Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
squistion

Boycott the NRA? Hashtag #BoycottNRA getting results

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

They did for Amazon HQ2 so I am sure they would for Delta if they said they were relocating out of Atlanta

Delta moving to the Burgh might even be a positive influence for Amazon's choice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I have no clue what you are talking about but I’m pretty sure it’s wrong.

Some people continue to suckle at Ayn Rand's teats.  

21 minutes ago, the rover said:

Some people continue to suckle at Ayn Rand's teats.  

:X

Cross-posted to the gun control thread:

We at DICK’S Sporting Goods are deeply disturbed and saddened by the tragic events in Parkland. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of the victims and their loved ones.

But thoughts and prayers are not enough.

We have tremendous respect and admiration for the students organizing and making their voices heard regarding gun violence in schools and elsewhere in our country.

We have heard you. The nation has heard you.

We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens. But we have to help solve the problem that’s in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that’s taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America – our kids.

Following all of the rules and laws, we sold a shotgun to the Parkland shooter in November of 2017. It was not the gun, nor type of gun, he used in the shooting. But it could have been.

Clearly this indicates on so many levels that the systems in place are not effective to protect our kids and our citizens.

We believe it’s time to do something about it.

Beginning today, DICK’S Sporting Goods is committed to the following:

We will no longer sell assault-style rifles, also referred to as modern sporting rifles. We had already removed them from all DICK’S stores after the Sandy Hook massacre, but we will now remove them from sale at all 35 Field & Stream stores.

We will no longer sell firearms to anyone under 21 years of age.

We will no longer sell high capacity magazines.

We never have and never will sell bump stocks that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly.

At the same time, we implore our elected officials to enact common sense gun reform and pass the following regulations:

Ban assault-style firearms

Raise the minimum age to purchase firearms to 21

Ban high capacity magazines and bump stocks

Require universal background checks that include relevant mental health information and previous interactions with the law

Ensure a complete universal database of those banned from buying firearms

Close the private sale and gun show loophole that waives the necessity of background checks

We hope others join us in this effort to let our kids know that their pleas are being taken seriously.

Some will say these steps can’t guarantee tragedies like Parkland will never happen again. They may be correct – but if common sense reform is enacted and even one life is saved, it will have been worth it.

We deeply believe that this country’s most precious gift is our children. They are our future. We must keep them safe.

Sincerely,

Edward W. Stack
Chairman & CEO
DICK’S Sporting Goods

• Like 13

On 2/26/2018 at 8:50 AM, timschochet said:

One of my major criticisms of Bernie Sanders and his supporters within the progressive movement has been their consistent demonization of corporations. I pointed this out in 2016 while defending Hillary’s corporate ties- around here at least, squistion, tommyGunZ and myself were the only ones willing to challenge this line of attack. 

So I’d just like to point out that it has been corporations who have forced progressive change in this country again and again: for gay marriage, climate change, transgender issues, and now for gun control- the list goes on and on. Each time one of these issues has reached a critical point corporate America has stepped up to the plate and done the right thing. Maybe they’re not so bad after all? 

Looks like another Corporation in ##### Sporting Goods once again showed progressive change, made real progress unlike politicians. So where are all the corporate America bashers at?

1 minute ago, dschuler said:

Looks like another Corporation in ##### Sporting Goods once again showed progressive change, made real progress unlike politicians. So where are all the corporate America bashers at?

:hey:

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gr00vus said:

:hi:

Have you changed your opinion knowing they gave up revenue and profits for societal change?  They accomplished more in one day than Bernie Sanders has in 76 years on gun control, are they still evil?

1 hour ago, the rover said:

Will the NRA boycott Dick's Sporting Goods?

Private action where the government won't act.  Good for them.  

Gutsy move, but great to see a company actually step up and do something and put our children ahead of the NRA. I'm sure the NRA will try to get gun nuts to boycott them. Hopefully, more people support them because of this and the business doesn't feel the effects of daring to stand up to that sickening lobbyist group.

Edited by JuniorNB

Have you changed your opinion knowing they gave up revenue and profits for societal change?  They accomplished more in one day than Bernie Sanders has in 76 years on gun control, are they still evil?

They're less evil than they were yesterday. But still evil. I felt really bad buying some baseball gear for my son there a few weeks back. Now I feel slightly less bad.

Somehow I feel like there's a connection here between that blanket statement, over generalization of conservatives idea Joe was making in that other thread, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

6 minutes ago, dschuler said:

I'm four episodes into Dirty Money right now.  Not surprisingly, this gesture (which I have no doubt was thoroughly vetted with a detailed comparison of costs and benefits before it was made) doesn't exactly overcome all that.

