What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss Job leads/resumes/CV/Job Locating elsewhere in here? (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
Any and all help is appreciated. 

If I remember correctly last time resumes were discussed many on here said don't worry about a cover letter unless it was requested. I thought it was mandatory but after a second look at the application, it is not. Should I even worry about it? What websites do you recommend using? I'm looking at applying for a job in NZ for a library posiiton but don't have a work vista yet.  How is applying for jobs in the US different than internationally? 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're applying online, and there is a CV section to upload a document I would definitely include one. It's always better to have one than to not have one.

As far as websites go, Indeed and LinkedIn job search are the best in my opinion. Also, if you have a specific company in mind I'd always recommend going through their website than anything 3rd party as they'll likely get your application faster that way. Good luck!

Oh, and your resume should NEVER, EVER be more than 1 page. There are always things you can cut out or make shorter. Make the font a little smaller, the spaces between lines a little narrower, anything to get it back to 1 PAGE

Oh, and your resume should NEVER, EVER be more than 1 page. There are always things you can cut out or make shorter. Make the font a little smaller, the spaces between lines a little narrower, anything to get it back to 1 PAGE
Do you include your GPA and volunteer experience on your resume?

Huge generalization here. Totally depends on the field
Hiring guy here.  For every ten 1 page resumes I grant an interview I'll interview one 2 page person.  If you go to 3 I pitch it right in the trash.  The resume is the lure to get the interview, not a replacement for it.  Last 3 relevant positions are all I need.  If you include anymore you come off as noncommittal or a bad employee who gets laid off a lot.  

Do you include your GPA and volunteer experience on your resume?
Volunteer experience absolutely, towards the bottom with your activities, interests, etc. I don't think GPA is that important, especially the further removed you are from school. However, definitely list any accomplishments you earned while in school - Dean's List, Summa Cum Laude, etc.

Hiring guy here.  For every ten 1 page resumes I grant an interview I'll interview one 2 page person.  If you go to 3 I pitch it right in the trash.  The resume is the lure to get the interview, not a replacement for it.  Last 3 relevant positions are all I need.  If you include anymore you come off as noncommittal or a bad employee who gets laid off a lot.  
Interesting on the % of 1 pagers vs 2, and especially the relevant positions part. Since I'll be starting one very soon this is great info. 

I always thought you wanted to show a continuous work history from the time you graduated/started working, and I've trimmed down the first job to just a few bullet points. If I cut that out and rework a few things I think I can hit 1 page.

If you don't mind me asking can you tell me the field you are hiring in?

Interesting on the % of 1 pagers vs 2, and especially the relevant positions part. Since I'll be starting one very soon this is great info. 

I always thought you wanted to show a continuous work history from the time you graduated/started working, and I've trimmed down the first job to just a few bullet points. If I cut that out and rework a few things I think I can hit 1 page.

If you don't mind me asking can you tell me the field you are hiring in?
I've worked in entertainment production, architecture and now luxury good manufacturing.  When I place an ad, I get anywhere from 100 to 1500 resumes.  The ability to convey complicated ideas and a lot of background in a tight summary will get you an interview with me if your background is right.  You would be surprised how many people can't edit themselves.  

I had my resume reviewed by a professional resume writer and job placement expert and its 2 pages. I never heard of this one page rule before.

I hire a lot in electronics manufacturing and 1 page with bullet points is what I'm looking for as well. 2 pages at most. Those that send in 3 or more, well I quit reading after page 1 anyways. Tailor the resume for the experience and skills that apply to the position you are seeking.

I’ve hired over 200 engineers in the past 17 years. The “one page” thing is past history. I actually prefer more info than less, but there’s limits. I think 2 pages is ideal, but I don’t judge based on length. Content is what’s important.

I’ve hired over 200 engineers in the past 17 years. The “one page” thing is past history. I actually prefer more info than less, but there’s limits. I think 2 pages is ideal, but I don’t judge based on length. Content is what’s important.
Yeah one page rule sounds like something a college career advisor would tell you

Totally depends on the field.  Mine is a page.  I work in programming/ app development.

My wife works for the government.  Their resumes are like 10 pages +.  They want as much content as possible.   :loco:

If you’re early in your career, yes. Otherise, this isn’t true. Varies career to career 

Last edited by a moderator:
As the resident FBG professional resume writer (for the past 26 years), this is 100% NOT ACCURATE.
:goodposting:  

This guy did my CV. 2 pages. Just went through a 3rd round of interviews with multiple compliments on the CV as “very polished”, “excellent” and “very thorough”. 

NOW you tell me.

Signed,

Just switched to two pages with this latest round of job searching and not hearing back from jobs that seem like they'd be a perfect match... guy.

As the resident FBG professional resume writer (for the past 26 years), this is 100% NOT ACCURATE.
Very respectfully disagree. I work for a contract firm and we send resumes out routinely. List your qualifications on the page and add two line sentence at the top for profile, list all key skills (this is a vast majority), experience (keep it sort and sweet). a few lines each), then last Education and training (list all degrees or certs you have with graduation dates).  

I was out of work last Oct, after spending 17 years at one place. I got a job within two weeks of looking with this format posted on Monster.com.

Also make all your social media private. If I happen to slog through all three pages of your resume I’m going to browse your Instagram before I bring you in. 

If you have less than 10 years sure but, for some of us older guys two is fine.

What are you hiring for?  The last two I hired started with 200K salary plus bonus.  I honestly don’t think I saw a single one page resume.  I think this is very job dependent.

What are you hiring for?  The last two I hired started with 200K salary plus bonus.  I honestly don’t think I saw a single one page resume.  I think this is very job dependent.
he was in the architecture and interiors world where we employees are making four, sometimes even FIVE digits. basically a pulse and working mouse hand plus a scarf or two is typically all he needed to see.

You can swing your #### in here all you want, but I'm telling you the majority of hiring managers would much rather go over a 1 page resume than have to flip pages. What does it matter if you're 50+ years old? Your job out of college probably isn't that relevant anymore, or any job the first 10-15 years of your career if that was 20+ years ago. It really isn't job dependent, at least IMO. You can put plenty of information on 1 page. Leave the paragraphs for the CV.

Anyone with specific questions can send my a PM. Last time I counted, I had written over 15,000 resumes . . .
How much do services like yours generally run a person?  I'm not looking currently but could be in the next year or so (companies merging).  I know for a fact that my resume is super weak.  I interview like a champ but I've specifically been told by the last two people that hired me that my resume sucked so bad I almost didn't get the interview.

Anyone with specific questions can send my a PM. Last time I counted, I had written over 15,000 resumes . . .
I think this might be useful, so I'll ask here...

cover letter- separate file? separate page on resume, but part of same file? or just within the body of the email sent to employer/HR?

Re 1 v multiple page resumes.

I haven't hired as many people as some here. Over the last 30+ years, around 2 dozen.

Multiple pages never bothered me and now it just doesn't matter as it's just a matter of scrolling the screen.

What's important to me is a good summary, relevant information and easy to read formatting. If it's difficult to read or the info doesn't somehow compel me to read further, then I won't, regardless of the length.

You can swing your #### in here all you want, but I'm telling you the majority of hiring managers would much rather go over a 1 page resume than have to flip pages. What does it matter if you're 50+ years old? Your job out of college probably isn't that relevant anymore, or any job the first 10-15 years of your career if that was 20+ years ago. It really isn't job dependent, at least IMO. You can put plenty of information on 1 page. Leave the paragraphs for the CV.
What do you do for a living... experience level? Not talking smack, just asking as you seem to be speaking as someone who works in employment (recruiter/HR)? 

Users who are viewing this thread