What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#TwitterLockout (1 Viewer)

Apparently Twitter locked thousands of Russian bot accounts last night.  

Taking the total sanctions against Russia to:

Twitter: 1

Trump: 0
There was a complete freak out on the right and it is still going on with the claim that Twitter had targeted conservatives to silence them. People crying that thousands of followers had been taken from them, when in reality it was bots who were fake followers. And of course, James O'Keefe is right on top of it:

James O'Keefe‏ @JamesOKeefeIII 46m46 minutes ago

Looks like thousands of Twitter users committed the thought crime of tweeting about "God," "the American flag," and "guns," and were taken off the platform. Our undercover reporting into Twitter showed those terms indicate to engineers you are "for sure a bot." #TwitterLockOut

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/966319571350310912

Some other choice comments:

Dan Bongino‏ @dbongino 2h2 hours ago

That twitter attack on conservatives hit me too last night. I was deemed “ineligible” to use twitter ads and had followers purged. @twitter should ashamed, we have to organize a response. #TwitterLockOut

Jake Highwell‏ @JakeHighwell 2h2 hours ago

This was not just a bot purge! There are a couple of other things at play here. By forcing you to register with a telephone number they have your true identity. A lot of people operate under aliases to protect themselves from vile and dangerous leftists. #TwitterLockOut

While others found it amusing: :D

Hal Sparks‏Verified account @HalSparks 2h2 hours ago

Conservatives are claiming they are being blocked and censored by the #TwitterLockOut..

You know how I know? they are TWEETING about it.

Devin Duke‏ @sirDukeDevin 28m28 minutes ago

My kids would have a fit too if they lost their imaginary friends.

I'm okay with the suggestions that those upset with losing followers leave twitter en masse to jump on over to that other platform as a boycott. It'll be great to gather the dupes all in one place and serves to minimize the effects of the next generation of bots.

squistion said:
There was a complete freak out on the right and it is still going on with the claim that Twitter had targeted conservatives to silence them. People crying that thousands of followers had been taken from them, when in reality it was bots who were fake followers. And of course, James O'Keefe is right on top of it:

James O'Keefe‏ @JamesOKeefeIII 46m46 minutes ago

Looks like thousands of Twitter users committed the thought crime of tweeting about "God," "the American flag," and "guns," and were taken off the platform. Our undercover reporting into Twitter showed those terms indicate to engineers you are "for sure a bot." #TwitterLockOut

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/966319571350310912

Some other choice comments:

That twitter attack on conservatives hit me too last night. I was deemed “ineligible” to use twitter ads and had followers purged. @twitter should ashamed, we have to organize a response. #TwitterLockOut

Jake Highwell‏ @JakeHighwell 2h2 hours ago

This was not just a bot purge! There are a couple of other things at play here. By forcing you to register with a telephone number they have your true identity. A lot of people operate under aliases to protect themselves from vile and dangerous leftists. #TwitterLockOut

While others found it amusing: :D

Hal Sparks‏Verified account @HalSparks 2h2 hours ago

Conservatives are claiming they are being blocked and censored by the #TwitterLockOut..

You know how I know? they are TWEETING about it.

Devin Duke‏ @sirDukeDevin 28m28 minutes ago

My kids would have a fit too if they lost their imaginary friends.
nerds

squistion said:

More than a few people here have tried to use Dan Oingoboingo as a "source".

squistion said:

:lmao:

OH NOES! Whatever will the world do without your moronic tweets??? What an idiot.

I'm hopeful that a #socialmediareckoning is coming.  I heard that Medium upped its standards and let go a number of folks who were regular contributors since they didn't measure up to the new standards, presumably.

Most large Twitter followings have a large percentage of fakes. Every time Twitter does a clean up people lose thousands and thousands of followers. 

When Twitter first became a thing, I heard about it and incorrectly assumed it was a push technology.  I signed up for an account with the sole purpose of soliciting adult relations with my wife.  When I figured out I didn't understand how it worked I abandoned the account and it has sat out there for years with 0 Tweets having been posted.  A couple of years back I logged in to it just for kicks and realized I had a follower!  I looked and the follower I had was a family friend who was/is a pastor.  Thankfully I had not posted that tweet, although in hindsight I may have been able to acquire a Russian bride/bot by now if I had kept it and been tweeting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread