What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disc golf bigger than ball golf in five or ten years? (1 Viewer)

Are you drunk? 

The PGA has donated over $2.5B (with a B!) to charity since 1938. Last year four tournaments donated over $10M each. 

The growth of courses has been phenomenal but the articles premise that DG will be bigger than ball golf because there are more courses is ludicrous.

I have been an avid player for 20+ years and wish we would comfortably accept that the sport sells it self to people who are interested and there is no need to push it down peoples throats. Sometimes bigger isn't better and I miss the old school vibe and not dealing with a bunch of idiots on the course.

The growth of courses has been phenomenal but the articles premise that DG will be bigger than ball golf because there are more courses is ludicrous.

I have been an avid player for 20+ years and wish we would comfortably accept that the sport sells it self to people who are interested and there is no need to push it down peoples throats. Sometimes bigger isn't better and I miss the old school vibe and not dealing with a bunch of idiots on the course.
Idiots on disc golf or regular?   If disc golf becomes popular enough to take the ball golfers who shouldn't be out there, I'm all for it

JuniorGong said:
I’ve never seen a disc golf course, What is it exactly...dudes tossing frisbees into trash cans?
That's a great aspect IMO.  I've accidently ran past many disc golf courses that you wouldn't know we're there unless you were looking for them or happened to notice the weird pole with chains and a basket. You can put a disc golf course almost anywhere.

Disney World is testing 'foot golf' on one of their courses. it's basically a soccer and golf love child over a 9-hole existing course. I guess not as many people are bringing their clubs down with them anymore. 

If we are talking player base, maybe in 10+ years I could see it. Real estate is expensive, and ball golf is expensive. Disc golf is cheap and accessible.

Old school golfers might laugh at the notion, but times change.

I just looked up the number of golfers in the US, and admittedly I underestimated. The number I saw was ~23 million. Compared to ~2 million active disc golfers.

It might happen, but 10 years would be extremely quick at those starting numbers.

What is the disc golf Masters equivalent?
Probably the USDGC - United States Disc Golf Championship.  It is sponsored by Innova and is hosted on the same course each year in Rock Hill SC.

A far cry from Augusta but still a huge event for the disc golf crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt that as more states legalize marijuana the popularity of disc golf will increase, but it will never surpass golf.  

If we are talking player base, maybe in 10+ years I could see it. Real estate is expensive, and ball golf is expensive. Disc golf is cheap and accessible.

Old school golfers might laugh at the notion, but times change.
I played several times in a park in Dayton, OH, I looked up disc golf courses there but nothing seemed familiar.  We would get stoned - have some beers (but somewhat discreet with them - it was a public park).  We only had our regular heavy "tournament model" frisbees (the black, longer flight ones).  One frisbee per guy.  

We had heard about guys having multiple sized frisbees and special backpacks to carry them ...even stoned, we thought was pretty ridiculous.   It was pretty fun - I remember getting a really sore shoulder the next day or two though.  I have enough shoulder issues as it is already these days.  

I believe it

I don't understand why anyone plays golf.  It's like at some point a bunch of rich guys got together and said 'let's create a game so boring that only rich white guys like ourselves will play it'

there has been two disc golf course in our town for like 30 years (4 total now).  If anything interest is on the decline, hardly anyone out there most of the time now days.

Yeah. Please don't become the next version of Crossfit. 

You do it, great.  The rest of us don't know. And don't care. Not in a bad way... until you feel like the rest of us have to know. 

Are there sand traps and water hazards in disc golf?   Not schtick
mostly just trees and depending on the course and time of year, mud traps, which are always fun.   (how bad to you want that disc back)

One course is along the river here so I suppose that would be a water hazard.

No way. This isn't happening in the next decade. In my mind I would say ever. The problem is, disc golf kind of sucks.

I believe it

I don't understand why anyone plays golf.  It's like at some point a bunch of rich guys got together and said 'let's create a game so boring that only rich white guys like ourselves will play it'

"Golf is a game that provides the space and time a gentleman requires to separate one's self from the poor and slothful." - Thomas Jefferson

there has been two disc golf course in our town for like 30 years (4 total now).  If anything interest is on the decline, hardly anyone out there most of the time now days.
Maybe in your town, but in a broad sense that is totally not the case.

I don't understand why anyone plays disc golf.  It's like at some point a bunch of stoners got together and said 'let's create a game that we can get high and wander around throwing frisbees so only guys like ourselves will play it'
Have you played?

It's fun. It's relaxing. You can play a round in an hour and a half. It takes skill. You can drink beer. You are out in nature. You can take your kids.