The people who deserve credit here are the activists.  They're the ones that made it a good business decision for all those groups to drop their NRA benefits programs, and I have no doubt that they're also the ones who increased the potential value of the goodwill and publicity Dick's is getting from this move to the point that its value was potentially greater than the value of lost sales and potential boycott from hard core pro-gun types.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, dschuler said:

Can you actually say they're giving up revenue and profits?  They haven't sold AR15 type weapons except in their Field and Stream branded stores since Sandy Hook.   I imagine a small portion of their gun sales are to people under 21.  The publicity and positive image that they'll get from this will likely increase their business from people that support gun control, which is the majority of the population.   It's a positive move, but that doesn't mean it isn't profit driven.

I totally support them for doing this and I hope it leads other corporations to do the same, but I don't think that they're making a sacrifice here.

Just a quick update on my Fed Ex position. My rep typically responds within the hour to my emails.  I've not heard a word from her since I voiced my complaint but I did get the read receipt...  

• Like 4

Usually order golf balls of Amazon. Will buy from Dick’s now

32 minutes ago, dschuler said:

All companies aren't all evil.

Some do both good and bad things, in fact, most fit there.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, the rover said:

Can you actually say they're giving up revenue and profits?  They haven't sold AR15 type weapons except in their Field and Stream branded stores since Sandy Hook.   I imagine a small portion of their gun sales are to people under 21.  The publicity and positive image that they'll get from this will likely increase their business from people that support gun control, which is the majority of the population.   It's a positive move, but that doesn't mean it isn't profit driven.

I totally support them for doing this and I hope it leads other corporations to do the same, but I don't think that they're making a sacrifice here.

Their Twitter feed would say otherwise.  It was a very courageous thing to do.  Yes, activists have a role to play.  But activists don’t have to answer to millions of angry customers either like ##### Sporting Goods does.  

What forum are we living in where ##### Sporting Goods is hashed out?

Edited by dschuler

Their Twitter feed would say otherwise.  It was a very courageous thing to do.  Yes, activists have a role to play.  But activists don’t have to answer to millions of angry customers either like ##### Sporting Goods does.  

What world are we forum are we living in where ##### Sporting Goods is hashed out?

Where on their twitter feed does it mention whether they are expecting to lose profits?  This is no different than companies that committed to clean energy despite the US pulling out of the Paris accord.  It's socially conscious and popular, but also profitable.  

They did the right thing, they deserve credit.

And for the record, most of us "corporation haters" don't think they're the sum total of evil, we just think corporations hold way too much sway in government, aren't held as accountable as they should be, and have undue influence on day to day life for a lot of people in the U.S. Things are out of balance in the relationship between individuals and corporations, nearly completely in the favor of corporations.

• Like 5

Just now, Gr00vus said:

They did the right thing, they deserve credit.

And for the record, most of us "corporation haters" don't think they're the sum total of evil, we just think corporations hold way too much sway in government, aren't held as accountable as they should be, and have undue influence on day to day life for a lot of people in the U.S. Things are out of balance in the relationship between individuals and corporations, nearly completely in the favor of corporations.

I give them credit (and will definitely give them more of my business).   I just don't think that they aren't doing it solely for moral purposes.  I'm sure that they weighed the publicity and popularity of this decision against any backlash they may face.   I give more credit to the Parkland kids that lit a fire under this movement.  

14 minutes ago, SinbadTheSailor said:

All companies aren't all evil.

Some do both good and bad things, in fact, most fit there.  

But we can agree that Monsanto is pure evil, right?

• Like 7

1 minute ago, the rover said:

I give them credit (and will definitely give them more of my business).   I just don't think that they aren't doing it solely for moral purposes.  I'm sure that they weighed the publicity and popularity of this decision against any backlash they may face.   I give more credit to the Parkland kids that lit a fire under this movement.  

Agreed. I wrote something similar upthread. Still, in this case I don't think Dick's was being singled out for scorn, they probably have cost themselves some revenue by not offering these weapons for sale. Maybe in the grand scheme of things it was a small percentage of their overall revenue, but its probably not nothing.

18 minutes ago, dschuler said:

Not going to lie, I think Joe may have put that in place so that I don't get myself banned every time I respond to a Stealthcat post. 

6 minutes ago, JuniorNB said:

Not going to lie, I think Joe may have put that in place so that I don't get myself banned every time I respond to a Stealthcat post. 

But Dick is fine.

2 hours ago, the rover said:

Will the NRA boycott Dick's Sporting Goods?

Private action where the government won't act.  Good for them.  

Gonna spend a couple hundred dollars at Dick's this weekend.  Need a new kettle bell and some camping gear, some new disc golf frisbees... maybe some 5.11 tactical gear if it's on sale. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cockroach said:

Gonna spend a couple hundred dollars at Dick's this weekend.  Need a new kettle bell and some camping gear, some new disc golf frisbees... maybe some 5.11 tactical gear if it's on sale. 

I'm going to buy six handguns.  

When did it become "outdated" to believe that politicians should represent their constituents instead of large companies?  :oldunsure: 

• Like 2

Trump figuring this all out. Said today he would take guns away from “crazy people” and worry about due process later.

He’s coming for your guns people. 

• Like 5

The statement from DICK'S was a little more political than it needed to be, IMO. They're going to lose more sales from the right than they will gain from the left.

Edited by Joe Summer

22 minutes ago, The Commish said:

When did it become "outdated" to believe that politicians should represent their constituents instead of large companies?  :oldunsure: 

Right about when Mitt Romney said that corporations were people too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

The statement from DICK'S was a little more political than it needed to be, IMO. They're going to lose more sales from the right than they will gain from the left.

Doubt it.   Guns are only a portion of their sales, and most gun owners support reasonable gun control.   The NRA doesn't speak for the majority of Americans, or even the majority of gun owners.  Since Trump is coming out in favor of reasonable restrictions, that's going to gut a lot of this "they're taking away our guns" rhetoric.  The NRA is taking it from the left, the right and the private sector.

Edited by the rover
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, The General said:

Trump figuring this all out. Said today he would take guns away from “crazy people” and worry about due process later.

He’s coming for your guns people. 

I can’t wait to see the knots that Trumpites tie themselves into on this one.

1 hour ago, Workhorse said:

I can’t wait to see the knots that Trumpites tie themselves into on this one.

I think they’ll just blow right by it or maybe they they’ll just roll over like they do for everything else the dope says.

Edited by The General
  • Like 1

Trump picking fights with Jeff Sessions and the NRA. It's like Christmas came early.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, the rover said:
33 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Right about when Mitt Romney said that corporations were people too

:lmao:  Good point.  We really do live in a crazy country.

5 minutes ago, dschuler said:

The people who bash corporations do so for reasons completely and totally different from anything related to this issue. Tim made a really dumb initial argument on this front. No clue why others are going along with this bizarre argument. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dschuler said:

try penis sporting goods.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The General said:

I bought some sweet Nikes at Penis Sporting Goods today

:lmao:

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, zoonation said:

try penis sporting goods.

“More than just balls”

• Like 12

6 hours ago, the rover said:

Doubt it.   Guns are only a portion of their sales, and most gun owners support reasonable gun control.   The NRA doesn't speak for the majority of Americans, or even the majority of gun owners.  Since Trump is coming out in favor of reasonable restrictions, that's going to gut a lot of this "they're taking away our guns" rhetoric.  The NRA is taking it from the left, the right and the private sector.

Amazing. I'm sure the NRA will be left standing, but nice seeing them take it from rationality for a change. Gun nuts have been ruling the roost for too long.

These changes that are being talked about are so ridiculously small in the big picture. Age to buy an assault rifle pushed back 3 years to same age you can buy a beer and strengthened checks to make sure a lunatic can’t have one. 

Whoa, slow down fellas. 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2018 at 10:05 PM, Mr. Know-It-All said:

First National Bank of Omaha surprised me.  Headquartered in Nebraska (a predominantly red state) with credit card processing center in South Dakota (another predominantly red state) and affiliate banks in Iowa, Colorado, Texas, and Kansas (all hunting states).  Bold move.

This one also surprised me.  Like you said, their geographic footprint is a lot of red and a lot of hunting.  Which I presume is why they thought to issue an NRA-themed credit card.  

But wow, they moved quickly to dump that product.  Did so without a lot of public pressure.  And they are a privately-held company, so it wasn't like their stock started tanking because of bad news.  

Haven't heard of any backlash against them.  And their logo pops up in the spread with all the other corporations that dumped NRA discounts and products when the news media covers a story about NRA boycotts and such.

Gotta love the cesspool of Facebook.  Today was sharing memes complaining about people applauding corporations for cutting ties with the NRA, but people throw a fit over bakers not wanting to serve a certain type of folk.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The General said:

These changes that are being talked about are so ridiculously small in the big picture. Age to buy an assault rifle pushed back 3 years to same age you can buy a beer and strengthened checks to make sure a lunatic can’t have one. 

Whoa, slow down fellas. 

Sorry if you hate progress 

10 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

This one also surprised me.  Like you said, their geographic footprint is a lot of red and a lot of hunting.  Which I presume is why they thought to issue an NRA-themed credit card.  

But wow, they moved quickly to dump that product.  Did so without a lot of public pressure.  And they are a privately-held company, so it wasn't like their stock started tanking because of bad news.  

Haven't heard of any backlash against them.  And their logo pops up in the spread with all the other corporations that dumped NRA discounts and products when the news media covers a story about NRA boycotts and such.

I believe most gun owners support banning assault weapons and universal background checks. I think it's an extremely vocal minority that complains about anti NRA nonsense on otherwise responsible arguments. 

• Like 1