What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (9 Viewers)

Sam has turned me back around into a total believer. He can potentially be the Jets best QB ever - which of course is a low bar.

Its fun to watch him develop and once they line gets shorn up and at least one true playmaker at receiver is added the sky is the limit.
Totally agree. IMO, Darnold's upside is Top 10 maybe even Top 5 ish if Douglass does what needs to be done and rebuilds the O-Line via the draft and UFA. 

Sam's ability to do his best work when he's out of the pocket despite this sieve of an O-Line he's playing behind gives me great confidence that when he does have a decent to good O-Line where he can comfortably stay in the pocket and not have to run for his life all the time, he'll morph into that Top 10 type level. And if that happens, no question the Jets would than be a playoff contender. Hopefully that will be as soon as next year.

Are you reading this Joe Douglass? Good...now get to work....lol

What a game yesterday - I actually got to leave at the end of the 3rd quarter while winning for once!!!

Gotta give Gase credit - Im still not a fan but he kept the team together and the offense is humming....he deserves another yr and to have a full season with a healthy Sam and competent OL....maybe he was sleazy in overthrowing Mac but he was probably horrified....and correct....at how MAc spent all that $ and high 1st rd pick.....I have no doubt that Douglas will use big time resources to rebuild the OL.  

Can you imagine Sam with a better OL....and a real #1 WR to throw to?  Put a surging Griffin and hopefully a healthy Herndon next yr with a real #1 WR to go with Crowder and that offense could be lethal....he has the it factor and you can just see the light going on.....he will hopefully be Mac's penance for so many brutal drafts/signings.   

The defense has been great - and considering all the injuries I give a lot of credit to G Will....praying bountygate stink stays on him so no team decides to poach as that would be a massive loss....if he stays and they get a healthy Mosely back next yr along with 1 more solid CB....that is going to be a top 5 defense. 

I hate to nitpick....and I know they have the top run D in the league which Q is helping "doing his job" - but this is seriously looking like Leo redux....1 assist tackle...no impact plays....seems like a rotation player....well at least the 3rd rd pick from the Giant is looking lock a top 5!  

And I'll end with this - all the good will and kudos go right out the window if they lose to Bengals or Miami at home....this team has shown they are better than those 2 also ran teams....a Bowles team would drop one if not both....it simply can not happen.  I'm fine losing to Balt and Buffalo....Pitt depends on the game....but at least beat Cincy and Miami!  

Yeah, obviously the competition has been bad (again, I dont think Oakland was quite as good as their record) but the offense has been awesome the the last few games.  As a selfish fantasy owner, I hate the treatment that Bell is getting.  It kinda seems like Gase is being petty and trying to pad Sam's stats to show how he "doesn't need" a high priced RB. (We know he didn't want Bell in the first place) I mean...Sam ran one in and then threw two 1 yard TD passes yesterday.  Was that really necessary?

They threw to Bell once inside the 5, but how about just letting him run the ball a couple of times? He's been getting beat up all season running into a brick wall....let the guy have a LITTLE glory, huh?

Totally agree on the Greg Williams front. They absolutely have to keep him. Pay the man whatever he wants. He's working miracles out there given the injuries.

Agree on the Q Williams point. I dont remember hearing his name called once yesterday.

Will be interesting to see how they spend the money this Spring. And for the love of God, can we MAYBE luck into a draft where we add 4 or 5 decent starters? Just ONCE?

Yeah, obviously the competition has been bad (again, I dont think Oakland was quite as good as their record) but the offense has been awesome the the last few games.  As a selfish fantasy owner, I hate the treatment that Bell is getting.  It kinda seems like Gase is being petty and trying to pad Sam's stats to show how he "doesn't need" a high priced RB. (We know he didn't want Bell in the first place) I mean...Sam ran one in and then threw two 1 yard TD passes yesterday.  Was that really necessary?

They threw to Bell once inside the 5, but how about just letting him run the ball a couple of times? He's been getting beat up all season running into a brick wall....let the guy have a LITTLE glory, huh?