Traditional golf has literally zero advantages except for the history. Swinging a golf club at a little ball is no more "fun" to someone that hasn't done it than throwing a disc is to someone who hasn't thrown one. If anything, a total noob can relate way better to throwing a "frisbee".

Have you played?

It's fun. It's relaxing. You can play a round in an hour and a half. It takes skill. You can drink beer. You are out in nature. You can take your kids.

Traditional golf has literally zero advantages except for the history. Swinging a golf club at a little ball is no more "fun" to someone that hasn't done it than throwing a disc is to someone who hasn't thrown one. If anything, a total noob can relate way better to throwing a "frisbee".
Yeah, I used to play it in college when I smoked a lot of pot.

Golf takes a hell of a lot more skill and the social/business aspect can't be discounted.  I'm not going to invite a business associate to rip a few bong loads and wander around a poorly maintained course.   

Yeah, I used to play it in college when I smoked a lot of pot.

Golf takes a hell of a lot more skill and the social/business aspect can't be discounted.  I'm not going to invite a business associate to rip a few bong loads and wander around a poorly maintained course.   
Fair enough on the business aspect. For now. But in my opinion even that is changing. Professional interactions are shifting and the new generation of professionals is not necessarily going to follow in the previous footsteps.

Something like Topgolf where the focus is drinks and messing around will be the norm over a round at the course.

And not everyone who plays disc golf nowadays is a stoner.

Fair enough on the business aspect. For now. But in my opinion even that is changing. Professional interactions are shifting and the new generation of professionals is not necessarily going to follow in the previous footsteps.

Something like Topgolf where the focus is drinks and messing around will be the norm over a round at the course.

And not everyone who plays disc golf nowadays is a stoner.
My original response was to killface's overgeneralization:   " I don't understand why anyone plays golf.  It's like at some point a bunch of rich guys got together and said 'let's create a game so boring that only rich white guys like ourselves will play it'

Disc golf is cheap and accessible.   That's great.   That doesn't make it more difficult than golf or any more enjoyable.   Women almost don't play it at all (just looked it up..the PDGA shows that 7% or so of disc golf players are women).   Women make up about 23% of golfers.   Off-course golf, like Topgolf, is reportedly 35% women.

There is simply no way that it is even possible for disc golf to surpass regular golf.   

I parked at a disc golf course on a college campus two weeks ago to go to my daughter's volleyball tournament.  you could smell the weed in every direction.

My original response was to killface's overgeneralization:   " I don't understand why anyone plays golf.  It's like at some point a bunch of rich guys got together and said 'let's create a game so boring that only rich white guys like ourselves will play it'

Disc golf is cheap and accessible.   That's great.   That doesn't make it more difficult than golf or any more enjoyable.   Women almost don't play it at all (just looked it up..the PDGA shows that 7% or so of disc golf players are women).   Women make up about 23% of golfers.   Off-course golf, like Topgolf, is reportedly 35% women.

There is simply no way that it is even possible for disc golf to surpass regular golf.   

I parked at a disc golf course on a college campus two weeks ago to go to my daughter's volleyball tournament.  you could smell the weed in every direction.

And i'm making an overgeneralization?

People used to say this about ultimate frisbee and now it's everywhere

I used to play a crapton of DG but not so much these days.

1. It will probably never overtake regular golf in terms of popularity.

2. I also play regular golf and enjoy both.  Comparing the two is pointless.  Play what you like.

hey, wtf??  I didn't start a new thread ...maybe I should.  But wtf happened to google search in the last couple of days???  

- all my searches go almost exclusively something for sale

- when I go to the image, I can no longer just get the image ...it's either share or go to site. I can no longer have an option to click just "image"

I bring this up because I wanted to find an image of a ####ty looking golfer in a wife beater t-shirt ...what did I get???  shopping ####.  no general pics.  

Does anyone know what the hell happened??

hey, wtf??  I didn't start a new thread ...maybe I should.  But wtf happened to google search in the last couple of days???  

- all my searches go almost exclusively something for sale

- when I go to the image, I can no longer just get the image ...it's either share or go to site. I can no longer have an option to click just "image"

I bring this up because I wanted to find an image of a ####ty looking golfer in a wife beater t-shirt ...what did I get???  shopping ####.  no general pics.  

Does anyone know what the hell happened??
Getty got upset with Google. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/2/15/17017864/google-removes-view-image-button-from-search-results

The smell of marijuana at a disc golf course on a college campus? What is this world coming to?

Users who are viewing this thread