What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone need a bat for travel ball or HS? (1 Viewer)

Damn those are some good deals.  Just a little too big for my 8th graders.  Some of those bats retail for over 400 bucks.  

Have you purchased something from this website before?  If you win the auction is it a hassle to get your item?    Thanks. 

Damn those are some good deals.  Just a little too big for my 8th graders.  Some of those bats retail for over 400 bucks.  

Have you purchased something from this website before?  If you win the auction is it a hassle to get your item?    Thanks. 
Agreed, great deals, but some look used. They have Marucci Cat 5 bats for cheap, but they are up to the Cat 7 model now. (My son uses the cat 7, loves it) But for these prices, these could be great cage bats.

Do these meet the new rules of USA baseball this year? 
No, i didnt see any. Looks like most are senior league drop 3 or 5, bbcor bats. (Which, fyi, little league just ok’d for 50/70 and junior division as of 2/15. Previously only senior division was exempt from the new standards.)

How much difference does a $400 bat make over one you can buy off the shelf from say #####?  I can see walk-up-into-the pitch-softball guy spending huge coin for a bat, but travel ball dad?

How much difference does a $400 bat make over one you can buy off the shelf from say #####?  I can see walk-up-into-the pitch-softball guy spending huge coin for a bat, but travel ball dad?
Travel ball Dad's and Mom's spend a lot more than just 400 bucks for a bat.   You also have your practice bat for around 100 plus bucks.  Gloves that can range from 200 and up to whatever you want to spend.  Bat bag, cleats, team fees.    And, that is not counting gas money, dining, and hotel room fees.      That 400 dollar bat is a drop in the bucket. 

Travel ball Dad's and Mom's spend a lot more than just 400 bucks for a bat.   You also have your practice bat for around 100 plus bucks.  Gloves that can range from 200 and up to whatever you want to spend.  Bat bag, cleats, team fees.    And, that is not counting gas money, dining, and hotel room fees.      That 400 dollar bat is a drop in the bucket. 
Yea I get that, I was more curious about how much better a $400 bat performs in the hands of a kid vs a regular bat.

Yea I get that, I was more curious about how much better a $400 bat performs in the hands of a kid vs a regular bat.
Baseball will come off the bat faster when comparing $$$ bats vs $ bats.    But, I would say that up until age 8 it doesn't matter much.   

I think there is a definite “cool” factor there.  I am just happy if my boy makes contact with the ball.

i was thinking of grabbing one of the bats so I can hit to him.  Using his bat one handed just doesn’t wor that well.

What are you guys thoughts on an all purpose glove for me?  I always had Mizuno and my current glove is Louisville Slugger Omaha, but my son (ok I did) left it outside and now it’s covered in mildew.  I have always wanted a really nice glove like a Nokona that I can also pass down, but $300 just to play catch is a lot of dough.  Any thoughts as to other brands?

I played with a $20 Kmart bat growing up and always batted clean up.  I think parents just want to give their kids any edge they can, and I understand that.

Wish these were softball.

Kicksrock

Bats are like golf drivers

When the new year model comes out you get the previous year for cheaper.

Most bats will last more than a year

Last edited by a moderator:
Buyers must pick up their purchases...that puts a damper on things. 

Anyway, this is a timely thread as I am shopping for a new bat for my son.  Any of you baseball guys have a good recommendation that won't break the bank?  He is 6' 2" and 160 lbs.  He is in 9th grade and now must move to a drop 3.  He was using a drop 5 last season with some success.  He seems to be more of power hitter than a contact guy...keep trying to shorten up his swing a little.   Been looking at this 2017 Rawlings Velo debating on pulling the trigger...or getting it as part of one of the Bat Packs.  Thoughts?

Feels like a good resale opportunity if I don’t mind sitting on thousands of dollars of baseball bats my kids won’t be able to use for years.

Anyway, this is a timely thread as I am shopping for a new bat for my son.  Any of you baseball guys have a good recommendation that won't break the bank?  He is 6' 2" and 160 lbs.  He is in 9th grade and now must move to a drop 3.  He was using a drop 5 last season with some success.  He seems to be more of power hitter than a contact guy...keep trying to shorten up his swing a little.   Been looking at this 2017 Rawlings Velo debating on pulling the trigger...or getting it as part of one of the Bat Packs.  Thoughts?
 I like Justbats.com  a lot.   We purchased many bats from them in the past.  Luckily have a really good friend that works at a local hitting/pitching academy and get them at cost.  The markup is really not that high from what I have been told.     

I bought my son (5'6", 130, 7th grade) this bat (31', 26 oz.) for spring ball and he really likes it. Needed to move him to a drop 5 from a drop 10 before HS starts in 2 years so this was the move we made. Easton bought out Combat and apparently JustBats bought the rest of their inventory so it's the only place to buy them now. He had a Combat Vigor -10 prior to this and liked it so we just moved up to the next model. It seems to have good pop (based on his own feedback and the fact that a few of his teammates like to use it too).

The only difference between brand x and brand y is marketing and graphics - at least for the bats that have to conform to a BPF standard.  So BBCOR is BBCOR - there will be slight variations in how the weight is distributed (end load versus balanced load - but ultimately the exit velocity standards ensure that they all have to perform at the same standard due ot safety reasons.  Cracks me up to see pops shelling out $450 for the same performance that can be had for $140.

The only difference between brand x and brand y is marketing and graphics - at least for the bats that have to conform to a BPF standard.  So BBCOR is BBCOR - there will be slight variations in how the weight is distributed (end load versus balanced load - but ultimately the exit velocity standards ensure that they all have to perform at the same standard due ot safety reasons.  Cracks me up to see pops shelling out $450 for the same performance that can be had for $140.
Not to get in a pissing match but this site did tests on all bats and some bats are clear winners.   Over the years and numerous bat purchases, there is always a "hot bat" each season.  Sometimes you get a "HOT" bat, and other times you get one that sounds like it is dead = no pop when the ball is hit squarely.   My friend and I always joke that we need to start a bat company and sell them for 1k each. We both know a lot of parents that equate cost to performance. 

https://www.justbatreviews.com/raw-exit-speed-data/

Back in the market for a new BBCOR bat for my son. He’s been using a Marucci Cat 7 for the past 2 years, but moving up to a 33” bat for the fall H.S. Season. Looking at the 2020 Cat 8, but he’s been using a friend’s Rawlings Velo in the cage for a few weeks to get used to the longer/heavier bat, and he seems to like the balance on the Velo. I’ve found the 2019 Velo new on Amazon for $150, which is 1/2 the price of the Cat 8, but don’t know much about it other than it’s the model “below” the Quatro.

thoughts or opinions appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread