the bye.  Hopefully a beat down against Miami in week 10 is enough to finally pull the trigger.

Sam continues to be terrible. After he threw the pick6 to start the game, he had a look in his eyes that I hadn't seen before on the next drive. It was like it suddenly clicked that his career is on the line here. The next drive, he looked like a man possessed and that TD pass was INCREDIBLE.

And then he threw the pick in the end zone and apparently pretty much blew chunks the rest of the day (I stopped watching after the pick in the end zone. I didn't want to ruin my day watching for 2 and a half more hours)

They're just completely devoid of talent, leadership and a decent gameplan on both sides of the ball. Williams made chicken salad out of chicken #### last year, but it appears that Adams was a MASSIVE part of that. They really miss him (not that we didn't expect it).

Disappointing to not see Q. Williams follow up on his great performance, but not too many guys look good again Nelson. What a monster that kid is.

Hope Becton is ok, but with our luck.....

Last edited by a moderator:
What a disaster - sub Kotite performance - those teams were actually competitive but just lost......

QB - Sam was bad....real bad....but then he gives you a play like that TD pass where it sucks you back in and gives you hope.....problem is they need to pick up the 5th yr option this offseason and it will likely be close to $25M....no way he has shown he is worth close to that.....I still dont believe they will get the #1 pick but if they do this will be the reason they go with Lawrence and not Sam....its the Jets own fault for ruining the kid but you just cant bet $25M on what we've seen so far....if they dont get the #1 its going to be a very tough decision...

RB - Gore is a gamer but Ill keep saying it - every snap he takes is wasted development.....Perrine looked good and needs to get more snaps...he should be featured while Bell is out....but Gase is coaching for his life and could care less about developing right now. 

WR - Berrios has heart ill give him that but what a wasteland.....worst ive ever seen and JD has to take a hit on that

TE - shine falling off Herndon....drops too many...should be featured with no WRs and does nothing.....looking like another whiff

OL - of course Becton gets hurt....OL wasnt awful but Sam was running for his life way too often

DL - No Q.....was it a one time deal?  Didnt get crushed on the run but no pass rush

LB - no playmakers.....Avery seemed meh 

DBs - CBs were terrible - McDougal looked scared of contact....and of course Ashton Davis is injured

coach - coaching plan was awful as usual - no creativity on both sides of the ball.....GWill has taken a big step back

GM - has to take a hit with the lack of talent - Gase cant coach but 49ers backups look like all stars compared to the jets....JD went cheap and they are paying the price.....

owner - Gase watch is on - Johnsons are stubborn but the jets are a bona fide laughing stock and they dont like that.....Thurs blowout by Denver and you never know.....

Update: Indianapolis scored 26 points standard scoring on fantasy defense. That's the ungodly rate one reserves for guys named "Fales," not Darnold.

That was a pathetic display of both real and fantasy football for the Jets.

On the plus side (I watched a bit of the game, tuning in late enough to miss the first pick-six) was Berrios, who looked like a good slot receiver. If the world were slot receivers and we were New England from '01-'18, that'd be great. But we're not New England '01-'18, so it would be nice not to have a helicopter unit in there right now. 

They stink. I'll continue to watch Game Mix on DirecTV instead of the actual Jets channel.

What a disaster - sub Kotite performance - those teams were actually competitive but just lost......

QB - Sam was bad....real bad....but then he gives you a play like that TD pass where it sucks you back in and gives you hope.....problem is they need to pick up the 5th yr option this offseason and it will likely be close to $25M....no way he has shown he is worth close to that.....I still dont believe they will get the #1 pick but if they do this will be the reason they go with Lawrence and not Sam....its the Jets own fault for ruining the kid but you just cant bet $25M on what we've seen so far....if they dont get the #1 its going to be a very tough decision...

RB - Gore is a gamer but Ill keep saying it - every snap he takes is wasted development.....Perrine looked good and needs to get more snaps...he should be featured while Bell is out....but Gase is coaching for his life and could care less about developing right now. 

WR - Berrios has heart ill give him that but what a wasteland.....worst ive ever seen and JD has to take a hit on that

TE - shine falling off Herndon....drops too many...should be featured with no WRs and does nothing.....looking like another whiff

OL - of course Becton gets hurt....OL wasnt awful but Sam was running for his life way too often

DL - No Q.....was it a one time deal?  Didnt get crushed on the run but no pass rush

DBs - CBs were terrible - McDougal looked scared of contact....and of course Ashton Davis is injured

coach - coaching plan was awful as usual - no creativity on both sides of the ball.....GWill has taken a big step back

GM - has to take a hit with the lack of talent - Gase cant coach but 49ers backups look like all stars compared to the jets....JD went cheap and they are paying the price.....

owner - Gase watch is on - Johnsons are stubborn but the jets are a bona fide laughing stock and they dont like that.....Thurs blowout by Denver and you never know.....
Very good synopsis of the suckage from Sunday.

I hate too say it and I'll repeat what I've been saying from the beginning....Gase is going nowhere till most likely at end of season. No one mentions this except apparently me but Douglass got his job due to Gase. Douglass is also making 6 mill per due to Gase's recommendation as well. NO chance Douglass recommends to the Johnson's to lets Gase go until after the season.

I know I said last week that maybe just maybe if we are 1-9 by the bye, Douglass would get make a move than. Now tho due to how horrible we are, I don't see Douglass even doing it than no matte how ####ty the Jets are.

Now this could be a good thing if we want the first pick overall if Gase stays so it might not be a bad idea if we cross our fingers and he does stay till this nightmare of a season is over.

Oh and one more thing to point out which I hate too bring up but what guarantee is there that if we get the #1 overall pick, that Lawrence decides to come out early and enter the draft. Maybe he pulls a Peyton in 1997 and due too it being the Jets and him not wanting to join this abominable organization, he decides to stay in school and comes out a year later.

Once again Jets can get F'd even if we do the tank right because it would be just another  typical Jet like thing to happen for Lawrence to decide to not come out early ....just sayin! 

Very good synopsis of the suckage from Sunday.

I hate too say it and I'll repeat what I've been saying from the beginning....Gase is going nowhere till most likely at end of season. No one mentions this except apparently me but Douglass got his job due to Gase. Douglass is also making 6 mill per due to Gase's recommendation as well. NO chance Douglass recommends to the Johnson's to lets Gase go until after the season.

I know I said last week that maybe just maybe if we are 1-9 by the bye, Douglass would get make a move than. Now tho due to how horrible we are, I don't see Douglass even doing it than no matte how ####ty the Jets are.

Now this could be a good thing if we want the first pick overall if Gase stays so it might not be a bad idea if we cross our fingers and he does stay till this nightmare of a season is over.

Oh and one more thing to point out which I hate too bring up but what guarantee is there that if we get the #1 overall pick, that Lawrence decides to come out early and enter the draft. Maybe he pulls a Peyton in 1997 and due too it being the Jets and him not wanting to join this abominable organization, he decides to stay in school and comes out a year later.

Once again Jets can get F'd even if we do the tank right because it would be just another  typical Jet like thing to happen for Lawrence to decide to not come out early ....just sayin! 
I agree Douglas would not pull the plug on Gase....but Johnson makes the call ultimately and if they get embarrassed on national TV Thurs pm then he could pull the trigger.....I'll believe it when I see it as the Jets are notorious to not firing in season....and the owner would look even more foolish as he does after calling him brilliant 2 weeks ago.  

I also dont think the Jets are lucky enough to get the #1 pick....and if they did Lawrence could get nervous based on the disaster that they put Sam through....however if they land a good coach they should be able to sell him on NY market and real GM in place with lots of picks, good coach and FA money.  

I agree Douglas would not pull the plug on Gase....but Johnson makes the call ultimately and if they get embarrassed on national TV Thurs pm then he could pull the trigger.....I'll believe it when I see it as the Jets are notorious to not firing in season....and the owner would look even more foolish as he does after calling him brilliant 2 weeks ago.  

I also dont think the Jets are lucky enough to get the #1 pick....and if they did Lawrence could get nervous based on the disaster that they put Sam through....however if they land a good coach they should be able to sell him on NY market and real GM in place with lots of picks, good coach and FA money.  
i'm holding firm on this, even if we get embarrassed on national TV Thursday nite which is a distinct possibility with that great QB Denver has in Jeff Driscoll not a chance on gods green earth Gase is going anywhere.

Despite the dysfunctional way Jets do things when it comes to decision making, there is not a doubt that due to the Johnson's knowing absolutely #### about football, they'll rely on Douglass on this and he will be the one to make the decision to let Gase go or not. And Douglass simply is not going to go that route with  the guy who helped him get his gig! It's called loyalty no matter how you slice and dice it or whether we like it or not. After the season is a different story but in season...I'd say Gase has a 98% chance of finishing out the year.

A some point you put him out of his and our misery.. it might be Friday... 

this franchise is a trail of tears....
Just because I don't think he's going to be gone before the end of the year doesn't mean I don't want him gone ASAP and for you to be right.

Unfortunately as was said, it's just not the way the Jets roll.  

Twitter rumors that they are already interviewing internal candidates with the most likely scenario being Greg Williams as HC, Jim Bob Cooter as OC and Gase, Loggains and Vitt out. I’ll be fine with that. 

FYI: Mahomes on the Jets with same Gase led coaching staff and weaponry and O-Line that Sam has wouldn't be all that much better than Darnold. He'd be better but nothing crazy.

The #4 WR on the Chiefs Hartman would be by far the #1 WR on the Jets AINEC....enough said!

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

TLEF316 said:
Pretty sure Andy Reid's dumps are more creative than Gase's entire playbook.
If you watch some of the tape from the game, it's frightening. Gase's schemes are the worst.

Just look at that first pick six. He rolls out Darnold to the left and sends both WRs deep into coverage. On the other side of the field, the WR on the right runs an out to the right sideline which is a complete waste with Darnold running to the left. He should have at least run to the middle of the field towards the QB.  Darnold had nothing to throw to and forced a pass to one of his WRs where the coverage was.  Let me guess: Gase will say the play call was fine, but it wasn't executed properly.

Gase is incompetent.

Dr. Octopus said:
Twitter rumors that they are already interviewing internal candidates with the most likely scenario being Greg Williams as HC, Jim Bob Cooter as OC and Gase, Loggains and Vitt out. I’ll be fine with that. 
Started by Colin Cowherd fwiw

mphtrilogy said:
A some point you put him out of his and our misery.. it might be Friday... 

this franchise is a trail of tears....
I don't know. This game scares me. We might have a small chance of winning facing a back-up QB and banged up team.  That would keep Gase around and ruin our draft status. We're only 5th right now. Six teams are 0-3 and we're 5th due to strength of schedule.  Critical game with Denver.

I don't know. This game scares me. We might have a small chance of winning facing a back-up QB and banged up team.  That would keep Gase around and ruin our draft status. We're only 5th right now. Six teams are 0-3 and we're 5th due to strength of schedule.  Critical game with Denver.
Seems like he lost the team. I wonder if the team sabotages the game. If the front office knows this can happen they might as well cut Gase now and get started on a new plan and use the DC as the head coach for remainder of the season. I hope the Jets don’t try to pry McDaniels from NE.

Seems like he lost the team. I wonder if the team sabotages the game. If the front office knows this can happen they might as well cut Gase now and get started on a new plan and use the DC as the head coach for remainder of the season. I hope the Jets don’t try to pry McDaniels from NE.
If they plan to fire him if the team loses, he really should be fired either way. Why should a win over another bad team decimated by injuries save his job? That makes no sense. Just further incompetance by the Johnsons.

If you watch some of the tape from the game, it's frightening. Gase's schemes are the worst.

Just look at that first pick six. He rolls out Darnold to the left and sends both WRs deep into coverage. On the other side of the field, the WR on the right runs an out to the right sideline which is a complete waste with Darnold running to the left. He should have at least run to the middle of the field towards the QB.  Darnold had nothing to throw to and forced a pass to one of his WRs where the coverage was.  Let me guess: Gase will say the play call was fine, but it wasn't executed properly.

Gase is incompetent.

It really is scary. I get that Reid is a HOF coach and has a potentially all time great QB (plus several INCREDIBLE weapons). But it doesn't take these things to think up.....i dont know......ONE play where your team gets an easy chunk of yardage or a walk-in TD.  That little middle screen that they ran to Kelce last night....incredible design. And its not like Sam isn't mobile enough to roll out and make the throw.

Again, I totally get that everything the Chiefs have (Hill's speed taking the top off the D, CEH as a threat on the outside, Mahomes' excellent movement and ball skills, etc) are what make it look so easy. But it just doesn't look like Gase is even trying to draw up something beyond a high school level scheme. EVERYTHING is contested, which is even less effective when you're playing scrubs fresh off the practice squad.  There's no easy completions. Everything is a grind. Its just BRUTAL to watch.

But it just doesn't look like Gase is even trying to draw up something beyond a high school level scheme. EVERYTHING is contested, which is even less effective when you're playing scrubs fresh off the practice squad.  There's no easy completions. Everything is a grind. Its just BRUTAL to watch.
This. Everything on offense seems so hard. They never get a first down on first down, and never dictate the game flow. You never hear "boy, the Jets offense really has them on their heels". Even when they have a decent drive, it's super contested 6-yard sideline completions, two yard runs, and a third down scramble or two. It feels like it's been this way forever.

Who would be the realistic long term candidates?
No one until the offseason. They are not bringing in a long term candidate until then. I don't want McDaniels then either - even if he was willing to come. He failed miserably away from Belichick and he's a ##### for what he did to Indy.

This. Everything on offense seems so hard. They never get a first down on first down, and never dictate the game flow. You never hear "boy, the Jets offense really has them on their heels". Even when they have a decent drive, it's super contested 6-yard sideline completions, two yard runs, and a third down scramble or two. It feels like it's been this way forever.
Don't forget Gase's infamous WR screen for a yard.

In terms of actual candidates.....

I HAVE to think this is the off-season that Bieniemy finally gets a gig.  And I think there will be several teams gunning for him. Obviously he's not the main play-caller (That's Reid's job) but I'm sure he's intimately involved in the scheming and has obviously helped develop Mahomes.

Lincoln Riley- Similar profile to Kingsbury (who appears to be a good hire at this point) but with actual winning experience. Brings a high octane passing game to the table. (although it would obviously have to be tweaked to work in the NFL)

I'm sure Greg Roman will be thrown around (he's a NJ guy and he briefly worked with Douglas in Baltimore) but I'm not sure he's a great fit. He's obviously built a great scheme around Jackson but Jackson is SO unique.

There are going to be hurdles. If you want to get a premium candidate, you better be able to show stability and long-term promise. Obviously having the inside track on Lawrence would help that. But the ownership is so dysfunctional. And if Trump loses the election....good chance that Woody loses his post in London and is back running things next year.  (not that Chris has proven to be any better)

I saw this article from NY post. It is a pretty good synopsis. Gase strength was to develop the young QB, and there hasnt been any evidence that Darnold has improved at all. I also think Gase had some beef with Bell before he even ran the ball once. This just seems like the head coach is incompetent. In the article the Jets have been outscored 59-13 in first half of games. So they are essentially out of the games early.

They really should just get rid of Gase now to show the players they are trying to right the ship. The Jets are as bad now as they have ever been, which is saying a lot. The handling and trade of Adams is unforgivable. And they spun it like he was a head case and a bad apple. But it seems the team is now as a whole turning on him. Kind of hard not to see that Gase has ruined the relationships with his best playmakers... Adams, Bell, etc... Now QB says he isn’t playing consistently well enough to be a QB in this league. Sounds broken. 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/27/adam-gase-and-sam-darnold-are-running-out-of-jets-chances/

I saw this article from NY post. It is a pretty good synopsis. Gase strength was to develop the young QB, and there hasnt been any evidence that Darnold has improved at all. I also think Gase had some beef with Bell before he even ran the ball once. This just seems like the head coach is incompetent. In the article the Jets have been outscored 59-13 in first half of games. So they are essentially out of the games early.

They really should just get rid of Gase now to show the players they are trying to right the ship. The Jets are as bad now as they have ever been, which is saying a lot. The handling and trade of Adams is unforgivable. And they spun it like he was a head case and a bad apple. But it seems the team is now as a whole turning on him. Kind of hard not to see that Gase has ruined the relationships with his best playmakers... Adams, Bell, etc... Now QB says he isn’t playing consistently well enough to be a QB in this league. Sounds broken. 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/27/adam-gase-and-sam-darnold-are-running-out-of-jets-chances/

completely disagree Re: Adams.  Yes, they obviously look terrible without him now. They traded him after the draft and most of Free Agency and when you compound that with Mosley opting out (and the general lack of talent at other key spots) and the offense keeping them constantly on the field....the D looks terrible.

But Adams was an all-time level diva who plays a non-premium position. Dude started crying for an extension like 2 years into his rookie deal. Thought he was above the rest of the team with his "I'm a winner.....these guys are losers" mentality.  (maybe he was from a talent perspective, but still)

The only thing the Jets MAYBE did wrong with Adams is not trading him a few months earlier. But who knows what kind of haul they would have gotten. I'm guessing Seattle wouldn't have given up as much if they had to give up THIS year's first rounder (since they're trying to win a superbowl)

Bottom line....the guy wanted out and Douglas pretty much extracted maximum value. (given the situation).  They will be late first rounders and are obviously no sure thing. But its pretty clear Adams didn't want to be here no matter what.  How did they mistreat him? By not giving him an extension before Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson? Oh, the humanity!!!!

In terms of actual candidates.....

I HAVE to think this is the off-season that Bieniemy finally gets a gig.  And I think there will be several teams gunning for him. Obviously he's not the main play-caller (That's Reid's job) but I'm sure he's intimately involved in the scheming and has obviously helped develop Mahomes.

Lincoln Riley- Similar profile to Kingsbury (who appears to be a good hire at this point) but with actual winning experience. Brings a high octane passing game to the table. (although it would obviously have to be tweaked to work in the NFL)

I'm sure Greg Roman will be thrown around (he's a NJ guy and he briefly worked with Douglas in Baltimore) but I'm not sure he's a great fit. He's obviously built a great scheme around Jackson but Jackson is SO unique.

There are going to be hurdles. If you want to get a premium candidate, you better be able to show stability and long-term promise. Obviously having the inside track on Lawrence would help that. But the ownership is so dysfunctional. And if Trump loses the election....good chance that Woody loses his post in London and is back running things next year.  (not that Chris has proven to be any better)
Bieniemy was already interviewed and they reportedly liked Rhule, Gase, and McCarthy more. I think they even had Monken and Kingsbury higher. I doubt they go back to that well. The Johnsons care too much about being right vs admitting they were wrong.

I've read that Riley would want too much control and that would be an issue with JD.

I doubt that they would go with someone like Saleh. They probably want an offensive coach, but who the hell knows. Anyone but Gase.

They also need to scrap this structure that puts the coach and GM on the same reporting level. That's... weird. It fosters uncertainty - there's no way it can't. 

Let your GM be a real GM. Let Douglas hire the coach he wants. 

They also need to scrap this structure that puts the coach and GM on the same reporting level. That's... weird. It fosters uncertainty - there's no way it can't. 

Let your GM be a real GM. Let Douglas hire the coach he wants. 
The Johnsons just can't see to grasp how bad of an idea this is even after years of it ruining the franchise with constant turnover. Next they'll hire some coach that wants control and fire Douglas a year later.

you could argue, where the jets were several ago, they should have kept and played bridgewater and built the team before going for a qb.  in this day and age, you need a team, then a qb.  it’s simple economics, you can’t pay this qb $25mm.  i don’t even know if lawrence would be on a winning timeline.  issue around all of this is that the jets have had plenty of draft equity but seem to pick every wrong guy and make every wrong decision.  can someone explain drafting a project qb in the 4th round this year?  he isn’t even the backup and then they sign joe flacco’s corpse?  they may have had quentin nelson in the darnold draft and not needed to move up and deal a 2 to indy.  this team needs 3-4 years worth of decent drafts to build a core.  

interesting takes today  

Completely agree that if the rumor is true why the heck would it matter if they beat a terrible/beat up Denver team....just pull the plug now and see if Jim Bob can put in a better system for Sam

I still dont think they end up #1......but either way they have a real problem at QB....Sam's 5th yr option is over $20M - how can they pay that after this yr?  

If they did get lucky enough to draft Lawrence...I think they are well ahead of where they were when drafting Sam....if they had 2 more good drafts with the extra picks and FA $ they should be able to compete by Lawrence's 3rd yr if hes the real deal

Adams - I still agree with the trade - even if he is a beast whats the point of having a $16M safety on this train wreck of a team.....they will finally be competing 3 yrs into his new deal and he'll want another one prematurely....Im fine with the haul....just wish JD would have used some of the extra $ for more WR depth for Sam.  

completely disagree Re: Adams.  Yes, they obviously look terrible without him now. They traded him after the draft and most of Free Agency and when you compound that with Mosley opting out (and the general lack of talent at other key spots) and the offense keeping them constantly on the field....the D looks terrible.

But Adams was an all-time level diva who plays a non-premium position. Dude started crying for an extension like 2 years into his rookie deal. Thought he was above the rest of the team with his "I'm a winner.....these guys are losers" mentality.  (maybe he was from a talent perspective, but still)

The only thing the Jets MAYBE did wrong with Adams is not trading him a few months earlier. But who knows what kind of haul they would have gotten. I'm guessing Seattle wouldn't have given up as much if they had to give up THIS year's first rounder (since they're trying to win a superbowl)

Bottom line....the guy wanted out and Douglas pretty much extracted maximum value. (given the situation).  They will be late first rounders and are obviously no sure thing. But its pretty clear Adams didn't want to be here no matter what.  How did they mistreat him? By not giving him an extension before Patrick Mahomes or Deshaun Watson? Oh, the humanity!!!!
I think he was the best player on the team heading into his fourth and final year of his contract. Was told he was going to be a Jet for life by the GM. Never received an initial offer, even if it would be lower than desired. It isn’t that different than the position Dalvin Cook was in. But Minny followed through on their feeling that they wanted Cook to be there for the long haul. I think a pro bowl player can expect a contract extension heading into their fourth year. PFF had Adams graded as top safety last season. I think that sometimes fans have a perspective built on media spun by front office pr. And the front offices try to paint a picture of a bad apple prior to cutting or trading a player. They do this sometimes when a player doesn’t deserve it. If you are saying that Adams isn’t allowed to voice his displeasure heading into final year of his contract after being told he’d get an offer.... then you don’t understand the business side of this and don’t deserve pro bowl drafted talent. Can’t have it both ways. I think Adams was the type of player that Belichick and Brady feared. Just like they feared other safeties in the past, like Ed Reed. Adams has the potential to be mentioned in the same light if his career continues at the level he has and is playing at. I do recognize your GM got a better haul than I would have thought given it was so late in free agency and close to start of the season. But when you have a pro bowl player wanting out because he was promised an extension and he is saying there was a problem with his head coach and he can’t trust GM... you need to look beyond just the player and recognize there is mismanagement going on. 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jamal-adams-trade-joe-douglas-contract-extension-20200724-vc6zwwpmjrepjii67hojt2t5ri-story.html

There are some interesting quotes from Adams himself, wether you care for the author or not. He’s saying his head coach doesn’t talk to him and let’s other coaches address the team when the team doesn’t perform well. Doesnt sound like a leader. He also is saying he doesn’t trust GM due to not following through on his words. Doesn’t sound like a leader. 

Need fire Gase and find someone that they players will respect and look to as a leader when times get rough. Why does a Thursday game against an 0-3 team have anything to do with wether or not this guy is head coach any longer? Problem at the top and on down. I think that you can’t blame pro bowl players for being the problem when they are pointing to the root of the problem. I have little faith that the Jets have a front office that can deliver average or better record. 

But you can disagree, and this is ok. It is sad for fans. 

First off, Adams didn't just start complaining about his contract "going into his 4th year". It started WAY before that. And unlike Cook, he basically went scorched earth trashing various members of the organization (even though Gase obviously deserves it). He didn't "state his displeasure". He threw a tantrum.  Nobody painted him as anything. His actions/words were all over social media for anyone to see.

Nobody is disputing how good Adams was or whether he deserved more money(looking at things in a vacuum)  based on his play.  But he wasn't "in the last year of his deal". The Jets held a 5th year option for ~$10 Million. (and could obviously franchise after that) Could/Should they have given an extension earlier? I guess. But if you think it makes sense for a losing team to go around giving early, top of the market (actually, re-setting the market if you believe the rumors of what Adams wanted) extensions to players at non-premium positions, it seems like maybe you're the one who doesn't understand the business side of things.   High drafted rookies are made instant multi-millionaires before proving ANYTHING and in exchange, they potentially (if their team elects not to extend them early) give up some deserved earnings at the end of the rookie deal (if they prove to be an elite player). That's how the CBA works.

The idea that Jets fans "don't deserve pro-bowl talent" if they dont feel that Adams was a victim here is so silly I can't even argue against it.  The idea that the Pats "feared" Adams (who they beat 6 out of 6 times in 3 years, 5 blowouts) or that it would have any impact on whether the jets gave him an extension is equally stupid.

Nobody is arguing that management (ownership or coaching) has done anything less than a disastrous job the last 2 years. So not sure where that came from.

I've changed my stance on Adams. Clearly I've misunderstood him because I don't understand the business side of things. Poor Jamal.

First off, Adams didn't just start complaining about his contract "going into his 4th year". It started WAY before that. And unlike Cook, he basically went scorched earth trashing various members of the organization (even though Gase obviously deserves it). He didn't "state his displeasure". He threw a tantrum.  Nobody painted him as anything. His actions/words were all over social media for anyone to see.

Nobody is disputing how good Adams was or whether he deserved more money(looking at things in a vacuum)  based on his play.  But he wasn't "in the last year of his deal". The Jets held a 5th year option for ~$10 Million. (and could obviously franchise after that) Could/Should they have given an extension earlier? I guess. But if you think it makes sense for a losing team to go around giving early, top of the market (actually, re-setting the market if you believe the rumors of what Adams wanted) extensions to players at non-premium positions, it seems like maybe you're the one who doesn't understand the business side of things.   High drafted rookies are made instant multi-millionaires before proving ANYTHING and in exchange, they potentially (if their team elects not to extend them early) give up some deserved earnings at the end of the rookie deal (if they prove to be an elite player). That's how the CBA works.

The idea that Jets fans "don't deserve pro-bowl talent" if they dont feel that Adams was a victim here is so silly I can't even argue against it.  The idea that the Pats "feared" Adams (who they beat 6 out of 6 times in 3 years, 5 blowouts) or that it would have any impact on whether the jets gave him an extension is equally stupid.

Nobody is arguing that management (ownership or coaching) has done anything less than a disastrous job the last 2 years. So not sure where that came from.
I don’t disagree with everything you are saying. And I know you follow Jets closer than I do. But I don’t think the stupid comment is called for. People can disagree without you resorting to saying someone is stupid.

And here is a recent comment where Belichick describes Adams as a disruptive player. I can’t find it but a few years ago Belichick heaped Paris on Adams because he could read plays and be in a position by reading plays before the ball was snapped. And he showed different plays where Adams played well away from his assignment and broke up a screen play because he saw the alignment and evidently studied film and went off script. He directly compared him to Ed Reed. Wish I could find that show footage.

But here is what he said about him... https://nesn.com/2020/09/bill-belichick-explains-how-jamal-adams-has-elevated-seahawks-defense/

I trust his opinion of Adams abilities. Sorry if I offended you on saying Jets fans don’t deserve. But I scratch my head sometimes with the talent the Jets do get and how they fumble frig it up due to #### coaching and front office. 

I've changed my stance on Adams. Clearly I've misunderstood him because I don't understand the business side of things. Poor Jamal.
Ok, I deserved that. It’s ok man, I’m just trying to point to the fact I think they have and have had talent. But doesn’t amount to much if front office and coach create a toxic culture. They should retain that talent they draft and flush front office down to coaching staff. 

I don’t disagree with everything you are saying. And I know you follow Jets closer than I do. But I don’t think the stupid comment is called for. People can disagree without you resorting to saying someone is stupid.

And here is a recent comment where Belichick describes Adams as a disruptive player. I can’t find it but a few years ago Belichick heaped Paris on Adams because he could read plays and be in a position by reading plays before the ball was snapped. And he showed different plays where Adams played well away from his assignment and broke up a screen play because he saw the alignment and evidently studied film and went off script. He directly compared him to Ed Reed. Wish I could find that show footage.

But here is what he said about him... https://nesn.com/2020/09/bill-belichick-explains-how-jamal-adams-has-elevated-seahawks-defense/

I trust his opinion of Adams abilities. Sorry if I offended you on saying Jets fans don’t deserve. But I scratch my head sometimes with the talent the Jets do get and how they fumble frig it up due to #### coaching and front office. 

Not calling YOU stupid. (apologies if it came off that way) Just saying I dont believe for a second that teams are making contract decisions based on whether an opposing coach "fears" a player. Belichek is the greatest coach of all time. He's spend 30+ years developing gameplans to neutralize or mitigate the impact of players far better (and more important) than Adams.

No doubt he respects Adams' abilities and knows he's a player you need to account for on gameday. And he should....because Adams IS a GREAT talent that makes a massive impact...relative to most at his position.

But it all goes back to what we said the day the drafted him...Adams could be the lovechild of Ed Reed and Ronnie Lott....but at the end of the day, he's still just a safety at a time when safety play (especially PHYSICAL safety play) just isn't of paramount importance. (As the rules don't allow them to be middle of the field enforcers like they could 15 years ago and totally disrupt the passing game)   And in a league with a hard cap (especially in the current climate, where the impact of COVID adds a fair bit of uncertainty to league finances going forward) you simply can't afford to spend money in the wrong places. IMO (and apparently the opinion of Joe Douglas) dropping 17Mil+ on a box safety (as opposed to someone like Reed, who was an all-time great ball-hawk)  was a bad idea.

The end result was they had to give up an incredible player at a bad time (right before the start of the season). Hopefully they find a way to build a decent defense next year now that they have an entire off-season (and hopefully the return of a healthy and motivated CJ Mosley) to make it happen.

In terms of wondering how in the world the Jets manage to be such a perennial cluster #### (in a league thats designed to promote parity and quick turnarounds from bad teams).....you're preaching to the choir brother.  We've been wondering the same thing for 10 years. (and beyond). Some of it is management incompetence. On other occasions, its just #### luck.

Users who are viewing this thread