Totally agree on the Greg Williams front. They absolutely have to keep him. Pay the man whatever he wants. He's working miracles out there given the injuries.

Agree on the Q Williams point. I dont remember hearing his name called once yesterday.

Will be interesting to see how they spend the money this Spring. And for the love of God, can we MAYBE luck into a draft where we add 4 or 5 decent starters? Just ONCE?
No offense, but I think you're reaching a bit here. I have Bell in a few leagues and I have been frustrated by his lack of usage, too. However, I seriously doubt that he would do that  to show that he doesn't need a high-priced RB. That's silly. If anything, he would do it to pad Darnold's stats to improve his confidence after the rough 3-game stretch. 

That said, I doubt either is the case. It's a throw-happy NFL these days. Yesterday with a chance to win, Carolina threw the ball on their last two series instead of giving it to CMC inside the five. It's just bad play-calling and It cost Carolina the game. Seattle losing the SB to NE for throwing the ball from the 1 was another example of coordinators thinking they are "too smart".

It really sucks that McCagnan's O-line neglect basically gives Gase a built in excuse for everything that went wrong this year.

Dont get me wrong....the team was screwed by injuries. I dont think there's a coach out there that would get this group to the playoffs. But yesterday (just like the Miami game) was a humiliation.

Ugh, so depressing, mostly because I'm a Levon fantasy owner. 

I know the organization despises the "same ol Jets" label - but what a Jet loss!  These types of losses go beyond this shaky coaching staff....Bowles had them all the time...Rex....and so on....its like they cant stand progress and always lay an egg to an inferior team 

It's like every single positive from the past 3 weeks was forgotten and wiped out in one swoop - 

- coaching was putrid - literally everyone but Gase knew not to run the ball into the middle of the Cincy D....I know its cliche to rip a coach for being clueless but seriously how could he not know this....Cicny had a putrid run D on the outside and decent up the gut....so every run was up the guy....WTF?!?  Literally mind boggling.  

- drops and penalties - drops are on the players..gotta make play....penalties were obscene  and that is on coaching at some point....

-OL - Sam was on the run and getting hit all day - any progress on the OL was long gone - awful performance.  

-defense - wasnt terrible but no impact plays and gave up a ton of 3rd downs

-Besides watching J Allen get more sacks....now we have to watch Ed Oliver rip it up for Buiff.....the final Mac present.  

-Post game pretty much called out Gase for not wanting to use Bell - they made him a top paid RB and run him 10 times vs the worse rush d in the league?  Completely expect Gase to find a way to dump Bell after the season....he clearly does not want him 

So season over - all momentum for the Balt game is dead....back to who cares for the rest of the season....hoping Sam continues to develop and avoids injury.....what a shame.  

Most fans I know can not stand him. He's a "look at me" and a "stir the pot for clicks" type which is not what a beat writer should be.

Aren't all beat writers pretty much like that now? I dont follow beat writers for other teams, but I'm guessing the slow, painful death of traditional media has put a ton of pressure on these guys to just draw as many clicks as possible.

Cimini is the same way, just with more snarky dooshiness.  Dude thinks he is SOOOOOO clever with his little one line zingers at the end of each article/tweet.  I just want to hit him in the face with a pie.

Aren't all beat writers pretty much like that now? I dont follow beat writers for other teams, but I'm guessing the slow, painful death of traditional media has put a ton of pressure on these guys to just draw as many clicks as possible
I follow a bunch on twitter and it seems like most just give news from their team - they don't interject themselves into the story. However your general point about the industry is valid.

Mehta is awful - he gets on these agendas - pretty much ran Marone and McCarthy out as HC candidates....and now he is all over Gase....hope hes as successful!  

What an awful game. Clueless Christopher tried to exemplify leadership by coming out a few weeks ago and saying that Gase was safe. Moron. How does he walk that back at the end of the season? He probably doesn't.

The team came out flat and that's on Gase. The only thing that matters this season is the development of Darnold.  Does anyone outside of Darnold and Chris Johnson believe that Gase is the right man for this?

Listen to BB (Patriots) talk about attacking teams at their weakness makes last yesterday even more infuriating.  Teams are running left and right against Cincy and we barely run the ball and each time at the best part of Cinn's defense? inexcusable.

Also, not utilizing Bell's receiving skills (that drop aside) is also inexcusable. We all saw what Bell could do at the start of the season, but now he's an aforethought? Come on. This also falls on Darnold. I see Bell open often, but Darnold flings it down the field most of the time on 50-50 balls.  Offensive "guru" Gase has to make Darnold aware of this...unless he's giving Darnold free reign to take all these shots down field.

As we've been saying all year, this o-line is atrocious. Complete garbage yesterday and all season long.

All these draft picks on defense and we still can't get any pressure. Unreal.

This loss took away any goodwill they built up over the past 3 weeks. The loss doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but it's the team's approach to this game that was a huge disappointment.  The announcers talked at halftime about Gase having to make adjustments. I literally laughed out loud with the most cynicism.  Yeah right.

Chris and Woody can go to hell. They won't fix anything. Nothing ever changes for this franchise. It starts at the top. 

It's a shame that darnold isn't a year or 2 further along in his development. Just wish he had the stones/cache to basically force Gase's hand and get bell more involved.

They have a terrible line but the entire game plans is runs through the A-Gap and then deep downfield passes. It's like an 8 year old playing Madden.

And we get to deal with it for another year. Even if they upgrade the oline and things work better next year, we'll all know deep down that there's an idiot at the helm just waiting to rip a collosal brain fart and cost them a big game with a stupid decision

I also found it hard to believe that Bell wasn't more around, and I could give a squirt about Bell.

I also can't muster up any lather of hatred or disgust with this team because I've already rinsed and repeated with it.

We have a complete rebuild to do around five players or so on the offensive side of the ball and a few on defense. I don't see how any of us are forgetting that. If we're six-ten, I'd consider that about right, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the 3 game win streak I got a bit soft on Gase - even thinking he deserved another yr based on the obvious extenuating circumstances....but the more I think about this last week the more it is unacceptable....getting demolished by am 0-11 team is bad....coming out flat is bad.....the coaching and refusal to adjust as well as admit any issues is terminable.....literally everyone...and I mean everyone sees the huge whiff in the gameplan/playcalling execept Gase......refusing to run a $13M player vs the worst rush defense in the league and then when he does he runs it up the gut....the only solid part of the defense....and on top of it..this is another game where the O-Line as awful and Gase doesnt call any screens, slants or other quick release plays....same thing as NE....just drop Sam back and let him get crushed or run for his life....then even after reviewing the tape he doubles down on the gameplan?  absolutely moronic....so moronic that anyone can see it....except Chris Johnson....what a disaster.  

simey said:
How do you all expect the defense to do against the run without Adams?
I think he's viewed by most as the most important and best part of the Jets, which should tell you that it's a huge injury in both coverage and in the run game, and also tell you that if a safety is your best defensive player, you have another problem inherent in the system.

But it's not a good thing, no.

Here's the latest or greatest:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/02/jets-could-be-without-injured-jamal-adams-for-weeks/

Adams definitely helped vs the run - but the DL has been the main catalyst....Id say it goes down a notch but still should be pretty stout.  
Thanks. Right now I have the Jets and Patriots to chose from in week 14. My league D gets points and yards against. The Jets have been great at holding back rushing yards so far, although Adams just got hurt. I know Fitzpatrick will put up passing yards on them and points. The Pats matchup is iffy with KC. The Colts, Bucs, Seahawks, and Falcons are available, but I doubt I will pick any of those up. Right now I am going with the Jets. 😟  * I was just reading that Poole is in the concussion protocol.

Kiddnets said:
After the 3 game win streak I got a bit soft on Gase - even thinking he deserved another yr based on the obvious extenuating circumstances....but the more I think about this last week the more it is unacceptable....getting demolished by am 0-11 team is bad....coming out flat is bad.....the coaching and refusal to adjust as well as admit any issues is terminable.....literally everyone...and I mean everyone sees the huge whiff in the gameplan/playcalling execept Gase......refusing to run a $13M player vs the worst rush defense in the league and then when he does he runs it up the gut....the only solid part of the defense....and on top of it..this is another game where the O-Line as awful and Gase doesnt call any screens, slants or other quick release plays....same thing as NE....just drop Sam back and let him get crushed or run for his life....then even after reviewing the tape he doubles down on the gameplan?  absolutely moronic....so moronic that anyone can see it....except Chris Johnson....what a disaster.  
His explanation for not running more ("the game did not dictate it...") was about as moronic a statement as a coach can make. Hey, Adam why don't you dictate how your offense is going to attack the defense?

Hey, the Jets finally ran the ball....without Bell in the game. Hmm
One wonders, doesn't one? 

Powell wound up hurt. Probably not a long-term solution to the problem, Adam. 

The long-term solution doesn't fit your system and is already drawing on your payroll, Gasey. Figure it out. 

Mystery Achiever said:
With Bell out, did Montgomery finally get playing time?
Yes - Powell and Montgomery combined for 30 carries by far the most the Jets have had all season. Montgomery also caught a few passes.

Carrying Fickens off on the team's shoulders after earning your 5th win by narrowly defeating a team that tried to go 0-16 was a little much for me I have to admit. 

Carrying Fickens off on the team's shoulders after earning your 5th win by narrowly defeating a team that tried to go 0-16 was a little much for me I have to admit. 
That looked like a bad idea two other people shared, Ficken not among them. 

Really, really bad idea. Especially when he'd missed an extra point earlier, no less.  

And, in retrospect, it may be argued that overall, we're actually worse than Miami if you're forced to consider depth at QB like the Jets were.    

In the part of the season where losing doesnt bother me but would rather win to get Sam some confidence.   Ugly game and win but those count and I'd rther the kid get used to pulling those out rather than losing them.  Sam played ok - not great but good enough.  He looked confident on the last drive and that was good enough for me...

So Gase revealed his true form yesterday - besides being a questionable head coach as to game prep, adjustments, leaderships, playcalling, etc....he is shown as being petty.  There is no way you can tell me that wasnt a message he sent yesterday to Bell, Douglas, Johnson, etc that he wanted and wants no part of Bell.  He finally unleashes the run and decent run playcalling and its for when Bell is out?  That is way too coincidental....he's trying to prove he can win without Bell and he was right over MAc....well guess what Gase, Mac is gone and devaluing a major asset is not going to help at all.....if you really dont want Bell then feature him the rest of the year so someone bites on a deal....no one is going to touch that contract the way Gase has played this out..so this marriage is going to continue and get ugly for next yr.....

Kudos to G Will - defense on life suporrt with injuries is playing excellent - he is the one saving grace to this Gase debacle....if he leaves in anyway the low bottom would fall out....can't wait to see him next year with a healthy Mosely at LB flying around.  

Something is wrong between the FO/player/and medical side of things on that one, too, one surmises.  
The guy never missed a gme with Balt...puts on Jets green and cant mke it through one game.....it ws a strange injury that seemed to take a long time to diagnose....if he has a relapse then im with you....Im willing to write it off as a fluke at this point.  

Ficken's line for the year

14-19, for 73% or so. 

He's a 63% kicker for his career. This is just putrid.  
I was mildly surprised that they didn't try to claim McLaughlin. I think 4-5 teams put in a claim and Indy got him.  He's been iffy in the 40 -49 yard range, but perfect from 50+ and PATS.

In the part of the season where losing doesnt bother me but would rather win to get Sam some confidence.   Ugly game and win but those count and I'd rther the kid get used to pulling those out rather than losing them.  Sam played ok - not great but good enough.  He looked confident on the last drive and that was good enough for me...

