What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cancer sucks so ####### much (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
I have an internet friend who I've only met once but I've grown close to as she runs a support group on Facebook for my daughter's genetic condition. Anyway, she's had stage 4 colon cancer for a few years now. She's only 44. Its definitely terminal. She's had over 50 doses of chemo trying to prolong her life. She's trying to live her life and went upstate this past week to go snowmobiling. Something she has done her whole life and the family loves doing. Her daughter was driving with her riding as passenger and they hit a few small bumps and it broke her back. All the doses of chemo caused osteoporosis. She was taken for emergency surgery. The doctor told her if she didn't have surgery she'd be permanently paralyzed. So now she has to go through months of rehab just to walk again and this is all happening 6 hours away from her home. The whole thing is sickening. Cancer not only kills but it also breaks families while they fight the cancer. Cancer is pure evil. I've lost my mother and MIL to cancer and this poor woman with 2 children and such a strong advocate for women that have the condition that killed my daughter is suffering so much. It just breaks my heart.

I have an internet friend who I've only met once but I've grown close to as she runs a support group on Facebook for my daughter's genetic condition. Anyway, she's had stage 4 colon cancer for a few years now. She's only 44. Its definitely terminal. She's had over 50 doses of chemo trying to prolong her life. She's trying to live her life and went upstate this past week to go snowmobiling. Something she has done her whole life and the family loves doing. Her daughter was driving with her riding as passenger and they hit a few small bumps and it broke her back. All the doses of chemo caused osteoporosis. She was taken for emergency surgery. The doctor told her if she didn't have surgery she'd be permanently paralyzed. So now she has to go through months of rehab just to walk again and this is all happening 6 hours away from her home. The whole thing is sickening. Cancer not only kills but it also breaks families while they fight the cancer. Cancer is pure evil. I've lost my mother and MIL to cancer and this poor woman with 2 children and such a strong advocate for women that have the condition that killed my daughter is suffering so much. It just breaks my heart.
So sorry for your friend as it is evil....my family was broken by cancer as it took my dad when I was 18. Not only did it take him but the 3 years of breaking down and eating away a big strong man into a frail person who broke bones just shaving his face was a memory I will never forget.  

Ugh.  I can't even imagine the one thing on top of the first.  I hope your friend gets the best ride possible from here.

Absolutely sucks.  Sorry to hear of your friend.  Not to distract from your story, but to add a little more misery to this thread and topic... My brother-in-law (just turned 50) had a seizure about a month ago.  Diagnosis = Glioblastoma.  Had to have brain surgery to remove the tumor.  This aggressive form of brain cancer has an average life expectancy of about 14 months from diagnosis.  He has a 16 yr old daughter, a 13 yr old son, and an elderly mother whom he cared for who can no longer walk and is effectively blind.  Lots of suck to go around when it comes to this dreaded disease.

Christ, that is horrible.   Is there anything that could have been done within reason to detect something like that earlier?  Would it even have made a difference if they had done so?

Prayers to her and her family.

I think everyone has been affected by cancer in some way. Lost my dad to cancer when he was 64, then my mom.

Friends in town now have their 16 year old son in treatment for colon cancer. Surgery, radiation, etc, Prognosis is iffy.

Really good people and the entire family is going thru hell.

Cancer doesn't care if your young, old, rich, poor, ... or how good of a person you are. It can strike anyone at anytime and does. Fn sucks.

Cancer does suck hard.

And while this doesn't help those who are currently or who have suffered, cancer treatments have been improving for the last few decades.  In some cases, what was once a death sentence no longer is, childhood Leukemia for example.  And with our ever expanding knowledge of the human genome, more and more treatments using immunotherapies are coming on line.  I really think that over the next two decades, cancer treatments and cures will continue to be developed at an ever increasing pace.

And as someone with lynch syndrome who's had cancer and will likely get it again, this gives me hope.

Christ, that is horrible.   Is there anything that could have been done within reason to detect something like that earlier?  Would it even have made a difference if they had done so?
I guess if she knew perhaps she wouldn't have gone snowmobiling. I don't know if it could have been caught earlier.

We found something the FFA can agree on; it’s a shame that’s it's something negative as our collective hatred of cancer.  :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you are referring to my story and not the OP...I don't know.  The seizure was the first sign of anything.  That is what prompted the scan that detected the tumor.  I am guessing it wouldn't make a difference.  This is gliobastoma is one of the most aggressive types of cancer.

Assuming you are referring to my story and not the OP...I don't know.  The seizure was the first sign of anything.  That is what prompted the scan that detected the tumor.  I am guessing it wouldn't make a difference.  This is gliobastoma is one of the most aggressive types of cancer.
Sorry, was responding to the OP but just read your post and I'm sorry to hear about your brother in law.   My aunt died a few years back at 60 from gliobastoma. 

Sorry to hear about that.  My granny passed away from ovarian cancer.  It was a long time ago but I remember how disheartening it was to see her during the hospice phase.  

I've always felt like this was such an important article.  If it ever comes to pass for me, barring some miracle advancement in cancer treatment, I don't plan on fighting it. I'll probably just go to Disney World.  

How Doctors Die, by Ken Murray.  

Yep, F U cancer. Lost my best  friend last month to throat cancer. 2 days after his  funeral his dad passed away. 2 funerals in 5 days from the same family. So sad. 

UUUgghhh.  Thoughts and prayers.  Lost my grandfather to it.  My parents have survived a combined 6 bouts of different types.  One of my closest friends of 20 years buried his 19 yo son a couple months ago.

####### heartbreaking.  Is there anyone here who hasn't been affected?

Users who are viewing this thread