So Gase revealed his true form yesterday - besides being a questionable head coach as to game prep, adjustments, leaderships, playcalling, etc....he is shown as being petty.  There is no way you can tell me that wasnt a message he sent yesterday to Bell, Douglas, Johnson, etc that he wanted and wants no part of Bell.  He finally unleashes the run and decent run playcalling and its for when Bell is out?  That is way too coincidental....he's trying to prove he can win without Bell and he was right over MAc....well guess what Gase, Mac is gone and devaluing a major asset is not going to help at all.....if you really dont want Bell then feature him the rest of the year so someone bites on a deal....no one is going to touch that contract the way Gase has played this out..so this marriage is going to continue and get ugly for next yr.....

Kudos to G Will - defense on life suporrt with injuries is playing excellent - he is the one saving grace to this Gase debacle....if he leaves in anyway the low bottom would fall out....can't wait to see him next year with a healthy Mosely at LB flying around.  
I really thought it was an absurd idea that someone else mentioned last week, but maybe I was wrong to believe that a Gase could be rational about this.  Yesterday's game made me believe that maybe Gase really is that petty. The whole time I just thought that he was that stupid.

I really thought it was an absurd idea that someone else mentioned last week, but maybe I was wrong to believe that a Gase could be rational about this.  Yesterday's game made me believe that maybe Gase really is that petty. The whole time I just thought that he was that stupid.
The amount of hubris, idiocy, and lack of complacency it takes to publicly blast your highest-paid signing from the previous regime when he hasn't played a down yet or reported anywhere mandatory yet is just so baffling that Occam's razor immediately tips it to petty, childish, and not unlike a tantrum.  

I was mildly surprised that they didn't try to claim McLaughlin. I think 4-5 teams put in a claim and Indy got him.  He's been iffy in the 40 -49 yard range, but perfect from 50+ and PATS.
I was mildly surprised that the GCOAT Belichick had nobody back to field a punt with 10:30 left in the Kansas City game, but that's just me. He gave away twenty yards on the kick. I say that because my true belief is that...

They fundamentally -- at heart, even the best -- just sometimes do not get special teams. They brain cramp. Or they're unaware of how they work. 

Yeah, pretty clear what Gase was doing yesterday. 

Don't get me wrong...bell has not looked good this year and maybe Powell's quicker hit the whole style is a better fit for a bad o line.   But I absolutely believe that Gase has been sabotaging him by running him into a brick wall over and over the past 12 games. He's not above that

The Bell Bowling fiasco really doesnt bother me....guy wasnt at a club throwing back booze....he was bowling with family members after he was ruled out of the game and told to stay away from the team....Gase may try to use this to pain Lev as a bad guy in his quest to deal him but Im not buying it.  

Let's see him get 20+ touches the last few weeks....either they increase his value for a deal or have him much happier and in the zone for next season.....win/win....another 10 carry game would be just more proof of Gase's pettiness.  

No Adams, Q Williams, Griffin, D Thomas, and Powell  on top of all the prior injuries. This one is going to get ugly in a hurry.

FWIW, a guy I know who’s an Uber driver is saying he just took a Jet from the team hotel to a stripe club. He won’t say who though 

FWIW, a guy I know who’s an Uber driver is saying he just took a Jet from the team hotel to a stripe club. He won’t say who though 
Probably Gase

I go to Baltimore every year for a music fest.  Those strip clubs over there look kind of shady and some are in not so friendly areas.  Even if they were out all night, it probably wouldn't impact tonight's results.

Jets homers, any reason NOT to start Bell tonight in a PPR league? Any chance he's punished for going bowling last weekend?? 

Jets homers, any reason NOT to start Bell tonight in a PPR league? Any chance he's punished for going bowling last weekend?? 
I don’t think he’d be punished for that but he could be “punished” by Gase’s play calling. I think he could end up having a decent game with Powell, Griffin and D Thomas out. They need to lean on him to have any chance of moving the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread